logo

SERVICE

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sears Die Hard Gold Battery Complaints & Reviews - It should be named the Die Easy battery

Sears Die Hard Gold Battery Contacts & Informations

Sears Die Hard Gold Battery

Posted:    Ragusa

It should be named the Die Easy battery

The only Gold from this piece if crap is the gold that Sears got when it was purchased. I bought a used car with a then 5-month old Die Hard Gold battery and after cleaning the battery terminal 3 times in as many months, I found a crack in the case emanating from the battery post. I called Sears Automotive and was told to bring the car in so the battery could be inspected and pro-rated. When I got there, the 'Battery Guy' told me I needed the original receipt or I'd have to buy another battery. I explained to him that I bought the car used and that I spoke to manager from his previous shift and that I told him the battery was in the car when I purchaes it. Any way, I was just wasting more of my valuable time trying to get credit for this piece of crap battery. Two managers in the same store don't know what the other is doing and I ended up wasting my valuable time because of it. Needless to say I'll never buy anything at Sears.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Feb, 2007 by   John Wang 0 Votes
What about the date code on the battery itself, it shouldn't be off the purchase date by more than 6 months as batteries start to sulfate at 3 months and is pretty bad at 6 months on the shelf. The battery can't possibly be older than the date code so if that's still within the warranty period, they should at least pro-rate it by that date.
 4th of Aug, 2008 by   snakepudding 0 Votes
My DieHard battery lasted less than 2.5 years out of 100 months. My oil change guy tested it and found it to be defective, but Sears' 1st test said it was OK. It later lost its charge and was returned to Sears and the new test said it was defective. Sears wanted to charge to put the new battery in the vehicle, but had the old battery out of the vehicles so the work for them would have been the same to install the new battery. I was told, in a less than customer frendly way, that labor is not free.

Past experience has shown me that the Sears DieHard batteries are not what I would expect. I only bought this battery because it was the only one I could find on the shelf that matched the polarity configuration needed. Next time I will consider walking until one can be ordered from a better store.
 15th of Aug, 2008 by   gary miller 0 Votes
I have used Sears Diehards for over 30 YEARS and have NEVER had even one problem with them. Basic maint needs to be done on any battery, IE check the water and keep the terminals clean. I have always found the personel, from front desk to the techs, to be friendly and professional. Maybe YOUR attitude cause their attitude???????
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   TheFinancier 0 Votes
I bought a Die Hard Gold battery and the same thing happened to me... the thing Died less than a year after I purchased it. The previous battery that I had in the car was an Interstate Battery and It never gave me 1 problem in 5 years. I know interstate batteries are expensive but I think that I going back to what I know works.

Die Hard batteries are not what they use to be. Go with Interstate, You will not be sorry.
 8th of Feb, 2009 by   wood 0 Votes
I agree with the author Sear Gold Diehards aren't the same quality as they used to be, I have replaced one purchased in 2006 once each year of the 3 year warranty. Now Sears offers a Sries Above Gold called the Platinum battery at DOUBLE to price of the gold ones.. I wonder did they switch the cases & double the prices on us?
 10th of May, 2009 by   Scott 0 Votes
These Sears Gold Die Hard batteries are failing in record numbers. I had one installed in March and it was absolutely totally dead in May. Not any voltage whatsoever. My car had to be towed to the Toyota dealership as I thought the electrical system was completely gone since the Sears battery would not take a jump. After attempting to charge the Sears battery for an hour it wouldn't register any voltage at all, there was obviously a dead cell in the battery. The service manager had them put in a Toyota shop battery and the car started fine, all the electrical worked and no problem. By the way Sears put in a new alternator when I got the battery and the alternator was working fine. At that point, I decided to go ahead and buy the Toyota brand battery because it is guaranteed for 7 years, and that includes free towing to the Toyota dealer you want. It only cost like $10 more than the Sears Die Hard.

The Toyota service manager said they get between 10 and 20 dead Sears Die Hards every week and end up replacing them, they are not the old Sears Die Hard batteries with high quality in the 80's or 90's. Multiple that by the number of Toyota dealerships alone nationwide and the number of defective Sears Die Hard batteries is huge.

