Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes

Scam alert

Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes
This morning I finally answered a phone call from 876-440-5652. This was not the first call I had received from this number but was the first I had answered. The call originated in Jamaica and was from a man who gave his name as Michael Watson. Mr Watson first said he was calling from the Publishers Clearing House to inform me that I had won a sweepstakes for $2, 500, 000 and a new Mercedes. He sent an email to one of my business emails and asked that I call him when I got it. Later in the day I called him back and told him nothing about it looked right to me and please don’t bother me again with his calls.

Throughout the day I have had no fewer than 8 phone calls from this man wanting to know what the problem was. Why didn’t I want my $2, 500, 000 prize. I then explained to him that I wasn’t sending anyone $500. If I had, in fact, won a prize I shouldn’t have to pay for it.

Mr. Watson told me that the $500 was so that it would be tax free! Once again I told him I wasn’t paying $500 for a prize and not to call me again. At this point he asked if I wanted to talk to his general manager. I didn’t really understand the name of the general manager (these men are both very hard to understand and speak with a very heavy accent). The second Mr. Watson also told me to go to CVS or Walgreens and purchase green money back card, to be sure and get a 14 digit card rather than the 16 digit one because it wouldn’t work in their system and call him back immediately so I could have my prizes delivered.

When I questioned him about what bank the prize check was to be paid on he said the Bank of America, my earlier email showed a check from the Bank of Wachovia which has been out of business since 12/31/08. He informed me that the Bank of Wachovia is a branch of the Bank of America-which it isn’t, they were bought out by Wells Fargo, and that my prize check could easily be transferred to my personal bank.

I haven’t and don’t intend to have any more dealings with these men and I hope by taking the time to make this posting it will help some others keep from making a very costly mistake. Please be forewarned–they are very persistent!!
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Unsolicited Phone Calls
Was the above complaint useful?
More Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes Complaints & Reviews
Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes - fraud

2nd of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
i recieved several of these calls as well. when i told him no and it was a scam he started cursing at me and asking what my problem was and why i didnt want my mercedes i again said dont call my phone this is a scam. I hung up later in the day got another call from the same guy SCAM

Publishers Clearing House Logo Publishers Clearing House