logo

DMCI
To aspiring & excited homeowners - BEWARE OF DMCI, Royal Palms
3. (13 mins ago)
Psg Surveys
Stay away from these con artist
4. (14 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Scam and lies

Pimsleur Approach
pimsleurapproach.com
After ordering the course online and receiving an email that my course had shipped, I expected to receive it by mid September at the latest since it was ordered on 8/31/08. I was anxious to receive it so that I could start studying German during a period of unemployment. I was given a UPS tracking number and when I tracked it, it said that they had received notice that a package was about to be shipped to me, and that a label was printed and waiting for the package. After waiting a month, I checked the tracking number again and I still had the same message and still had not received my German Course. By this time I really wanted the course so I could start swearing in German, but after contacting Pimsleur by email and speaking to a rep, I received a promise that my course would be resent, but it never happened and on top of that I was supposed to receive a call back from the rep when it shipped. Well there I was with another week of waiting and several emails and still no course, no refund and no response from the folks at Pimsleur. All that I receive when I email is the automated response with a ticket number. After nearly two months of frustration I truly believe there are better alternatives to the APPROACH THAT PIMSLEUR HAS INSTORE FOR THE NEXT UNSUSPECTING STUDENT!
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Nov, 2011 by   Big scam Pimsleur 0 Votes
Big SCAM !!!
I believe those who earn dark money will have tragedy life in the end !!!
 5th of Nov, 2011 by   jchrisg +1 Votes
I bought the $9.95 deal, received it no problems. I immediately called Stroll and told them I didn't want any more products sent in the mail because of not being able to afford it. They convinced me to stay with them, saying that I could pay over a longer period of time.

Eventually got the second automatic shipment in the mail. I didn't want to pay for it, so I wrote "REFUSED: RETURN TO SENDER" in red on it and the post office picked it up from my house the next day.

I called Stroll and told them I didn't want any more shipments and I was serious this time. They asked about the most recent shipment and I told them what I did. They said that writing that on the shipment will make the package end up in "dead mail" at the post office and I had to call the post office and track it down, get the package back, call them and they would tell me how to "properly" ship it back.

Not so much a scam, but they run you through hoops trying to return stuff and definitely throw their sales techniques on you on the phone to keep you a customer.
 18th of Nov, 2011 by   james st etobicoke 0 Votes
thanks a lot for all your comments. I was thinking of buying but with your comments. big thanks to everyone..
 19th of Nov, 2011 by   jchrisg 0 Votes
Follow up: I went to the post office one business day later and told them what Pimsleur Approach (STROLL) told me about the package ending up in "dead mail." I asked the postal worker if this happens to packages that are marked "REFUSED: RETURN TO SENDER."

She told me that this was not true and that the package ONLY ends up in "dead mail" if there is no return address already on the package. She asked me if there was a return address. I said, "Yes, I didn't take the original label off." She asked me in case the company needed to send it back to me if I had my own address on there. I said, "Yes, my address was also on the original label."

She then said that it will be shipped back to them with no problems. Whatever you do though, if you know it's from Stroll, don't open it up if you plan to return it with the "RETURN TO SENDER" method. If you do open it, Stroll can say that you meddled with the contents and they will charge you anyway. I don't think they're a scam, but they make things awfully difficult for their customers.
 10th of Dec, 2011 by   Inou +1 Votes
Most of these comments are based on problems with shipping and recurrent fees and things of the sort. There aren't much comments on the program itself. If you look at the reality of the situation, whenever you want to order a program on the Internet or phone from the company itself, almost always you're going to have problems. If you want to avoid this don't order directly from pimsleur, try amazon or eBay to avoid these shipping problems because it's an almost guarantee that you won't have them. I have tried the pimsleur approach program myself. And commenting solely on the program. It does exactly what it says. I took three years of french in high school and it was a waste of time. During the first year I decided to try pimsleur and soon after that everyone saw how I was actually a better speaker in french and could comprehend a lot better than them even though I was only getting a C in the class. Even my teacher constantly commented how I belonged in French 2 not 1. I come from a french speaking family being Congolese and attend french mass and I am always being commented on how well I speak french after pimsleur. Even when I went to visit Kinshasa a french speaking city people noticed how well my french was for an American and how I don't even have an accent. So the program itself, not problems or issues with shipping or ordering, is the real deal and does exactly what it says.
 4th of Jan, 2012 by   stosh33 0 Votes
go to travis thydzik's blog and you can download these audio books for free. www.thydzik. why deal with the rip offs? F em
 13th of Jan, 2012 by   siagakoti 0 Votes
Hahaha. After reading all of this I called the customer care line, and they tried pretty hard to keep me on the bandwagon.
I had purchased both the Q&S Italian and German, and I wanted to not even both getting the trial. But, the woman (who "seemed" nice [but everyone knows that that is a reps job]) kept trying to tell me that they can help me focus on a particular language, and that there were other options. She took about ten minutes.
I just continued to tell her that I didn't want to get involved in the scamming mess that most agencies have, as much as she denied that *their* company was like that (yeah right).
So...if you do happen to read this, I personally recommend not getting involved and just to cancel the trial once you get your Q&S package, and hold your ground about canceling. These people can be persuasive, thus their job.
 29th of Jan, 2012 by   Read_The_Fine_Print 0 Votes
Most of you are complaining for no reason. The website clearly states that when you order the Quick & Simple you will start to receive next level Pimsleur Gold course in your selected language. This happens automatically . You can't claim that you didn't ask for the future shipments, because you do so by ordering the Quick & Simple. It also states that you have 30 days to cancel by calling 1-877-802-5283. It says If you decide to keep the course, simply do nothing and they will bill the same credit card provided 4 monthly payments of $64. They also state If you decide you do not want the course or any future courses, simply call 1-877-802-5283 to return it within the 30-day trial period and pay nothing except for the return shipping cost. It may be inconvenient for those that wish to cancel, but they are not tricking you or making fraudulent claims. (https://www.pimsleurapproach.com/about_the_program_acq026.html).
I can't believe some of the comments that deny ordering any future shipments. You need to grow up and be responsible for your actions. Not complain about everything that you don't get for free. Life is not like that. If you have trouble getting them to cancel, simply call your Credit Card Company and tell them to stop making payments. Better yet use a one time use credit card number that most credit cards offer on their websites.
 13th of Feb, 2012 by   mdj1266 0 Votes
Obviously a scam. I also recieved the "Gold" edition that I never was informed I was going to get, and they are supposedly going to start charging my card $64 per month. I attempted to contact them to ensure I was returning the CD's to the correct address, and the phone call would NEVER go though. Anyone out there have ANY luck returning the program and not getting charges to your account?
 20th of Feb, 2012 by   elementalcobalt 0 Votes
I read this before even going to their site, but you guys trying to deal with them are just wasting time. Just file a credit card dispute with the credit card company to get the money back, keep their crappy gold program they sent you, change your credit card number, and move on with your lives. If they are this well known as scammers, trust me, your credit card company is aware of it and will bite the cost.
 19th of Mar, 2012 by   MarkBo +1 Votes
Seems like we need to separate Pimsleur as a method of learning language from all these apparently crook re-sellers...

