logo

Topix, LLC
Cyberbullying Company
4. (25 mins ago)
exchange-paysafecard.es
My transfer of my money failed and they didn’t return money
5. (42 mins ago)

Posted:    Marcia D

customer service

Menards
Pekin, Illinois
I am a general manager at a
large retail location and in fact used to be a manager at one of your
competitors so I know about guest service. I will tell you I receieved
none. I needed to return a chainsaw that did not work. I understand policy
is to take it to a repair service. I had to purchase another chainsaw from
another retailer because I was in need of one so badly. When I tried to
return the defective one I was told to get it repaired. I DO NOT need it
anymore I had to get another one. I do not understand how a company can
sell defective product and make it the customer's problem. I explained all
of this to the dept manager, he said it didn't matter I had to keep it and
get it repaired. I wanted to speak to the store manager. The man did not
even bother to leave his office, and called the dept manager and told him
no. I have never been made to feel more unimportant and insignificant in
any other retail environment. Perhaps, if I had been a male returning a
power tool my complaints would have been taken more seriously. In my
experience I know that exceptions can be made for guest satisfaction. I
have never let a guest leave my establishment angry and unsatisfied if I
could control it. I was not asking for anything but a return. I should not
have to get a product repaired because you sold it not able to work. I know
that manufacturers give credit for defective product. I know that it
happens and it is not the retailers fault. BUT I also KNOW that never ever
have I made that my GUESTS problem and not taken care of them. For a
company that screams the importance of customer service... your stores give
extremely poor examples of that. Can someone please explain how you know if a chainsaw works if you don't put gas in it?
Comments United States Retail Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Aug, 2008 by   homeimprover 0 Votes
At Menards for 1 1/2 hours with loaded cart. Had 3) 8' X 23" shelving boards that had a "11 X 4" sign with a price of $13.10 for knotty pine, next to these were oak veneers for $15.48. At the register they come up $15.48, call for a price check, the guy comes back "$15.48". I bring him to the sign & he grabs the 1 inch screw tag & said "Nopr, thats the wrong price, anybody could have put it there" despite "SOMEBODY" did put it there on the products sign, & who would question a $2 less price for pine veneer than oak. Too bad for me. I call for a manager to discuss his attitude. No one shows, I scan my card & try to pay for the higher price anyways. I walk to the service desk & back to the register 'Ginger' is talking to the buildings dept guy who now realized I was going to report him. I ask her if she is the manager, she wont answer me, "excuse me, I called for a manager, are you a manager?" She dissed me & said "I, m talking ti him". That did it. I turned to the girl & told her cancel the entire transaction. The manager was worse than the dope James. Her excuse was that she was trying to get the "story" from him first. I said that customer service starts with the customer who called for you not the guy who insulted the customer. After alot of rudeness from Ginger the useless manager, she said she would adjust the $2 per board price but I was done! Let them restock the entire order. Best part is you cant reach a regional manager for customer service, just an Eau Clare, Wi
 5th of Oct, 2008 by   Shaun 0 Votes
Homeimprover,
Sounds like a sign was missed placed. Those kinds of things happen. Thousands of people walk through big box stores every day. People pick things up and don't always put them back in the correct locations. But why would you be rude and cut into a conversation when two people are talking. That doesn't sound very polite to me. Since the manager was there, it sounds like they were trying to take care of you. But a little patients goes a long ways.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   only2see 0 Votes
Oh my.. when you asked.. How can you tell if it doesn't work if you don't put gas in it? I bought a mower from Menards, and 5 weeks later it was shot... I went back to the store, talked to the manager. Their policy is.. 1) we don't give refunds on gas powered equipment after 30 days, or 2) if it has had gas in it. So I asked the question, How am I supossed to know if it works or not if I don't put gas in it. I got the most god awful, stupid look you could imagine. He didn't know what to say, so he got mad and ran off.

