logo

Texas Holdem Poker
chips stolen
2. (22 mins ago)
Royal Elite
Misrepresentation at Sandos Royal Elite (SCAM)
3. (27 mins ago)
SMALL BUSINESSES BEWARE OF LFG

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

PSE&G - Gas & Electric, New Jersey Complaints & Reviews - PSE&G bills overcharging consumers

PSE&G - Gas & Electric Contacts & Informations

PSE&G - Gas & Electric

Posted:    Nabils

PSE&G bills overcharging consumers

PSE&G
New Jersey
I am a disabled person. PSE&G mailed me in May 2009 an OVERINFLATED bill via US mail.

They falsely claim that my home electric usage in April 2009 was 5223 kwh and in May 2009 was 5212 kwh. 5, 000 kwh is typically the usage of a building with 15-20 houses (I only live in one). My bill came to $1, 949, 74.

Thi ruined my day and gave me nightmares for months afterwards.

I called PSE&G in May and spoke to a "Christine" and all she said was "the only thing I can do for you is to send an investigator to see what is attached to the meter" without apology nor sensitivity.

I live alone and the disturbing thing is that for the ENTIRE month of April 2009, the house was TOTALLY empty as I was outside the country for a month.

I called PSE&G again in May and they said that many customers have had similar similar inexplainable "spikes" which was caused by a glitch in their "new" system... and they asked me not to worry and that they are fully aware of my historical monthly usage, etc, etc. They promised to send an investigator to fix this problem.

No one ever came. I called several times, and they kept telling me that they are a little behind but someone will come by and fix this mess.

May, June and July passed and no one came. Still, PSE&G, using the US postal service were still sending me "overcharged" bills...

In August, I called and my "request for investigation" in May was lost and they offered to issue a "new" request for investigation.

I insisted on speaking to a supervisor... A supervisor "Tony" called me and immediately, and without any evidence, started "speculating" without any facts that there "may" have been a "short" in my house that "may" have caused the spike... and then added that, even though this is very unlikey with a 0.01% possibility, if the meter in my house is functioning properly, that means that I will be responsible for 10, 000 kwh consumption for 2 months.

I am horrified... and I feel totally helpless and totally under the total mercy of PSE&G and its gigantic might especially when they are the "other party", "the investigator" and the judge.

I filed 2 complaints with the Board of Public Uitlities, a board that is supposed to be a "Consumer Protection agency" and spoke to Mr. Dickson.

The first words out of his mouth were "PSE&G will check the meter.. If the meter is functioning, then you have somehow consumed the 10, 000 kwh in 2 months. He then went ahead to praise PSE&G saying that they are accurate, they can be trusted, and their investigation is final... This is coming from the mouth of the Agency that is supposed to protect the consumer... He added: "we are neutral" as opposed to we protect the consumer... In fact, he is letting PSE&G be the other party, the investigator and the judge. Whether they commit fraud or not, it is not his concern.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Oct, 2009 by   docholiday 0 Votes
they do comit fraud even if rates fall they still try to get their money back from yhe public .they charged me 850 dollars for nat gas, when all i have is a hot water heater. this cmpany has rippng off the public for60yrs.
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   Sobeida 0 Votes
They have overcharging me. Today somene came to shut down my meter. Can you believe that? !! I have always paid without hesitation. I declined to pay $300 for heating in July (summer!!!). I went to their offices & they assured me that not to worry thet I "only owed $200 in for both July & Aug". Now They want to shut off my accts saying I still owe "all the money from b4".

And they say that there's only one other company that offer their services. So, is this a monopoly then?

I am horrified by what user Nabils has said now. Who do I go now?
S
 21st of Apr, 2013 by   chewy s 0 Votes
I am having the same problem. They are charging an estimated gas bill and have been for months. I have called and no one is coming out to "investigate". I refuse to pay them $70 a month for just gas when the only things in my house that are gas are my stove and hot water. I work 2 jobs and am not home to even cook. I eat out almost every noght and I dont shower but 2 times a day. How is my bill $70? More over I checked my meter and it read 5132 but PSEG has my reading at 7139. Thats 2007kwh more than what I should actually owe. So my estimation is they owe ME!!
 10th of Jul, 2013 by   Ashish J 0 Votes
I am also recent victim of their "estimated" meter reading scam. They sent bill TWO weeks late and when I submitted meter reading, they refused to adjust bill because it's too late for system to take adjustments.
I am thinking to file complaint in board of public utilities but above post says, it's no use

Consumer Tips: Secure Personal Information