logo

PO Box 3000
Merrifield, Virginia
Phone: 800-336-3333
navyfcu.org
I am not sure how to start this complaint letter with Navy Federal Credit Union. The reason is there are so many issues, lies, and crappy customer service. I will give a brief run down on what has been going on.

Mortgage:

I applied and received a request to have my mortgages modified so that I can make the payments. The first mortgage I worked with NFCU (after several attempts) to make it so that one of my payments would be spread over 6 months. I was told at that time nothing would be reported to the credit agencies as long as I kept current on all the modified payments for six months. I did keep current on the payments, and then at about month 4 I discovered that I was being reported to the credit agency for late pays on my mortgage (keep in mind I was told that would not happen). I also discovered that my credit card had been deactivated. I called the credit card folks on that and was told anytime loan goes into late pay the credit cards will be deactivated. After that I called the mortgage folks and asked them about it. I was told that is only temporary and as soon as I make my last modified payment (March) the credit card will be reactivated. With that I called the credit card folks back and asked about that. I was told that was not true I would need to re-apply to re-open the credit card. I then explained the situation with the modified mortgage and was I was told. I was then told this credit card situation was per the CEO.

Credit Card:

This is where the fun starts. Basically the credit card portion of NFCU is making a train wreck out of everything. For the last two months they have taken money out of my savings account without authorization. By doing this there has been serious issues with me making the payments to my mortgage and auto loan. I called the credit card folks to work stuff out and basically I got was to bad “we can do that.” I have no problem paying my accounts, and I did pay the accounts. Never, in the past when I was a few days late has money been automatically taken from my account. Now, a few days late and wham, the money is taken out. I understand it is in the rules, however what happened to customer service and working with the customer. I would like to complement the individuals that call me to try and work out something; they are very nice and helpful. The issue is after I explain to them the situation, they realize they do not have the authority to help and have me speak to a supervisor. This is when everything just stops. Truth be told I my wife and I have six kids and at times live on the credit card.

It is not right when someone tries to be responsible and make arrangements to keep everything current to be penalized as I have been. I work with people that have simply walked away from their homes and told the banks “have fun.” They do not have half the issues I am having. I have talked and talked till I am blue in the face with people (managers) with NFCU, and nothing is getting done. I really do not think it is right for the credit card portion to do what they are doing causing my mortgage to be later and later. Now my payment to my car is becoming late as well.

Another issue that happened was that NFCU took $117.00 out of my saving earlier this week. When I discovered that I called to see about getting part of that put back into my savings account. The reason is I wrote a check for $100.00, because there was $117.00 in my account and I did not want to bounce a check. I called a few times and did not speak to anyone because of long wait times. I was then called to make payment arrangements for the remaining balance. Again, the person that called me did not have the authorization to put $100.00 back into my account. He gave me to his supervisor, Joel Cooper, to see what he could do. Joel basically told me to bad any available funds will be taken out. I explained that by doing that it is going to cause me to bounce a check be charged and be charged ISF fees. I told him I can pay it on the following Friday because I get paid (022709). He told me he was not going to put the $100.00 back into the account. I explained what would NFCU do if I said screw it and filed for bankruptcy and had NFCU eat the $19, 0000.00 instead of working with me. He stated threaten with bankruptcy is going to do no good. I then asked to speak to his supervisor; he told me “No, she is in a meeting.” I then asked to speak to her supervisor; he said “No, he is in the same meeting.” I then requested to speak to his supervisor, he said “Sir we have a chain of command to follow.” First off I am not in the military anymore and we are civilians, we don’t have a chain of command. Second, I could tell when I talked to Joel he really didn’t care to help; he just wanted to collect the rest of the money. Again, the employees that I initially talk to are great, it’s when I am transferred to the manager that everything stops and the attitude comes out. The female (I wish I got her name but didn’t) I talked to today 022609 was great, she transferred me to a supervisor who had the same line all the other managers have. I am not trying to get out of paying my debt (like the majority of people); I just want some help.

There is just the overall of what happened.

Thanks

Tom Tardy

2808 E. Laurel Ln

Phoenix, Az 85028

602-319-7322
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Apr, 2009 by   Pedro77 -1 Votes
Call them and request information on Peronal Finance Management. NFCU will help...but if you are behind on loans/ credit cards they will collect the funds themselves. They figure "you spend the money...you will pay it back to us". Which I can see their point because they are lending you money...many millions of their customers...but if a certain amount doesn't pay them back then they lose money. NFCU is just protecting themselves...they don't want to end up like Washington Mutual did.
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   kozaru +1 Votes
Tom:

RUN, don't walk, away from Navy Federal.

First: Have all of your direct deposit moved to a different banking institution and pull your savings out of there as well. That way YOU make the decisions as to when the money comes out and from where.

Second: Read all of the stories on here and on websites such as www.navyfederalsucks.com and see that you aren't the only one with problems with the credit union that you are a MEMBER of. Look at some of the responses given to folks right here on this board from supposed employees of NFCU and ask yourself if you want to continue doing business with an organization that treats folks with a level of contempt unacceptable at ANY banking institution, member owned or otherwise.

Third: Good luck with everything! Times are tough and we need to look out for one another. Something Navy Fed seems to have forgotten.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   MSgt Jordan +1 Votes
Under Admiral Lawson they suck. They don;t serve the Vet they serve themselves. They have forgotten their mission. As you can see the Admiral is well fed and rich so screw retirees or young couples. I have been with them around three decades. Never have they been so unprofessional and deceptive. JUDAS ESCARIOT now runs NFCU. I will leave when my card is paid of. Mt credit rating was 842 with everyone except NFCU. They invented 802 based on 2 outstnding cards which have never been used is what it appears. MY total assets are roughly 140k to 42k Debt . I wanted 15-20k to help streamline my debt payment. They no longer want shipmates they want suckers. Hell my equity ration is better than theirs.
If any enlisted are on the Board of Directors there is a special place in hell for them. I can live without the money. Disloyalty is unforgivable. Curtis reminds me of John Poindexter. Hell just throw a Marine under the bus as long as you look good. These guys are just as crooked as all the other pigs on Wall Street. The enlisted swine are expendible. bj@jordanconsultants.us

Brian F. Jordan MSgt of Marines ret.
CEO Jordan Consultants.US