So my Mower is at a repair shop.. needs a new engine. How's that you ask.. I have no idea. But three weeks now, and my grass is getting tall, because the manufacturer Briggs & Stratton wont send the engine.. Hmmm. Brand new.. what happened to the days of customer service, and products that lasted... ??
 25th of Jul, 2009 by   menardsie 0 Votes
Well, it's in our return policy, you can even check it online. We can't return items with a hazardous material in them. Sucks that you can't test it without, but we can't do it.
 8th of Sep, 2009 by   MenardsTM +1 Votes
You can be as hateful as you want towards Menards, but understand that we are simply doing our job. Dont take it out on the employee working there.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   ckp75ohio 0 Votes
my husband and I went in for a return. The product was a drill and was purchased out of state.. We are in sub-contract work and travel...our employee paid cash for items and receipt was destroyed in flooding we had. We had 3 total. 1 in hand 2 in a work truck on its way back from Pittsburgh. We brought the 1 drill in and explained about the receipts. We asked if this was their product as we are not 100% sure it was this store. they researched and told us it was. We said great! we will bring the other 2 in next week when our truck arrives in ohio. We then bring in the 2 drills and the General Manager accused us of theft. outwardly and openly. Then he further stated we could have dressed up for the occasion and then proceeded to inform us he does not trust anyone who walks in the door.. and that he is the big Company of Menards standing behind him.. and then proceeded to ask me who I have standing behind me... He kept our equiptment and refused to give them back. I explained that I felt uncomfortable leaving the drills there.I stated it felt like if he asked me to leave a child there I should just trust him. he then said that he hopes my children are worth more than 200.00 dollars. he still has our equiptment. I called the regional or the operations manager and he told me he would get to the bottom of things. I had to call him back as he forwarded the problem to someone else without keeping us posted. this new person is calling all retail stores to see who carries the product and we still cannot retrieve are items...The manager also explained to us that we will not get our items back and I quote "because I said you cant have them"
 24th of May, 2011 by   Amm0622 0 Votes
The response from the Menards people on here tells it all...dont blame us for the product. They dont get it...we are not blaming them for the product, we are blaming them for the lack of customer service. How would they like to spend $400 on a lawn mower that doesnt work and then be told sorry about your luck but we still get to keep your money sucker! Seriously Menards? Customer...Service...gone.
 12th of Nov, 2011 by   Billythekid420 +1 Votes
Holy Shit! I cannot believe that a manager of the store did that and acted in that way. You should file a lawsuit against menards for theft of property and defamation of character. If I were you, there is NO WAY IN HELL THAT I WOULD HAVE STOOD FOR THAT BULL-CRAP!! If you need the name of a good lawyer, let me know in a post and I will give you the name of a lawyer that absolutely HATES Menards, and would probably do the case for you pro-bono!
 4th of Apr, 2012 by   AbsoluteRetardation 0 Votes
Yeah, I bought a brand new mower from Menards as well, doesn't work now. The "Professional Repairmen" say I didn't put oil in the mower. There was ABSOLUTELY NONE according to them, we tipped it on its side, and the "Professional" got oil on her hand and the dipstick. Menards is still saying that it's my fault because I put no oil in
 23rd of Jun, 2012 by   Jerry L. H. 0 Votes
Looking for metal 1 gallon cans I normally bought, Menards switched to plastic. No problem there. I commented about how I needed the metal can for solvent materials. The sales rep tol me I should not be putting solvent into a can in the first place. I have 17 years in the industrial finishing business and can tell you that people put solvent materials in 1 gallon cans. The new plastic cans cannot be grounded properly creating a fire hazard IAW NFPA33. Since Menards sells flammable solvents AND plastic cans, they set their customers up for possible injury and or destruction of property by not understanding correct safety procedures. I hope they do not kill or severely injure someone.
 2nd of Jul, 2012 by   MRLOGIC 0 Votes
I would ask the idiot salesman one question, Why are chemicals sold in metals cans if due to his uneducated logic that chemicals should not be stored in metal cans.
 9th of May, 2013 by   terdman 0 Votes
I put the extended warranty plan on my washer don't do it unless someone is in your area to fix it.I called on Tuesday to have someone look at my washer. They gave me time on the next day from 8am to 12pm no one had called or came I called the service department and they said it was from 1pm to 5pm. Bull I work 2nd shift and never would have agreed to such a time. they did call me back and said they found someone local to come look at it the next day. I called the company and they were still waiting for the order and couldn't make a appointment until the papers came threw. meanwhile my machine is still not working. why number one did I buy from Menard's I'm asking myself that today. I will now buy locally from an appliance store at least I would get service.. this is a heads up for anyone the warranty isn't worth the hassle

Bank Cards Scam