The next day I go back to Sears with the dead 2-month old Sears battery and ask for a refund explaining that I don't need a new battery, I just shelled out $119 for a new Toyota battery that will be warranteed for 7 years. The Sears service manager says he first needs to test the Sears battery and see if it's really dead and more or less admits that this is an ongoing problem. After about 45 minutes of checking the battery he said he can give me a refund via a Sears Gift Card only which is good forever at either Sears or K-Mart but no cash refund. Better that than being stuck with another Sears Die Hard battery that I don't need after buying a new Toyota battery.

By the way these newer crappy Sears batteries are now built in Mexico probably by non-English speaking workers. I'd definitely trust a Chinese made battery over a Mexican-made one, at least they build batteries for cell phones, computers and cordless phones that work.

If your Sears Die Hard dies, try to get a refund at least by a gift card, and don't even think about buying another Sears Die Hard battery.
 15th of Dec, 2009 by   Tom in D.C. 0 Votes
Bought a new DieHard for my 2002 VW Golf in March 2009. It replaced a 2003 DieHard for which I was given a prorated credit. This is/was a $125 battery. Anyway, the March 2009 battery died and was pronounced bad in December 2009. I said fine, give me a new one for free, because the contract says "36-month full replacement." Oh no, says the Sears rep, your warranty is tied to the warranty on the 2003 battery, so this one will cost you $75.00. I controlled myself enough to point out that I had in my hand a 2009 contract that stated "36 month full replacement" and that was the governing document and I wanted a new battery, period. He finally agreed to "consult with his manager" after which they put in a new battery for no charge except $15 for labor, which I had no problem with. Now, someone please tell me how the hell a warranty on a battery that I bought in 2003, died in 2009, and was replaced in 2009, affects my warranty on the new battery. I think that this is a cheating ploy that Sears' staffers are probably trained to try on customers to see if they can get away with it. In any event it stinks, and this is my last Sears el-crappo battery, and I don't expect this latest one to last very long anyway. Next battery will be a Delco, sold by my idependent shop and warranted for 60-months full replacement no questions asked, rather than the lousy 36-month Sears warranty. Someone should wise up the Sears management about how much their poor quality merchandise and poor customer quality is affecting their business. This scenario took place at the Sears Auto Center at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, Maryland.
 19th of Dec, 2009 by   blackdog76 0 Votes
Die Hard Golds suck, sears customer service sucks, the batteries prices have skyrocketed. I bought a battery for my 4Runner, for $79 and now I'm just outside of the 3 year warranty. It's 100 month prorated so now I have another one and it was 79 dollars since the price went up. Not cool. My optima in my Blazer has lasted 8 YEARS! No sign of weakness.
 30th of Dec, 2009 by   michray1 +1 Votes
Let me get this straight. You bought a USED CAR that had a battery in it that was cracked and you expect Sears to fully honor the warranty! What a Joke! The battery was obviously dropped or broken and you have no idea of it's history prior to your purchase of the USED CAR. If that were the case, I could buy a 2 month old Ford car with a blown engine from a used car dealership and then drive directly to a ford dealership and expect then to honor the warranty and fix the engine at no charge. Come on people.

As for the guy that commented on the battery he had that was totaly dead with almost no voltage at all, When a battery has a dead cell it will be 10.5 volts. (2.1 volts per good cell). If a battery is at 1 volt it is not beacuse of a bad battery (unless it was sitting for a very long time - like over a year, which again is not the batteries fault) It is most certainly from something draining the battery down, mostly likely a light left on, a short somewhere or a bad starter or alternator (diodes sticking will most definetly drain a battery down VERY fast).

