Posted:

The new style of Phone Scam

MasterCard
A scam that's cropped up in recent years is a new turn on decades-old credit card fraud.
The point of the scam is to get access to the three-digit security code on the back of credit cards. Many Internet retailers require the code as a security measure. The crooks may already have stolen your credit card information from another source -- like a receipt or statement -- but they don't have the three-digit code.
It works like this. A caller says he or she is calling from the fraud department at Visa or MasterCard. Often, the caller gives a badge number. He or she asks if you recently purchased an anti-telemarketing device for $497.99. He or she then says the fraud department has been watching that company.
The caller verifies your name, address, credit card number and expiration date, and then says in order to block the $497.99 charge and credit it back to the credit card, he or she needs the three-digit code.
Once the caller has the code, he or she can purchase items.
Omaha police said that Visa and MasterCard are aware of the scam. They said the best advice is to hang up the phone in the middle of the call.
Complaint comments Comments (8) Complaint country United States Complaint category Credit Cards

Comments

14th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
We have a KOBO E-Reader. Every time we want to download a book MasterCard blocks the sale and we have to go to our bank to get them to lift the block. Two months later it is the same story. Why do you keep blocking this bookseller on us.

Patricia Reay

ctreay@yahoo.com

Mastercard - card
continetial finance
Greensboro
North Carolina

I had got this card and it came with so many fees I never even got a chance to use the casrd and had to make all these payments on it and when they sent it to collection I couldn't get in touch with them. Then it was sold to another company but they stayed on my credit and when I tried to call them the number on my credit report the number was no longer in service. I tried to call the 1 800 I found online but every time I put in my account number they tell me that number is not valid so I do suppose to contact a company that have no record of me.
 21st of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
i found out that mastercard and stater credit are basically the same people. i was charged $49.99 from mastercard i havent recieved a card or phone call about this situation. i was charged $99.99 from starter credit same thing i got no real person to talk to i have been trying to contact them for a week now.i just keep getting a female opperator stating that she is only there to take a message and that somebody will contact me. IM STILL WAITING!

Mastercard - withdrawed money
Nashville
Tennessee
Phone: 615-686-5387
tamikaballard40@yahoo.com

i filled out 2 appiations on line. i never completed them because i found out what they was charging me so i stopped the process and they still took this money out of my account, which is now in the negative. i need held to get this matter fixed fast. i've been calling these two numbers (1-818-255-9978) and (1-800-430-0672) no one is calling me back or leaving any messages for me could you please help me. i would also like to no if i have been scamed

Mastercard - Fraud
Mastercard

I had received a phone call from a company stating that they were with Mastercard and they told me that I would receive a gas card and a vacation offer sent to me for being a loyal customer. The guy had my Mastercard # but stated that my card would not be charged, I never gave him my #. He stated that they would send a packet to me but would only charge my account if I called the 800 # to activate it. I never received anything in the mail.
I had a few charges on my bank account and one was from Bella Clear for a total of $73.87. There was one from MHP Med Health Plus for $62.67. I had 2 charges for $1.00 each from Leisure Time and Discount Savings Plan.
I called Bella Clear and spoke to a customer service rep that stated that I agreed to receive this product over the phone with the company that offered the gas card. I informed him that I never auth this and never received it. I told him to refund this money back to my account and he told me that I would have to return the product in order to get a refund. I asked him how I was suppose to return a product that I NEVER received. He gave me a tracking # from the post office. I asked to speak with a supervisor and he told me that he would have someone call me back but they would tell me the same thing.
On Saturday morning I received a phone call at 6:40 am from this company claiming to be Mastercard stating that he had a returned package and wanted to verify my address. He started reading off the address and then paused, he then stated 'Oh, you live in California, its only 6:30 am there...Ooops'...click. So now this guy has something returned to him that I am being charged for and he didnt get my correct address to send it back out. I was asleep when he called so I barely remembered the call until I called Bella Clear today.
I called Mastercard and asked about this offer and who I need to complain to about this and the lady stated that Mastercard doesnt call out to anyone with offers and their offers are only online.
 21st of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
I know the scripts very well, friend. They DO NOT state they are from the credit card company they say they are calling "in reference" to your card (whichever card they have recorded that a customer has used in the past 18 months). you used it somewhere and that company sold your information to other infomercial/internet companies which is why we call you to begin with. we dont spend tons of money on tv commercials and billboards. we do it "door to door" so to speak. all calls are recorded (the rep tells you that) and scrutinized by three levels of quality control before the sale is passed. and you HAD to agree to have it sent out by stating your zip code or pushing the keys on the phone when the rep asked you to. I can only speak for the Leisure program...I know nothing about the other two.
DÉBIT DE DEUX SOMMES : 44, 85 € + 6, 99 € NON JUSTIFIÉES

Mastercard - Subscriptions
England, Hampshire
United Kingdom

Don't pay for a subscription using a Mastercard. Even if you cancel If the company want to take further payments they can. My subscription was renewed without my knowledge or authorisation and Mastercard said that if the company want to keep taking it they can do and there is nothing you can do about it unless you get the company to stop.
I paid for a subscription to Spyware Doctor and then removed the software some time later and forgot that I had given my credit card details to subscribe - until the bill turned up with another annual subscription taken out of the account under the name of DRI PCTOOLS.COM
I called Mastercard and they said even if the account is closed they can still take the money out!
I have to complete a dispute form which apparently will at least mean that if the subscription is continued Mastercard will re-imburse my account, but I would rather they refused to pay it like my bank would.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree