logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Busuu.com
Shame on them for their awful business methods
2. (23 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Harassment

Massage Envy
massageenvy.com
I was told that there was no long term obligation when I enrolled and that it was month to month. As if that was not enough, I had a heart attack in early 2007 and had bypass surgery. These jerks harassed me in rehab. I told them what had happened, that I was in rehab, and that I could not have massage.

I did not hear from them for almost two years. Now I got a letter from a collection agency asking for $294.00. I have not been in their store since my surgery.

Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Dec, 2008 by   Bella616 -2 Votes
Massage Envy is a complete rip off. It fools people into signing up and taking their money out of their bank accounts and then if you want to cancel it is virtually impossible. They come up with different scenarios of why you can't cancel. They tell you after the massage that your membership has expired. They are very SLICK. I am reporting them to the better business burea and as many other complaint boards and blogs that I can find. DO NOT JOIN MASSAGE ENVY...
 14th of Jan, 2009 by   Dirtrocks -2 Votes
I made the colossal mistake of being conned into signing up for one of their fraud "memberships". The employee didn't tell me that their was a one year contract that you wouldn't be able to cancel. I have been trying to cancel it now for 6 months after I had a couple mediocre massages and decided that the $60 a month wasn't worth it. Now I have complained to the BBB and it is such a hassle and the location I am arguing with are being total jerks. I don't get why they would want someone who hates them so much to even come to their stores?

Whatever you do, NEVER SIGN UP FOR THE MEMBERSHIP, JUST DON'T GO THERE! From now on, if I ever need a massage I am only going to the small mom and pop chiro's and massage therapists. You will get better massages and better service for a better price. Massage Envy is a total SCAM!
 10th of Mar, 2009 by   SacramentoCompliants -2 Votes
I am dealing with a similar situation in Sacramento California. Massage Envy does actually allow a cancellation- but with a written, 30 day notice, at which time they bill you one more time. If you have any unused massages remaining, you must use them in 30 days or lose them. These were pre-paid massages. I am not sure how this is legal. They can't be moved to a gift card. The reason they give is that the contract says you are paying for a "Health and Wellness Program" not a actually a massage. The massages are "added value" so if you cancel the program, the massages go away despite having paid for them. You can "Freeze" your account for up to 6 months, but again, any massages you have paid for can't be used during the freeze period.

Clearly BBB needs to get involved here.
 11th of Mar, 2009 by   njo -2 Votes
I signed up for the prepayment plan with Massage envy in Westminster CO and used their services about 15 times. In September, I lost my job. In November, someone from the Westminster Massage Envy store called because the charge on my credit card didn't get through. This was because the card had been stolen and had to be cancelled. Also, all my banks have reset my credit card limit to whatever my current balance is - so I have no credit cards that can be used for automatic payments. I told her my situation and that I couldn't afford their services for now. She told me that to cancel the monthly PREPAYMENT for services, they must receive a cancellation notice in writing, (which they have), BUT they say I must pay the account in full before they will stop future payments.

So since I can't afford to pay for Nov and Dec. since I need the money to pay for food and keep from losing my home, they're going to keep charging me $49 a month instead of stopping future payments. So, according to their policy, the charges will never end, even if I never use their services again. I've had 6 conversations with them, all the same.

It was at this point that I started ignoring their calls because NO ONE WAS LISTENING TO ME OR CARED ABOUT MY SITUTATION. It was too frustrating and stressful to try to talk to them again. Then I got a letter demanding payment.

At this point, I wrote a letter to the manager calmly explaining my predicament (for the 7th time), and asking the charges for Nov/Dec to be dropped. I said that if the charges were dropped FOR SERVICES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN RENDERED, I would return to ME when I'm in a better financial situation but if they continued to try to force me to pay for SERVICES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN RECEIVED, I would never again set foot in any of their stores, and would tell all my friends about their lack of understanding and concern for future business.

Her response was to send a threatening letter giving me 72 hours to pay up or it would go to collections and I’d have to pay court costs and lawyer fees - and again ASKING FOR A CREDIT CARD TO USE FOR MORE CHARGES. That's when I hit the roof and wrote a letter telling them to cease and desist or I'd take the story public. I was furious that they'd insist on making me pay FOR SERVICES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN RENDERED and due to their attitude, I'D NEVER RECEIVE - when I'm broke, possibly losing everything I own. No one from Massage Envy ever listened to what I was saying or cared a bit about the incredible stress I am under or the reasons behind it all.

