logo

refund

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Outdoor Adventures Complaints & Reviews - Outdoors Adventures is a scam!

Outdoor Adventures Contacts & Informations

Outdoor Adventures

Posted:    Valerie

Outdoors Adventures is a scam!

I was promised so many wonderful things with OUTDOORS ADVENTURES, only to be extremely disappointed. The costs for this 'deal' is ridiculous--OVER $8000.00--and, again, this was suppose to be a 'deal'. Not only do you pay $8000.00 or even more, but then you have to pay a yearly fee of $348.00! For what? Never any availability, and if there is availability, it is a complete and total disaster: Dirty rooms, broken items, smelly, and the most rude people I have ever met! They won't let you out of this 'deal' for anything. OUTDOORS ADVENTURES say that this is an 'investment'. I say they are a SCAM. I feel with all my heart that---OUTDOORS ADVENTURES is a SCAM!!!
Comments United States Travel & Vacations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of May, 2009 by   pcfix609 0 Votes
Yes to all including what we found out recently. The more or less $8000 you paid for was actually for a 5 year membership term! We didn't know that or maybe we did not understand their agent during the sale day. All we thought was the deal was for a "lifetime" membership. We were wrong. There are no rights and no ownership after 5 years and after you have paid over $8000 plus the yearly $348. It's not worth it - the Davidson MI resort and others is a joke.
 28th of Mar, 2010 by   JLThomas 0 Votes
My wife and I went to Outdoor Adventures as part of a promo that's designed to get people to join the facilities in March 2010. They give you a key that will hopefully win a truck, but have two prizes if that doesn't happen. First they guarantee you've won a minimum of $500.00, which is simply inaccurate.

There's 5 potential prizes and you win two: 1) His her watch, which is worth $20.00 MAYBE with odds of 74, 992 out of 75, 000; 2) Disney Trip with odds of 1 out of 75, 000; 3) 27" TV, with odds of 3 out of 75, 000; 4) eight 3night-2day vacations, which is more complicated then it's worth to even attempt to book, plus it costs $50.00 just to do the paperwork with a refund once you land the hotel with zero airfare, etc. with odds of 74, 992 out of 75, 000; and 5) $500.00, with odds of 2 out of 75, 000.

The long and short: You will win the $20 dollar watches and the 8 vacations you really can't use. They also promised a $25 dollar resturant voucher, which I had to remind them of (as they forgot).

Finally, it costs $10, 000 to join and $360 per year for one park only -- which wasn't nearly as nice as many state parks I've stayed in. The salesman couldn't even answer any questions related to overbooking, peak times, slow times, cost to use the outdoor pool, etc. His answers were circle-jerks. Then they slid in the ultimate salesman to try and convince us of this great deal, at which point he cut the price in half. This alone was a turn off. Having the price dropped in 1/2 within minutes demostrates the true value of this package. It's worthless. Goodluck Outdoor Adventures...see you in bankruptcy court.

My two cents worth: Don't give an organization like this $10, 000 of your hard earned money, as bankruptcy will wipe your poor investment right out. They apparently have no safeguards in place to protect your 10k.
 14th of Apr, 2010 by   concerned member holder 0 Votes
We got suckered into this lifetime contract. The first year we got into the campgrounds fairly easy, the second year was the year I paid them off and it was a nightmare to get a reservation. if you are going to get a membership look online for someone selling thiers. you will save a boatload, just remember lifetime means lifetime, you will pay at least the $360 a year for the rest of your life weither you use it or not. We didn't get a reserveation at all for the Davison location last year as they said they were booked up all summer. When they gaurentee a place to camp it can be at any of the five campgrounds, and doesn't have to be a camp site. it can just be an open feild and if you are lucky they will run extention cords out for power. If you go and listen to a presentation, nothing is free, but the camping after the membership fee and dues are paid.

We were most interested in the coast to coast travel arrangments. It doen't work well at all and can get better prices on expedia. By the bay it is an additional fee for that too annually!
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   Love camping 0 Votes
While the cost is high, initially, the pleasure of camping there is well worth it. Unfortunently the Davison location gets the Detroit and south traffic, along with locals from the area, in which keeps it packed year round. They are trying to make improvements to size and accomidations to handle the extreme load, but if willing to travel another 1.5-2 hours north, those resorts are very nice also.
Yes, attitudes very. I'd never camp near Detroit as attitudes would be abundent, however I run into very few in Davison with a very poor attitude.
As for kids, I have the lifetime family and 2 kids over 18. They are welcome to camp at any and have took advantage of the canoe deal up north.
Now my one negative; we rented the cabin in Davison and the water smelled like rotten eggs. I hear they are working on that but don't know the status. I've stayed at simular to better resorts in which the water smelled the same or worse.
Overall; great vacation option for families which love to camp and can afford it in the long hall.
 16th of Aug, 2010 by   schmitten 0 Votes
This is a scam. I used to camp off a family members membership and had no problems. After awhile I decided to sign up for a membership and now I can only get on the waiting list and get a 1-2 day warning that an opening came up for the weekend I put in for. over ninety percent of what there salesman tell you is a lie, they just want you to sign the membership papers to take your money. I even had reservations I made over two months ago for this up coming weekend and they don't have me on the books and their only resolution was to put me on a waiting list due to their mistake. The place is a joke and I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in hopes to get some money back and end the nightmare with Outdoor Adventures. The other issue when you do get in the place is that you have to worry about your stuff getting stolen and it's way over crowed. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
 7th of Sep, 2010 by   squeezics 0 Votes
They did the same thing to my husband and I. I can NEVER get in and the salesman all lie!! I have placed a complaint with the BBB and the AG. I know I maybe stuck in this contract, but its worth a try to get out of it! I was also told I would be able to camp anytime, but when reservations were placed I was told it's full, yet I seen 40-60 EMPTY spots (they claim they are not "done yet") They offer a lot of promises but return nothing!! The staff at the campground was nice, but the people in the office are not. Oh ya I was told that "summer is a very busy time of the year for camping" DAAAA its SUMMER when do most people camp in the winter?
 21st of Sep, 2010 by   eophelia 0 Votes
Yes, Outdoor Adventures is a total scam- we were not told about that $360 a year fee. While we were trying to work that out with them, they placed more and more fees on our account, making it impossible to pay. We tried to negotiate payment amounts with them to get back on track. They refused to talk more about, saying, "we'll just see what happens."

What happened? No letters, no warning, but a summons to appear in court to pay the full amount- we are being sued!

I am desperate for guidance on how to get out of this horrific scam (and my husband isn't allowed to touch another key that may win him a truck ever again).
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   WLW7410 0 Votes
Wow, a lot of negative...I did see a contract and decided not to sign. It was clearly listed a yearly membership fee in which can increase until a certain age..not only was that in the contract I almost signed, but it was listed in the check list the salesman went over with me. I decided, though, I loved the park, I didn't want to enter into an agreement that was for a life time...after all, I do not know who long I will live and I may not want to camp for that long. I don't know if I just pay attention to detail, but I didn't find any deceit, just the average salespeople...
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by   seanpad 0 Votes
I feel like I was taken advantage of with this campground. I went in to win my truck ( which I don't think anyone won) and was talked into signing this contract because it was so great. Shame on me I knew better. But I have a 5 year old son and all of the promises they were telling me of all this great stuff that was coming just sounded to good to pass up. Nothing they said they were going to do has been done yet. Just empty promises on their behalf. The monthly payment isn't bad but with the quarterly dues I have fallen a little behind.
We never use the place because its always so busy and just wanted out. Thats not possible.
Now the attorneys want me to pay in full or they are going to sue me. I agree that I sound contract - but I signed a contract for certain promises and I haven't seen them. If they don't keep theirs why should I keep mine.
They don't report to the credit bureau when payments are good so why should they report when the payments are bad.
Lots of questions, no answers, smoke and mirrors, Empty promises and lies.
Like I said shame on me I guess I should have known better.
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   Mrs. N. Smith 0 Votes
I have some of the same complaints. davison very hard to get into when I signed up you could only book 30 days in advance but as time went on new members could book 90 day in advance making it impossible to get in anywhere. I stopped paying for something I couldn't use. Was served a summons went to court and they didn't show the judge say nothing dismissed and they they filed again, like I had nothing better to do with my time. The second time I was unable to get to court due to work they recieved a judgement against me and one day an officer of the court came collect the amount to or take my vehicle to sell to pay the debt. I had to go to gthe bank and gt a cashiers check of 1500.00 then could pay 100 per month until the balance was paid. I made these payments for several month the hear from the legal department informing me that the court officer was being investigated and did I have proof of any payment I had made because none of them had been turned over the the resort. I did have the 1500.00 payment but the monthly payments I could only prove 3 of them the rest I lost out on. I will say that my five years were up and they did allow me to extend my membership until 2013 but I have to pay the $348.00 each year even though I already paid the annual fees for the five years I was under contract for that was included in my judgement. I do like the parks but they are much more crowded then when I sogned up and after 2013 I will not be extending my membership with them nor would I recommend my friends and family to join. Unless you camp one weekend a month from June to October You would payless to just go to a mom and pops campground for what the annual dues cost.
 23rd of Jan, 2011 by   cupaba 0 Votes
My wife and I filled out a entry form to win a Chevy ext. cab 4x4 which was inside Briarwood mall in Ann Arbor MI shortly before christmas 2010. we got a phone call on Jan. 16 2010 from a rep of Outdoor Adventures. She told us we would be getting a package in the mail that contained a key that MIGHT start the vehicle in the raffle. The info package came and inside was a key and a flyer. we were unable to make it to the Davison location on Jan. 2011. I opened the key envelope and to my surprise it was a dummy key. I took it to a freind at a dealer and he laughed at me. the key is a fake. it wont open or start anything. i am upset for two reasons.. this company would trick people into thinking they have a real key that can win a truck. this is bad buisness for the state of michigan. when the economy is struggling and anybody who thinks they are going to win will drive a long distance to be at OA. then once they get there it would be easy to see they have been duped. secondly, they are using valuable materials to create a scam. most of these so called keys will end up in the garbage. so i am mad for these people for creating litter for their own profit. in other words companies like this are not wanted needed or good for michigans economy. we have mailed OA a nice letter letting them know we are sending copies of thier scam to the BBB and the michigan attorney general.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   usedmember 0 Votes
STAY AWAY!!!
You will be stuck in more ways than you can imagine. There is no way to get out of the contract. Fall behind one time and you will be put on a black list and will always be told that there is a waiting list. They WILL get a judgment against you and WILL make every effort to collect by seizing assets or garnishment, even if you do not use the membership. Your yearly maintenance dues will also be added on to any outstanding balance even if you do not use the membership.
Once again my advice is to STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!!
 31st of Jul, 2011 by   orcide -2 Votes
You guys must be morons... We have had out membership for well over 5 years, not ONE time have we ever not been able to get into the park, especially if you make early reservations, and not try to always go during the holiday periods. We have loved every time we have went and outside of the drunken louts and kids that no one paid attention to, we have no qualms with any of the 5 resort locations, and no we didn't have to pay extra to be able to use any of the 5.
 2nd of Aug, 2011 by   usedmember 0 Votes
orcide. I am happy to hear that you have never had any issues. Sorry to say that Many others have. You must be one of the fortunate ones that have never had any problems like job loss, divorce or any other issues that have put a burden on you. Yes it is true if you have either paid for your membership in full from day one or have never been late on a payment or dues that you will be able to get a camping spot. But if you are late, have any problem at all making a payment or dues you Will be put on a black list.
Outdoor Adventures has Greatly over sold and continue to pack in more and more members. A 20 to 30 minute wait to even get thru the gate is not uncommon. Annual dues are near $400 now. Please keep going to their 5 locations. It will insure me a space at one of the many state or private campgrounds with less congestion. I don't know about you but one of the reasons I take my family camping is to get away from the congestion of the city. Oh and do the math. It may just save a lot of money to use state or private campgrounds. $25 a day for 15 days in some other campground = $375=more locations, less people and the list goes on and on.
Have a nice day.
 6th of Aug, 2011 by   withoutluck 0 Votes
We have had out membership for well over 7 years, And I hate the place 5 mile in hour speed is crazy it take 45 min to drive thought the place and the staff on the golf carts pass you on the road like your sitting still . And if they stop you for going over the speed they put on a black list, that how they can sell more membership.Outdoors Adventures is just one big scam! and the guy that Owens it no it ha!! Gary king
 7th of Sep, 2011 by   Luckydog48642 -1 Votes
I am a finalist to win the truck. I was pretty excited before I read all this. I'm guessing I'll have to sign into a contract to be eligable to win the truck? Well, O-well. Sounds like a lot of people get duped easily into spending 8 thousand dollars on a whim. Must have a lot more money than I do. Before I spend that kind of dough, I look into a company. I mean, C-mon people. What were you thinking?
 21st of Sep, 2011 by   miapple 0 Votes
For anyone who is looking to join Outdoor Adventures...do not purchase a new contract! There are several contract that are lifetime that people are trying to sell. I've have a lifetime full family membership for 10 years and never had a problem. We camp at the Standish resort during the summer. Come to Davidson for fall camp. Granted, at Standish the full hook-ups are the first to go, but we've managed to always get a site. We've recently purchased a lot that we own in a RV Resort in Homer and are trying to sell our membership. OA will not assist in any way with selling you memberships. You are on your own. But, these memberships are a deal compared to the cost of the current memberships.
 22nd of Sep, 2011 by   MI-Couple 0 Votes
HOLY COW my wife and I WON THE TRUCK!!! Just kidding!!! I don't think there is even a truck to win! They called my wife about our "appointment" with them tomorrow and after she asked a few questions about what was involoved, they got angry and ended up hanging up on her! That made the decision NOT to go tomorrow very easy! After reading other comments here, I am glad I'm not going to waste the time and gas to go there! Spend the extra $10 to get a yearly Michigan State Park pass and go camping somewhere nice!!!
 22nd of Sep, 2011 by   miapple -2 Votes
MI-Couple. If you have a membership that allows you to use all five camps without all of the restrictions...it's a great deal. Like I said, we've had our membership for 10 years and basically used the Standish Resort. We did enjoy it for years along with our children and grand children. But, we've moved on. We now have the trailer on our own lot in Homer, that we own as part of the RV resort. We are becoming snow birds and leaving the state for the winter. This last year our children have gotten more use out of the membership than we did. And their children and getting older and not wanting to camp as much anymore. This is why we are selling our contract. But, what did suprize us is that OA will not help you in any way sell your contract. You would think that they would offer to do so with the seller paying a commission? We just don't want to pay the $300.00 main. fee if we are not going to use it. But, for anyone wanting to enjoy the OA experience...do not purchase a new contract without checking out buying a current membership. Also, once you have the membership, you will be dragged into sales pitches with something like...you need to have your membership picture updated. It's nothing but a scam for you to 'upgrade' your membership to allow for more camping days on site. The contract we have allows for all five parks, two weeks on, one week off. It was more than enough for us since we do more than just camping. I can't believe the cost of these membership that people are paying today! And not even for a lifetime contract!
 26th of Sep, 2011 by   HappyCampersMI 0 Votes
Some real idiots on here. I read ALL the comments and it sounds like a bunch of babies that don't pay their bills or are upset they didn't win a truck. We have been members for over eight years and NEVER had a bad experience. I take offense that because you didn't win a truck you can post on here and bash me because I did. I can't believe some people here are complaining and then ADMITTING in the same post that they are behind in their payments. LOL. Stop paying your cell phone bill and see how long it takes for them to shut off the phone. Stop paying your car payment and see how long you can keep driving it. Does anyone on here read anything before they sign it? I do. I wonder what my mortgage company would say if I called them and said "I found another house so I am going to stop paying on this one"? As a proud member of 8 plus years I am glad that some of the morons on this thread didn't join. I also signed up for the truck and didn't win. But never once did I ever feel like it was a scam. Everyone was and still is super nice their and we weren't "pressured" into doing anything. Our membership has been paid off for three years now but I still owe $33.00 a month for my dues forever. I would like to ask any of these haters on here how many nights you can camp for 33 bucks a month? I bet my family goes a hell of a lot more than you. Sure it was another bill we did not need at the time but it's paid off now and I smile ear to ear camping for free WHENEVER we want to go while your sitting at home with your trailer in the backyard because gas is 4 bucks a gallon and any descent public campground is 50 bucks a night. And state campgrounds are a joke anyway. So just keep complaining. The more potential members read these posts the less people will join and that's just more idiots I don't have to camp next to.

P.S. I bet we have a lot more vacation photo albums than you.

Sincerely,