logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Bulliongurus Research Private Limited
beware of this company! it causes nothing but extreme loss!
2. (24 mins ago)
State of Florida Child Support Enforcement
Child Support
3. (37 mins ago)
eyemarkedcards.com
No confirmation info and seller keeps silence
4. (45 mins ago)
Fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Riverstone Residential, Baton Rouge Complaints & Reviews - Illegal business practices

Riverstone Residential Contacts & Informations

Posted:    katytx

Illegal business practices

12400 Jefferson Hwy.
Phone: 225-753-6904
www.riverstoneres.com
It would take a book now to include all but basically they have a very extensive and continuing problem with mold that is indescribable but I try. They do not follow policy or law. They come to your door and pound on it and threaten you if you mention their mold problem. They prefer the term dust! They manage and own properties all the USA. They are now being investigated. If you have any type of complaint please email me. It can only help. My whole complaint is on http://this-is-not-okay.blogspot.com. My email - cms19ka@gmail.com

A woman living in Katy, Texas filed suit against Riverstone Residential Group for an incident involving black mold at the Jefferson Lake Apartments. Her case is in the Louisiana courts. Recently her attorney requires her to pay a $5, 000 to continue her case in court.

Yesterday, TWUSEA sent two investigators to Baton Rouge to begin an investigation into the allegations contained in the lawsuit because Riverstone Group owns Apartments in Auburn, Bainbridge Is, Bellevue, Bellingham, Bothell, Bremerton, Burien, Chehalis, Coeur D Alene, Everett, Fife, Issaquah, Kennewick, Kent, Kirkland, Lacey, Lynnwood, Maple Valley, Marysville, Mercer Island, Moses Lake, Pasco, Redmond, Renton, Richland, SeaTac, Seattle, Sequim, Shoreline, Silverdale, Spokane, Spokane Valley, Tacoma, Tumwater, Veradale and Yakima.

Because of the aggressiveness in the buying practices of Riverstone, there may be toxic mold in the environment associated with the property because like Baton Rouge, especially after Katrina in which dumped rain and seawater and high humidity-similar to Seattle’s environment, is the breeding grounds for Black Mold.
Comments United States Apartments Rental
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Jun, 2008 by   HoustonRenter 0 Votes
I have found the Riverstone/Trammel Crow/Alexan Woods here in Spring, Texas is not above board either. The leasing agents will tell you anything that will make you pay a deposit. Once the check is cashed, you find out they lie. I would hate to find out what happens after you sign a lease.
 20th of Jun, 2008 by   HoustonRenter 0 Votes
And yes, the first floor apartments I toured had moldy sheetrock from leaks inside the walls. The leasing agents tried to tell me the previous owner had dogs, as if that would explain the black colored growth and my itching eyes.
 27th of Jun, 2008 by   katytx 0 Votes
Did you live there? You can email me at cms19ka@gmail.com
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   Kat +1 Votes
Riverstone does not OWN any properties. They are a simply a management company contracted by the owner. You should find out who the owner is and contact them. They will put pressure on Riverstone to correct the problems.
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   katytx +1 Votes
You should do research. They own some and just manage some. This is for investments and income.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   anon +1 Votes
Alexan Sommerall on FM 529 has water problems. Low water pressure or NO water at all! Twice no water since we moved here Nov 1, 2008. They say to call the water company!
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   anon +1 Votes

Seattle, WA 98121
ph 206-282-5200
fax 206-282-7130
 19th of May, 2009 by   CRSI +1 Votes
As I have not heard both sides of the complaint; it does not surprise me to hear that they would deny rather than addressing the concern.
Onsite staff tends to be very un educated on this and other issues that come up on a daily basis thru out the country(in property management/ on site staff)
They rely to much on papers sent to the from corperate and the papers are to bleached out and dont often relate to the issues on hand.
There are standars and guide lines established thru out the cleaning industry to help prevent issues like this one; and should have been looked at before this came to a head.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   Too Love able 4 u +1 Votes
I live in Spokane washington. I G&B used to own the Apartments that I lived at. 4 months before I moved out Riverstone HSC bought them. Well then we got new office staff. When I moved out 4 months after they bought out the apartments I got a bill for $thousands of dollars in damage they say I did to the property. I was called the corprite office and told them I could fax over my walk through sheet and they can see that the things they charged me on was in my walk through. Well the guy Micheal Good told me that he would look it over and get back to me. 3 weeks later I get a call and he says it doesnt matter what my walk through says even though it was signed by the landlord at the time of my move in I am responsible for the damages! UGH So I told him I am going to send this to my lawyers and he said "your lawyers " I said "Yes" he said "I am done with your account I am sending it to collections and they will start taking money out of your paychecks!" This company is screwing people. I know i am not the first and I know i am not going to be the last. But I can tell you that i did send it to my Lawyers and they are working with me on this and HSC doesn't have a foot to stand on!
 17th of Sep, 2009 by   milomag +1 Votes
Riverstone Residential Group is definitely screwing the tenants at Alcyone Apartments in Seattle. They automatically use the security deposit, which is refundable by law and to be used only for damages, not wear and tear, as a "cleaning fee", yet they're calling it a "deposit". The Washington Landlord-Tenant Act says that the "deposit" cannot be used for wear and tear, but that it is for damages and that a "cleaning fee" cannot be called a "deposit". Anyway, all tenants who meet the requirements for a security deposit refund, don't get it, because Riverstone automatically uses that money as a cleaning fee for the carpet to be professionally cleaned, even if, only for normal wear and tear (no stains or damage). They are charging all tenants for carpet cleaning while calling it a deposit (refundable), when there is nothing a tenant can do, to get the money back, which means, it really isn't refundable! The manager told me that everyone's security deposit is used this way, and that no one gets it back unless they (with management's permission) pay to have carpets cleaned themselves. However, it doesn't say in the lease that the tenants must have the carpet cleaned in order to get their deposit refunded. I wonder if there is basis for a class action lawsuit here. Riverstone manages over 30 properties in downtown Seattle.
 3rd of Oct, 2009 by   annonymous-2009 0 Votes
I live in Avia Apartments in Lynnwood, WA and the mold and odor is unbearable and they claim that there's nothing wrong and maintenance states that is because the apts are too old. They also don't tell you and one doesn't find out about the Lead in the paint in these old apts until after you have signed the lease agreement.

As far as management they are not "for the residents" the new management literally is way out of hand with their stupid policies, they should be worring about the mold, and lead in the apt homes not things that don't affect the residents. Of course everybody wants to have their say and every issue has to be seen from both sides but the residents issues in their apts need to be first. Maintenance and management both suck! They do not clean your carpet, and like others have stated "they do not refund your deposit" because they keep it to do the "lousy cleaning by painting the mold and lead problems" they are all cheap and this is one property that I would not recommend to anyone.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   PBerry76 0 Votes
I recently moved out of Alcyone Apartments in Seattle & I am now getting a taste of how corrupt the practices of Riverstone are. I was on a month to month lease (and being charged an extra $150 on top of my rent for that "luxury") and I gave the requisite 20 day notice prior to moving out. I lived there for three years, always paid rent on time and kept my place very clean. It was spotless when I moved out on a Sunday and dropped my keys in the night deposit box. I expected that to be the end of my dealings with Alcyone. However, a few weeks later I received a nasty letter from Riverstone saying that I owed them $75 and unless I paid them immediately, "further collection efforts" would be initiated. The charges stemmed from a $95 carpet cleaning fee, a $95 general cleaning fee and a $10 towel bar replacement, less my "refundable security deposit" of $125. After paying my security deposit, handing over amost $50, 000 in rent over three years, AND leaving the place in move-in condition, it makes me sick to think of paying them another cent. I sent them a letter disputing the charges, but they completely ignored it and responded with a second notice to pay up. I am sending them a second letter, which will probably be ignored as well. I actually did look up the Washington State Landlord-Tenant Act, hoping to find some useful info, but it appears that Riverstone operates according to their own set of rules. I'm not sure if one person has the power to stop them but I would GLADLY be a part of a class action lawsuit.
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   NO to riverstone +1 Votes
I'm going through the same thing. Riverstone Residential Group is unethical, dishonest, and down right incompetent. They are such a large company, their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing.
 6th of May, 2010 by   Chadwick Meyer 0 Votes
My family of four (2 daughters age 3 and 5) have been living in an apartment owned by Riverstone Residential Group (Carmel House Apartments, Walnut Creek CA) and we've had a severe mold problem for a year and a half. We discovered during the winter of 2008 that the walls behind our daughter's headboards were thick with black mold. This is caused by the fact that there is no insulation in the external walls, so in the winter the inside of the external walls is very cold. When the warm interior air touches the cold wall, natural condensation occurs and the walls get wet (as does the carpet up to 12" away from the wall). If any furniture is within 12" of the wall, it restricts air movement and mold forms quickly. It doesn't matter if you leave the windows open, to "air out" the apartment. As long as the air inside is warm, it contains moisture that condenses on the walls.

