logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Shell
on line lottery prize winners among the thousands email id arround the world
3. (20 mins ago)
bmw uk
regarding fake lottery winning
4. (22 mins ago)
Lower my payment today
They are a scam
5. (58 mins ago)
Beulah Grove Baptist Church in Augusta / Concert Event!!
only two good things about concert!!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Pella Windows and Doors Complaints & Reviews - Pella windows are crap!

Pella Windows and Doors Contacts & Informations

Pella Windows and Doors

Posted:    Valerie

Pella windows are crap!

We spent a lot of money on pella windows and they turned out to be crappy. We get so much moisture around are windows that a rag is soaken wet. We called pella several times complaining about the problem A guy even came out to our house to look at our windows. He said our house is seeled up to tight thats why we get moisture.That is not true, we even have a dehumidifier. They did nothing about helping with the problem. I do not recommend pella windows to anyone.

Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Jan, 2007 by   Former Pella Corp. employee 0 Votes
I don't recommend them either, and I used to build them!
 21st of Jan, 2007 by   Cindy S 0 Votes
Window problems are often due to improper installation by the builder/contractor, which can void the warranty on the window. It's very hard to hold a builder/contractor accountable, and the companies will point fingers at each other. Make sure you document your complaint very well, and don't let important deadlines pass without written proof you notified them of the problem. You can find out about one common problem that's often done wrong, window flashing, on several good building sites like jlconline.com or buildingscience.com

Also, it's highly recommended you hire a competent expert to inspect and discover exactly why you have these problems. Get legal advice before deadlines run out too. Sometimes a state's statute of limitations runs LONGER than the builder's one year warranty but don't count on it.

It's not normal for excessive water to be coming in, no matter what they tell you. Many people have very low humidity and still have this problem because something leaking. You can buy small hygrometers to measure the humidity around your house.

If these houses are built to be so fragile that you can't have a normal life in them then it's a flaw in design/construction. No one should have to mop up water from a window in a new house.
 10th of Apr, 2007 by   Ann 0 Votes
I ordered pella french doors 850 series. the doors I received looked different from their display and their answer was they change the style of that model and too bad for me the new style does not match the rest of the doors i already bought. They told me they do not need to update their display and had no even idea if their display would even be updated since they can change anything they want without having to change the display! ...buyer be aware what you're looking at when you look at pella display may not be what you'll be getting...never again I 'll buy from them their customer service is really arrogant next time I will buy some high end window like marvin even if it means spending more...I am telling everybody I know how little this company cares about their product which by the way does not look as good as in the showroom where the unfinished pine is coated with varnish and made you to look better than what it is ..cheap pine ,grade 1, but still cheap pine
 17th of May, 2007 by   ricky bobby -1 Votes
They are a fine product you probably just don't maintain them properly like your owners manual says. And if they were made from grade one lumber they would have knots all through out the wood! Do some research and quit complaining.
 18th of Sep, 2007 by   P Chester 0 Votes
Not only do the windows have serious problems, but the service is really bad too. I purchased a bay window that was damaged during delivery and now, 5 months later, I can't close up the wall because the service department has not even ordered my parts yet. They just called and needed the specs for the window so they can order the parts needed. A service tech came to my house 2 months ago to measure and make sure that the correct parts were ordered.
 14th of Oct, 2007 by   Gale D. Brugh 0 Votes
We had a passive solar home built 20 years ago. We used Pella windows because we wanted quality. BIG mistake. From the start we had leaks. Pella blamed it on the builder. After 20 years of trying everything, we had a builder work on the problem only to discover that the windows did not have a flange on the bottom so water ran into the dormer wall and down thru the roof. The window frames were totally rotted. Finally after much expense and wasted time the windows are replaced and the leak has stopped.We had a similar problem with the sun room and Pella. Partially paid to fix that.
 17th of Oct, 2007 by   MG -1 Votes
You need to make sure that when installing you follow the instruction to the letter. The windows are the best on the market for the money. The warranty is the best on the market. If the product is not installed to the specifications you WILL have problems no matter what.
 6th of Dec, 2007 by   Michael DiMaggio 0 Votes
Don't waste your money! We are on our 4th new house and the builder talked me out of Anderson Windows and put in Pella!
The worst mistake of my life! At Pella's request we had our house tested for exsesive moisture, the test came out fine and Pella told us to take a hike! So for 3 years we get up in the morning and scrape ice of the inside of our windows ( have pitures to prove it) and try to keep them dry! I never had this problem with Anderson windows, so buy Anderson! One other thing are builder bought us a industrial dehumidifyer and guess what higher electric bills and water on the windows! So Pella said your heat is set to low, so now it is 70 F in our house and still water!
So now lets see higher gas & electric bills and constantly wiping your windows,what a great life!
 13th of Jan, 2008 by   Rob K. 0 Votes
I have two new Pella fiberglass moulded french doors in my new home.
All the "DOORs" are 3/8 inch out of square from top to bottom edge. I'm not talking about the Jamb's being out of square, I mean the actual door.

