logo

Fraud and cheating

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sears, Hoffman Estates Complaints & Reviews - Poor incompetent and uncaring service

Sears Contacts & Informations

Sears

Posted:    ljs911

Poor incompetent and uncaring service

Sears Inc.
Sears Corporate Office
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I am writing to you with a sense of desperation, as I have been unable to get service for my Refrigerator which has had a service contract from Sears since I purchased it. Both my wife and I have been repeatedly lied to, mislead, and in general, treated with a complete lack of compassion or understanding. I’d like to give you a brief history of what has been going on although I am sure if you access my file in your records by my name, address and telephone number you will see our repeated attempts to try to get the service we paid for.

On Sunday, May 18, 2008 at approximately 2:30 pm my wife heard a loud irregular noise coming from our refrigerator. When she opened the doors she found the lights were out in both refrigerator and freezer and noticed that rather than the gentle hum of the motor there was silence. She immediately brought the matter to my attention. I checked my circuit breaker panel, which has a dedicated line for the refrigerator, and visually noted no change in the switch. My wife called 1-800-4MY-HOME and scheduled an appointment for service for the following day.

On the morning of Monday, May 19, 2008 while I was waiting for the service man to arrive I went to my circuit breaker panel and threw the circuit breaker for the line for my refrigerator. I went upstairs and noticed that the power had returned to the unit, but when I opened the freezer door, I noticed there was a strange odor but was not sure if it was related. I had a doctor’s appointment so I had to leave before the serviceman came, but my wife stayed home and waited to receive service on the appliance. That afternoon the serviceman came, I don’t know his name but his ID is #0881045 his name must be on record concerning this service incident. He asked my wife what had happened and he immediately informed her before inspecting the refrigerator that it was probably a problem with our electrical system and there was nothing he could do. He asked for a vacuum cleaner which my wife provided. He vacuumed the front of the bottom on the refrigerator, which incidentally was already vacuumed and clean, for approximately 30 seconds. He replaced the bottom guard, he opened the freezer door, noticed condensation and informed my wife that first we should consult our owner’s manual to determine what type of noise our refrigerator is supposed to make, and second that we must have left the freezer door open which caused the condensation and said there was nothing more that was needed to be done and left.

Mr. Johnson, both my wife and I have owned refrigerators our entire life; we were born after the era of the ice box, so we are absolutely familiar with the sounds a refrigerator is supposed to make. This was not a noise which is made during the normal operation of a refrigerator. Also, he made no indication as to the odor that emanated from the refrigerator. In my opinion this technician is incompetent and could have prevented the following chain of events. Unfortunately I was not here when the serviceman came as possibly I would have been able to make sure that the serviceman did his job. Rather he took advantage of my wife, who is not familiar with the technical aspects of the operation of a refrigerator.

By the time I returned home it was approximately 5pm and the house reeked of a strange chemical smell. At which time we placed a follow-up call to 1-800-4MY-HOME to reschedule another appointment. Incidentally, by this time there was a large puddle of water on the floor in front of the freezer door and my frozen food was beginning to thaw. When we spoke to the dispatcher they informed us that since the Monday service call had not cleared from the computer they could not schedule a new service call and that we would have to call back the following morning. As to the chemical odor, the service representative told my wife he would make a “health, or safety” report and someone would get back to us shortly in regard to the odor. That night no one had gotten back to us and my wife began to experience difficulty breathing as the result of this chemical odor she needed to take medication for her condition brought about by this gas, and I had to thoroughly vent the house before we went back home. That night I had my wife sleep at her sister’s house and I returned home and opened all the windows and activated my attic fan in an effort to clear the house of the gas.

I picked my wife up first thing Tuesday morning, returned home, and called the service center. They informed me that they would not be able to schedule an appointment until Wednesday, at which time I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was transferred to Vanessa at your corporate offices who kindly said she would look into the matter while I was on hold and informed me that their service vehicles were vandalized so they couldn’t schedule me for that day, but that they would put me on the schedule for Wednesday unless a vehicle became available sooner. They gave us an appointment for Wednesday between 8am-12pm.

