logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Youth weekly Pay
Website is scam – don’t waste time
2. (6 mins ago)
star-loans.co.uk
Scammed me for £49.50
3. (19 mins ago)
sify mail id
mail id is not accessible
4. (24 mins ago)
ACK Group
Fake Job Consultancy
5. (29 mins ago)
Freebingo.com
I would recommend anyone thinking of joining and playing not to do so

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Medco Pharmacy Complaints & Reviews - Very difficult company to deal with!

Medco Pharmacy Contacts & Informations

Medco Pharmacy

Posted:    Valerie

Very difficult company to deal with!

I have talked to them 12-15 times faxed them RX from doctors office 3 times talked to a supervisor 3 times at 877-797-3687 ext 2958 and I am a diabetic who still cant get his prescription filled by this company correctly it has a very bad customer service they wont even call the doctor to see if the RX is correct.

Someone is going to get hurt by this company very soon. It's a very difficult company to deal with and has no customer service that acts promptly.

Comments United States Health & Beauty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Jan, 2007 by   Clarice Gates +1 Votes
Not only is Medco the worst at switching prescriptions, their customer service department is horrible! Every time you call you get some over talking, non-professional know it all that refuses to listen to your problem. On a previous call to them, I was advised by a Supervisor, Evelyn Music that I would be credited for sending back some medication. Now I am told by Shawnee (like the Indian)in the RESOLUTION DEPARTMENT that whenever you send medication back, you will be billed and the medication destroyed (if you can believe that). I tried to explain that's not what I was told. It is not posted any where on the website either. I asked for a Supervisor, I was told that it took 48 hours in order for a Supervisor to call me back. Then I was told that she could TRY to page a Supervisor which would take about 15 minutes. This is just another example of a company who CARES nothing about customer service, honoring their word or integrity. So what did I spend 45 minutes on the phone talking to Shawnee in the RESOLUTION DEPARTMENT for? Nothing was been resolved and I still have been billed!!!
 20th of Mar, 2007 by   Linda Boirders +1 Votes
I guess we have been lucky because my husband and myself have used them at least 4 years without a problem. In fact we have had excellent service. Between the two of us we receive 7-8 prescriptions every 3 months.

Once when a refill was delivered to the wrong address the person called Medco to tell them about receiving it in error. The pharmacist called to tell us and to make sure my husband had enough medication to last while they sent it out again via FEDEX. They have called other times about payment methods and have always been polite and helpful.
 17th of Apr, 2007 by   Sean 0 Votes
I called Medco mail order and asked them how much my Prevacid would be for a 3 months supply. The lady on the phone told me $75. I gave her my credit card to put on file for processing; not thinking it would be a bad thing.

My doctor calls in my prescription to Medco and a few days later I receive the Prevacid in the mail. I open it up to only find half an order. I call Medco’s customer service at once to ask why I was sent 90 pills when my prescription clearly states “1 tablet 2 times daily” and that I should get 180 pills.

Customer service says that is all my insurance would cover. I tell them the Target Pharmacy has not had a problem filling 60 pills a month for the last 6 months. I asked them why they filled half the order and charged me full price. I asked them why someone at Medco didn’t call me or the doctor first. They did not have an answer. I tell them I want to just return the order. Customer service says they do not accept returns. I tell them to just to credit me half of the money. Customer service said they feel like only crediting me $25. I said ok, how about just crediting me back $30 which would put me in the same place, had I got it filled at Target Pharmacy. Customer service said they could only credit $25. They said it is still a valid order because they fill 30 day and 60 day supplies as well. I told the Medco customer service they were committing fraud and I will just look into disputing the credit card charge.

After this incident, I Googled Medco and found all sorts of fraud they have been involved in. Be very cautious when dealing with Medco. They lie and they steal. They are very, very, very biased because they have ties with Merck.