We complained and they quickly came and cleaned up the mold (which was about 3 square feet, and thick, behind both daughter's headboards). We didn't have a chance to take pictures unfortunately. They promised to do something about it, but after a year and a half of false promises and inaction, the management sent us a letter saying that the "the problem with condensation on the windows" was normal and they weren't going to do anything about it. We were beyond frustrated by this blatant avoidance of the issue. We told them and contractors over and over again about the problem with condensation on the walls. We have 2 documented letters we sent to them, describing the problem, and specifically stating the problem is not the windows, but the walls. So we sent another letter explaining that they are ignoring the problem and just trying to avoid responsibility. A few months later we got a 60 day eviction notice. No stated reason. We will simply not be allowed to renew our lease (despite being model tenants with no complaints against us). Under normal circumstances that would be retaliatory eviction, but since our lease is up, they don't have to renew it and presumably are legally allowed to kick us out without any reason.

We know of 3 other neighbors (left, right, and above) who have had the exact same problem with mold brought on by condensation due to the lack of insulation in the walls. When I complained about being evicted they told me that they weren't evicting us, they were just concerned about our health and so that's why they won't renew the lease. At the same time, they told me that the contractors that investigated the problem said it would cost only $700 to fix the problem and blow in insulation, but "they weren't convinced that it would really solve the problem" so they didn't want to "set a precedent" (so they'll do nothing at all, even though they admitted there was a problem). They were "afraid of opening a can of worms", if they fixed our apartment, saying, "where would it end, we might have to fix others." Simultaneously they told me that it wasn't a problem with any other units (a lie). But if it wasn't a problem, then why would they worry about having to fix other units? And if they cared about our health as their "primary concern" then why don't they care about the the next tenants who will live in this same apartment after we leave?

It's all beyond absurd. They told me they would reconsider the eviction this past week, and my family waited anxiously, sick to our stomachs about the prospect of having to uproot the home we've made here the past 2 years, leave our friends and neighbors, move schools, look for another place to live that we can afford, etc. And after a week, they still hadn't given us word, despite my asking every day. So I called Sarah Fulk, the regional manager, and she said they had consulted with their lawyers and determined that they would not allow us to renew our lease. Evidently they know how weak the law is on tenants rights and figure it's cheaper to kick us out and face a lawsuit then to do the right thing.