Both my wife and I waited for the serviceman, At approximately 1PM Mr. Lenox, I.D. #13540 arrived at my home, he appeared to be very knowledgeable and professional, and immediately recognized the odor as refrigerant. Mr. Lenox pulled out and inspected the rear of the refrigerator and then opened the freezer, removed the cover to the evaporator and found two holes in the side of the evaporator that apparently blew out which started the release of gas on Sunday. He also verified that all our frozen food was ruined but was unsure as to whether we were covered for the loss on our service agreement. Mr. Lenox informed us that the compressor, the evaporator, the coils and some other part needed to be replaced. He said that it has been his experience that a job as extensive as this has never worked successfully. He called his manager to explain the situation advising him of his lack of confidence in replacing the parts but his manager insisted that he first replace the parts and if that doesn’t work then Sears would replace the refrigerator for the customer. Naturally, when Mr. Lenox informed me of this I was unhappy with his manager’s decision because at this point it has been four days since we have been without a working refrigerator, we lost all our perishable items and at best the parts will come by the 22nd of May at which time I call for an appointment which wouldn’t be until at best the 23rd. Having no control over the situation, I patiently agreed. He informed me that the parts will be sent to my home, at which time I should call for a third service appointment.

On Thursday, May 22, 2008 I called the service department to inquire as to when the parts would be delivered as I have been taking my family to restaurants for 5 days now and it’s beginning to get costly. The dispatcher I spoke to was very helpful and informed me that the parts were to be delivered that day, the 22nd and she would go ahead and schedule the service call for Friday, May 23rd so that I would not have to go through the holiday weekend without a refrigerator I would like to commend that person but she hung up before I was able to get her name or I.D. #. I was informed that the serviceman would be here between 8am and 5pm. The parts did arrive later that day, Thursday the 23rd of May, as the service dispatcher promised.

On the morning of Friday, May 23, 2008 I called to find out approximately what time the service technician would be coming as my wife had a doctor’s appointment and I had an emergency dental appointment, and wanted to make sure that one of us would be here for the serviceman’s arrival. I was told that he would be here sometime between 12pm and 5pm. My wife and I left at 9:30 for our respective medical appointments, and I put my home phone on call forwarding to my cell phone so as not to miss any phone calls from Sears.

While I was in the dentist chair, a call was forwarded to my cell phone from the technician, inquiring about the number of boxes that were delivered. I informed him that three boxes were delivered, he told me that there should have been four boxes as four parts were ordered, and it wouldn’t make any sense for him to come if all the parts were not available. But he did say that he would check with his dispatcher to see if all the parts were delivered. When I got home from the dentist I called the dispatcher and informed him what the driver said to me, and he verified that all the parts were delivered and advised me that he would notify the serviceman. I asked him “can he guarantee that I will get my repair today?” ? He told me he would try, at which time I asked to speak to a manager. He forwarded me to your corporate office, customer care department, where I spoke to Mike, I.D. #54272. I explained the entire story to Mike, he looked up our records and told me he understood my frustration, put me on hold, spoke to the dispatcher then got back to me and assured me that the service technician would be there to try to repair my refrigerator, if the repairs were unsuccessful Sears would authorize a replacement refrigerator. He even gave me his extension at 1-800-609-5650, extension 18473 and told me to contact him personally if there were any additional problems as Sears had dropped the ball 1st on Monday with an incompetent service representative, 2nd Monday night by not having someone call back concerning the safety issue which was posed by the leaking refrigerant that was reported, and 3rd that Sears allowed my family to be without refrigeration for 6 days now.

At 2:30pm I started to get a little nervous because the service technician who came on Wednesday informed me that this was a 5 hour job and it was starting to get late in the day. I called the service department and they assured me that the serviceman was on his way to my location. I asked to speak to a manager, they forwarded me to the corporate office again, and I spoke to Ann, ID #631138. I asked her to connect me with Mike at extension #18473, she told me she could not transfer me but had me repeat my entire story again. Then she asked me if she could put me on hold, called the dispatcher and assured me that I would get my service call today.

At 3pm I called the corporate office and spoke to Ben, ID #69375 and he assured me that the serviceman was en route after checking with the dispatcher. I asked him if I could speak to his supervisor and he informed me that the manager was away from his desk but would get back to me before 5pm.

At 3:30pm I called corporate office and spoke to Jessica, ID #49597 and asked her to transfer me to Mike at extension 18473 and she told me that she was unable to transfer calls. I asked her if I could speak to a manager and she told me that there was no manager available and that she was the highest level of contact I could speak to and that their supervisors are only there for quality control. Again, I explained my entire story which she verified by the notes on our account. She asked if she could put me on hold, she spoke to the dispatcher, got back to me and told me that the service technician was on the way.

At 4:30 the service technician telephoned and said that he was stuck in traffic but was on his way and that he would be here within 45 minutes to an hour.

At 4:45 we received a phone call from the dispatcher saying that we would not be receiving service today as this is a two-man job and the helper was not available to assist the service technician. She told me that she would have to reschedule our appointment and my wife told her that it would have to be first thing tomorrow morning. She then replied that since it was a holiday weekend no service could be made until Tuesday.

At this point my wife and I were beside ourselves with a sense of frustration and powerlessness. We have been dealing with incompetence, lies, and treated with a total lack of professional courtesy. I placed another call to the corporate office and spoke to Dannia #11514. I explained the entire situation yet again which, as you can imagine, I was tired of explaining when they have it all written out in front of them in their computer records. I must say that Dannia had very poor professional telephone ethics; she informed me that she couldn’t transfer me to Mike at extension 18473, that her supervisor, Carlos, was out of the building and would get back to us Saturday morning. At this point for my own health and wellbeing I had to stop pursuing trying to get satisfaction as I was getting nowhere.

At 3:19pm today, while in the process of composing this letter, I received a telephone call from Pat, ID #76307 (who initially refused to give me her I.D. but then checked with her manager and was ordered to do so) and asked me if she could reschedule my appointment for Wednesday, May 28th!!! I asked her if she was aware that they cancelled my service appointment on Friday and told her that I wanted someone here first thing on Tuesday morning. She told me that no one was available at that time. I asked her to please connect me with her manager and she informed me that she could not transfer me and that she would have her manager call me back. A few minutes later at 3:28pm Charles Smith at the call center (who claims to have no ID number) telephoned and said (as if he was doing us a favor) that he was setting up an appointment at their earliest convenience for Wednesday, May 28, 2008.

Mr. Johnson I have no idea what is going to happen next but I think you would agree with me that we’ve passed the point of reasonable customer service. It is now Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 5pm. It is obvious I will not have any refrigeration until possibly Wednesday which will make a total of 11 days without refrigeration. I have had to feed my family at restaurants for each of these days. I have had to spend an evening in the emergency room. I have had to throw away $350 worth of food. I had to cancel a family barbeque that we had planned for Memorial Day weekend. I have absolutely no confidence that when the service technician does replace these parts that my refrigerator will operate properly for any reasonable length of time, if it operates at all, as your service technician informed me that he has never seen a refrigerator work after this type of repair.

Mr. Johnson I am sure if you review my purchase history you will see that my wife and I have been loyal customers for many years, both in our purchases and our service contracts. I have also influenced many people to shop at Sears as I have always been pleased with your company and have never run into this level of incompetence and disregard for the customer’s satisfaction. I am writing to you as a last ditch effort to avert the continuing injustice that has resulted as policies that you may be unaware of. Also please be advised that I am forwarding a copy of this to the Better Business Bureau of New York and to consumer advocates at WNYC Channel 5 Fox “Call for Action” and WABC Channel 7 News, “Help Me Howard”, as I am just one poor consumer without any leverage caught under the Sears corporate rock.

I have tried to name as many contacts as I could so that these people can be instructed on how to handle this type of situation should it occur in the future as I am sure you wouldn’t ever want your family to go through a situation like this.

I hope to hear from you in the very near future. I have gone through the expense of sending this letter via FedEx so it will arrive in a timely manner. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours,

New York, N.Y. 10023-6298
(V)212-456-7777
(F)212-456-1424
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Feb, 2009 by   ruth offutt 0 Votes
Sears home repair tech came out on 12/15/08 to repair my Aprilaire humidifer that is under the Sear maintenance agreement. At that time the repair tech said the humidifer was unrepairable and would turn the ticket in to have it replace

On 12/24 the cover on the item fell off and scared the devil out of my grandcildren who were here for the Xmas Holiday. On 12/26 I call Sears home repair to get an update on when they were going to replace the items since the cover fell off and the heat was not circulating in my kids upstairs bedrooms (rooms extremley cold), the heat is staying mostly in the basement.

As of today 2/2 I still do not have the item replaced. I have talked to the repair shop and keep getting transfreed to another department after department or put on hold for an hours.

On 1/23 they send another repair tech out and he too agreeed that the item was unrepairable and he called the repair shop and informed them that they need to replace the item.

My house is very very cold and my husband is going thru renal failure and had to go to the hospital on Monday, 1/26.

What do I need to do to get the work completed once and for all; I am very upset with Sears. I throught if you take out the Sear home warranty maintenance agreement you wouldn't have to go thru this.

Right now I am afaird the the entire humidifer is going to fall off of my furnance; will that cause a fire in my house
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   Patrick J. Keating 0 Votes
Lawrence,
Do not waste your time there is no one in Sears that cares. I no this because my Kenmore range top(galss) split and I ordered a new top on Jan 6th, 2009. They got my credit card payment put through on Jan 10th, 2009. Today is June 1st, 2009 and after many call to both Sears and Whirlpool who makes the Kenmore range all I received was lies and condescending remarks.

My range is 5+ years old and it cost way over a thousand dollars. Now I am out of work, unfortunately no unemployment and no disability through no fault of my own. I cannot afford a new range.

The best they offered was to reverse the payment, which still leaves me without a stove.

Sears needs to put pressure on Whirlpool.

Now if I am watching tv and a sears commercial comes on I change the channel. I also pull all sears sales fliers from my news paper and trash them immediately.

I live in Jacksonville and ordered my part through the Orange Park, Florida sears parts and service. I recommend no one should ever do this if it is avoidable.

Wish someone is Sears Would

Patrick J. Keating
 16th of Jun, 2009 by   Barry Fetzer 0 Votes
For 40 years I have purchased automotive parts from Sears, in the Johnstown, Pennsylvania Service Center. Two years ago I purchased a complete set of shocks for my Ford Exployer with a lifetime guarantee, the roads where I live, even though recently re-constructed by PENNDOT are like washboards, my Lifetime Shocks took a beating. I went to the Sears Automotive shop to get them replaced. Well they really have their people trained well, my Lifetime Shocks only mean I own them for a Lifetime. Their anti-customer relations people put my vehicle on a lift, and began finding other problems with my vehicle rather than replacing the shocks.

They wanted to make more money off me, they said my leaf spring shackels were in poor condition, and they wanted me to spend a thousand dollars to replace the leaf spring shackels?

Well I left the store, and had my vehicle examined at another merchantile, there was nothing wrong with my suspension.

Out of desperation I replaced the shocks, and it took care of the problem. I no longer get whip lash driving down Pennsylvania highways.

I would advise anyone, wanting to get your vehicle serviced at Sears, look elsewhere. Sears is no longer a trustworthy merchant.

As far as the man who wrote this article about his refrigerator, I purhased a Whirlpool from Sears last year, their people installed it, the refrigerator was set up unlevel, the front of the refrerator was three inches higher than the back, the men who delivered it were not foreign immigrants, they were cocky young men, perhaps sons of the people who are supervisors at the same Sears Center that installed my shocks.

Barry L Fetzer - age 61
Vintondale, PA. 15961
 3rd of Jul, 2009 by   Connie Harding 0 Votes
I have had similar problem with Sears since Monday when my air conditioner went out. I have been given the run around and have been made promises that have not been kept. I have been without air conditioner in 100+ degree temperature and No one at Sears Home Improvement Products Houston Office 713-896-6623 cares that I have a four year old in my home and that the temperatures are dangerously high. I am at my wits end trying to deal with these Bozos.
 3rd of Jul, 2009 by   Denise Sandifar 0 Votes
I have been experiencing the exact type of treatment from the Sears Customer Service Departments, including the National Customer Relations Department. I purchased an $1800 Snapper mower and after 3 months of actual mowing the front wheel system has broken down. It is under warrenty and I have been trying to get it fixed for over 30 days. Sears never returns a call when they say they will have someone return my call, I get passed from person to person and they all say the same thing and nobody helps me. By the time I get my mower fixed it will be winter and I won't need the stupid thing. I have asked for them to just replace it with a different one. No such luck. I was told by a National Customer Service Relations representative that if Sears could not get it fixed in 30 days they replace my mower. Today is the 30th day and I called to see about getting my replacement and was told that there was not such policy. It is impossible to get a straight answer, a call back, or any real service from Sears. I would encourage EVERYBODY to buy from somebody, anybody, other that Sears.
Denise Sandifar
Clarksville, Tennessee
 12th of Aug, 2009 by   robertt 0 Votes
To Whom It May Concern:

How can you say…

“We believe this is the best value in America… Weather Handler LS, ” when the tires DO NOT EVEN EXIST?