Sean
Dallas, TX
 24th of May, 2007 by   Betty Moses -4 Votes
I disagree. I feel it is my responsibility to know what my health and prescription benefits are. If there are limitations to any of my medications my doctor is usually aware and tells me. ie: controlled meds. Otherwise I just call or go on line to price my medication before I have them filled. I usually just mail my scripts in because I understand that the doctors are busy and I want to be sure I have a copy for my records. I have used them for 7 years and only once had I had a lost order. They gave my a 7 day supply for free at the local pharmacy while they expedited a second order. I believe it depends on your tone when you speak to customer service on how the outcome will be. Overall I think they are a good company.
 8th of Dec, 2007 by   Wade Denman +1 Votes
Medco is the absolute worst! Look up incompetence in the dictionary, and it should say Medco. Whenever you call about something they messed up, (often), someone answers the call who knows next to nothing about the order. They put you on hold, so they can go ask a supervisor. The typical hold time is 20 minutes. They then come back, with a possible answer. If you ask them something else about it, they put you on hold for another 20 minutes while they go ask them again. My last call had me on hold for an hour and 20 minutes, and when they came back, they didn't have an answer to my question. They told me what I had known before I called. We called in an order on a Thursday, told them we needed it by next Wednesday,and were told we would be contacted with a delivery confirmation date. Nobody called, and it's Tuesday. I called then to ask what's up, and they said they couldn't find the order, but that she would walk this order through right now to be sure it gets going, and that she would call me back before the end of the day with a delivery confirmation date. Nobody called, again. I called them back the next day, Wednesday, and they said that there was nothing set up yet, but that she would call me back before the end of the day. I said, right, just like yesterday. Nobody called. Said the line was busy. I called them back Thursday, was put on hold for an hour and 20 minutes, and they had no delivery confirmation date. I could not call our doctor now, because they had me on hold so long, the office was closed. The next day, Friday, I talked with our doctors nurse, who called Medco to explain the importance of the timely delivery of this, and that it had to be here now. Medco said they would try to get it overnight delivered. So here it is Saturday, we are waiting for the delivery, and guess who calls??!! Medco! And they want to set up the delivery date for Tuesday.

I'm a mellow type of guy, who rarely gets his feathers ruffled, but when it comes to Medco, I get so upset, it takes many hours before my blood pressure drops to a normal level. Nearly every time I have to talk to those incompetent people at Medco, I get so angry I could just scream!! They are the absolute worst. If I wasn't forced to use this company by my employer, I would have dropped them a long time ago. The WORST!!!

My blood pressure has actually dropped a bit just from venting here, and I would encourage anyone looking for a mail order pharmacy to look up Jd Power's 2007 Retail Pharmacy Satisfaction Study, Mail Order, to see where Medco stands. I think I would rather use Caremark. They are an award recipient.
 10th of Jan, 2008 by   Cristy Pacheco +1 Votes
I hate this company!!! I would never recommend them to anyone. This company does not take resposiblity for thier screw ups. Their customer service dept. is the worst!!!
 3rd of Feb, 2008 by   Minde Malcomson +2 Votes
My husbands employer forces us to use MEDCO and I work for the physician who prescribed the rx in question. On the fax order form there is 2 lines at the bottom: The lines indicate whether or not you should recieve generic or brand name. The doctor has 100's of charts to sign and go through on a daily basis and multiple forms from different componaies and not one form is the same. My doctor accidently signed the line that indicates DISPENSE AS WRITTEN. So when my daughter went to the local pharmacy to pick up a month supply to use while we waited on the mail in order, the pharmacist statd that my insurance would not honor the 10.00 co-pay since there was a mail order pending. I called MEDCO to see what was going on since normal procedure is to allow a patient a 2 week supply of prescription from local pharmacy until the mail in comes. I was told that since this medication is packaged in a month supply and can not be seperated that I would be required to pay full price and then request a form and ask for a credit. While on the phone with them I thought I would ask the amount that I was to pay for the 3 month supply, since I have had alot of trouble with them in the past regarding money. They told me that I was billed for 80.00 dollars and I about flipped!!!! The amount that we have been paying at the local pharmacy in the past was 10.00 dollars for generic. The increase in price is due to the mistake that the doctor made when he signed on the wrong line. I spoke with Mrs. Hodges and she said all she could do was credit me 25.00 dollars to help, but that she was not obligated to do so since this clearly was not their mistake. If it had been their mistake then she could do more. When I stated that we had not even recieved this medication yet and asked if it could be returned to sender unopened and I could send a new request for generic on Monday she stated that it did not matter that we had not recieved the shipment yet that we were allready billed for the medication and we had to pay. She also told me to get my physician to pay the difference since this was his mistake. I work for this physician and this has happened with Express Scripts in the recent past and Express Scripts accepted the medication and shipped out the correct medication without hesitation and were very nice. This helped save an elderly woman alot of money. Why is MEDCO so hard to deal with and who regulates them? Is there a law that states they are required to destroy any medication returned to them that has never been opened? And am I responsible for paying 80.00 for a 20.00 prescription that I have never recieved yet?