The entry door with sidelight's and transom are another problem. They sent the wrong swing door and it took 8 months to get the replacement.

My contractor has been trying to get Pella to correct the French Door out of square problem for months and they claim it's the installation causing the doors to be out of square. There is no way that installing the jambs out of plumb can cause the fiberglass door to become un-square.

The would like to see Pella in a class action suit. Viewed by many to be junk.
 19th of Jan, 2008 by   Colin Kean 0 Votes
I have a Pella Bay window that was put in a new addition on my house. The window leaked from day one in Nov. 2006, seeping water all around the "seat" board and window trim edge. Pella (more the company that handles Pella sales in our Mid Atlantic region) came to my home about 5 times before they decided the problem was with a micro weld on the interior bottom of their window. The weld is supposed to direct the water to the weep holes outside, but was sending a small portion of the water back into the house. Pella agreed to replace the window and pay for the installation.

So the window was delivered to my garage in August 2007 (could have been late July) where we made sure it was put so that no damage could come to it. In September my builder came to install the window. I made sure I was home to see that It went straight from the garage and into the opening without incident. The installation was smooth as silk and I was convinced the problem was cured. Note: We were experiencing a drought all summer and fall. In November we got our first real rain out of the Northeast, which comes at that window. It leaked. I contacted Pella and let them know, and volunteered to double check some things to make sure the problem wasn't on my end. Then I had to wait for the next good rain.

The day after Christmas it rained and the window leaked like a sieve. It leaked 20 times worse than the other one ever did. We soaked up no less than 4 bath towels of water out of that window seat that day. Obviously I called Pella. They did schedule someone out to my house on Jan. 14th. He was very nice and caulked two spots on the window hardware on the window that he felt hadn't been done properly during manufacturing. I was pretty sure this wouldn't take care of it but we are taking corrective steps here, so I was not going to complain.

On Jan. 17th it poured rain. And I took on more water than I care to comment on in just a few hours. I mean a bath towel so wet after less than 4 hours that you couldn't pick it up without water pouring out of it. ---called Pella. The Manager with the distributor told me that his supervisors had told him the problem must be with the installation of the window and that they would come out and water test my window if I pay $3,000 up front. I told him I would call him back since that amount stuck in my throat upon first hearing it. I then went about double checking my window.

There is no problem with the installation. No water is coming in at all from the top or along the sides where the window meets the house. The water as I found with a simple "shower" test (no I did not hose water directly at the window but rather created a specific shower effect against the area where I suspect the water is coming in) and presto, it looks as if that same micro weld problem is happening. I showered only the lower corner of the bay window where the side window meets the front window glass and in just moments.... WATER. Nothing the hose touched had ANYTHING to do with the installation. Not where it meets the house and not where the roof was built over the window. Nothing! So I guess now I have to upfront money to Pella so they can come out and discover that they have another faulty window. Sadly I'm concerned that for them this is now going to be 100% about the cost, but now I have a window that leaks so bad that I'm afraid to not be home during a good rain! I'm calling them to schedule their "water test". I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a story of -they took my $3K and told me it wasn't any problem with their window, which I know is not the case. I'll post up when I have a result, but right now I'm not sure where I stand.
 24th of Jan, 2008 by   nicholas p lorenzo 0 Votes
I have been in the glass and window industry for 25 years. I have replaced and repaired every window made and let me tell you that pella windows are the worst windows i have ever seen or worked on!also wait till you have to have service /repairs on them. I am presently trying to get parts for a client hows pella windows are less then two years old and havent had any luck at all. The saying you get what you pay for is counter intuitive when it come to pella. Over priced junk in my estamation!
 25th of Apr, 2008 by   Tom Carpenter 0 Votes
I have the same moisture issue I see described by others here.
I bought a bunch of Pella's and actually got some of the parts quick years ago when I first had issues, but it looks like I might be better off replacing them after looking at the rotted wood. The metal casing on the exterior has poor run-off design and traps moisture. A Pella rep was out when the window frames were exposed and when completed and he approved of the install. Years later, I see they rotted from under neath. I'm curious to see if they'll do anything for me.
 26th of Apr, 2008 by   Colin Kean +1 Votes
I'm on my second Bay and Pella just finished sending down an engineer to look over my window. Basically what they found was that the "micro weld" that they use was cracked at one of the angles. The problem as the engineer saw it occurred in the factory. He also found another break in the vinyl that had a piece missing that he felt was also at the factory. The caulking was sloppy inside the track and he cut out several big globs that were in places that would only direct the water to the cracked micro weld.