The manager of this establishment blew an opportunity to show some humanity. I think their actions showed total lack of sympathy, empathy, or flexibility. A smart manager would have acted differently. If the store management doesn't change the attitude about how to handle situations like mine, there will be many more angry current customers who are lost to their business - and lost future business that may have come their way via referrals. They should teach employees to listen to what people are telling them, and make their policies flexible in these trying times instead of being nasty and threatening to harm people's credit when they're trying desperately to refinance their home to save it from foreclosure!!!.
 26th of Mar, 2009 by   jensen2675 0 Votes
The contract is clearly spelled out regarding the cancellation plan. I have a copy. Why is it that when people sign for something, and do not read it all the way, they complain because it doesn't go their way? I know I have felt the same way a few times regarding other contracts I have signed which is why I read them and understand the hitches (which by the way...there are always some hitches with EVERYTHING).
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   costumer -2 Votes
Obviously the past post is from someone that works at the place. This place is all about money!!! and lies...If they were honest from the beginning and not say "month to month contract, and that you can cancel any time" it would be fine. There wouldn't be so many unhappy people. I bet everyone would just end-up paying.
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   common sense +1 Votes
Anybody that signs anything with reading it first is a dumbass.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by   Awful Waffle -1 Votes
The ME employees were very misleading when they conned me into signing the next twelve months away into a contract. First of all, when they handed me the contract, it was poorly copied, as if the printer was running low on ink and the majority of it was illegible, but they assured me I was only signing for their reserved right to discontinue me services and that I was aware that they were not liable for any further medical issues that may arise. Secondly, they explained to me explicitly that there was no strings attached and that I could cancel anytime [little did I know that would only be if I moved 25 miles away from the clinic or had a physicians excuse] and it was as if they were pushing me with their flimflam to keep me from attempting to read the contract, merely pointing at where I needed to sign. It wasn't until later that week that I had the time to find the contract online and see what I really gotten myself into. I feel like an idiot for not reading the fine print (not that it was legible), but in the heat of the situation, I felt that a subscription to a massage therapist wasn't the equivalent to a phone bill or a car note, and that I could honestly cancel at anytime. I've written up a 30 day notice [I've read from other posts that the notice should work regardless] and hopefully it will work.

Best of luck to all of you!
 1st of May, 2009 by   Calm down people 0 Votes
I am an employee at Massage Envy. Now I recognize that I cannot speak for all Massage Envy clinics, but every single person should read anything that they are signing. This is not a simple contract where you simply sign one time at the bottom of the form and you are done - you have to initial these contracts in several places and sign. Our clinic goes over the information at each point that requires a signature or an initial so that we are clear, but we do not hold our client's hands and read the entire three page contract. In addition, there is a 72 hour cancellation process for any contract that allows any client to go home, read all of the contract and if they do not like the terms they can cancel with no questions asked. I personally am very thorough when I go over the cancellation policy for the membership and am detailed in explaining the process requiring written notcie, that there is a 30 day grace period and one more payment will be taken out, and that at the end of the 30 days any unused massages will expire. I KNOW that everyone at this clinic is well trained and goes over the contract in the same manner and yet still we have clients that come back several months later and claim that we never explained that they couldn't cancel or that we were devious when explaining the cancellation policy for the membership! The simple fact that we require additional initials on several parts of the contract should draw attention to all of the details that you should read! In our clinic when I client comes in and states that we have lied to them or tried to trick them, we pull out their signed contract and we review the terms with them. Most clients in this instance are really more mad at themselves for not reading the contract. We are also very flexible with clients in any way that we can help them in certain situations, but it is difficult to help someone that only wants to call names and get heated in every conversation. The approach to addressing the problem with the contract should be calm and open minded - because YOU signed the contract - and that will get much more accomplished! Again, I recognize that not all clinics are trained and run the same as ours but I have been on the receiving end with plenty of customers that were so heated about not being able to cancel that they would not even stop berrating me to listen to what I had to say! People should take at least some responsibility for signing a contract without reading the terms and then try to be calm and rational when trying to ask out of a contract.
 15th of May, 2009 by   annoyed -2 Votes
This would be the first and last time I visit this center in Miami, FL (Tamiami). I am used to a professional spa and masseuse. I do not feel comfortable having the therapist talk to me about personal details of what is going on in the office neither there personal life outside of work. I find this very unprofessional and the staff needs to get properly trained, educated, or terminated. I will not recommend this place ever.
 16th of May, 2009 by   xrockchild -1 Votes
I have had nothing but terrible customer service from Massage Envy. I understand that you have to read a contract all the way through before you sign anything, but I don't ever remember reading that I was locked into a year contract. I also don't remember reading that you are required to pay for a whole year. Due to the bad economy, I lost my job and still have yet to find a job a year later. I had to put my account on freeze for 6 months when I was under the impression I could cancel at any time. They told me that I could cancel, perhaps she was being nice as it was my friend, but she quit. After the 6 month freeze, the same thing happened. You have to pay for the additional months after the freeze falls off (the rest of the 6 months of the contract). You CANNOT cancel your massage envy account without a doctors note. My docotor would not write me one. I also decided "fine I will use the massage credits I earned etc, " so I did. However when it came time to cancel, it was a huge to do. They try to get you to sign up again, and try to promise this or that. I finally cancelled with this company, however only to find that when you cancel say on April 12th, you get billed ONE more time during the "30 day cancellation" on the following month. This company is a good company, with good massage therapists, but their contract stuff is just HORRIBLE. I won't ever go back to this company due to the hassle of their contract... I would prefer if they would do month to month and get rid of their contract crap. From now on I will go to another massage place that isn't contract based. In this economy, a year contract is probably not a good idea.
 18th of May, 2009 by   lstothoff +1 Votes
Unfortunately we have had a similar experience. Trying to cancel a stupid membership we didn't even know we enrolled in until we saw 59/ month charges on our credit card. Now we've tried to cancel for 4 months because we haven't used any of the months we already paid for, but they continue to charge our card!! It's so aggravating because my husband has lost his job, and every month that charge goes through it overdrafts our bank account. Do not go to this store!!
 6th of Jun, 2009 by   Sacramento Pocket +1 Votes
I just tried to cancel my membership and was told it would cost $100 to cancel. However, when I hard sold on joining earlier this year, I was told out-right that I could cancel anytime and was not told that it would cost $100. When I explained this to the manager at the store (Sacramento, CA), he said that sales associates don't mention the $100 fee when people sign up because if they told customers everything in the contract "they'd be there all day". So, I went back to the contract... because as the EMPLOYEES mentioned in earlier posts, read the contract. Ya, nothing in there about cancelation or a $100 fee. This place is a total fraud. I understand times are tough, and companies depending on luxury items like massage might be taking a hit and may be desperate, but this is no way to do business. When you treat your clients like this, they tend to talk about it. I will tell everyone I know about ME's business practices.
 3rd of Jul, 2009 by   jokar1030 -1 Votes
This is a wonderful scam. I was foolish enough to join on the concept that it would be a one year contract. I travel a great deal and could not always make time for the massages so I let them build up to end the contract since they refused to close the contract. When the one year was up the company continued to bill my credit card for over eight months before the card they were using was compromised and refused charges. The company told me that I would have to make up for the missed credit card charges even though the original contract ended now over ten months ago. I made up the charges based on a threat to charge off the account. I had to make time to complete eight months worth of massages missed, pay for three more missed on credit card missed payments and sign a notice to cancel service. After doing all that today after two months from cancelling the contract I got another call indicating that after doing all that I owed another month in order to cancel the contract I had to pay today or pick up another months charges. Ok enough is enough after again the threat of a charge off, after taking time to make up eight months worth of missed massages and after paying three more I told them enough charge it off at least it will finally go away. I can't say enough about how callous this company is when it comes to strangle holding customers for payments. This is a company you want to stay as far away from on a contractual basis as possible. It's a shame they do have good therapist but their business acumen sucks I would suggest paying the $10 more and doing a walk in for the service if you must I’d strongly recommend staying away if all possible or as the adage says you’re going to regret it.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   candiebear -1 Votes
I have never had such bad judgement as the day on which I signed up with Massage Envy. Those theiving hacks let you get all loose and relaxed after your first massage and them WHAM, you wake up the next day and you've signed your life away.