Very AGGRIVATED
 2nd of May, 2008 by   Jocey 0 Votes
Medco handles millions of rx's throughout the year. They don't have time to second guess and verify each rx that has "DAW" on it. They hope that you doctor and doctor's staff is concerned enough with their patients well being, to make sure prescriptions are written correctly. Since you work in the doctors office maybe you can help make a difference and take a proactive approach to double checking the rx's before they leave your facility for accuracy. And yes, once a medication has left the pharmacy (in the mail, or out the door) by law it can not be dispensed to anyone else. In that case if med is returned by sender, even if package has not been opened, it must be destroyed. If it is destroyed, someone is out money, and if it wasn't Medco error, why should they eat the cost for the doctor? Doctors and PATIENTS need to take responsibility for what they are writing and sending in to be filled through the mail services.
 23rd of May, 2008 by   Jennifer +1 Votes
I HATE Medco. I have always had problems with them. However as a college student I get this insurance through my dad and his work and I don't really have a choice to just pay with someone else. So many times this company has tried to refuse me my medication and try to put me on a generic form of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT medication than what my doctor prescribed. The worst yet is after being diagnosed with narcolepsy, and being put on ritalin by my sleep doctor, it's a huge song and dance every month with this worthless company to try and get my pills. I've even been told by their disgusting excuse for customer service reps that narcolepsy isn't a real disorder! It shouldn't be any of their damn business what I'm on, their job is to shut up and fill it and not question what my doctor thinks I should be on. THAT decision is for my doctor to make and NOT them!
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   FREAKINGMAD +1 Votes
MEDCO IS NOT THE ONLY MAIL ORDER PHARMACY THAT IS RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE TO THEIR PAYING CUSTOMERS AND WE AS CONSUMERS SHOULDN'T TOLERATE THE BELITTLEMENT THAT WE RECEIVE FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS AT THESE PLACES. WE PAY FOR A SERVICE AND WE DON'T GET IT. WE GET AN APOLOGY FOR THEIR MISTAKES AND MISCONDUCT. AN APOLOGY IS NOT WORTH CRAP WHEN I AM PAYING HIGH PREMIUMS ON MY INSURANCE AND AM FORCED TO USE A MAIL ORDER PHARMACY THAT CANNOT EVEN READ A PRESCRIPTION AND THEN TELL ME ITS MY FAULT. THEN, THEY COULDN'T EVEN TELL ME THE DATE IN WHICH MY, PRIORITY EXPRESS, PRESCRIPTION WILL ARRIVE AT MY HOME. MAYBE IF I WASN'T HOME THE KID NEXT DOOR WILL GET MY MEDS AND SELL THEM TO THE OTHER KID DOWN THE BLOCK. THAT WOULD BE GOOD, TOO. THEY DON'T EVER ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AND HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE WHEN ASKED IF YOU COULD HOW WOULD YOU CHANGE YOUR POLICY. ANSWER: YES, I UNDERSTAND. WELL, APPARENTLY NOT OR SOMEONE IN THIS STUPID COMPANY WOULD CHANGE THEIR POLICIES AND BE MORE PRO ACTIVE IN RESOLVING CUSTOMER ISSUES AND NOT JUST WITH THIS INSURANCE KICKBACK PHARMACY BUT, ALL, INSURANCE BASED PHARMACIES. DO AWAY WITH MAIL ORDER PHARMACIES. ALL THEY ARE, IS A PROBLEM.
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by   Ticked Off +1 Votes
Medco has a racket going where their online system will show you the beginning and end dates for your prescription and number of refills remaining. But it does NOT show the beginning end end dates for their "re-approval" for the prescription, and the dates are NOT the same!!! They used this to reject my refill near the end of 2008 and push it into 2009 ("we have to renew our pre-authorization" ) so I would have to pay a higher co-pay.