I'm planning on contacting a lawyer, as well as circling a flyer to all the residents here explaining what the company is doing to us and how little they value the health and welfare of the tenants. And asking them to sign a petition to demand that they address the mold problem and insulate the walls. Also a second petition demanding that they allow us to renew our lease for as long as we are good tenants (we have no complaints, have a great relationship with the property manager and all our neighbors). I'm also going to tell our story to anyone who will listen, to discredit their name undermine their business wherever possible. I doubt it will have any effect, but what more can you do. It's unjust and evil.
 26th of Nov, 2010 by   moving out 0 Votes
We are moving the mold causes allergies which i did not have when I moved here. Riverstone in Fairview, Oregon is Chinook Way Apartments. Yesterday was Thanksgiving the unemployed piano tenant BANGED from 2-7PM we had a few ppl over the tv did not drown out the banging. This tenant moved in liitle while ago. When we signed the lease Jan said no instruments that can distrub others. We are moving asap other tenants told us the piano BANGING goes on all day sometimes up until 10. The BANGER played one song that we could barely recognize over - over - other times its LOUD jibberish why would management allow somebody UNEMPLOYED with a PIANO with walls and floors this thin' so thin air blows thru the walls and windows the heating bill is outrageous. if I'm home when banging starts i walk the dog when i return they are still banging. We work and feeel sorry for other teenants that work off hours. This is the Columbia building and this makes Riverstone Residential look very bad - DO NOT MOVE HERE.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   Patricia1963 0 Votes
if anyone needs possibly more than one witness and testimony from former employee's of riverstone regarding mold contact me at Trishosenbrock@yahoo.com...
 1st of Jul, 2011 by   42Skully 0 Votes
ATTENTION ALL WHO HAVE POSTED HERE ABOUT RIVERSTONE THAT RESIDE IN WASHINGTON STATE
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE EACH ONE OF YOU WRITE TO THE WASHINGTON ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE AND FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST RIVERSTONE IN REGARDS TO BUSINESS SINCE I ALREADY KNOW IF YOU MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SAYING THAT YOU ARE A TENANT OR FORMER TENANT THEY WILL REFUSE TO BOTHER. BUT IF YOU SAY THAT YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH THE WAY THEY ARE CONDUCTING BUISNESS AS A CONSUMER THEN THEY HAVE TO INVESTIGATE AND WHEN ENOUGH PEOPLE FILE COMPLAINTS THAT IS WHEN RIVERSTONE WILL BE SUDE BY WA ATG AND THEN SWEET REVENGE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN REALLY PURSUING THIS IDEA CONTACT ME. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF FILING A FEDERAL LAWSUIT ON MY OWN. NO I AM NOT ATTORNEY BUT WILL HELP THOSE THAT ARE WILLING TO DO THE FOOTWORK.
skullyone@yahoo.com
 9th of Mar, 2012 by   Las Vegas Attorney 0 Votes
This is so encouraging to hear that others are having the same issues. We moved out a few weeks ago and got the letter. They are trying to charge us for things that we actually put on our move-in checklist as damaged! They sent a fake checklist and tried to play it off like it was ours. When I called them out on it, they admitted that they had the original but refused to send me a copy. Fortunately I recorded my phone calls with them so when they try to lie about it they will be screwed. I had one call where Crystal started yelling at me saying i still owed rent money and then when she relized that she was wrong, she just hung up on me! Also, I haven't mentioned to her that I was living in their apartments while going to law school. I am filing a lawsuit against them next week for civil fraud, but I think there may be enough people out there to file a class action lawsuit as well.
 10th of Jul, 2012 by   L.M.Scott 0 Votes
Remember, Riverstone Residential Group is a fee management company. They do not own the properties which they manage.
 10th of Jul, 2012 by   L.M.Scott 0 Votes
https://katysexposure.wordpress.com/ Please review Riverstone Residential Group also sells your data, real time, to Experian. All RRG communities partner with Experian to capture your monthly payment behavior. Not bad if you are a good resident...or is it? If your data is incorrect due to false charges or other out of the ordinary management by the office staff of Riverstone, it immediately shows up on your credit report. Riverstone Residential Group's screening system uses Experian based credit reports to approve or disapprove your rental at any community. Therefore, if you leave one apartment community under the circumstances described in this complaint, then your credit score already reflects this real time even while you try to go through the legal process of fighting with them. You will most likely be automatically declined to rent at another Riverstone managed property or have a hard time renting elsewhere, due to the real-time updates to your score, via Experian, which Riverstone uses to approve or decline your application.http://press.experian.com/United-States/Press-Release/experian-rentbureau-to-receive-rental-payment-history-data-from.aspx?&p=1

Fake Check Fraud