logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
City Optical
Wrong information, bad customer service
2. (2 mins ago)
Booking.com
never give your credit card details to booking.com
3. (2 mins ago)
Legal action threatened

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sanford Brown Institute (formerly UDS - Ultrasound Diagnostic School), Springfield, Massachusetts Complaints & Reviews - I WAS TAKEN AND LET DOWN BY SANFORD BROWN (formerly Ultrasound Diagnostic School)

Sanford Brown Institute (formerly UDS - Ultrasound Diagnostic School) Contacts & Informations

Sanford Brown Institute (formerly UDS - Ultrasound Diagnostic School)

Posted:    Jeannette

Sanford Brown Institute (formerly UDS - Ultrasound
365 Cadwell Dr., 1st Fl., Springfield, MA (now closed)
Springfield, Massachusetts
I lived in Chicopee Falls, Mass before moving to Nevada. This school has let me down big time. I graduated top of all of the classes that were in there at the time I went (from July 1999 to March 2000) when it was still called UDS - Ultrasound Diagnostic School. It then became Sanford Brown Institute.

Before I moved to Nevada I was told that the career services dept. of Sanford Brown could help me get a job no matter where I moved. That is NOT true.

The following is my exact situation and what happened to me...

I lived 27 years of my life taking care of 3 ill family members full time. When they died I was a 42 year old woman with no skills and no experience. I went and talked to Sanford Brown reps (then it was called Ultrasound Diagnostic School) and I told them I needed a promise that their school was NOT bogus because going there for Medical Assistant training would be my only chance at getting an education and job skills and that my life and future depended on the school's validity, accreditation and training skills. They told me countless times they had acceptable accreditation. They did not. Their accreditation is not recognized by the AMA (American Medical Association) or anyone else. I know because I checked.

I was told by the facilty of UDS that I could become a certified Medical Assistant. This is not true because the school does not have the correct accreditation. The accreditation they hold allows you to become ONLY a registered Medical Assistant. Being a registered Medical ssistant means absolutely NOTHING in the medical world.

I graduated from UDS (Ultrasound Diagnostic School - NOW called Sanford Brown University, in 2000. My grade point average was so much higher than 4.0 that they had to conform to educational standards and knowck my GPA down to the highest of 4.0 that is recognized. I graduated at the top of all classes that were there at the time. I gave the graduation speech. I graduated feeling somewhat "hopeful."

I found there were very few jobs in the Springfield, MA area for Medical Assistants unless you graduated from an actual college training program with an associates degree. So I moved here to Henderson, Nevada, where they were supposed to have a high demand for medical assistants. I have not been able to find work as a medical assistant here either!

The training that UDS aka Sanford Brown provided was useless. They always skipped over all of the procedures in the books that we should have been learning and told us we'd learn it all on the job-sites! That is NOT true! They expect you to already know these procedures when you get a job. When I was in school for those 7 months, there were welfare girls there solely so they could continue getting their welfare checks. They had no plans on learning a career. And if they failed, the welfare system paid them to repeat the courses as many times as it took. They disrupted the classes daily. We had several teachers abandon us and the school and quit during the middle of our courses. We were left without teachers and eventually had substitutes. We had instructors who spent the entire class time talking about their personal lives and love relationships. One in particular Miss Heather Ruggerio did this almost on a day to day basis. Then one day she up and left and never gave notice and left us with no teacher for at least a week and a half to two weeks until they got another teacher in to substitute!There was no consistency in anything in that school.

In 2004 I almost became homeless because of my inability to find work as a Medical Assistant. I am broke. I lost my car so I have no means to get around and look for work and here in Nevada they want you to have a car because the office personnel are tired of dealing with employees with transportation issues. On top of it all I had to file banckruptcy. I am financially broke, I am spiritually and mentally broke and my heart is broke because the teachers and school reps promised me they were on the up and up, they promised me written letters of reccomendation, and all I got was taken! I have lost my self-esteem, my confidence and my self-worth.

I NEED A LAWYER PRO BONO or one that will file a civil action. My life was destroyed by that school. After my family members died I only had enough money to go to school for one year so I told them my life literally depended on the validity of their school and training. They failed me and my life is in ruins.

And my mentor, Ms Terri (Ward) Wyman (whom I looked up to and trusted) failed me most of all because I brought all of my concerns about the school to her attention numerous times throughout the year telling her I was thinking about transferring to Porter and Chester (who had the correct accreditation) but she and Katherine Dearborn (the female dean at the time) would reel me right back in and convince me to stay telling me one time that 'because I was the the top student, that if I left the school, they were afraid everyone else would follow and leave too.'

