logo

Publix Spring Water
Publix Spring Water Smelled & Tasted Bad
3. (7 mins ago)
Clark Shoes
Stitching coming apart on both clogs
4. (14 mins ago)
Unemployment Benefits

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Menards Complaints & Reviews - Poor service!

Menards Contacts & Informations

Menards

Posted:    Valerie

Poor service!

Clive Menards Manager Stephen Smiley has lied to me several times. I purchased some special order doors from Menard's store in Clive, Iowa. They did not come in when they were supposed to. I was building a house and had several delays, so I didn't need the doors, so I kind of forgot about them. Three weeks after I ordered them, I was in the store and looking at clearance merchandise. At that time I saw doors just like I ordered. I asked if they were mine and was told that they were not. When I remembered, I went to pick them up and was told that they had been sold. Because I bought things at two separate stores, I lost track of the doors so I bear some responsibility for the long delay. The front end manager told me that they had sent me a registered letter stating that they were going to sell the doors if I didn't pick them up. No registered letter ever came to my house. Manager Stephen Smiley insisted that he and I knew what happened. He repeatedly said they sent the registered letter, but when I asked the front end manager for the number of the registered letter she refused to give it to me.

Manager Smiley said he would give me my money back minus a 15% restocking fee. I contacted guest services in Eau Claire, but the would not talk to me by phone. I wrote and e-mailed them and they responded with letters that didn't make sense. Finally, I received a letter that said whatever decision the manager made was what their decision was.

I made an offer to pay the difference between the price I paid and what they sold the doors for, but ol' Smiley talked as though he didn't hear what I said. He was haughty, condescending, and downright rude. He once again told me he would give me my money back minus 15% restocking fee, but when I went in to get that (deciding to write it off as a bad place to do business) good ol' Smiley told the clerk she had to give me a merchandise credit check. This goes against their refund policy. I asked for Smiley to come to the front when one voucher had been issued and they still hadn't given me a refund on the second receipt. I asked Smiley face to face to refund the amount on my credit card and he said, "No, I'll do what I said I'd do Saturday. I'll give you a merchandise credit." I said he was lying, he said he'd refund my money. At that point he ordered me out of his store. He said he would not complete the other transaction.

The bottom line is Stephen Smiley is trying to steal $256.46 from me and by ordering me to not come back to his store, what value is the merchandise credit of $203.20? Why would I want to spend any money at his store. The merchandise credit was a slap in the face to begin with. Last year, the same store sold a refrigerator that I had purchased in combination with a side by side freezer. New models came in, but they would not give me the new model which cost more, but looked exactly the same. A simple phone call would have fixed both problems but Menards has a problem with using the phone.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Chuck McDoogal 0 Votes
Just get over yourself! You delayed and if we waited for every person to decide when they were going to pick up their doors or anything else we would be overloaded with merchandise. Do you have any idea how many special orders we get everyday...we care about our guest but when they take advantage of our time its hard to get things done with both sides being pleased. As a company we can not hold merchandise for long periods of time because it cost us money. Have you ever thought about how we feel. We deal with thousands of people everyday and when people delay its hard to make everyone happy. Take some time and consider that we are human and make mistakes and get upset too. We feel bad about it but sometimes we just cant do want you always want. Its not always about you we have lives too and maybe a little respect for the people who work there would do everyone some good.
 21st of Feb, 2007 by   Joseph O. Eae 0 Votes
Oh my goodness! If Chuck McDoogal is an actual employee of Menards, I pity the remaining members of this organization. Yes Chuck, we are all human, we all make mistakes, and we all have feeeeeeelings... My feeling is that you must keep your feelings OUT of your decision making process, especially when you represent the third largest home improvement retailer in the USA, and the number one and two retailers are quickly capturing more and more of the market, using techniques to ensure their clients are first-top priority-numero uno-the very reason you have a JOB!!! In response to your comment stating "it's not always about you, we have lives too"... NO Chuck, it's ALWAYS about the customer. This is what keeps you living the life you referred to. How can you possibly state that "...when they take advantage of OUR time..." Chuck, what else do you have to do? If you don't have customers "taking advantage" of your time, consider the alternatives: Inventory of all the products you didn't sell? Looking for a second job to cover the loss in pay you would experience by losing all that business to those customers that dare "take advantage" of your time? I could go on, however, it's evident it will only be for my own edification. I'll leave you and everyone with these two thoughts: Start your feedback in MS Word, and spellcheck is F7 on most computers, and "just get over yourself".
 26th of Feb, 2007 by   Cameron Ziegenfuss 0 Votes
Every policy we have is written down. There are about 2-3 paragraphs at the bottom of your special order invoice that state the terms and conditions. Our return policy is posted on a huge poster right when you walk in the door. If you don't take the time to read these things, and you don't keep track of your own paperwork, don't blame Menards.
 5th of Sep, 2007 by   Don Butz 0 Votes
I Was sold a used broken refrigerator by menards and was told it was brand new. When I got it home and realized it did not work the manager basically told me it was whirlpools problem and to call their repair man. I did and the repair man is the one who told me the fridge was used and repaired by a non-professional. When I complained to menards about buying a used broken refrigerator from them they told me if whirlpool fixed it then there is no problem. After the fridge broke down for a second time I called menards back and the manager conveniently notified me they no longer carried that model and if I would like to get a more expensive model and cover the difference myself I was more than welcome to. Then there was the $400 in bad food from the 2 breakdowns which menards sent me a sheet where I had to supply about 15 different impossible pieces of proof that all the food i said went bad actually did. I then filed a complaint with the better business bureau which menards headquarters completely ignored. In closing I too am through with this corporate hustler.
 14th of Oct, 2007 by   Maria Miller 0 Votes
I purchases a fountain on clearance at the end of the season. There was no sign that this item was not returnable near the item. There was no sign that clearance was nonreturnable at the check-out. There was no sign that clearance was nonreturnable at the customer service counter. There was no sign that clearance was nonreturnable at the return counter so in fact the only way a person would know this was AFTER they purchased the item and it is listed on the back of the receipt.

I think this is very deceptive. I went to return the item one week after I purchased it and they would not even give me a store credit. The manager was rude, corporate was rude. This store treats customers with disrespect and I will take all of my further shopping the Home Depot and Lowes. I will also advertise this to all people I know. Don's shop at Menards. They hang up on you on the phone. This company is run by a person who has no respect for its employees or customers and so that is how the employees have been taught to treat people.
 17th of Jan, 2008 by   Jim Stevens 0 Votes
Did you read your receipt? All receipts state what items are seasonal and not returnable. The reason you think their corp. office was rude is because you did not get what you want. We are in the 2000's and the rules have changed. I shop at many other places where the customer is no longer right. The key is to do you research, ask questions, lean your retailers. If you do this then situations like this will not happen to you. I am not saying that you are in the wrong with your comment, but you are not in the right.
 1st of Feb, 2008 by   Kirk Ivankovich 0 Votes
Menards is terrible. 12 windows we bought could never show up. Lots of b.s. reasons. I found them in their store up on the third rack aand they had no clue, just kept spoon feeding me more bull. Garage door didnt match after employee assissted me in choossing it. Couldnt return it they said, sspeciaal order, no return. What aaabout less the ressstock fee? didnt aargue with them I will never go baack. Kirk Ivankovich L.I. Builders, Detroit Lakes Mn. P.S. Menards contractor rep. is not welcome on my Job Site! I DO NOT WANT TO BE ASSOCIATEDD WITH THEM, AS THEY DO GREAT HARM TO COMPANY IMAGE! TYPO board accting up.
 13th of May, 2008 by   Hollie 0 Votes
I would simply call Better Business Burea. I have dealt with dead beat busineses before and tired of it. I don't deal with contacting anymore, just make a formal complaint!!!

Business make mistakes too, but most don't say that they did.

Without the letter they don't have proof, that they actually sent you one either.

For the guy above Chuck McDoogal, doesn't matter how many special orders you have.
You are to serve each person as they are your only client-if it doesn't matter to you if they come back you and Menards would be out of the business-don't you think.

Kindness is a biggie and personally my local Menards is lacking.

