Unauthorized Charge

I checked my Pay Pal transaction history and I found People Smart had made an unauthorized charge on my account. On 01/27/11 I made two authorized payments to People Smart totaling $69.90 for a one year unlimited search. However, on 02/03/11 an additional charge of $35.40 appeared on my account with no explanation.

People Smart has agreed too refund $65.35. I am no longer a member but they still owe me $39.95. They have offered no explanation why they made that additional charge. Pay Pal has no explanation why they okayed that unauthorized transaction.
Complaint comments Comments (4) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful?

16th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was searching for an address of a friend of mine. On the internet I found Peoplesmart... this is an information company. You can be come a member for ~$40 or get a single address for $1.95. I used paypal to pay $1.95 for a single search only. Their web site clearly said:
Don't want to become a member... That's okay. You can view the results ... by purchasing a one time report.
One week later they charged me ~$40 via my Paypal account.
I always thought, that someone needed my password to authorize a payment with paypal... apparently not. Peoplesmart.com does NOT have my password, but apparently anybody can draw money from my Paypal account for any or no reason. This is very alarming, since Paypal deduct this money from my bank account. Someone can steal every penny I got and there is nothing I can do about it.
I have attached a Word document, which clearly shows (screen shots) that Peoplesmart is stealing...
 21st of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
PayPal refunded my money, but they sent me this e-mail:
We’ve finished our investigation of your dispute.
This payment is an authorized transaction of a billing agreement.
We have issued a refund of the payment(s). The credit will either post to
your PayPal account balance or the credit card used to make the payment.
Because this payment is the result of a billing agreement that was set up, we suggest you contact the merchant to make sure your account with them is secure.

Despite the fact, that they refunded my money, I am not satisfied.
They called it an authorized charge... I have overwhelming proof, that I did NOT authorize the charge.
Unfortunately this complaints board does not allow me to upload higher resolution images.
Obviously now I cannot use PayPal any longer, because they called me a fool and a liar.
I also urge you to be careful, your Paypal account is NOT as safe as you think. A company can charge you without your knowledge or your password... just like a credit card.
 2nd of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
I too was shocked when this company had opened an open ended account through my Pay Pal account. To add to this they accessed my linked checking account which was not my preferred method of payment, my more secure credit card was. I had only signed up for a one time search for $19.95 . I found their report to be outdated regarding addresses and work history and totally useless not worth $19.95 not to mention because of them opening an unauthorized open ended account with my Pay Pal I am beyond alarmed . Pay Pal needs to drop this merchant for their deceptive practices...talk about safe and secure transactions!
 26th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
On 9/25/15, I called your office concerning my email, 6/15/15, please read it. She, Amy told me that I am still a membership of People Smart until I told her to cancel it. In that letter, I asked for a full refund of $240, the fact that all certified and regular letter I sent to 3 different people were returned to me for incorrect address. My membership was cancelled on 6/10/15, also when I asked for a full refund my membership ceases.

Therefore, I've been paying $24.95 monthly (including double membership fees) from November 2014 until October 2015 for a period of 10 months. It is understood that my email on 6/15/15 was ignored. Calculated to be $240.00 (plus 3 months 3x$24.95 equals or 74.85) or $314.85. For this reason, I am asking a full refund. Send to me in money order address: 2510 Leprechaun St., Houston, TX 770127.

Zosimo Largo