All of my teachers, especially Mrs. Terri (Ward) Wyman, Mrs. Debbie Fish, Miss Carrie Mack and Miss Stephanie (Merrick) Bogosian told me they would give me letters of references since I asked and since I was moving so far away. I never got one single letter of reference. They lied. All of my resume references were the teachers at Sanford Brown on Cadwell Dr. in Springfield. But recently in late 2008 my sister, in Massachusetts, called me to tell me she drove by the school and that they had closed down. It's no wonder I wasn't getting any call backs for interviews..they were probably checking my references and finding they didn't exist! I have a list of hundreds of places here in Nevada where I applied for jobs. I can not get work and lost ALL of my references when they closed that school down! I'm at a loss as to what to do. My life has suffered greatly from what that school did to me...all of the lies, the deception.

That school was there for one purpose only - to make money from the federal student grants. The more students they dragged in - they better - FOR THEM! But me - I was taken by them, screwed over big time! They didn't care about you or me or any of the other students there. They cared about the money!

A lot of others who went there must be experiencing the same problems. I can't understand why no one else from, Ludlow, Springfield and Chicopee, Massachusetts have come forward.
Jeannette
Henderson (formerly Chicopee Falls, MA), Nevada
U.S.A.
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Mar, 2009 by   j hanron +1 Votes
So sorry to here your story. This is pervasive with Gov Grant Money. Can you apply at a local Accredited School, i.e., Community College and try to speak with student councelors, Women's groups etc. Surely some of the education you received will be useful while you get the real thing. Can you apply for another Student Loan?
Don't give up. You just need the right people to be dealing with. These skills are in demand across the Country.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   agagnon +2 Votes
I so agree with you. i am in the process and have been for many years to get a class action suit going. i also went to uds on cladwell dr. in spfld. graduateing right around the same time. i also have 2 other girls in my class that are in the same position. that school was such a rip off. we should get in contact and combine forces.
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   Desiree' F. +2 Votes
Contact me I am seeking legal on the SAME thing. SUNSKYKWIW@AOL>COM
 10th of Aug, 2010 by   billieirizarry +2 Votes
I also attended this school and had the same problem. I graduated with a 3.81 GPA and was only able to get per diem jobs through temp agencies and have given up completely trying to get a job as a medical assistant. I am from holyoke mass.
 13th of Dec, 2010 by   Donna Cummings +1 Votes
OMG I am in the same boat. I attended the Ultrasound Diagnostic School on Cadwell Dr. Springfield, Ma. in 2001. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA. I was even Student of the month! I got me nowhere. The instructors would up and leave in the middle of a coursel. No explination was given as to why they left. We went through 2 directors while I was at the the schoolo. They both left. I was stuck with student loans I couldn't afford to pay because I couldn't find a job. My externship was a disaster. The office manager told me straight out that the school I attended was inferior. She graduated with an associates degree in Medical Assisting from Springfield Technical Community College. She made it so difficult for me because of the school I went to that I couldn't finish my externship there. The school couldn't find anywhere else to place me to finish my externship. At the time I lived in Holland, Ma. but I was willing to travel to Worcester or Springfield. I found a job at Fallon Clinic that allowed me to finish my externship. No one from the school came to talk to the office manager. No one would return my calls. I had to leave the workforce to care for my mother in 2005. She passed away in Dec. 2009. I am 53 years old. I have been to several interviews but no one will hire me. I am currently living on Social Security Disability due to severe depression and anxiety. My credit is trashed because I couldn't afford to pay my student loans. If there is a law suit pending, please contact me. My e-mail is cummings620@aol.com That school promised me the world. I was a working single mom of 3 who couldn't afford to get scammed. PLEASE SOMEONE E-MAIL ME WITH ANY LAWSUIT INFORMATION!!! Thank you.
 23rd of Mar, 2011 by   Shell2762 0 Votes
I graduated in 2000, had a high GPA and am still paying the bill and not doing Medical Assisting. Teachers were coming and going the entire time. We were told we could go back at any time to retake classes. I had trouble with accredidations also. I can't get another student loan and can't afford to pay out of pocket. If anyone has information on a class action suit I am willing to join in. Please email me at matilda01129@yahoo.com
 10th of Apr, 2011 by   Pattyw38 0 Votes
