logo

Did not order
4. (17 mins ago)
Sceptre Tv
5. (44 mins ago)
Igor Kasbar took all my money
Igor Kasbar stole my money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Neon Cat - Marian Gooding, Fort Worth, Texas Complaints & Reviews - Sold Kitten With Ringworm & Yeast

Neon Cat - Marian Gooding Contacts & Informations

Neon Cat - Marian Gooding

Posted: 2012-02-25 by    Valerie Ackley

Sold Kitten With Ringworm & Yeast

Marian Gooding is the owner of Neon-Cat. She regularly posts on www.planetdevon.com, which is where we found her listing when we were in search of a devon rex kitten. She had a new litter and sent us pictures. We put a deposit down on a little female kitten. We were in constant contact with Marian. She obviously loves her cats, and sent us many pictures, updates, etc. We talked on the phone numerous times. We finally picked our little girl up at 3 months old. In the next few days we realized something wasn't right with our new baby. She had a black crusty buildup around her eyes, nose, and in her ears. She had black spots on the bridge of her nose and under her chin. She also had bumps and scabs on her neck and down her back. We contacted Marian, who told us the bumps and scabs were from playing with other kittens and getting scratched. She told us the black buildup was yeast and that all of the kittens she still had at her house were now fine and that she had put neosporin on it. We weren't happy with those explanations and took our baby to a cat specialist. It turns out our new kitty was loaded with ringworm and had a ear infection, and yeast in between her paw pads, around her eyes, and her nose. Upon informing Marian of this, we have not been contacted back since. We have emailed, called, and even the vet called her and left a message. Our little Ariel is doing much better and in her third week of treatment.. but it is unfortunate for us (and our kitty!) that we had to go through this. I know things happen, but the fact that she has not answered us since then says she knew something was up. She loves her cats, and Ariel is the sweetest most beautiful little kitty you will find anywhere.. but use caution if buying from this cattery, and absolutely check for ringworm ASAP!! Come to find out we are not the first to get a kitten from her with that problem.
Comments United States Cat Breeders
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Sep, 2012 by   Risa Lundquist 0 Votes
I bought two cats from Marian in Augut. One was sneezing on the way home. It got very sick with upper respiratory. Vet swabbed and called a week later and said it tested positive for Feline Herpes and that I was going to have to treat it for the rest of its life for this condition. THe second will most probably get it as it is extrememly contagious to other cats. The same cat was covered with small bumps when I picked it up. I thought it was from playing with other cats, but I have now come down with strange lesions everywhere the cats slept on me. I went to the Dr, but he couldn't tell me what they were. Now I have to go to a dermatologist and take the cats back to the vet to determine exactly what the bumps are. I too, called Marian and she denied having any sick cats and insisted the cats were fine when she had them. THe vet told me the cats were sick when I got them. I also asked Marian for a refund and she told me she could not do that. Please beware of this cattery. This was a very expensive lesson for me and I am not sure my cats will not have to be put to sleep because of all the illnesses they have and disease from this cattery.
 9th of Oct, 2012 by   katiestauffer +1 Votes
We have most recently had an experience with two very lovey female kittens from Marian. On the way home from Texas (drove from Midwest) we noticed that both cats were covered in fleas which Mairian said they got from her barn cats. Days later we noticed that both girls were having breathing problems and had patchy pieces on their backs. Taking them both to the vet we discovered that both kittens have ringworm and have major respitory issues. One of the girls can barley breath through her nose and the other still has bald patches from ringworm. These kittens have been sick since June and it is now October and there is no end in sight. They undergo constant trips to the vet, are on antibiotics for many illnesses and are still sick. They have clogged tear ducks, conjunctivitis, black goop in their ears, and at any given time sneeze with such force that brown mucus is expelled in volumes from their little noses.
I have had cats on and off during my many years but I have never had cats as sick as this or with as many issues as these two have. They are so loving and sweet but have such poor quality of life, they have never been well. They are now on medicated food so their little bodies can get some protein and have yet to achieve any major weight gain as they get older, hence they do not grow.
It is absolutley tragic that this is happening, this woman continually has new kittens for sale with no regard of the illnesses she is spreading or the heartache that is allowing to happen, she NEEDS to be STOPPED!!!
 26th of Oct, 2012 by   Devon Rex Lover +1 Votes
I also got a kitten from Marian Gooding. I took the kitten to the vet and it was diagnosed with ringworm. Please take your kitten to the vet immediately if you buy from this cattery.
 26th of Jan, 2013 by   DCS0722 +1 Votes
My daughter received a kitten as a present and MARION GOODING of NEON-Cat Devon Rex was the breeder. Long story short, I had to take our 7 month old kitten to the vet to be put to sleep while my three kids were at school. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MARION GOODING...not only is she dishonest, she is one of the least decent human beings I have ever dealt with. When I raised this issue of her selling a sick cat, her response was to accuse us of killing this sweet kitten. BEFORE YOU PURCHASE A KITTEN FROM HER, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...email me at craig_schanie@hotmail.com and I will be happy to share pics, emails from Marion, and emails from the Better Business Bureau of Forth Worth, Texas. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS WOMAN.
 26th of Jan, 2013 by   DCS0722 +1 Votes
DO NOT BUY A CAT FROM MARION GOODING of NEON-CAT CATTERY!!! Email me at craig_schanie@hotmail.com and I will be happy to share my terrible experience with you.
 13th of Feb, 2013 by   Majape 0 Votes
I'll start by saying I'm very happy we found these reviews online when we did. We originally visited Marion in September 2012 to look at her kittens, she had several available at that time. After visiting we decided we very much liked a boy she had in her litter named Jack. A few days later we put down the $250 deposit for the kitten, happy with our choice. Shortly after we put down the deposit we came across this site and started reading what others had posted. We became concerned. At that same time, Marion had contacted us to let us know that the kitten we'd put the deposit on was a female, not a male after all. Given these comments we decided that we needed to go back and take a closer look at the kittens, their environment, and to make a decision on how to move forward. We went back to decide if we wanted to continue forward with Marion, or to find our kitten elsewhere. Upon our arrival we started to look past the cuteness of the kittens to the actual environment they were in. Overall there were an estimated 15 cats confined to a room off the living room, in addition to the kittens we were looking at, she had two additional litters in that room as well. With kittens and cats I would guess that 25 cats were in the home. As we closely inspected the kittens (taking lots of photos) we noticed most of them had fleas, but otherwise looked fine. We decided that fleas were something we could easily clear up, and that although the living conditions were not great we would provide better conditions and that our kitten would soon thrive. We told Marion we were ok moving forward on the newly female kitten (renamed Jacki). A few days later I found myself in the doctors office with red splotches all over my arm, I'd contracted Ringworm. Although TECHNICALLY you can contract ringworm from any source, I strongly believe that it came from handling these kittens. At this time I emailed Marion and told her we were not okay with moving forward, using the sex of the kitten as my reason in hopes to get our deposit back. After not hearing from her for about a week, she called us to let us know the kitten was ready to bring home, Awkward for us, having to explain it again at that point, and she stated she never got the email. At that time, she agreed refund our deposit to us once she sold the kitten to another home, finally last week I reported her to the BBB, and received our refund in the mail this week, along with a very rude response to the BBB. Overall we did not get a kitten from Marion Gooding, and I feel very lucky that we saw these postings when we did. We have since adopted a female Devon Rex kitten from another breeder. I can not say that you shouldn't' get a kitten from her, because I've not had one of her kittens, but I would caution you that any attempt to talk to Marion in any professional manner may be difficult, particularly if you have any issues or problems with your kitten or transaction.
 25th of Mar, 2013 by   Donna Cat +1 Votes
I received adult cats that were retired from Marian Gooding and the cats were excellent, had zero health problems and I found Marian Gooding a very wonderful person to deal with. Donna, Rockport, Tx
 25th of Mar, 2013 by   Donna Cat -1 Votes
I adopted two retired Devon Cats from Marian Gooding and both were in excellent health. Marian Gooding is a wonderful person to do business with and I highly recommend her. I think some people are making mountains out of mole hills. Donna Cat
 24th of Apr, 2013 by   Mercato -2 Votes
AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!! Please find another breeder to avoid having your cat suffer and possibly die of diseases that were caused by negligence and maltreatment of a "breeder" like Marion. We have adopted a kitten from Neon Cat that was infected with calicivirus, herpes virus and microplasma, upper respiratory infection and coccidia. We took him to the vet because he had what seemed to be a mild respiratory infection. I have multiple vet reports confirming the cat arrived at our house being already infectednce and maltreatment of a "breeder" like Marion
 13th of May, 2013 by   BrokenHeartedCatOwner +1 Votes
I received a female kitten from Marian Gooding 10 years ago, and my cat just passed away this week. As much as I've loved and cared for her, the past 10 years have been a series of nightmares with this cat. Had I seen complaints like this 10 years ago, I would not have taken a kitten from Ms. Gooding. On the other hand, I suppose I'm glad that it worked out the way that it did because I feel like I saved a kitten from this monster.

Because I live out of state, Marian had suggested that I connect with another woman who happened to live near me and was also getting a kitten from the cattery. We made an arrangement where the other buyer would pick both of our kittens up and drive them from TX to CA. All seemed well until the night I picked my kitten up. The other woman told me about the horrid conditions of Marian Gooding's home. She explained in great detail how filthy and smelly everything was and said that cats were stacked in cages everywhere she looked.

A couple days into life with my new kitten, I noticed that her ears were full of gunk and she had black specs all over her tail and face. I'd never seen anything like it before. She also had a severe, jagged scar from being spayed - the surgery was obviously done with haste, and probably at bottom dollar. In fact, this kitten was too young to have been spayed at the time but Ms. Gooding made sure that her cattery's profits came first by ensuring that the kitten would never breed. My poor little kitten was TERRIFIED of people and never fully grew out of her fear. Our vet even suggested that we put her on anti-depressants to ease her constant anxiety. In our 10 years together, I was never able to pick her up without her clawing me to shreds. Our interactions were limited to when she would choose to jump up on my lap.

I contacted Marian with a full report of my complaints and told her that it was unconscionable to sell kittens in this condition. I asked for a refund to cover my unexpected vet costs right off the bat. Her response to me was full of venom and she insisted that I return the kitten to her right away. She reacted as though I was the one who had done something wrong. HA! What kind of person would send an innocent animal back to a breeder like her?! I said as much to her in a following email and she never responded again. She at the very least should have checked in with me at some point to see how the kitten was doing. Nope. Not a word. She got her money and she was done.

Within a couple of years, I was told that my cat had a heart murmur and there was nothing we could do other than keep an eye on her. Additionally, she seemed like she was a VERY clumsy cat (always falling off of chairs, tables, etc.). It turned out that she was having seizures where her body would tense up as though she had cerebral palsy. The vet had no idea why it was happening or what to do about the episodes, so again we were left "keeping an eye on her" and just trying to make sure she was comfortable and safe. On top of all of that, she started losing her teeth before she was even 1 year old and in the end had only a couple left.

Flash forward to the end ... I tucked my cat into her little kitty bed before heading to sleep a few nights ago, and when I woke up the next morning I found her cold and paralyzed from the waist down. Her physical symptoms were almost like her seizures, but this was something different. I rushed her to an emergency vet and after a quick x-ray the doctor literally begged me to put her down. Her heart was doubled in size and was actively failing, her lungs were full of fluid and her legs had developed blood clots. She had seemed perfectly fine 6 hours earlier, and there I was signing her life away. I didn't even have time to say goodbye because she was suffering so acutely. Once the vet learned that she had a heart murmur, she explained that this outcome had been inevitable.

All in all I wouldn't take this experience back for anything because I truly loved my cat, but I do feel the need to warn others against Marian Gooding's compromised breeding practices. She's in it for the profits and puts dollars over the good of the animals. She's about as unethical as they come. I would love nothing more than to see her cattery shut down and her remaining cats rescued.
 13th of Jun, 2013 by   DCS0722 +1 Votes
DO NOT BUY A CAT FROM MARION GOODING...NEON CAT...please contact me and I will be happy to share with you my experience, vet records, pictures, videos, etc. See my post above...
 13th of Jun, 2013 by   DCS0722 +1 Votes
BrokenHearted...she did the same thing to us. I have saved all of the horrible emails I received from Marion Gooding...I am happy to share.
 13th of Jun, 2013 by   DCS0722 +1 Votes
DonnaCat...it is no coincidence that we have all had these horrible experiences with Marion Gooding of Neon Cat Cattery. I would be happy to share the terrible emails I received from this woman. Her business and personal ethics are highly questionable. These cats are not important to her...selling kittens at all costs are her priority. She sent us a sick cat, then literally accused me, my wife and my 3 kids of killing this kitten. My family has owned 9 Devons...we love the breed and are not new to it.
 3rd of Jul, 2013 by   Linda Luedtke 0 Votes
I don't know why I came back on this website. Probably with some hope that there wouldn't be any new postings. We have already lost one of the 2 kittens bought from this evil woman. I have called the ASPCA and Texas Humane Society. They will only shut her down if they can prove mistreatment or neglect. We have one little girl left and now she is sick. She is a year old. We have all had ringworm from the kittens. They had yeast infections. Their immune systems are weak. Our existing girl kitty weighs only 5 pounds. She is so sweet and loving, but is not a normal cat. I have had cats all my life and have never experienced anything like this. We have had 3 vets at our animal hospital take care of these kittens and have been told they were compromised. I sure hope this one makes it.
 15th of Aug, 2013 by   Anonymous11111111 +1 Votes
We adopted two Devon Rex adults from Marian in late 2000. We drove from Lubbock to Ft. Worth to pick up the cats, and when we arrived, we were shocked at the conditions in which the cats were being kept. Both of the cats we had agreed to adopt had obvious medical issues when we saw them, but we decided to bring them home with us anyway. We took them to the vet as soon as we got home; they both had yeast issues on their skin, around their eyes, etc..., ringworm, and slight behavioral problems. Our vet was incensed at the conditions of both cats and contacted local authorities, but to no avail. Both of the cats were absolute sweethearts and gradually adjusted to living in a normal environment, but they never quite got over their behavioral issues and skittishness. Within 18 months, both cats had passed away from undetermined causes. In dealing with Marian throughout the initial ordeal (she eventually stopped returning our phone calls and complained about US on some message boards), it became obvious that she is a "Cat Hoarder." She does care for her cats, but is blind to the fact that she is not properly caring for them. Now, in 2013, we are entertaining the idea of getting another cat, and were disappointed to see that Marian is still at it. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH NEON CAT AND SUPPORT THE NEGLECT THAT MARIAN PERPETRATES ON HER CATS.
 1st of Oct, 2013 by   lmh1981 +1 Votes
I got a kitten from Neon cat last year and I wish I had seen these posts. After seeing the conditions of her house I immediately took my kitten to the vet and she was diagnosed with ringworm, even though Marian tried to tell me that the kittens did not have ringworm. A couple of months later my poor baby wasn't gaining weight and was very lethargic. Let me add that my cat has not been around other cats since I got her. My vet did some blood work and she has been diagnosed with feline coronovirus. Right now we are on antibiotics and my vet is getting some other testing done to help rule out FIP. We are hoping for the best at this time.
 14th of Oct, 2013 by   Judy Manning +1 Votes
I wish I had seen this website! I have a lovely Devon I bought from Marian in 2009. She had a watery eye which no vet has been able to confirm if it is Herpes or a blocked tear duct. I didn't think of it as too big of a deal since I had a cat with Herpes who died several years ago (not of Herpes, but CRF). But for a year she has had an itchiness around her head & neck and has lost all of her fur on her neck. After spending almost $400 at my vet, I took her to a dermatologist today ($$$$$). Not sure if she has a food but probably has a Devon Rex condition called hypotrichosis and will probably go completely bald! Marian told me that she had feline acne which is not a big deal but the shampoo she recommended didn't help and feline acne would not cause baldness. I bought another cat from Marian which I guess was stupid but she sells so many cats that it is difficult to believe that people would keep buying from her if the cats had health problems. Some of her clients have bought 2 or 3 cats.
 15th of Oct, 2013 by   june_m 0 Votes
I bought 2 cats from Marian. One in 2001 was fine, but the runt of the litter I bought a few years later came to me sick with ringworm, a terrible respiratory infection and she wouldn't eat for days. I spent over $500 in vet bills within the first week on my second baby, thankfully she recovered. When I called Marian crying about the situation and worried about the finances, she was very rude and began to try to accuse me of making the cat ill with negligence, which was basically by the contract she had me sign, a threat to repossess my cat and stick me with all the medical bills and bills for flying the cat back to Texas. So I quickly realized it may be dangerous to push her, or ever deal with her again. Do not buy from Marian.
 15th of Oct, 2013 by   june_m +1 Votes
Additionally, besides telling your story here, please file an official complaint with the BBB. ( http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/business-reviews/pet-grooming/neon-cat-in-fort-worth-tx-235968030 ) This may be a more effective way to communicate to Marian that her costumers will not tolerate her questionable practices.
 15th of Oct, 2013 by   june_m +1 Votes
And omg, this complaint made to the BBB is unbearable for me to read... it makes Marian sound very bad, in my opinion:

Things You Buy You Should Get Free