logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
WMV*WWW.MATCH.COM/BILL
Unauthorized charges made on my debit card
2. (16 mins ago)
Balanced Media Services
They took money from me – no info about this scamming company
3. (28 mins ago)
USPS
RUDE PEOPLE AT USPS
4. (28 mins ago)
Prestigeskate.com
Blocked access to seller’s profile
5. (36 mins ago)
Garcina Cambogia & Digestit (Colon Cleanse')
Unorauthorised Deduction from my Visa Account

Midwest Center For Anxiety

Posted:    Alfred

Fraud and cheating

Midwest Center For Anxiety
Lucinda and David Bassett flood late night infomercial TV with their overpriced Attacking Anxiety and Depression schlock program. They advertise a '30-day risk free trial' for just $9.95, the so called 'shipping/Handling charge' (inflated as any typical infomercial ripoff), the hook being that the S/H charge is all you pay for the 30 day 'trial period'.Then when you aren't magically cured by this collection of cassette tape in 30 days, send it back with no obligation to pay the $75.00 a month that they bill your credit card for the next 6-7 months. Do not believe this CRAP for a minute. They start ripping you off immediately with the inflated shipping charge and then start removing your money 30 days from the ORDER DATE which typically is 10-14 days BEFORE the 30 day trial period STARTS. By the time the '30 day trial' is over they have already taken the first FULL payment of $75.00 (+ tax) by 2 WEEKS, even when you decide you don't want to buy this craprogram. One of Lucy's top-secret cures is to 'Drink 8 glasses of water everyday' and 'quit smoking and drinking' DUH!! Gee for such wisdom it only costs 450 bucks! If these amateur Pyschobees had a grain of credibility would they operate so Don Lapre-like? It will take weeks to get your refund (if ever) A wiser approach would be to work for the bAssett's. Then you can buy the 'program' for $20 and save yourself $425 just 90% off the ripoff price they charge everyone else.
Comments United States Telemarketing
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Midwest Center For Anxiety complaints
Midwest Center For Anxiety - return policy

Comments

15th of Jun, 2009 by   tonychester 0 Votes
Yeah -- someone charged their crap to my credit card back in March 0f 2009. I've been fighting with them ever since. They have now sent me to a collections agency for something I never even ordered. Even after having my bank remove their shipping fee of $16 due to fraud, they still insist I pay them $479.92 for a bunch of stupid VHS tapes, I don't even have a VCR player anymore.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   Jules99 0 Votes
I just ran into the same problem with the ridiculous Midwest Center and Lucinda Bassett's program. One night during a moment of weakness I ordered the program...I wish I had read these posts prior to falling for the "30-day free trial". Not only did they charge me $70-something prior to the 30-day expiration (because apparently the 30 days starts when you order it, which they don't tell you), I was informed by the "supervisor" that had I read my invoice I would know that after the 30 days I agreed to the monthly payments totalling almost $500!!! I informed them I refused to make any future payments and the woman told me it's up to me what I do with my money! Well, apparently not!!! She said it would go into collection so I'm about to report them to my bank as fraudulent and hopefully not only get my money back but block and future charges they try to make.

Awesome to know that there are people out there taking advantage of those of us with anxiety and in return causing heightened stress!! (I'm being facetious of course).

Don't fall for it!!
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   dsfgvdvsvrv 0 Votes
These people are sick. Theyre putting a price on much needed help. My god, Ive thought about killing myself and I got the free vitamins and free trial and couldnt afford to keep the thing. I dont know if there is any way they can feel right about themselves, and i hope they dont sleep at night because there are real people who SUFFER everyday with debilitating anxiety and depression and they are with-holding help. This is sick. If I were in control of this, id give it away for free.
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   Midwest is full of dog shit 0 Votes
These people got this bull junk on my credit report, my brother which is 19 suffer from anxiety and at the time he didn't have a credit or debit card to use so of course they asked, Do anyone have a debit or credit card in your household that you can use for the trial offer, what the fuck!!! it was a debit card i let him use that had a dollar on it and he canceled within 20 days and this bullshit is on my credit report for 485 dollars. It was in his name but he used my green dot prepaid card but they billed me for the shit, I hope they like court on TV because i do and hope you do cause you will be seeing me up there real soon.

Shakeerah Young
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   TNecole 0 Votes
I ordered this program when I was suffering from panic attacks and knew the day that the box arrived that it was not something I could use. For one... they sent me DVDs and I did not have a DVD player. You can't return the product untill you contact the company and get a RA Number, but when you call they use every trick in the book not to give it to you. I told them that I did not have a DVD player and that I absolutely could not afford the program. I was offered an additional 30 days to try it with no financial obligation. Prior to the end of that period I called a second time to get the RA Number and informed the Rep that I still had not even opened the package. Again I was pressured into keeping it for another 30 days with no financial obligation. Unforutunately I missed the cancellation date BY ONE DAY and when I called on day 31 I was very abruptly told that I was now obligated to pay for the (still not even opened) product. I pointed out that I did not have a DVD player, that I'd called twice to cancel and get a RA Number, that I never even opened the product, and that I could not afford it. No sympathy - even though when I called previously every agent that I spoke to was overly sympathetic to my fragile state - having gone through the same thing themselves and using the product which helped them so much!! I made a concious decision NOT to pay for the program and just to take the hit on my credit report. That was in 2006. Today (10/1/2009) I was almost denied a job because this charge shows up on my credit report, and the only way I will get hired is if I call the company and make payment arrangements and give a copy of the confirmation of said arrangements to my new employer. I have been unemployed for 2 months and really need this job. I NEVER even opened the package and have no idea whatsoever where the thing is even at. Be warned... they prey on people's fragile state of mind. Don't order the product unless you are prepared to pay $$!!!
 28th of Nov, 2009 by   leacin2006 0 Votes
I got the Midwest Center and never had any trouble with them . it's been a blessing in my life . every bit of money that i spent it was worth it .. THANK YOU . MidWest Center.
 21st of Apr, 2010 by   h20blue 0 Votes
Midwest Center IS A JOKE! Their personal coaching is another joke. They take advantage of people that are just looking for help with stress and turn around and pound you in the ass with fees that will cause' you more stress then you had before. I think these people should be ashamed of themselves. Don't fall for all the payments & return policies they come up with, trust me they will screw you in some way.
 10th of Jul, 2010 by   going after the dream 0 Votes
It is a wonderful program. It gave me my life back. It is worth every penny. Professional counseling cost 10 times more. This program works so well that it inspired me to return to college to get my masters in professional counseling so that I could help others with this problem, using some of the methods found in the attacking anxiety program. Thank you Midwest center!
 27th of Aug, 2010 by   raberta 0 Votes
I have learned to to due research, before buying. Like most people, I have been scammed in the past.

I was happy that I did this again...sounded too good to be legit...and definitely too expensive. I was caught with the free CD offer. When I called, the guy just kept talking, and when I asked him several times what the bottom line was, he continued to talk about how great the program is. I finally told him to stop trying so hard to sell me something, without answering my bottom line question. He continued to babble on about free trial offer, not a free CD, and then the easy 8 monthly payment.. I told him I woulds get back to him, and immediately went to computer to do my research.

Thank you all for your postings. I'm not going to call him back. i AM SURE HE WILL CALL ME, AND I WILL, BRIEFLY AND FIRMLY TELL HIM ABOUT MY RESEARCH.

THANKS AGAIN. More people should learn to research, before buying, and stop lining the pockets of these scam artists.
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   lmnno 0 Votes
I totally agreee...this company preys on people with anxiety and depression to get their money. First of all, when I called, I was told not to consult with my husband it'll only cost me $7 to get the cd's shipped to me. When I checked my account, I was charged $15. Then I called to cancel since the amount was different. After thirty plus days I get a call from a lady with a nasty attitude saying if I don't pay $300, I would be sent to a third party collections. Can we say more anxiety???? OMG! I'm pissed to say the least. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. The shipment alone is enough to give you a panic attack -- to much information at once.
 27th of Dec, 2010 by   uyeasound@gmail.com 0 Votes
I sympathize with the people who got taken advantage of here, but you do gotta realize that pretty much every infomercial on TV has something a little fishy about it.

I just saw this on TV. For the first 7 minutes it looked like some documentary that would air on public TV, before that start going on about how to "call for your free CD." But since this was on a different channel, I should have known better.

Anyway, I searched the number they gave, and nothing showed up. I almost gave up looking (although I wasn't planning on going with their offer), but then I just typed "anxiety, scam, free CD" and it brought up tons of posts regarding these people.

They are probably doing most of their operations "legally, " but as has been mentioned before they are taking advantage of vulnerable people. And when they start billing people early, that's likely crossing the line, but unfortunately it's something companies can often get by with, especially when they DO give refunds to the people who were wrongly billed and bother to fight it (not all people do, which is where they make a lot of their money).

Anyway, be careful people !!!
 22nd of Jan, 2011 by   Avitar -1 Votes
There are a lot of BABIES on this board - cry-babies. 31 days DOES NOT EQUAL 30 days, especially when a company has given you 30 days THREE TIMES! It matter not whether you'd opened the box or not... or that you've misplaced it somewhere in your home. GIVE US A BREAK!

In 2009 one guy refers to "casettes"... HELLO? The program comes with CDs and DVDs.