I agree with the comments of all of the other Massage Envy victims; I was never told that I would be unable to cancel my membership at any time of my choosing, I was never told I was signing a one year contract, and I was never told that my bank account would be billed directly.

P.S.- There is nowhere on earth that isn't 25 miles from a Massage Envy location. So, for one, they're taking over the world. And secondly, that being their only 'way out', looks like most of us will be paying them until we die.

did I mention that the membership AUTOMATICALLY RENEWS ITSELF for another YEAR unless you go to the store and provide them with a hand-written letter to request that the membership were canceled!!!??? Why not seal it in blood, too?
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   expanded -1 Votes
I bought several massages for my girlfriend. I should have known better because they harrassed me from the moment I stepped in the door. I thought a salon was suppose to be relaxing. She went and enjoyed the massage but didn't enjoy feeling like she was at a used car dealership.

Luckily, I didn't buy any yearly contract or month to month. They had a time frame on the massages and she didn't make it in for the last two. We lost $177.00 worth of massages. They didn't try to work with her in the slightest. The place is HORRIBLE. It isn't relaxing because you will get pounded walking in the door and pounded for money walking out.
 5th of Oct, 2009 by   adub 0 Votes
Massage envy is one of the best memberships out there .
Youre paying for a massage once a month whats the big deal. If youre too stupid to read the contract thats your own fault. They give a 3 day grace period to make sure its right for you so they give a chance to cancel. THERE IS NO SCAM! Youre just CHEAP!!!
 10th of Oct, 2009 by   mr grump gils -1 Votes
I am a member of Massage Envy, and I couldn't be happier. I am someone that suffers from sever back problems, instead of blowing all my money on doctor and chiropractor bills I pay $60 a month (Which my insurance reimburses me for!) and I get the treatment I need. it's no scam, just read the contract. The staff clearly says you are comitting to 12 months, and if you don't know how long your comitting for, why are you signing it? I think everyone should calm down, and stop pointing the finger! They are a business, I'm sure your company has similiar policies that your customers don't always like, but thats business!
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by   real deal123 -1 Votes
making complicated contracts for something as simple as a massage programs is deceptive. I have been solicited to join and they did clearly state that it would be a month to month scenario. I even asked angled questions like, "so if I want to quit in 3 months i can?" and they said yes. What they do is a called a bait and switch. They bait you in with lies and then swith via the contract. However, if your on the verge of financial ruin then you should not be subscribing to massage programs. This is just as pathetic as the bait and switch. Bottom line, dont join massage envy. I find it offensive when people try to bait me in and so should you.
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   steved450 -1 Votes
Dec. 11, 2009

Better Business Bureau

I have been a member of Massage Envy for about 4 1/2 years. Granted they hire new inexperienced therapist, but they had a good fee and with a little experimentation you could find an OK message therapist.

I was a regular customer like clock work every Friday afternoon. Over the last 7 or 8 months I have gotten very busy with my company. Because of this I was having trouble showing up for my scheduled appointments.

I called and asked the person at the front desk if my wife Ana Dabbs could take the appointments on those days that I could not. They said YES no problem.

The first time she went in the charged her full “NON MEMBER PRICE” ! And at the same time charge me too!

When I called and asked what the communication-break down was, I was told she had to be a member in order to take my appointments. This was of course different than what I was told. I am normally a very easy going person and so I thought no problem she can join and then take my appointments when I have to miss.

So the first time she goes in as a member the same thing happened but this time she at least was charged the membership fee. But so was I!

Tired of being doubled charged I asked to cancel the memberships. Someone that identified themselves as a Manager said that all I needed to do was send in a cancellation and it would be handled. I did this at that time in September.

As of today December 11, 2009, the memberships have still not been cancelled. I called to find why, I find out I have to use their special cancellation form.

This company uses deceptive sales practices; they should be put on an unacceptable business list, and band as BBB Membership.

This company owes me several hundreds of dollars and I plan to peruse this until I get satisfaction. I plan to also complain to other outlets too.

Steve Dabbs