Thanks though for the info on Menards-now I know not to specially order anything.
 4th of Aug, 2008 by   don barnett 0 Votes
When checking out in any lane, we have to be intrupted by other personal. We do not get the attention from the cashier, because other WOMAN keep interrupting and showing disrespect to the customers. the clerks in the stores are the best i seen . It is always the check out lanes that refuses to keep their minds on the customer. The other gilr keep bothering the other clerks and when i had a refund, they did not tewlll me what to do with it
I had to go back and get a refund slip to send in. Kewpp the woman away fom the front doors and away from the clerks
KOKOMO STORES IS NICE AND I LOVE IT AND THE CLERKS ARE THE BEST HELP TO ME AND OTHER SENIORS.
KEEP THE CLERKS AWAY FROM THE REGISTERS AND LEAVE US TO COMPLAINT OUR SALES AND NOT BE RUSHED OR BOTHERED BY THE WOMAN IN THE FRONT OF THE STORES.
THE COMPLAINT THAT SAYS ARE YOU PISSED OFF HAD TO BE A WOMANS IDEA AND IN BAD TASTE AND NOT CHRISTIAN LIKE
CHECK OUT IN THE 46901 STORE
 21st of Sep, 2008 by   ashley hymer -1 Votes
i got fired from menards for over riding a price with out supvisor authrization when normally a box comes up asking for one and it didnt and i changed the price anyways and i also got fired for being on workers comp and i got wrote up for that to and i got terminated for both can you help me with this to get my job back?
 21st of Sep, 2008 by   Joellyn Wood 0 Votes
My son was interested in purchasing a "kit" to put up a storage shed in his back yard. Because he has been to the Menards Store in Mankato MN several times and liked the items he purchased he chose this store to purchase his shed at a cost of $1, 900.00 plus.
First off, he came with his mother-in-law, on a Thursday evening, with a pick up and trailer to get the items needed. All of the items would not fit in the pick up or trailer. They explained his father-in-law would be at the store with a semi to pick up the items on the following Sunday, and could they have them on a pallet and ready for pick up. He was told this could be done. Sunday came, his father-in-law came with the semi to pick up the shed. Nothing was waiting as promised, no one was available to help. Finally, they had to demand either get someone to help or they would have to get their money back and go elsewhere. Immediately they got the help they needed.
Today we were assembling the shed. There were no treated 2x4's as called for in the direction to complete the floor. We had to purchase them at another lumber yard.
This was a "kit" to complete a shed...should not ALL items be furnished to complete this shed?
Again, upset customers and comments about NEVER shopping at Menards in the future.
We are wondering if there is some sort of compensation to us for the purchase of the treated lumber?
Thanks for your attention to this matter.
 4th of Oct, 2008 by   Rashell 0 Votes
We also experience VERY poor customer service at the menards on SE 14th St, Des Moines. We returned some flooring which had not been opened and clearly came from menards. We did misplace our receipt which was not good on our part but we were willing to take in-store credit. As the policy reads on the LARGE POSTER WHEN YOU WALK IN, you get the lowest sale price of the product back within the last 90 days. (Jim the manager and Ashley the customer service clerk) rang up the merchadise and said it was coming up as $0.76 per box. We had paid $26.00 per box when we bought it. That is a hellish sale. She said it must have been a mail-in rebate at some point. I said #1 mail-in rebates are NOT sales. #2 there is nothing in the policy about mail-in rebates #3 I asked to see proof any such sale /mail-in rebate and they could not provide me with that #4 I also asked for a copy of their policy that had any mention of mail-in rebates. They could not provide me with this either. They could not "over-ride" they sytem or ring it up any other way. They refused to work with us or make any effort to make this right. The manager even fought with me about giving me his last name!! This is definately POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I will never shop at Menards again, nor will any family or friends. This is unacceptable and unprofessional behavior coming from a large corporate company.
I have read many other complaints against Menards and never realized how many people had bad experiences there. They are even rated poorly with the better business bureau. I would never advise or suggest anyone to shop there.
 5th of Oct, 2008 by   SONNY 0 Votes
I try to avoid Menards.
I have had to return many items because their overly confident staff In Rockford, IL advised me wrongly.
At the DeKalb, IL Menards good like finding anything because the night mgr there would rather wander around pretending to work than help you. It was like pulling teeth to get information from him and I'm just talking about "where is it." I saw an employee, also in the building materials section at that store, saying "I don't know" as he walked away from a woman asking about kennels she had purchased there. They have some very good employees, but seem to be hiring some real slackers who don't know the business, won't direct you to someone who does, or confidently advise you all about something, about which they really know nothing (actors). At Lowe's in the northern Illinois area they are respectful and knowledgeable.
 16th of Feb, 2009 by   Elmo96 0 Votes
I do not see why you had to get store credit. As long as you had your reciepts, you should have gotten your money returned back either cash or on your credit card. The 15% restocking fee is generally overrided at my store. It is customary for the 15% fee to come up for all special order merch, but because 15% can take quite a chunk out of the total we generally just take it out so the customer can get all the money back you deserve. I believe the store manager did not handle things correctly...I don't know if you're exagerrating or not, but that is quite ridiculous. I have worked at the service desk at Menards for 1 1/2 years and have never had a manager go against store policy...that guy was waaaaaayyyy out of line and I'm really sorry that you had to put up with such a putz.