LOLL, the insanity of these posts actually makes me want to KEEP the course... coz I sure as hell don't identify with these complainers. GROW UP... and good luck to you all.
Everyone's mentioning large sums of money. My purchase price was $299, so perhaps the price has been reduced?

As for drinking 8 or 10 glasses of water daily, that is a mere healthful adjunct just as taking Vitamin B12, B6, B1 are very important for central nervous system, energy, and avoidance of depression. THIS is not what the "course" is about for heaven's sake.

Cry-babies... this board is nuts and, with all of the outrageous complaints indicating spoiled, illogical people, it is unfortunately NOT HELPFUL in determining if the course is good or not. I HOPE there's another board... one with ADULTS instead of babies so that we all might get some real feedback instead of babies complaining about postage. (WTF? Geeezzz, I can't believe the people on this board!)

This course has been around for roughly 20 years. Now, I ask you, how bad can it be with such a chronological time-track?
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   4restwill 0 Votes
On the question of whether or not to take the Midwest Center course -my vote goes along the lines of your reasoning -whoever you are. However yours could be a more effective post without the obvious attitude (for starters, try substituting cry-babies with a euphemistic synonym for example) Otherwise, yes I agree, this board does nothing to inform me of the viability or liability of the Midwest Center program.
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   snoopdawgy818 +1 Votes
http://shambook.blogspot.com/2007/04/center-of-my-concerns.html check out this article on midwest center ... and when u have time check out this great site on anxiety ANXIETYCOACH.COM SHOWS U DONT HAVE TO SPEND ALOT OF $$$ OF ANYTHING!
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   snoopdawgy818 0 Votes
http://shambook.blogspot.com/2007/04/center-of-my-concerns.html check out this article on midwest center ... and when u have time check out this great site on anxiety ANXIETYCOACH.COM SHOWS U DONT HAVE TO SPEND ALOT OF $$$ On ANYTHING!
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   snoopdawgy818 0 Votes
i found this on a site Anxiety Scams on the Internet

Anxiety scams abound on the Internet, with promises of quick cures for panic attacks, phobias, and other anxiety problems. When you feel desperate, when your daily life has been so disrupted by chronic anxiety that you're ready to try anything, it's very tempting to log on and buy the next product you see.

Maybe it will help. But there's a good chance that you won't get the promised results. The worse result then isn't even the money you spent, it's that you become less hopeful about ever solving the problem. So it's important to choose your self help tools carefully, and not just grab the first promise you see. Claire Weekes offered hope and help. All too often, anxiety scams offer hype and hustle. How can you tell the difference? How can you be an informed consumer of anxiety products? Most importantly, how can you find something that works?

Here are some tips.

Beware of quick, easy "cures"

Anxiety scams, in my view, promise quick, easy results. They claim that the great majority of people who use it are "cured" of their anxiety. They suggest that the creators of the product have some special secret or insight which contains great power to help you, something that no one else has thought of. They often offer statistics which can't be verified, and testimonials from people who can't be located.
Anxiety disorders are solvable problems, and most people who struggle with them can overcome them. But recovery does take some work. If the promise sounds too good to be true, it's probably an anxiety scam.

Look for people
with professional credentials

The Internet is full of programs created by people with no professional training in health care, psychology, or any relevant field. They're generally people whose skills are in marketing and advertising.
They often try to turn this to their advantage by pointing out that many physicians and therapists don't know very much about anxiety disorders. This is unfortunately true, but it doesn't mean that the answer is to turn to Internet marketers. The answer is to find better sources of professionally trained help, and materials written by people with the training and background to be helpful to you.

Be wary of affiliate programs

On the Internet, anxiety scams are often marketed and sold through "affiliate programs". In an affiliate program, people with products to sell offer others the chance to sell the product through their own web site and keep a commission, typically 50-75% of the sale price.
It's quick, easy, and cheap to set up, and affiliates can make some money with little effort. Nobody has anything to lose...except the buyers. This is why you'll see hundreds of web sites for these products.

This marketing has become so organized that there's even a market for buying and selling the articles that affiliates use to promote these products. Affiliates themselves often don't know much about the product, and sometimes pay free lance writers to do the writing for them.

To see how this works, take a look at these typical ads in which Internet marketers seek anxiety articles. Scroll down to see the ad for 9 articles on "fat loss, dog training, and anxiety attacks". Everybody needs to make a living, but this isn't how I want to get my health care problems solved!

How can you tell if you're looking at a product sold by affiliates? Just google the name of the product. If google returns lots of web sites advertising the product, all fairly similar, and linking you back to the same site for purchase, that's an affiliate program you found.

Compare prices

Most of the best self help books for anxiety disorders sell for less than $20. Anxiety products on the Internet are typically priced far higher than that, even though they're often only digital files which cost nothing to reproduce. These products usually range in cost from $60 to $100. The prices vary because they often offer a "special low price that expires today!"
You can buy a small shelf of books by Claire Weekes for less than what you would pay for one anxiety scam. Dr. Reid Wilson, Dr. David Burns, and Dr. Edmund Bourne all have written excellent self help books which sell for less than $20.

When the price seems really inflated, odds are you're looking at an anxiety scam.

Seek information, not just advertising

A good self help site will freely offer actual information that you can use. It probably has products for sale as well, but that isn't its only purpose. It will offer actual self help information about anxiety disorders, and give you a clear idea of how the products can help you. Look through my web site, or some of the professional sites listed in my Links section, and you will see sites that not only explain how treatment can help, but that provide information - useful information for free - that you can use to help yourself.
The typical anxiety scam web site consists of screen after screen of high pressure reasons to buy, and lots of extras if you buy NOW. However, they rarely describe how their product actually works, or give you anything you can use. They just urge you to buy.

If you read through an entire web site and still can't tell what method the author proposes for you to use, odds are you're looking at an anxiety scam.

See if it's available elsewhere

The Internet is a wonderful tool. But why aren't these products also sold in stores, and large outlets like amazon? It's often because the product isn't good enough to get approval from third parties like editors, publishers, and retail distributors.
If these products were sold in stores, they'd attract a lot more scrutiny. Reviews would appear in newspapers and magazines. Customers would thumb through the books on shelves. Some Internet marketers don't want this kind of attention. Their strategy relies on catching you when you feel needy - maybe when you can't sleep and you're desperately surfing the Internet for help - and get you to make that impulse buy when you're least prepared to make a careful, considered choice.

When you can only get it from one supplier, the odds go up that it's an anxiety scam.

I have so much trouble -
isn't it worth a try?

It might be. These products are generally overpriced and over promised, but that doesn't mean there's nothing of value. You might get something out of it, even if it's only a placebo.
But it's not a good place to start. A better way to start might be to go to amazon.com and search for books about the problem you face. Read about the authors, read the reviews, and you can often read a sample of the work itself. The odds of getting useful help from books you find that way are much, much higher than just googling the topic.

If you do want to try out an Internet product, then investigate it as best you can, and take two more simple steps.

Don't buy groceries when you're hungry

If you've ever struggled to control your diet and your weight, you probably have heard this suggestion. Don't go to the grocery store when you're hungry and grab whatever appeals to you. Instead, make a shopping list when you're not hungry, and follow that plan when you go to the store. That way, you can shop in an organized manner, rather than impulsively.
Do the same when considering anxiety self help products. Investigate and compare them in an organized manner when you can give this your careful attention. You're much less likely to buy into an anxiety scam this way. Don't shop when you're feeling overwhelmed by anxiety in the middle of a sleepless night!

Protect your rights as a consumer

Internet marketers typically promise to refund your money if you return the product within a certain time. The good ones consistently live up to this pledge. However, some don't. So before you make a purchase, carefully read the description of the refund provision, and print a copy for your records. Pay only by credit card. As soon as you receive your order, review the materials and make a prompt decision to return or keep them.
In the event you return the product but don't get the promised refund, you can ask your credit card company to remove the charges from your bill. They will do so if you can show them that the seller didn't give you the promised refund. That will be easy to do if you keep a copy of the refund provision.

Instructions for filing this kind of complaint are typically on the back of your monthly credit card bill.

And, if you keep the product, use it diligently, yet fail to get the promised results - that's unfortunate, but don't stress about it. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can't be helped. You bought a product that wasn't helpful, at least to you. Keep looking for something better, by keeping the above points in mind. anxietycoach.com
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   Mark Risley 0 Votes
Stay away. This is a scam. Don't trust the positive responses that people that work for this company are posting. And...it is not 30 gays anymore, it has been reduced to a 2 week trial. You can guess why. Just trying to help the people that do their homework.
 12th of May, 2011 by   brian fa 0 Votes
mail fraud call your attorney general and get them to get your money back...but don't wait to long...as time is money
 12th of May, 2011 by   brian fa 0 Votes
i love nco...i love to sue them...they push people around...but not this collector...if they harass you email me what they did and i will give you info how to catch those novice collectors using the f.d.c.p.a...in fact any collection agency...alot don't follow the law
 12th of May, 2011 by   brian fa 0 Votes
by the way it doesn't cost $9.95 anymore they raised it to $14.95...maybe they don't know what free means and that is depressing!..remember s&h cost are always double...a 2 cent cd...see the profit?

The World's Most Insulting Fees