This is utter incompetence to not have the pre-approval dates cover the prescription valid dates.
 26th of Feb, 2009 by   serfergirl +1 Votes
BAIT AND SWITCH - ??

I agree with, and have shared similar negative experiences with most of the commenters here. However, I wanted to point out that the perception of some who feel that these problems are due to incompetence are sadly misguided. Considering the laws of probability, one must conclude that these incidences are NO ACCIDENT. They represent a conscious and deliberate effort by Medco to [unethically] maximize profits at the expense of the consumer. Not to repeat the experiences I've shared with others on this board, I wanted to add yet another type of problem I recently experienced with them.

In the past, my doctor had prescribed for me an albuterol inhaler for asthma (Proventil), which was covered under Medco's plan in 2008 when I ordered my last refill. After my recent doctor's visit, I checked Medco's web site to confirm that the new Rx for Proventil would still be covered -- and learned that it was. Because I was not yet out of the medicine, I waited about a month before mailing the new Rx to Medco. Surprise, surprise! I checked my bank account yesterday and was horrified to see the amount Medco had charged me for this new Rx! Apparently, they had recently decided NOT TO COVER the Proventil and switched to only covering Maxair Autohaler, instead. Presumably, it is possible to confirm coverage of any particular Rx one day, mail in the Rx to Medco the next day, and find that the status of coverage for that Rx has literally changed overnight. What is this -- VEGAS?? MEDCO, STOP GAMBLING WITH OUR HEALTH!!!
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   oceanmom 0 Votes
Just want to thank everyone for all the Medco stories of experience. I've had them as a 'Prescription Discount Program' on my card for several months and have yet to try them. That is mostly because, if I fill a RX for 3 month supply as my doctor writes it, most insurance companies charge a 'copay' of $15 per 30-day supply...and if 90 days of meds is less than $45, it doesn't make sense to bother! Now I have new information that keeps me from even TRYING Medco!! What a gem of a rip-off by our health insurance company. It's all so exaspirating!
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   flatworld21 0 Votes
I agree with all the negative comments listed here and it is plain to see that the positive comments are from medco emplyees or shills. The comments from the shills just inflame people so they should stay out of here.

Did you know that it is an FTC regulation that when you call a business and you are talking to someone not stateside that you can request for no reason that you speak with a customer service person int the United States. Medco uses a call center in the Philipenes.

This company is the worst. I use mail order and there is always broken pills. They know the pills are broken. Try and get a refund for the broken pills. They will also not fill if you are even 12 hours to soon. If it is 1 min after midnight on the fill day they will suggest you find a 24 hour pharmacy.