And lastly, I know nobody likes this one, you must always have a receipt to return anything these days! Try taking back electronics without a reciept! GIVE ME A BREAK
 3rd of Mar, 2010 by   tompte +1 Votes
1st diehard lasted 33 months. replaced free. 2nd diehard lasted 20 months, prorated out so i pd $60 for #3. i hope this lasts 2 years. no more diehards for me. interstate next time.
diehards not what they used to be in the 80's & 90's.
 8th of Mar, 2010 by   blazer 0 Votes
I just looked this up after I had a Diehard gold die in my '99 blazer in 16 months. Its warrantied for 3 years, but we'll see what I can do about it, I called AAA to come out and jump it when it went down, but the battery wouldn't charge so I jsut had them put in a new one for 110 bucks. Had paid 90 for the gold diehard at kmart after my old interstate, that had lasted 5 years beyond the3 year warranty finally faded out. Last one of those damn batteries I buy, that's some pathetic shit.
 7th of Oct, 2010 by   CarPerson +2 Votes
Okay, first of all, has anyone on here noticed the amount of terrible grammatical errors posted on this page. It is difficult to read someone's complaint about something when they can not even use proper English. They hardly seem like a credible source. How about we spell words correctly and use proper punctuation, then perhaps people will respect your opinion. It even says at the bottom of the page before you submit your comments, "Please check text spelling before submitting a comment."

