Open Business Directory, Ltd / Yellow-Page-Usa.com

Open Business Directory, Ltd
225 Franklin St, 26th floor
Boston, Massachusetts
Phone: 888-516-3083
They sent a fax to our company on 9/2011 requesting updated information about our company. I faxed back with big words that state remove our # from all list! Thank you. I check the box to be removed from their fax list also. They called me 9/7/2011, 10/10/2011, 4/20/12 & 5/30/12. Each time I told them we did not order any subscription services from them and to send me proof. They said I need to cancel with them first & I REFUSED, because that would say that I am agreeing with them. Do Not approve anything. Prepare "stop" letters and mail to the address listed on their website & the address in Moscow. Do not give any authorized person's name, not even yours, hang up. They tried calling on other phone lines, too. Go to the BBB, as of today they have 448 complaints. Keep a log of your calls with dates, conversation held, names and any paper trail for any future legal action.
Complaint comments Comments (15) Complaint country United States Complaint category Online Scams
More Open Business Directory, Ltd / Yellow-Page-Usa.com Complaints & Reviews
Open Business Directory, Ltd / Yellow-Page-Usa.com - Online directory listing

26th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
On July 23rd I received a fax at work. It was a 1 page document that appeared to be a yellow page update for our listing. Our business information was already partially filled in on the document. In order to be efficient I filled it out while standing at the fax machine and sent it back to the number provided. I never gave this another thought. Three weeks later my manager received a bill from "Yellow-Page-USA.com" in the amount of $1, 188.00. She then contacted our corporate office because she had no knowledge of the bill. She was directed to write "Management did not authorize" across the bill and fax it to the number provided. She did this immediately. On the 19th of September she received another bill with the previous amount of $1, 188.00 plus a new "reminder charge" of $50 now making the total bill $1, 238.00. We contacted the company "Open Business Directory Ltd" and asked what the bill was pertaining to. They explained that a contract was signed and services were rendered. We asked for the contract to be sent to us so that we could see it. The contract in question was the partially filled out form that I had received in July. I myself am not authorized to sign anything on behalf of the company, nor to speak on its behalf or authorize any new contracts and I am the one that mistakenly signed this “contract”. There was never any account number provided to me; not a single inquiry from the time this form was filled out and sent, to the time of billing. I am 100% positive that this is a scam. I have never heard of a business providing a service to ANYONE without first receiving some sort of payment as well as singing formal legal documents. Our company has not provided these people with any kind of compensation nor do they intend to. This company models its paperwork so that they appear to be a business that most people are familiar with (The Yellow Pages). Our company did not pursue any kind of business with Open Business Directory at any point; we have become the victim of a scam that is obviously rampant throughout the United States and Canada. There are over 700 complaints filed with the BBB and all of them are nearly identical situations to ours.
Just this morning (9/26/2012) I was finally able to get ahold of someone at Open business directory. I spoke with a woman by the name of Nadia at 10:25 this morning. I explained that we are receiving bills and do not have any intention of paying for them. I asked for her Employee Number, she said she does not have one. I then asked for her Employee ID, she also replied that she doesn’t have that either. I asked how I could get ahold of her again she said I can’t. She then said she “sent the cancellation to the company where the contract comes from”. I explained that she was very vague and argumentative and asked when I would be contacted by Open Business Directory and her exact answer was “they do not make any outgoing calls”. I am in disbelief at how much of a scam this is and I am concerned about what will happen next. Unfortunately this incident occurred at work and now I am in a very uncomfortable position as far as my job is concerned. I hope this can be resolved quickly so that I am still in good standing with my corporation.
 1st of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
This is a total scam company. I was taken in by the "Free with your listing" at the top of the fax I received. I filled out the info they requested and received a bill for $1188.00. I called immediately and said that I did not order any thing that had a cost with their company. I have gotten several threatening letters. I Sent a letter stating that I would not pay their invoices that this is not a legal contract. I received no response . I have had trouble contacting anyone by phone. The company is from Dubai with an office in Boston I am not even sure if this is a legal.
 30th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
In regards to a solution: I have taken the advice I have received from the Florida Department of Agriculture and so many other organizations that I reached out to which is; DO NOT send any money, RECORD everything and keep a file of any and all contact. That is what I have done and luckily I still have my job. Our CEO took this issue very seriously, I was placed on probation and a large amount of the authority I had at work was taken from me. Unfortunately there is not another solution to this issue. This company will continue to open and close virtual offices all over the world as they scam one business after another.
 17th of Dec, 2013 by    0 Votes
I received a fax in October from Yellow-page-usa.com and saw the free page on facebook offer. I circled it and fill out the informaion and faxed it back signed on Oct 15, 20113. I had just been to a seminar that suggested that we use facebook to promote our business. The fine print at the bottom of the fax was hardly readable but it looked liked the cost was $.00 per month. On Nov 11 I received a bill for $1188. and just ignored it as I had made no such agreement. Then I received an overdue reminder in early December. I called the Boston office and was told that they only respond by e mail and that I might be able to come to terms with them. I sent three emails and have had no response. I did receive a fax showing my signature on the contract with the free facebook offer circled. With it was a second page which very legible stated the terms of the contract. I had apparantly agreed to pay for $1188 for two years and the full amount is due at the beginning of each year. In addition if I do not want to renew this contract I must cancel by registered letter at least three months prior to the renewal date or else the contract will be extended a further year. At this point I am sending them nothing. I have made a complaint with the MO Attorney General's office yesterday and will wait to hear from them. They are very sly The leagal head office is in Dubai.
 2nd of May, 2014 by    +2 Votes
I cant believe that these people havent been stopped or noone can do anything about this, The yellow pages is a free listing, Can we get together to get one of the TV networks to do a special and get enough people to stop sending money, The problem is that most honest people get a bill and they pay it most of the time when they have several properties they just pay and dont look into it, Just like my boss lady did. lets get together and try to stop these scammers
 21st of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
I just got scammed by this company as well and I feel like a total idiot. It is the same story as many of you have posted. We are not sending any money, however are concerned if this company has been able to affect credit or sue in regards to the "signed contract" Any outcomes or good action pland in your similar situation that you can share?
 1st of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
Our company received an invoice for, you guessed it, $1, 188.00. We have never filled out any advertisement agreement or listing agreement, as we are a subcontractor and therefor bid on the projects we work on. There is no reason for us to advertise. If you required a sure sign that this is a scam, this should be it.
 9th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
This company needs to be reported to authorities as fraud. I have received numerous bills from them and a copy of a bogus contract dated 2012. The company they refer to closed in 2008 and the company that took over closed the brick and mortar store in 2011. It is ridiculous! every bill they fax has a different amount and threats of litigation. I actually spoke to someone at the number in the US that said for me to save my breath and tell the collection agency. This is clearly harrassment.
 10th of Jul, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I JUST GOT ANOTHER bill from them and when I called I talked to a woman from sounded like maybe London or something and they seem to think that I am going to send money and she said that I was a typical American that wont pay their bills and she had a excuse for everything but the truth, I wish we as americans could get this scam group to America so we could let them know about scamming people here, How can we get more attention to these poor examples of life???
 18th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
I have a folder full of invoices and letters from Yellow-PAGE-USA.COM starting from 2011 through today! In talking with BBB, they use the icon of the Real Yellow Pages, but the logo for "let the fingers do the walking" has the fingers going backwards. This is false advertisement. BBB told me not to correspond with them again. That's why I have a folder of letters - at their cost! Thank goodness I never sent them a dime before I discovered they were a scam. So this has only cost them to have a signed faxed agreement by me which they cannot collect or enforce. The terms of the agreement was for only 2 years but 4 years later they still send invoices like I'm going to pay. The 2011 fax stated they would create a facebook page for our company, too. Of course, the only thing they did has put our company contact information from the 2011 fax on their database http://www.yellow-page-usa.com/ I really hope all the businesses on their website didn't pay for such non-sense! Just find humor in the threats of litigation and the costs of all the postage from overseas! Recommend blocking their number to avoid future faxes. Too bad they don't receive faxes. I'd fax back all the letters/invoices I've received from them the last four years.
 2nd of Oct, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Ditto, to all the above comments.
Does anyone have any legal advice on this? I've read a lot of comments and laymen opinions but what do the lawyers say about this or what does the law say regarding this company? Do the signed faxes constitute an actual contract. Does this company actually have a case or is this in fact 100% a scam?
 20th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
Started in 2011 for 1188.00 plus a 25.00 reminder charge. Years of letters and faxes asking for proof from them and no response. Formal letter today, the bill is $ 4752.00 outstanding yet they will settle for $ 297.00 if I pay now.
Again my response send me proof.
I can't believe this scam has not been shut down yet. Again
 7th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
My story is similar to all of them. Our office assistant checked Remove From Fax List and signed it. Now they are threatening us with a collection agency. How in the world does the proper US government agency not shut this scam down? I have kept all documentation and have two of their recorded calls on my phone. We haven't sought legal advice yet. It sounds like most people just file their letters away and hope they will go away.
 16th of Oct, 2016 by    0 Votes
In 2012, I started receiving phone calls from a company identifying itself as Yellow Pages-USA. They said that they were calling to update the company’s information for the yellow pages. I verified the information then I started receiving faxed bills for $1188 from a company called Open Business Directory (which also uses the alias Yellow Pages USA). They call small businesses asking them to update or verify the information for their online Yellow Pages listing. They are masquerading as the local yellow pages. If you verify your information, you will receive a fax demanding a payment of $1188 and stating that you entered a legal contract with them. They will also threaten you with legal action. In my case, information that Open Business Directory claims to have listed online does not contain the correct address of my business. This proves that this information was not provided by me or anyone at my company. Yet I have been receiving faxed invoices for $1238 (they added a $50 late fee) and have been sending a bill for 4 years now with a threat of legal action. I have called them and informed them that I have not made any contract for any services from them. They refuse to provide any documentation to support their false claim that I agreed to this service, and I have refused to pay them anything. I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau and they provided some long rambling response that said nothing, and the phony invoices continued. I contacted the Federal Trade Commission today and filed a report with them. The FTC officer said that they are aware of this company and its fraudulent practices. I have never seen any online listing from this company. Also, the fraudulent invoices that this company faxes to me include a telephone number and a fax number. Open Business Directory which claims to be an online listing service does not even have a website. The letter that the company faxes demanding payment lists a telephone number and a fax number, but it does not even list a website for the company. How can a company that does not even have its own website sell online business listings? It is a completely fraudulent.company.
 17th of Oct, 2016 by    0 Votes
I completely concur with the above comments.. We've been dealing with this "headache" for almost two years. I haven't heard from them in a few months, but I'm sure they will surface again. I NEVER respond. I recommend just keeping their faxes and that's it. They have called twice and left voice mail messages which I have saved. But I never respond to them. I think that is the best way. I also agree that it is unbelievable that they have not been shut down one way or another. What good does it do to file complaints with different government agencies if they are allowed to continue bilking unknowing businesses out of money.

Contact Us