Cancellation of Service

I signed a 3 year contract for Monitronics service through Secutiry One Alarm company on 7 July 2007. The system has worked sporadically over the years. I even discovered during a service call that was made in 2009 that my system was not being monitored because I had switched to a digital phone service with Comcast which was incompatible with the system. None-the-less, I continued to pay for service. I called Monitronics on 30 March 2011 to cancel my service. Per my phone call to the Monitronics customer service representative at 1:20PM on 30 March 2011, I cannot cancel over the phone, but must do so in writing AFTER they send my new password in the mail, and then only after 30 more days of service. I want my service canceled, and canceled now. I did not change my passcode and I am not waiting to incur yet even more charges for a service that is not working and that I do not want. If it changed subsequent to this, it did not do so with my knowledge or approval. The original reason for my request to cancel is that I have not used the system for over a year as it had been deactivated during remodeling and it never worked properly before or since. However, after speaking with the Monitronics customer service representative and going through all the hassles of getting my service disconnected, I am now canceling for poor customer service and despicable business practices. I have contacted Monitronics, the Better Business Bureau, and my local state Representative to let them know of Monitronics questionable and predatory business practices that prevents one from discontinuing service in an expedient manner without incurring additional costs. I surely will never even consider Monitronics service again nor will I ever recommend its service to anyone else. Monitronics should be embarrassed and ashamed of the way they treat its customers - or should I say its former customer. I have complied with all the requirements the customer service representative said I needed to do in order to cancel my account. I expect immediate cancellation and immediate confirmation from Monitronics of the same. This is clearly an abuse of policy in order to continue billing for a service that should be discontinued as easily as it is to set up. Tell everyone you know: DO NOT USE MONITRONICS FOR ANY REASON - EVER!! I notice that the Complaints Board and other forums are full of complaints about Monitronics poor service and predatory business practices so buyer beware!!!
Complaint comments Comments (8) Complaint country United States Complaint category Security Services

18th of Aug, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I've attempted to cancel services due to the sale of my home and this company has indicated it must be in writing and that once they recieve it they will cancel services. They continue to develop new reasons as to why I can't cancel and they can't provide me with anyone that will tell me the same story. I continue to receive a monthly bill and I'm concerned this will go on my credit report if not paid. What advice other than beware this company, it is a complete ripoff and no company should want this sort of negative pr. I will spread this as long as it takes to get rid of companies such as these that prey on the public.
 21st of Oct, 2009 by    +2 Votes
Whoever it is that is in love with or employed by Monitronics and keeps making stupid comments about people whining and go pay your bills, etc. reflects the attitude of the entire company. This is basically how they treat and speak to customers. Are they hurting fo money so badly that they will not let people cancel and even those on month to month contracts(after being loyal customers for years). This whole company operates on fraud and deception. What a way to make a buck! Most everyone I have heard complain here are people who have decided to cancel for legitimate reasons and have already been with this company for a long time. Extortion, deliberately ruining credit and falsely charging for sevice not rendered is a demonstration of very poor business practice and should have been investigated and dealt with a long time ago by D.A. offices or the powers which regulate practice such as this. SHAME ON MONITRONICS! I am in the same boat as the rest of you. Fortunately I am filing bankruptcy and happily adding this company to those un secured creditors who will get nothing!
 28th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
All alarm companies require that a cancellation be put in writing. Old school I know, but its not like shutting off cable. In the past when the process was much more informal it was easier to cancel. But now in this litigious society we live in its changed. If anyone were able to call in say they were you and cancel and deactivate you security, that would be a problem. Security companies are paid by you to keep up their guards with your info and service. So if any yahoo can shut off your service with a phone call say when you are on vacation and break in, then you would be very rich from the lawsuit. Alarm companies are trained to look at situations in a wost case scenario light, an plan counter measures around it.

To Richc333
When you had your alarm put in, I am pretty sure it was at a reduced rate. (99$ or "free") But its not unlike buying a cell phone. You get the phone for free by signing a contract. The company makes money on the equipment they fronted on the monthly service. They installed hundreds of dollars of equipment in your home, increasing the value on it. The company still needs to make a profit. All home alarm companies make money this way. (ADT, Broadview(Brinks, Protection One, etc) Otherwise the system would have cost 400+ dollars to install, minimum. But no one want to pay up front these days.
As soon as you pas a statement like this "This whole company operates on fraud and deception." you lose credibility. Make your case not exaggerations.
 18th of Oct, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I have moved out of state and Monitronics refuses to cancel the service. They said to find a friend to turn the service over to. I said I don't know anyone that wants it. They stated that we have a 5 year agreement and are only in over a year at this point. They stated that we would have to pay all of the service up front for the remaining term to cancel. Wow. I don't understand how you can be obligated for 5 years to something. My cell phone doesn't even have a term that long. I did not sign up, my husband did. I cannot understand how a company that wants people to come back, refuses to allow people to cancel. I am in a rental and am not allowed to modify the house in any way. So, now I have to pay for service that I am not using. I don't understand the logic in this company. I do not recommend them to anyone and advise people against signing any agreement with them for any service whatsoever. I do not have a copy of the agreement and per the Supervisor he was not allowed to email me a copy of the agreement. Since when do companies not email? He said he will mail me a copy, but I am not holding my breath. I have seen so many complaints on the internet about this company, I wish I had researched before my husband signed up.
 28th of May, 2014 by    +2 Votes
Worst customer service I have experienced in my life. Customer for 12 years and paid bill on time, called to cancel 4 times due to move and was on hold for average of 22 minutes. Will NEVER use this company or recommend again. Reps say they will have someone right with you. Never answer. Want a retention person to try to talk you out of cancelling. Save them the trouble and do not ever sign up!!!
 22nd of Sep, 2015 by    +2 Votes
I hate this company it is garbage cancellation is so ridiculous who still wants letter in writing via snail mail. I only have two more months out of my 4 years agreement and you still have to write them a letter give me a break. I will not recommend anyone to uses this company they just a big rip off. This company need to be investigated and the BBB need to give them a bad rating!
 24th of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes
Wow!! I'm getting ready to cancel my svc w/Monitronics since I no longer have phone svc, its not being monitored anyway. Reading all of these complaints I'm afraid to call. Thank you all for the warning..
 30th of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes
We're very sorry to hear about your recent experience and we would like to investigate this further to address this matter. Please email us at monisocial@monitronics.com so that we may begin our investigation. We look forward to speaking with you and addressing this matter.
Monitronics Executive Response Department