I graduated from Ultrasound Diagnostic School, in Chicopee MA, in 1999 with a medical assistant certificate. I am also very disappointed in all the staff who convinced me to attend because it was accredited. I paid full price out of my pocket for this school, which got me no where but in debt. I don't know if anything can actually be done now, since they are no longer a school, but if someone
comes up with an idea, please let me know.
Thanks,
Patty
(mackenzie0101@msn.com)
 1st of May, 2012 by   Iris-desiree 0 Votes
I also graduated from UDS @2003 as a MA and have this student loan that i am stil trying to pay off. My understanding is that some of the students filed complaints against this school on cadwell street; in turn did not have to pay tuition back. If anyone has any information on this please contact me at iris.rosemond@gmail.com. Its saddens me that a school that promised to be accredited and really isnt would take advantage of people that all they are looking for is to better themselves. I was never able to find employment as a medical assistant no where but yet got stuck paying for the tuition. Doesnt seem right.
Iris
iris.rosemond@gmail.com
 17th of Oct, 2012 by   Lindsay Bjorn 0 Votes
Hi! My friend Elizabeth went to that school for a program as well. She liked it there but she didn't get a job. When I was going to sign up for classes at U.D.S. they told me I couldn't because the school was closing. I would have to wait when it reopens again. I did. It was Sanford Brown Institute. I went there in 2005 and dropped out of one mod due to financial hardship. I was moving to CT because we got evicted out of our apartment due to lack of jobs. I moved back to Springfield, MA to finish school. I graduated. The jobs that were available were jobs at Mc Donald's, monster.com and other internet jobs. They were not in my field of study except for a Correctional Officer job at Ludlow jail.I took the test and failed it. I got a security job but the thing is that some of these co-workers went to a college for the same program. Well I didn't know the school was closing until we had the graduation ceremony. I am still stuck paying for a student loan for a school that closed down. I am stuck paying for a scam and these bill collectors keep calling for the same bill that S.S.D.I. is taking out of my check automatically. This whole thing is a scam. They were telling everyone to go to Branford Hall Institute but everyone knows that school is a scam. For the future, everyone is better going to a real college. T he reason why I went to Sanford Brown Institute is because I was told it was accredited and you can transfer your credits to another college. I was planning on going to Westfield State College to get my degree in Criminal Justice and that was suppose to be my Bachelors. They said my diploma is equivalent to an Associates Degree. They lied completely. Now that school is American Career Institute. They won't take me there. My student loans and they don't like students who go there on SSI or SSDI. I asked them about that to. They want people who work and take out student loans. I talked to a representative about the whole school situation. They can't figure it out either. Original price for the school was $16525.00. Now my student loan is $5000.00 give or take. None of it makes sense. Just a waste of time, lies, confusion, chaos, and b.s. because H.C.C. and S.T.C.C. they work with you and there's no b.s along with it. Cheaper and accredited. Now they say we have to use the Sanford Brown Institute in White Plains New York. That school is not accredited and the credits are not transferable. It's nothing but a joke with an unnecessary bill because I went to colleges before and after this school and these accredited colleges worked with you. I had to restart at another college because nobody took my credits at Sanford Brown Institute. It '[s a waste of my time. I am better off working.
lindsaybjorn@gmail.com
 4th of Apr, 2014 by   Malikah B 0 Votes
I agree with several dissatisfied students of UDS.
I was also a student at UDS and graduated in 1999, with what I thought was a certified medical assistant certificate. I was also under the impression that this school Ultrasound Diagnostic School, Iselin, NJ was an accredited school and to my dismay IT IS not.
I want to know what can be done as I am presently in debt and presently paying this loan back.

Malikah B. Caldwell Russell
malikahbr114@aol.com
 10th of Jun, 2014 by   orlando rivera 0 Votes
I was a former student at Ultrasound Diagnostic School in Springfield MA if anybody has information about how to cancel loan please contact me I do recognize a few people on here but not sure if anyone is around who can tell me what I can do. orlandojr1980@gmail.com
 17th of Jun, 2014 by   LaKeisha G. 0 Votes
I graduated from UDS in 2001 and had no luck finding a job. I am still in student loan debt with this school and am trying to find a way to dispute the loan. If anyone has any info at all, please email me at mrspktgreen25@gmail.com. Thank you kindly in advance!
 1st of Jul, 2014 by   Iris-desiree 0 Votes
Does anyone know about the civil action lawsuit against UDS?

5 Tips For Buying Jewelry