As for the comment regarding the flooring...well, if you don't have your reciept you have to take what we give you. And yes, the amount of any rebates the merch may have had at some point will get deducted out of the final price, which, of course, is the lowest sale price offered within the last 90 days. We do not have this posted because it does not occur very often, (even though I see no reason why we can't post it, because it can, and obviously does, happen) and the cashier should inform the customer of this before the return is even processed. And since rebates are only up for a week at a time, we do not keep extra copies around for "proof" of the rebate. There's nothing we can do to "make this right". As a customer, you have the responsibility of keeping track of your receipt. And remember, it is a priveledge, not a right, to be able to return things to any store, and we reserve the right to refuse any return. Nobody likes to hear that, but it's useless to sugarcoat things in retail.

While it's not right to have managers be rude and it's very frustrating when something doesn't turn out the way you expected, it's really the customers that make the shopping experience such hell. We are there merely to assist, but we cannot be unreasonable. And every single person that I've ever heard say "I will never shop here again!" has always been seen in the store again within a week. I really wish that most of them would keep their promise.

And to Joeseph O. Eae...you must be the guy that called me a "stupid bitch" the other day when I was on register! And because neither I nor my fellow coworkers ever leave Menards to live our own lives (because it turns out we really don't have one after all) we just tend to sit around all night and think of ways to make your shopping experience as terrible as possible! Too bad you have us figured out, but you're probably one of the ones who have proudly declared that you will "never shop there again!"
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   KGallas -1 Votes
Menards is corrupt and full of a$$holes. I worked there for 3 weeks and look how they fired me.

This is a email I sent to corporate headquarters requesting my job back.

My version:
I work in the yard shipping/receiving. Wood that gets removed from
stock gets put in what we call a Board Store to get cut up and
recycled. In ordered to be recycled it had to be cut up in 2' sections
and placed on a pallet then shrink wrapped to get shipped out. The
amount of wood that had to be cut up varied in pieces and sizes. It
would take me hours to cut up the wood to recycle it. It was my
opinion that some of the wood was still usable although it was
damaged/removed from stock. Instead of spending hours cutting it I
thought I would purchase it. I talked to a team member Kelly Jr. about
this and he stated, "I bought some Car Siding for $10 and redid my
whole bathroom, I think you can get all that for $10." With that
statement I advised my manager Brian Kelly that I would like to
purchase the wood out here that's going to be cut up to save me "and
the company" time and money. The wood could not be placed in the
bargain area do to the fact %97 of it was not AC2 treated lumber thus
we had to recycle it as explained above by cutting it. After I advised
my manager Brian Kelly about purchasing the lumber he told me that it
was okay. Brian Kelly then advised me to put in a building we call DSA
if I was going to buy it. Towards the end of my shift I took a 10
minute break to purchase the lumber at the contractors desk. The
manager at the contractors desk "Jamie" is the person that sold me the
wood. Arguments arises when I didn't explain every single piece of
wood that was damaged/removed from stock. The Picking List "attached"
says it was, "Damaged lumber sold as is no returns...override approved
by: Patrick Koerner." I paid for the lumber at $15 and went back to
work. Eventually it was loaded up and went to my families storage.
Nothing was stolen or misinterpreted.

The issue:
Within the wood that had to get cut up and recycled was a table top
that was warped, twisted, and heavily broken/damaged. They say that
this was not classified as lumber. I did not know this. I just told
them that I'm buying all the wood that was removed from stock siting
the the board store to be cut up and recycled.

Reason Fired:
I stole a removed from stock table-top.

My based on facts arguments:

- The tabletop was put from the board store into DSA along with the
other removed from stock/damaged wood "before" I bought it. Before I
bought it, I explained that it was in DSA. I could not list every
little piece there. Patrick Koerner as it says on the Picking List,
the wood was approved for sale for $15. I bought that wood for $15 in
cash. No theft occurred. I am so sorry that a table top isn't
classified as lumber. It isn't my job to determine how or what things
are classified as. Its the person to approve the sale "Patrick Koerner
the General Manager" to say what I can and can not take."

I classified the lumber before I bought it was,
-Removed from stock wood.
-I put it in DSA and put sold markers on it as advised by my manager
Brian Kelly.
-For example, 1x4x6's and 2'x4x6's.
-The wood was going to be cut up and recycled. It was my job to cut up
the wood so I thought I would purchase it...I was trying to help the
company not do anything stupid.
-When asked for a price I told them that Kelly Jr. bought Car Siding
for $10 so I thought $15 was a good price because it was indeed
damaged and removed from stock. The price was how much I personally
thought it was worth...the manager Jamie agreed.

I tried to resolve the issue before getting fired by:
-Willing to pay more
- I've only been working for 3 weeks and didn't know how much of a
issue this would turn out to be. I was trying to save the company time
and recycling costs by purchasing the wood rather then spending hours
cutting it up.
-Sending in the police to have there opinion...did not help!
-Explaining that the wood was sold "As is" and approved by the General
Manager "Patrick Koerner.

Is that bad management or my fault?

This is what I want:
My job back because I didn't do anything wrong.
Paid days that I missed.
 18th of Oct, 2009 by   Dingle Bogardus 0 Votes
I dealt with Glenn Farrand, the original poster, on many occasions. He had a great habit of "conveniently" not getting around to picking up special order merchandise for months, then trying to get price adjustments when the merchandise later went discontinued. Very unethical, and extremely belligerent when he didn't get his way.

To clarify one point, he was ordered out of the Clive store because he was making a scene and threatening Mr. Smiley with physical violence.

I'm no Steve Smiley fan, and Menards is better off now that he's no longer working there, but he did nothing wrong in handling Mr. Farrand.
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   Rubol 0 Votes
Menards Menards Menards - Only stay away.

Menards has sold me a defective Snow blower. When I went to return it right away, they would not take it back. It was a display item. I brought it home put some gas in it and tried to see how it works. It did not start but now that I put gas in it. Menards will not take it back.

Sometimes you would wonder how business run away with customers money. This is one case.

My advise STAY AWAY from Menards even if it costs you a bit more to go somewhere else.
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   f.m. +1 Votes
You DON'T save big money at Menards. WHY?
Even tho many have paid there charge cards on time & never late they're cards RATE went up to 24.99%

Is a "Class Action Lawsuit" is in order?
"False advertisement". You save big money at Menards... NOT!
 10th of Apr, 2010 by   Lauren Barrywhite 0 Votes
Mernards credit cards are serviced by HSBC bank. If you had an HSBC Mastercard the same thing could have happened. Would you blame the store for that, too?

They were able to raise your interest rate because the terms of your credit card agreement stated that they could do it. In other words, when you signed on the line accepting the card you also accepted the fact that they could jack your rate for no reason. If you didn't read what you were signing, it's your own fault, not Menards'.

Sorry to preach, but I had to find out the hard way myself that using credit cards is dumb, expecially if you carry a balance.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   Not happy113 0 Votes
I have had many bad encounters at the Menards store in Plover, Wi. The most recent just happened today. I went thru the check out and purchased around $900 of stuff, and was ready to leave and the clerk wanted me to open my back pack so she could see if I had stole anything. I said NO! She frantically started dinging her bell, and 2 employees started coming from both directions. So I walked out of the store. They "eagle eyed" me in the parking lot and pointed at me for some time while I was loading stuff into my friends car. Then the employee came out to the parking lot and told me that they would be calling the cops. So I started to get pretty aggatiated. I went back in to the front service desk and asked them what was up. They called down the assistant manager And he told me that if I didn't want me bag searched that I should not being it in the store. So I notified him that it is a violation of my 5 and 6 ammendment rights, it is gender discrimination because they don't check womans purses, and not to mention that it was really embarassing! I build houses for a living, and spend over $100, 000 there and this is how they treat there loyal customers! I am so sick of this store. There slogan should be "HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES" So anyways I got home and called the General Manager of the store and he told me they had no right to search me and that is not in the operating manual anywhere. He appoligized and offered me a 10% off coupon. Can you believe that, a 10% off coupon! If I wanted one of those I'd go cut it out of the sunday paper. This is the final straw! I will never shop there again! And I might take pleasure in tossing a handful of roofing nails in there parking lot everytime I drive by.

Tax Hacks: 5 Smart Uses for Your Tax Refund