Your National sales ad is bullshit!

If your sale was a so-called "National Event, " it would stand to reason that the tires would be available at SOME store, SOME where, within the United States...Yes? Then why are they not?

I have spoken with four different customer service agents at two different 1-800 #’s and the only answer I get is that they are unavailable. If that is the case, they why did you advertise them?

I am beginning to understand why Sears has had over six-teen thousand complaints filed against it in the last year alone with the BBB. I think I will go somewhere else to purchase my plasma screen TV.

I am grossly disturbed that your company apparently feels no implicit responsibility to provide the products you advertise or … say you have, to the consumer.

I suppose the next step is filing a complaint with corporate and the Federal Trade Commission concerning the Medford store.

Robert Glidewell
Eagle Point, OR
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   Nina C. 0 Votes
This past Sunday we tried to return a television that was bought 13 days prior that had pixels already going out on the set. We wanted to exchange the unit and we were being told by the manager that their repair center had to first try to fix it and deem it unrepairable before they'd do an exchange despite the fact that they had no written documentation to back this up and everything I shown them on the return policy stated that if we weren't completely satisfied we could return the product with it's original packaging (which we had with us) within 90 days of purchase for a refund. My fiancee became irrate and their manager called the police to try and have my fiancee arrested in front of my 8 year old son because we weren't leaving until we saw this so called policy he was referencing or processed the exchange. In the end, my fiancee spoke with the police and left the store while I stayed and got to a resolution with the manager. I'm sitting here typing this in front of the new TV.
Nina
Highland, IN
 8th of Sep, 2009 by   roriks 0 Votes
September 8, 2009

From: Rick

I had my GE refridgerator repaired in Jan. of 2009, with new parts by a Ge service tech. It crapped out 7-8 months later with the exact same symptoms. I notified Sears of my frustration with them and their poor products; this was the second time I had it out with them over their poor products and disgraceful customer service. They want to hold me liable for a service and a product that I entrusted to them and had already done my part to uphold my end of the deal. I explained to them that all of my newborn's formula and everything was in that refridgerator and that was my main concern and also that I didn't feel like it was right to hold me liable for the exact same issue that I had just paid for a few months previously, that's horrific. I told the representative that I would take my business elsewhere for good and not to bother sending another tech with the another bill. I will not use Sears again.

Thanks for listening,
Ricky
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   tlm 87 0 Votes
Based on the comments above, I have a feeling my slide into Sears hell has only just begun. Labor Day we purchased a GE refrigerator, it took six days to get it delivered. When it finally came the front control panel did not work. I signed on the delivery slip that it did not work and I would be getting a replacement, (this was hand written in by the delivery person). I was told he would be calling it in and that Sears would be calling me within the next few minutes with a date for replacement delivery. He left. I waited and waited and waited. I was over and hour late for a very special dinner with friends. I never received a call. This morning after dropping my daughter at school, I called the delivery center/customer service center.
First, they claimed to have called me, they did not and the # they had has caller ID for every # including hang ups. Answer was "oh". After that I was informed that they could not get me a replacement until October 24th!!! Unbelievable. I informed them this was unacceptable period. Then they came up with September 29th. This is close to three weeks away. I said you want me to have a non-working appliance for 3weeks? I was met with a lot of "I'm sorry, I'm sorry". I asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same song and dance accept she added that I could call up the sales guy and see if I could exchange it for another model. I explained I did not want another model, this was the model I wanted and I wanted it to work. Looking for the corprate office I came across this site. I agree 100% with everyone above, MYSELF AND MY FAMILY WILL NEVER BUY FROM SEARS AGAIN! Purchasing a product and expecting it to work seems like a surprise to these idiots. Never again.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Terri
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   kmark 0 Votes
Has anyone received a response. I looked for some sort of email contact information for people at Sears - nothing beyond the flunkies at the end of the 800 number. I appreciate everyone's frustration. I will be reporting the fraud I experienced at Sears to the BBB, National Fraud Information Center* and anyone else I can think of. Suggestions??