Pella has determined that I'm going to have to get ANOTHER Bay installed. I'm waiting on them now for delivery and install instructions. Now, they did not act as though this is a problem they are seeing a lot of, but that being said, this was my second already, and they leaked in similar ways.
 12th of May, 2008 by   Nancy Greenstein +1 Votes
We have had to have almost all the Pella windows in our home replaced. The warranty on the replacement windows will expire the same date as our original warranty. We are elderly, on a fixed income and expected these windows to last our lifetime. In this case we will need to sell our home before the replacement windows fail.

We had to pay for Pella to inspect the windows and then the labor on the replacements.

We have owned many homes over our lifetime and can say the inexpensive windows from Home Depot that we installed in a garage apartment two years before we installed Pellas look like new!
 23rd of May, 2008 by   e.carr 0 Votes
We have Pella doors and windows on our 8 year old house. All of a sudden EVERY window has mold at the bottom. I get no response from Pella on this.
 6th of Jun, 2008 by   Red 0 Votes
Pella hardware is absolute garbage. Just about all the cheap plastic covers between the window and crank have broken retainer tabs after five years of use. The roll pins that holds the crank to the shaft are always backing out. One by one the "blinds between the glass" mechanism for raising or lowering the blinds has broken due to a plastic pin on a roller bearing that breaks.

Stay away from this junk!
 7th of Jul, 2008 by   d bohler +1 Votes
I had 8 Pella windows installed by Pella reps within the last 20 months. I am experiencing a leak between the a double window installation. The Pella tech has shown up twice with caulk gun in hand. As the leak appears to be related to the direction of the wind and rain on the window, I can't yet tell if this will temporarily fix the leak or no. The leak appears to be between the windows. However, I did not buy Pella windows and have them installed by Pella to have Pella put caulking all over them to keep them from leaking. Something basically wrong here. I sense that Pella is trying hard to weasel out of the warranty which, by the way, is an insurance policy that the customer pays for when he buys the windows. If the warranty work is never executed the payment for the warranty goes right to Pella's bottom line.

Does anyone know of any class action against Pella?
Does anyone know what Florida state agency is concerned with improper business practices and the improper execution of warranties?
Does anyone know of any Federal agency concerned with improper business practices and the improper execution of warranties?
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   john m 0 Votes
I have had nothing but problems with these overpriced and poorly performing windows. My sliding doors both leak air and in the winter ice over on the wood, not the glass. The threshold is always wet and or frozen over. They have been in for about 8 years and I have had to sand down and reseal the threshold 2 times already. They came to my house and tested the moisture and said it was fine(they now deny doing that of course). Basically, all problems are mine and not theirs. Parts of my sliding doors have started falling off. They will fix them for a price of course. The only solution I have found for my wet windows is to cover them with pastic for the winter so they don't need wiping down constatntly, and so I don't have to redo all of that woodwork also. I will never buy another Pella product again
 19th of Aug, 2008 by   michael cardoso -1 Votes
to all those who have moisture between the glass it could be due to this:

If u have long drapes or curtains in front of the window and have heating vents right beside it, the heat gets trapped between the drapes and the glass and causes the diference in temperature, therefore causing the moisture build up. If you simply keep the drapes open or close that heating vent the problem goes away and your Pella products will be able to do their job efficiently.
Certain things cannot be blamed on the windows. in this era of extremelly quick construction, alot of shortcuts are taken. this impairs the efectiveness of your home. things such as leaks normally tend to happen threw the walls and not the windows. this cannot be controlled by the window.
Improper install is also a key factor with these issue. alot of people want to take the cheaper way and hire their own installers, then, when the install is not done properly they blame the product. Your brother in law is not the best installer despite what he says...lol
 28th of Aug, 2008 by   matt -1 Votes
I have worked for pella windows for many years and have never had one of my installs call back for any service problems. Not that it is worth anything but I am sorry that the product, the install, or the service you recieved was not up to or beyond par like it should be for the money that is paid. I work my ass off to provide everything that a buyer wants or needs. I wish i could have been your installer on these projects. -matt

Craigslist Scam Targets Renters