This is a very bad company and should be reported to the FDA, DEA and the FTC. If an offshore rep refuses to transfer you please let the FTC know and they will give them a big fine and shutdown the offshore operation if it keeps up. Our mail order meds probably come from an asian country. What ya wanna bet ?
 30th of Mar, 2009 by   Beth 0 Votes
I completely agree!!! One of my meds is rated as a "speciality" medication which means I can only order it from Medco under my insurance plan. If I go to a local pharmacy they will not pay for it. It is $1800 a month. I've been fighting with Medco for almost a month and have missed 3 doses. Each time I call the person I talk to tells me something completely different that the last person. My doctor has faxed, the prescription and called it in twice. They have no record of it. Missing doses is dangerous. I finally got them to agree to let me have 1 fill at Walgreens, then they will send me the remainder via mail...if they get the prescription of course. I'll keep you posted, I don't think my fight is over.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   mark13148 +1 Votes
Yes, I agree Medo is the worst company. I have had many problems filling prescription with them. Now they started this new racket, every time Dr writes new prescription, they need what they call pre-authorization. That means even if Drs office has sent in rx, they want double and triple confirmation like do you really want to prescribe this? Do you really really want to prescribe this? this is their way of discouraging people not to fill their prescription. This company needs to be reported to FDA for malpractice, causing unnecessary delays and frustration and anger it causes it's customers.
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   bearni0206@hotmail.com +2 Votes
Medco is the Worst Company ever. Very very and most difficult company to deal with. I went to my doctor for 3 time to fill the exact prescription, and Medco still no get it to process, they never concern about client's prescription not like the local pharmacy that they will call to verify for the prescription or tell the doctor that prescription is not cover, so we can get the another brand medication or change the mediation. In a fact, they just ignore until we were so worried and started to call them. I am diabetes too that with out the medication, I am dying.
Have they ever called the doctor? I don’t know about that, coz my specialist doctor knew that I am run out the test strips and need me to get fill right away, but medco gave me Lancets instead of test strips, which lancets only coz not even 15 dollars a box that we can bug in the local pharmacy. Even they know that lancets and test strips come together, they wont get fill for you until you ran back to your own doctor and fax the new prescription again. They try to avoid fill expensive items or delay the expensive items first.
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   jpenn +1 Votes
Medco messed up the Rx that I was supposed to get and even the rep on the phone after calling back said they screwed his correction up. It's bad when the employees of Medco even state that the polices they hold are not benefiting the customer and they can not do much to help. The best way to fix this in my opinion is have the company shut down or taken over by someone who can do their job. Another benefit would be that companies have to elect a decent policy based on employee election votes not picked by them so they can save money. We had to threaten with our attny to get them to fill a prescription along with the doctor on the phone at the same time.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   GSO FAB 0 Votes
Due to changes to my Company Medical Plan (went from United Health Care to Cigna), we were "forced" to use Medco's mail order service for our long term prescription needs. Prior to this, I had been filling prescriptions for Imitrex for migraine headaches at our local CVS and at times the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. My co-pay for this medication had been $40 for a 1 month re-fill, which is 9 tablets.

Now with this new Medco Plan, I must purchase 3 months of Imitrex at a time. I submitted my first prescription to Medco on December 28th, thinking that this would probably not get processed until after the holidays, which was O.K. since the new Plan went into effect on January 1st.

Well, on Friday January15th at 7 PM in the evening I get a call from Naomi with Medco Customer Service. She called to tell me that they couldn't fill my prescription, because it exceeded the limit of 9 Tablets per month. Well ya... that's because if I can only order a 3-months supply - 3 months x's 9 pills per/month = 27 pills. Once I had spent 10 minutes explaining how 9 x 3 = 27, she seemed to grasp the concept.

But that's not the best part. I asked what my 3 month perscription was going to cost me, 'assuming' that for 3- month supply, my part would be $120. I really had no reason to think otherwise, as "Medco" was managing our Drug Plan when I was filling prescriptions locally. Boy, was I wrong.

She proceeded to tell me that Imitrex was classified as a 'non preferred' drug and that for a 3-month supply my co-pay was going to be $588.51! Needless to say, I was floored. Before you wonder why I just didn't go for the generic form of Imitrex for Migraines, I have tried the generic brand on multiple occasion's and found that it just didn't even begin to touch the severe pain associated with these headaches.

I've spoken with both my Doctor as well as several Pharmacist's about this. All stated that generic's don't work for all people and that all generics are not created the same as the name brand. It has to due with the binders and filling agents used in making pills. Well, I won't bore with all the details, but since that initial conversation I've had multiple conversations with both MedCo Customer Service Rep's as well as my Doctors office who've also been calling on my behalf. Between myself and the Doctor's office we can't even get the same story.

Today is February 3rd, and I'm no further ahead than I was on Dec 28th when I mailed in the original prescription. MedCo sucks! They are terrible to deal with, and have not honored their part as was explained to us in a benefit meeting back in October when the Company first sprung this 'new plan' on us. I'm disgusted and aggravated beyond belief.

And they wonder why people are sick and fed up with these Company's. They only care about the bottom line and how they can screw the consumer. This has been so screwed up to this point that I'm not confident as what will end up happening. If you can avoid it, never, never, never, do business with these incompetent, unethical bunch of crooks.
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   Mike Smith 1 0 Votes
This company is run by idots!!!

ATM Skimming