*http://www.fraud.org/info/repoform.htm
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   Robert McMurray 0 Votes
10/2/09
My name is Robert McMurray from Bowling Green, KY and I have a HUGE complaint towards Sears. A few months ago I rec a letter from a collection agency- Central Portfolio Control, saying I owed Sears $224.52! I did not know what was going on. Just purchased a vacuum from Sears and put if on my Sears card, which I ended up taking back a couple of weeks later. My balance on my Sears card stated $0.00. So, couldn't imagine what in the world this charge was. Called the collection agency and they said it was from a purchase that I had made back in 2004, 5 years ago. The amt. of the purchase was $27 and sum odd change. That the amt. of $224.52 was from the late fees and interest. How in the Hell, you going to not send any kind of bill to someone, but yet wait 5 years later, turn them into a collection agency and expect them to pay that amt.?

I had excellant credit until this happened. All Sears could do was apologize for the inconvenience. NO, I want the problem taken care of and my credit restored. Sears admitted it was their fault, then all I'm asking is to take care of it then. I spoke with the collection agency that I sent a despute letter to, they were supposed to send me detailed info. towards the purchase I supposedly made. But, of course they never did.

Months later, instead I get another bill today, from a different collection agency- Northland Group, Inc. saying the same thing. That I owe Sears, except now the amt. is $233.07...

I will never buy or recomend Sears to anybody if this is the way they screw people over.

Thanks, Rob
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   pbw1114 0 Votes
We bought a Sears Kenmore Lite Stove, five weeks ago we call for a repair crew to come out and fix the stove control panel, the self cleaning, and the door seals. The repair man who originaly came out stated that he would have to order the parts. A week later another repair man from "(A&E)" came out and told us we "did not need the parts and taken them with him" he also taken our stove apart and left it that way. We call and called, finaly a representative from Sears call us back stating that the parts had to be re-order all over again. "This Thanksgiving we had no safe working stove to cook on" are stove is still in parts, the door seal is still missing, the front control display is still hanging off. Everything in out home is Sears, the washer and drayer, the refrigerator, the Vacuuum cleaner, the stove, the Big Screen TV, all came from Sears. "I have never seen workman ship this poor" "Sears you are loosing one of your most loyal client".
 22nd of Dec, 2009 by   Patricia Seaney 0 Votes
Hi Friends,

