logo

404 West 8th St.
Kearney, Nebraska
Phone: 1-800-483-4263
marshallengines.com
I had purchased an automobile engine that had a 30 month 50, 000 mile warranty, upon receiving the engine and having it installed by a certified GM mechanic the engine did not run correctly. The engine was hard to start, burned oil, and would continue running after being shut off. I contacted Marshall Engines and the placed the blame on the carburetor. When the mechanic installed the engine he said there was no evidence of the engine ever being dyno tested the paint was not even discolored in the exhaust ports. I was told by Mike at Marshall Engines (6-15-09) they dyno using natural gas and not gasoline on this specific model of engine which in my understanding there are differences in engines that run natural gas instead of gasoline. The Install Mechanic told me that even if they did use natural gas there should still be discoloration due to heat which there was not. When I talked to Drew (6-15-09) she was unaware that they test using natural gas and stated that there are different parts on natural gas engines than gasoline engines. The engine used approximately 1 quart of oil for every 30 gallons of gas. After approximately 11 months and 3800 miles the engine blew up. Marshall Engines agreed to pay the same mechanic to tear the engine down and diagnose it (they have yet to pay the mechanic). He found a piece of the piston was missing, the head was cracked, & the head gasket was blown. The missing piece of the piston was no where to be found, the mechanic consulted 2 other GM Certified Mechanics about the missing piece. When the other mechanics along with the original mechanic did a closer inspection they concluded that the piece was probably never there as there were no marks in the engine from the piece being expelled through the exhaust ports. The concluded that the missing piece would explain the excess oil loss, hard starts, overheating of the cylinder, and running on that all had occurred since the engine was installed. They advised the mechanic to remove the engine and send it back to them for inspection which he did. They told me they would have it inspected and have an answer for me in 7 - 10 days. They received the engine on 5-22-09 after several calls to them they told me they were not going to honor the warranty on 6-13-09 (22 days after they received it) and stated it was something I did that caused the engine to fail.
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Sep, 2009 by   royboo 0 Votes
The engines has been replaced thanks to Dru and the new engine is working great at appx 800 miles
 28th of Nov, 2009 by   timothy450 0 Votes
The condition of the failed engine that you described is unquestionably due to detonation
(improper timing). Improper ignition timing also explains why the engine would run on after shut off.

I was in the engine remanufacturing business for 25 years and can testify that 9 out of ten catostrophic failures are caused by negligent installation. Installing mechanics will refuse to admit blame as this would them $2, 000.00 to $4, 000.00.

Marshall engines did you a favor by replacing the engine
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   Inflames 0 Votes
wow they got me on the same thing what do i do? saying its detonation when it was clearly timed right
 11th of Aug, 2010 by   GS1100EX 0 Votes
Purchased engine for Nissan Altima from Marshall. Tapping noise from head was pronounced from the beginning. Found that intake valve was starting to drop (the valve stem was sliding down past the keepers - they turned out to be used and worn). They sent another head. When the head was installed and started the intake cam snapped (you read right, it snapped) one inch past the the cam gear towards the first lobe. I had torqued all cam caps to spec and in proper order, and had rotated the engine three revolutions to insure no clearence issues. The head had been torqued using torque wrench and angle gauge and following Nissan factory procedures. I finally took all the good parts from both heads (the original and the one they sent me for replacement) and put together a good head. I had trouble getting the correct valve clearence until I realized that they had machined the used bucket shims instead of replacing them with the correct size resulting in the lazered etched thickness marks (in millimeters) that were on the bucket shems did not match the actual thickness of the shims. When you machine shims you remove the hardened surface where they contact the top of the valve stem and they will wear excessively and fail after a period.

Do not, I repeat, do not buy a Marshall Engine. They say they are remanufactured, meaning that all wear parts such as bearings, pistons, rings, shims, cam gears and chains are replaced but it appears that they are only rebuilt or cleaned up used engines.

One other point - The Better Business Bureau gives Marshalls a D- on a scale of A to F. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MARSHALL!
 19th of Nov, 2010 by   440 MOPAR 1800 MILE ENGINE 0 Votes
440 mopar engine, 1800 miles and bottom end went out, One cylinder damaged beyond repair. Happened in June 2010. Its Nov 2010. Im in the USAF stationed overseas, I bought the engine from Advance Auto Parts with them telling me the engine will be warrantied with me overseas. I put the engine in and sent the car overseas to Germany. I been onto there warranty dept and been stalled with them asking for every photo you can imagine, So every part of damage has been sent to them. Now there telling me Im not warrantied because Im overseas.
I said I will send you the engine, But you need to pay for shipment of other engine to me. Im not rich and cant afford to pay for shipping of engines each way. I will find out this tuesday if there going to look after me. I have brought the engine to a machine shop and they said the engine is no good. Not worth rebuilding etc.
They said engine had no signs of being bored, no swirls or cross hatch marks etc, oil pump was used, engine had appearance of a high mileage engine, Not a newly built engine in there opinion.
I sure hope after all this time, They send me a new engine which I will pay and tell me good news on Tuesday, I certainy heard bad things about them here on the web. But Will see.
 10th of Dec, 2010 by   MarshallEnginesSuck 0 Votes
Marshall Engine do suck and the company is even worse to deal with! They Lie.
Purchased engine from Marshall a few years ago installed by ASE certified mechanic. While still in warranty the engine showed signs of failing. Took truck to my certified mechanic who installed the engine and always performed preventative maintenance. He filed the warranty claim with Marshall. They told him it was still in warranty and to replace the PCV valve based on problems with engine. Had that done. Still the engine problems persisted. Marshall techs were very unresponsive when we tried to contact for next step. They requested several extensive tests be run. Mechanic reported results. Then Marshall requested we change intake manifold and gasket. We did and engine problems still persisted. Marshall requested running more tests. After results were reported they wanted me to have the engine taken out and shipped to them in Kearney NE. We did reluctantly because my truck was already in and out of the shop for several months during this whole process. I knew it would be without an engine for at least a month. But their techs talked to me and stated that they beleived the issue was a faulty engine and it would surely be replaced. I went along because it was under warranty.
Today after trying to get an answer on the inspection for a few days they stated that the claim is denied. I was shocked - We did everything they wanted us to do - gave them all the test results, etc.. They claim that it was an improperly installed or cracked intake manifold gasket causing the issues. This is a joke. When replacing the engine originally my certified mechanic replaced the old intake and gasket with brand new set. Then again when they requested to change it again. The mechanic is very good and I have been going to him for many years. It is hard for me to beleive that it would be his fault especially if it was replaced twice.
The last several months to years that this warranty has been going on has been a nightmare. