logo

Bad Sevice Bad Qualty

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

My Town Media/Second Meta, Austin, Texas Complaints & Reviews - Paychecks not cashing

My Town Media/Second Meta Contacts & Informations

3108 N. Lamar Blvd.
Austin, Texas
Phone: 512-651-3935
mytownmedia.com
I have been working for a company that was called Second Meta when they hired me, but changed their name to My Town Media between the date they hired me until the date that I started. I had heard a few rumors about how some of the employee's paychecks would bounce, but I shrugged it off as nothing, believing these employees wouldn't still be working here if they weren't getting paid. I inquired on a few occasions and was told that there were problems in the past but that the company rectified any problems immediately and that everything was fine now. Well, I just picked up my first paycheck on a Friday. I went to cash it and no one would cash it due to insufficient funds in the account the check was drawn off of. I was advised to wait until Monday to cash it, there would definitely be available funds by then. NOPE. Still not there. So I was told today that there may never be money in that account, that these people pay their employees with hot checks on an account that will never have money in it, this happens every pay period. The employees take their checks to any place that will cash them without verifying the funds, which is why they still work there. They get paid in an illegitimate manner. There has to be a way to stop this and to get the compensation that we earned working for this ridiculous excuse of a business.

Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Apr, 2010 by   C.Mrowka 0 Votes
i too worked there and now have 2 paychecks the 19th of march and the 2nd of april that ahave now bounced and they say "oh well we can cut you another check to fix the issue" so what i want a check to fix an issue? YOUR CHECKS BOUNCE, cant wait to get that last one on the 16 looking forward to it. if anyone has worked there and has had the same issue email me im thinking of a class action suit cause they were not paying us for training for so long. Only_sb@yahoo.com
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   Coty 0 Votes
They did it to me too. We should do something about this. coty.ross@gmail.com
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   Coty 0 Votes
I think maybe we should contact the local news.
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   DDefond 0 Votes
I am having the same issue i just recently just quite this job as a result of this, but now it funny they are giving us new checks with a 10 percent on top of that isn't that crazy, im wondering why they are giving us a random check, is it to keep us quiet?
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   infowarrior4truth 0 Votes
ok I'm in the same boat. what a joke of a job. so what do we do now. they owe me $500. anybody have a number or something to call?
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   WellOkay 0 Votes
I have an interview with this company and these comments have really opened my eyes to what I would have been getting into. Thanks.
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   polly158 0 Votes
Good thing I didn’t start training this week!!

There are several things you need to look into/do:
1. File a wage claim with Texas workforce
2. You all need to take our "hot checks" to the local District Attorney an open a case. Many DA’s are prosecuting companies for hot checks these days.
3. You need band together and start a class action lawsuit against the owner.

The more people we get involved the easier it will be for them to prosecute since the dollar amount of fraudulent checks involved will go up. At some point the dollar amount has to push it from a misdemeanor to a felony.
 14th of Apr, 2010 by   fingerpickinmotherplucker 0 Votes
I worked there for a year. I got sick of my bouncing checks and the rediculous excuses they gave me why my checks were always short and bouncing. Finaly I quit and filed for unemployment. If you have proof that your checks were bouncing they will grant you unemployment and charge Secondmeta for every cent unemployment gives you. I get 259 a week on unemployment which is about the same as my full time checks were.
That unemployment money that is paid to me is paid directly to Texas Workforce by second meta. Want to get em back? Quit and file for unemployment stating your checks are bouncing. Its a direct hit on their pocket book and you will get a check that you can cash at a bank! MJ
 15th of Apr, 2010 by   ddcooks 0 Votes
I took back a check that no one would take about two days ago and they gave me a new check from a different bank. I went to that new bank and they told me that the account has a restraint on it and they will not be able to cash any checks, even upcoming ones. I am filing a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission.
 17th of Apr, 2010 by   IVEJUSTBEENBUTTFUCKED 0 Votes
Yeah what a shit hole. Now they're closed "for just 2 weeks", what a bunch of cocks. I just spent all day driving around to every little hole in the wall check cashing place that I thought might be dumb enough to take 'em and apparently everyone got the memo. Now I'm sitting here with my thumb up my ass, negative in my bank account from the last check that bounced, with 2 of these goddamn monopoly money playschool checks. I'm calling Tx workforce ass soon as I'm done writing this. I'm crazy down with starting a class action against these hard-ons, I'm gonna get something from those pricks.

Here's my email; nic.dugg@gmail.com
 17th of Apr, 2010 by   unhappyinapril 0 Votes
same thing here...

I have 2 checks that won't cash and they owe me another check for another 2 weeks that they say they will give me the Friday after next.

we need to file a class action lawsuit. Christian Hunter is the owner and he has plenty of cash. The guy is flying Mig jets in Russia for fun while he refuses to pay his employees.

anybody have Priya's phone number? we need to get as many people together as possible because my hunch is that the owner and the rest of management just hope this all goes away...

atxpl@hotmail.com
 17th of Apr, 2010 by   unhappyinapril 0 Votes
the more people we get together the more likely the owner will be facing felony hot check charges.

you guys might want to contact the Texas attorney general's office, they have a hot check division.

we may need to file a class action lawsuit.
 18th of Apr, 2010 by   lawrence19 0 Votes
I also worked there!!! If anyone wants to file a lawsuit heres my email lawrencevaughan19@yahoo.com I dont have Priyas phone # but she is a friend on my facebook we have talked and she is looking into the lawsuit! As well as I!!!
 18th of Apr, 2010 by   unhappyinapril 0 Votes
what did My Town Media tell you guys as far as funds being available? On Tuesday? also when did they say they were going to issue the last checks? they still owe for almost another 2 full weeks...

Zia said he would be at the office on Tuesday or Wednesday around noon with the CFO. not sure what to believe at this point.
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   aw114 0 Votes
Yeah that note that they left on the door was pretty shady much like the rest of the place. Didn't really say what would happen tomorrow. My checks weren't for much because I was part time but I could still really use that money!!
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   aw114 0 Votes
Please watch this video as we see Christian Hunter the owner of My Town give us a little glimpse into his life and his mansion on the lake. Also you get to here his very feminine sounding voice. Enjoy.

21st of Apr, 2010 by   angrydread 0 Votes
I had a long talk with the Travis County Attorney General today. The first step is to send a deman letter to the company and give them 10 days to pay you in full. Once the 10 days has passed and they have not made good on the demand, the AG will step in. I also let them know more about the other companies that Christian Hunter has, the FTC lawsuit a few years back, the health insurance lies, and how the company was a complete scam. I truly think that if we all stay in communication and band together we will see what we are owed. It won't be a quick fix, but in the end all I care about is seeing Christian Hunter spend time in jail. So get your demand letters in, I am going to get mine notorized so it has an official date and time. Another way around this would be to send it certified mail, or have it stamped at the post office. I hope everyone is having luck finding new jobs.

Don't take it in the a**, take action
I will be starting a Facebook group tomorrow so we can stay in touch and communicate. Be on the lookout for it.

Check this out Austin Business Jornal Article: http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2010/04/19/daily25.html

I am going to look into the case that is already going on and try and contact the lawyer representing the former employees.
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   unhappyinapril 0 Votes
Please let me (us) know about the lawsuit so that we can join. Also if you are setting up a facebook page, please let us know about that as well.

They told us to call (512) 651-3935 and they would post updates to that phone mailbox and we could leave messages. I just called that number and it has been disconnected. They said something about posting information on shiftboard but I don't see anything there either. Sandra was recorded saying all these things so what now?

atxpl@hotmail.com
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   ZombieGuru 0 Votes
fingerpickinmotherplucker, I like your thinking.
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   Gregg D Kotch 0 Votes
I feel bad for all of you that have been misled. I had different business dealings wth Mr Christian Hunter which also turned out to end up with a client of mine geting the short end of the stick. For anyone interested I have another # for Mr hunter . Feel free to contact me by phone a 561-953-4542 or by e mail gkotch@wbw-wwc.com. I am in my office between 9 and 5 eastern standard time

A Liars Club