I wanted to warn you about some bad business practices by Sears. I recently placed
an on-line order for pick up in the store. After the order was placed, I was called
by Sears in Chula vista informing me that this product was not available, and hadn’t
been available for over two days. I STILL, however was able to place the order.
I tried to cancel the order and was told I had to wait 7 to 10 days for the money to
show up back in my account. Now it’s the holidays, and this was not my fault.
They were of course able to deduct the amount out of my credit card account almost
instantaneously, however they couldn’t put it back for 7 to 10 days……even though it
was the holidays. Now I spend close to 3 hours on the phone with Sears trying to
resolve this…….all I got was lies and excuses. Do yourself a favor and do not purchase
anything from Sears. I am going to make it a campaign of mine to get as many people
as possible to stop shopping there. If that was their idea of customer service, I certainly
am not impressed. In today’s world there are so many other businesses that strive
to be all about the customer. Sears is not one of them. Tell all your friends. Forward
this e-mail to the all. Shop somewhere else, where they really appreciate the customer.
I am so disappointed. I have been a Sears customer for close to 40 years. Never again!
 8th of Jan, 2010 by   Kenny M. Jr. 0 Votes
My wife and I are going through the same thing with our heat pump. we have had not heat since dec. 7th 2009 we have been stood up on appointments left and right. The guy that is working on it has stated he does not know much about HVAC units. It is 16 degrees outside right now and we are running 2 little space heaters to keep warm. I am writing the BBB, Attorney General, I am actually hiring someone to fix it and fix it right as this is the 2nd time it has broke. and it's barely 3 years old last time was Feb. of 09 and it took them 1-1/2 months to fix it then. I am also getting an attorney.
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   TheDomz 0 Votes
2009/2010 - same issues with AE, poor service, poor customer service, multiple phones numbers and individuals with mutiple excuses.
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   Mrs. Allen 0 Votes
I have 8 children and have purchased 15 applicances from Sears. Every time I have purchased Kenmore product they have broken within the first year. They service is atrocious. They lie, deceive and don't keep appointments. They will not note anything in your file, so you have to go through the story 10 times. They tell you they need to have names of the people who lied. Then, if you get names, they say they have no way of knowing who they are. They will not look into a complaint. They will not give you a supervisor on the phone, but make you write letters. They are the most incompetent bunch of people I have ever dealt with. DON'T BUT AT SEARS!!!
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   avontini 0 Votes
We have almost same problems. We purchased a kenmore range in August 2009. We never used the broiler till recently. When we broiled steaks, the heat came out the vent and burnt the plastic covering and metal back. When we called to get it serviced, they said between 1pm and 5 pm. They showed up at 630. The repair man told me that the venting in my oven has a flaw and if I use the broiler or the self cleaning, it will burn again. He said he would replace it. I told him that I am concerned with a fire and he stated "just dont use broiler and self cleaning and you wont have a problem". We spent $1100.00 on this range and its still not even paid off. I called the 800 number and was told that unless the tech put what he told me in his report, they cannot replace it. The only thing they can do is have another tech come out and take a look at it. I set up another appointment and was told the same thing. The last tech called and told them he can replace the burnt parts and then he gave me a reciept and told me to go to the store and pick out another range. I went to sears, Ocean County mall, New Jersey. I then picked out another oven. The last tech told me which ones to look at. The people at the store were very nice and helpful. They then called the 800 number and they said they cannot replace it because the parts can be replaced and they were sorry. I got on the phone with them and told them what both techs told me and they said sorry, we will send you a 25 dollar gift card. Needless to say I was very upset! I was not taking no for an answer. She said the only thing she could do is send another tech to my house again and see what he says. I asked her if the tech states it will burn again, will We get a replacement? She said she doesnt know. She gave me a case number so I wont have to repeat myself every time I call. The set up another tech to come to my house tomorrow. We are so upset over this matter. The past 20 years, my husband and I purchased all our appliances from sears. Never again! The sears employees could not believe what was going on. They felt bad for me. They told me to contact corporate and BBB. I am not giving up. I will write to let you know what the ending result is. If there is anyone that can help with this matter please contact me...avontini@aol.com
 15th of Jan, 2010 by   Bear4tracks 0 Votes
I agree with all the people who have made complaints, however is this sight only here to air our frustrations or can we do something more to help our cause, I for one won't buy anymore large appliances, uto parts, or anything that has a warranty from Sears. Sears never contacted me on my complaint to this forum. We mights as well talk to a answering machine hooked up in Afghanistan that post our cmplaints on this sight.

bear4tracks@gmail.com
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   zippey 0 Votes
Lawerence,

I too have been a long time customer of Sears, but not anymore. This company really does not care about it's customers. Sears employees hang up on you, lie to you, double charge of services that is if they show up. And if you call Sears call center for repairs which by the way is out of the good ole USA they do not listen to you and most can not even speak english. So this is where I am at: It is obvious Sears does not need our business.
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   KarenA71 0 Votes
I have had an ongoing issue with Sears. We purchased 2 Kenmore Progressive vacuums from Sears in 2007 with 5 year warrantees. One of the vacuums almost caused a house fire when the plug frayed coming out of the vacuum. I called Sears to bring the vacuum for repairs. I was told they stopped doing repairs in my Frisco Texas store and I would need to bring it to the store that is in Carrollton Texas, which is about 30 minutes away from me. I told them at the time of purchase that I was assured repairs would be done in the Frisco store. I was told that they no longer do repairs in the store. I fought tooth and nail with them to ship my vacuum to Carrollton and then delivery it back to the Frisco store. I also demanded a loaner, since this clearly is a defect in the product. After a long battle in 2/2009 they took my vacuum in and gave me a loaner. I called every other week for a status update on my vacuum. They kept saying that it is not ready and it could take months to get back to the Frisco store. After almost a year I demanded to know what happened with my vacuum, since the second vacuum is now experiencing the same problem as my first vacuum. When I called and spoke to a manager I was told “Keep the loaner, because we cannot find your vacuum.” I was appalled by this response. I told the manager the second vacuum has fraying like the first one and he said “Well, you still have the loaner working.” Again, I was stunned by this response. Fast forward to 2/19/2010, the loaner vacuum has not caught on fire. I called to speak to an Operations Manager and no one has called me back. Buyer beware this is a serious defect and could cause a house fire. The Kenmore Progressive Vacuums are junk!

Saving on Spring Break