logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (5 mins ago)
Skycare ehr
Misleading product ( electronic medical records )
2. (5 mins ago)
Tagged Team Annual Lottery Promo 2011
Rita Collins, William Li, Dr. George Hu, Mr. Ro Many, Barrister Sok Hung
3. (13 mins ago)
University of Phoenix / Axia College / Apollo Group
Class Action Law Suit: Misuse of Title IV Funds and Accounting Practices: Unethical business practices : Scam and Fraud
4. (28 mins ago)
constant telemarketing

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

PayPower Reloadable Visa Prepaid Card, Portland, Oregon Complaints & Reviews - PayPower Pre-paid Visa Debit Card SCAM

PayPower Reloadable Visa Prepaid Card Contacts & Informations

PayPower Reloadable Visa Prepaid Card

Posted: 2011-10-03 by    Mimderbender

PayPower Pre-paid Visa Debit Card SCAM

PayPower
Portland, Oregon
I warn anyone thinking of purchasing a Prepaid Visa Debit Card to STAY AWAY FROM PayPower!!
They sell these cards at popular grocery store chains and convenient stores. You load money in-store by handing it over to the cashier. This officially "activates" the card, but then you are supposed to go home and "register" the card online by disclosing confidential personal info like SS numbers and the like in order to confirms your identity.

I naively went ahead with the game and it seemed to work, I received a verification email from PayPower soon after officially "registering" my card online which indicated that my account was successfully registered. Strangely, the email also read that the PayPower card I had purchased was only a temporary card and that upon registration I was automatically issued a replacement card which would soon be on its way in the mail.

Total scam!!! I have never received the card in the mail from PayPower. At the same time, Despite receipt of this email confirming registration, I have never been able to log-in to my account on the website to access my account!!! I have tried to use the card and the pin I set up at registration at the store (to at least just debit out the funds) but the card is declined!! FUNDS HAVE DISAPPEARED!!!

Worst part is, THERE IS NO LIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE TO COMPLAIN TO!!! They publish on their website ONLY 1 1-888 NUMBER, claiming Live Agent Customer Service 6 AM – Midnight CST, 7 days a week.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!! THE SYSTEM IS ENTIRELY AUTOMATED, NO OPTION IS GIVEN TO SPEAK WITH A LIVE AGENT!!! DIALING "0" For OPERATOR DOES NOT WORK EITHER!!

I purchased one at my local Safeway on a whim to try it out they have a large product display featuring PayPower Prepaid Visa Debit Cards.
I paid out $5.95 for the card and then an additional $75.00 thinking I would save it for "a rainy day."
t looks like I've lost my money
Comments United States Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Oct, 2011 by   PayPower +1 Votes
Hello,

We apologize for any inconvenience and would like to help you resolve the issue. Please email your card and contact information to PR@Blackhawk-net.com so that we may assist you.

PR for PayPower
 14th of Oct, 2011 by   jmontgom.10 0 Votes
I have had a similar problem activating my PayPower card. They required my "initial value, " which I was told was $50. The customer service department disagreed and basically told me my money was gone and out the door unless I could get them the "correct" initial value. Since they were in complete control of the situation and I had no way to provide them with whatever mystical number they were expecting (when you receive a gift card, how else are you supposed to verify the value other than use the value reported to you by the gift giver and present on the receipt?!), my money is gone. I'm still pushing against them pretty hard, but I have a hunch I'm never going to see those $50.

Thanks PayPower for stealing my aunt's $50 gift,
Jordan
 18th of Oct, 2011 by   Ekky 0 Votes
I have no problem with paypower at all.. I get my check direct deposit every two weeks.. I used the card everyday.. Beside the monthly service charge.. This card cone in handy... U use what u put in..

Customer since 2010
 10th of Jul, 2012 by   Bluesman43 0 Votes
Thinking I'd just present my daughter with a cash card for her birthday and let her decide how to spend it, I purchased one of the Paypower cards at the local Safeway. This was in early April; it's now well into July. When she called to register the card, the company took all her information. But, when she tried to access her account to check the balance, there was a message that the card was not 'authorized.' Thinking that maybe I should have registered the card (as original purchaser) I finally called after she'd gone through the registration process numerous times with no satisfactory result. When I called, the agent (who was barely understandable - heavy latino accent) started asking for all sorts of personal information, claiming it was required for the process. This is after my daughter had already given them a ton of information they had requested to 'authorize' the card. I told the service representative that I had purchased the card as a gift for my daughter and had no intention of using it myself, so declined to provide any additional information. I have several other major credit/debit cards (VISA among them) and have never been asked for as much information as Paypower was requesting. I told the service representative that I was very disappointed in the authorization process, the ongoing delay for my daughter to be able to access either account information or purchases and that the company should go ahead and close the card account completely and refund the remaining balance (they apparently charge a monthly transaction fee whether the card is 'activated' or not) to my daughter's address (which they had asked for). The representative responded almost immediately that they could not de-activate the card and refund the money because the card had now been activated. By this time, I was becoming annoyed with what seemed to be a real 'run around' and told the representative that I still wanted the card deacitivated, money refunded, that I was terminating the conversation and pursuing alternative action through the State Attorney General's office, VISA, Safeway Customer Service and the Better Business Bureau. Copies of the information provided here have been forwarded to those offices and agencies. My intention is to post this story on several blogs, Facebook, and mention my dissatisfaction on Twitter. I've been told there's no such thing as 'bad' advertising - well, we'll see.
BTM
 15th of Nov, 2012 by   synja +1 Votes
I agree with Ekky. Paypower is an incredibly useful tool that I use everyday too. I've been using it for over two years and have had only a few problems with their service. Currently, I cannot use the debit function and I admit, it's a bit annoying; nevertheless, quite useful.

They do ask for your SS# but I haven't had a problem with that. Plus, it's not like they verify that it's your Real number ;)
Also, they send a card out a few weeks after you register the card. Just keep track of your information and you'll be all set.
 11th of Jan, 2013 by   1234567890112345677 0 Votes
I bought this card for my disabled son to travel with. Cash is difficult for him to handle. I wanted the security that if he lost the card, we could report it and get him a replacement right away. When I went on line and gave out my son's personal information (social security number) birthday...I got a message that they could not process my request. I called customer service and spoke to a gentleman who could not speak English well. I had to have him repeat everything to try and understand him. He took my trouble report and told me someone would call me in two days. I got the call two days later and spoke to another person who could barely speak English. He told me that they could not verify my sons identity (same problem as other people who have tried) and therefore could not set up the account. After much arguing back and forth he finally told me the account information I provided on line did not match with government records!! He refused to give me any options in verify my sons identity. He could still use the card but if the card was lost or stolen, we would be out $500. WHAT A SCAM!! I jsut hope and pray they are not trying to use his personal information some how. WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN. The customer service is all automated and it is very difficult to get to a person and when you do they are overseas.

Another Duct Cleaning Scam