The Pimsleur method of learning another language is absolutely tried and true... Buying directly from Simion and Schuster for the full retail price allows you to know exactly what you are getting. The $9.95 bait-promo is a common way to "hook" unsuspecting customers who don't read the fine print... But all that "bait and switch" scamming has NOTHING TO DO WITH Pimsleur's materials or effectiveness in learning another language...

It is an EXCELLENT way to learn another language...
 24th of Mar, 2012 by   AblahH 0 Votes
So, i heard about the Pinsleur method and used it once before and loved it. Then found the ad online about the "discount" and fell for the people in charge of this scam and their way of using the Pimsleur product. I've tried to cancel my order but received the Gold edition anyways, so now I need to know how to get out of this mouthly payment scam before things get really out of hand and i have to pay more then i need for something i dont want anything to do with anymore.
 28th of Mar, 2012 by   Emilio Vergne +1 Votes
They got me too. I told them I did not want it that I did not have the time and most importantly, I want it to return my order. They never send the UPS return number and charged me for the whole amount.
BEWARE. They will get you too.
 11th of Apr, 2012 by   colinmeister 0 Votes
First comment. I ordered the free package from the spam email. The package arrived fairly quickly, but it was the gold package. I read the instructions, and tried to download the booklet from the web address given, but it did not download. I listened to a couple of lessons, and realised that I'd have to pay installments to keep the course. I emailed the company for a RMA code as directed on the web site, but received no reply within 24 hours apart from an automatic answer.
I telephoned the company and asked for an RMA, and was eventually given one after efforts were made to encourage me to keep the product.
I will return the product tonight, well within the 30 days allowed and the 10 days allowed for the RMA. I will post again here when I receive my refund (Or not) and if I am still charged for the course which I will have returned.
I don't recommend anyone to get involved with this product.
 13th of Apr, 2012 by   Helped Customer +1 Votes
Thank you for all of your feedback, as I am deciding whether or not to order the Pimsleur Approach for Russian, Spanish, and Italian; and have decided to do all three. I infer that if I cancel quickly, once I have received the courses, everything will be fine and I won't have to pay any extra significant amount of money... I hope it works, and thank you again for all of your feedback.
 4th of May, 2012 by   lizz00 0 Votes
I literally just ordered and looked up reviews. And found this. Its Saturday and I can't get in touch with them till Monday!!! I emailed them about the cancel and got a robot email back.
Please help and tell me what to do!
 4th of May, 2012 by   lizz00 0 Votes
Please help! I just ordered this! And I can't get to contact with them until Monday.
I emailed for a cancel but got a robot reply. Please tell me what to do!
 6th of May, 2012 by   william h king 0 Votes
I have been receiving learn to speak spanish quite often, I though one tape was it but they keep sending me more. the problem is that the mother company charged me on 3=12 and again on 3-16 how can I get charged twice and also how do I get rid of it. I never have the time to listen to them anyway, even when my health lets me stay out of medical facilities.
 9th of May, 2012 by   krisgo 0 Votes
Totally DISAGREE with all the complaints! It is clearly stated on the website how the process works. I was not surprised by any additional CD sets or monthly charges. I was also VERY HAPPY with how quickly I picked up the language and was excited to receive the next set. I am almost finished with level II German and can't wait to start level III. I have been able to carry on basic daily conversations with my mother who was born in Austria and speaks German fluently. She was pleasantly surprised when I started speaking to her in German very early on in the first course, and it has been fun to add additional conversation as each lesson is mastered. I simply listen to the CDs in my car on my way to and from work.
I am actually considering another language from the Pimsleur Approach when I am done with German! I DO recommend it.
 13th of May, 2012 by   jOEjOEandreandre 0 Votes
I was shocked at the aggressive on-line ad. Fortunately I was multi-tasking and didn't turn it off until after 10 minutes it asked if I wanted more info. I got nothing out of the commercial. A female voice is wrong for this type of ad and she spoke so fast it was difficult to follow. After reading the reviews I am glad I didn't waste my $10.00.

Account Verification‏ Western Union Scam