Secondly, I have had a 100 month Die Hard Gold battery in my 1996 Toyota Camry and only recently has it just died. It was supposed to expire back in March, this is now October. It probably would have lasted even longer if I hadn't stopped driving my car because I am 9 months pregnant. As someone else mentioned, with proper maintenance and care, the batteries last just fine. Of course there are horror stories of people having defective batteries, nothing made today is perfect. It is a shame that they got so unlucky, but the truth is it's rare. Yes, do your research to see which battery matches your car, but Die Hards are good batteries.
 22nd of Dec, 2010 by   Vigilant1 0 Votes
I purchased a die hard gold in March this year, the battery would no long hold a charge in December. Took the battery to local auto parts store to be tested. Battery would only register 10.2 volts. parts store recommended a new battery. I then took battery back to sears and they test battery. They say battery is to weak to test and they have charge for 48mins first. I agree to last them charge and test, of course it test good for them. service person did label the battery with test date and marked battery good and said if I have anymore problems with battery to bring it back and they would replace it. Two weeks later, today the battery failed again. I go back to sears and two people were ahead of me with 2010 die hard gold batteries on floor to be replaced. they were furious and the salesperson remembered me from two weeks ago. I didn't have to say much, she just had her colorant replace the battery for me with a new one no charge. No questions asked... I asked the service guy that got the new battery for me, "what's up with these Die hard batteries" I have a 10year die hard in another vehicle that doesn't get driven much and actually sits for months at a time, but fires right up 99 percent of the time. He told me That the 2009 / 2010 die hards were not like the old ones and they have been getting a lot of returns. Where there's smoke there could be fire, but if the smoke comes out of your die hard, you're toast...Don't think I will buy another Die Hard unless they double the warranty and pay for towing.
 29th of Dec, 2010 by   RichieRf888 0 Votes
I purchased a Gold Sears Die-hard battery for my 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse in August 2000. Today being December
2010 my battery needed replacement. Battery still worked but developed a leak on its side and one of the cells was totally dry from the leak.
A battery lasting this long was great, hope my new one bought today does as well. 10 years and four months people.
Thats quality.
 26th of Jan, 2011 by   ddiggs 0 Votes
BUY this battery if you want a NEW FREE battery every year. The warranty is for 3 years for the Die Hard Gold battery. I purchased the battery from Sears in November of 2008. Since then, the battery has been replaced twice, way before the warranty expired. Thus, I have had two new batteries installed in my Jeep Cherokee. But I will NEVER pay for a Die Hard battery...they die way too easily, and always during the winter months.
 14th of Apr, 2011 by   RWK 0 Votes
I 'USED' to have great Sears Diehard batteries, but have 'Recently' noticed a decrease in quality of these batteries. I purchased a Diehard Gold on 8/14/2006. It died and was replaced 4/13/2009, this is 32 months later. Yes, I received a 'new' free battery due to the the warranty being 36 months, with 100 months prorated. Well, this battery is now dead, 4/14/2011, that's 24 months later. I cannot remember in my 30 years of driving of having this bad of luck with batteries. Clearly there is a quality issue 'NOW' with Sears Diehard. Now I could go back and get a prorated price but I'm pretty sure it will die in 2-3 years too. I remember when Sears tools and Sears Diehard meant quality, wow have times changed. I'll buy nothing Sears in the future.
 3rd of May, 2011 by   ho0424 0 Votes
First DieHard only last 13 months, the replacement last 6 months. Now I am trying the third one. Yes it would be free forever if your battery only last one year.
 9th of May, 2011 by   LtSeatCpt 0 Votes
I bought a Sears Diehard Gold in Aug 08. It crapped out in May 2011. I took the car to Sears and the service manager wanted to charge me $19.95 to "trouble shoot my electronic system." I said, "why not just check the battery first?" With that he didn't say a word and left in a huff. Next, the mechanic comes and tells me that their Sears Diehard tester says the battery is good and that I have a short in my car's wiring that drains the battery. I don't relent on the battery being the problem. A third mechanic says to put a known good battery in my car and see if it gets drained. 15 mins later, the service manager shows up and without explanation says that they've put a new battery in my car. WTF--is this incompetence, or them trying to sell me an electronic diagnostic service, or a bad battery tester. In any case, the Die Hard died and I will NOT buy one again.
 3rd of Jun, 2011 by   AVGDUDE 0 Votes
I purchased a new Diehard Gold battery in February of 2011, and in May of 2011 it crapped out on me and would not hold a charge. Since the battery was only three months old at that point, I assumed something was wrong with the electrical system in my car and took it to a garage. After thorough diagnostic testing, my mechanic indicated my charging system was fine and there was no parasitic drain on the battery or other fault in my electrical system. He indicated my battery was bad and also suggested I stay away from Sears Diehard batteries. I went back to Sears with the defective battery and asked for a replacement. The Sears associate insisted on testing the battery, which seemed reasonable to me, so I left the battery with him and went next door to do some shopping. After more than an hour, I returned to the Sears store and the associate indicated his mechanic initially had trouble getting the battery to hold a charge, but eventually he did get the battery charged, and offered to have it reinstalled in my car and also check the charging system for $17.00, to which I agreed. Once the battery was reinstalled, I spoke to the Sears auto center manager and he indicated the alternator, voltage regulator, belts and all charging system components checked out fine, but that he thought perhaps there was a weak ground in my car's electrical circuitry. He indicated his mechanic cleaned and tightened all the grounding connections, and that the battery was holding a charge. At this point, I wondered if maybe the Sears folks had discovered something my mechanic missed, and I left the store thinking/hoping the problem had been fixed once and for all. Well, the battery seemed to perform fine for two weeks, but now it's acting up again and won't hold a charge. I am a former Navy avionics technician, and all of my own testing, plus the comprehensive diagnostic by a certified mechanic indicate this battery is defective. I plan to take the battery back to Sears again tomorrow and ask for a refund. I will not waste my time having it replaced with another Diehard Gold battery. I simply do not trust these batteries. I will post an update to this thread after my trip to Sears tomorrow. We'll see if the manager there agrees to refund my money (or at least give me store credit), and we'll see if the Interstate battery I'm planning to buy takes care of the problem with my car once and for all.
 16th of Jan, 2012 by   Andiejo 0 Votes
I bought a new diehard gold in December 2009. It crapped out in Feb 2011. Sears tried to blame it on the alternator. After I demanded they replace the battery per the warranty prior to doing any work, my truck started up without a problem. Noticed in the past few days that the power is starting to wane. It has been 11 months since it was replaced. This last one could not even make it a year. Will be going in tomorrow to have the battery replaced, again. For those looking to blame someone/something else for these failures, open your eyes - something is wrong with diehards now. I had one in my old explorer that lasted 5-6 years but that is not the case now. We are lucky if we can get a year out of it. As long as I can get a free replacement, I will keep getting a diehard but once that is gone, maybe I will purchase an optima.

How to Save $500 by Christmas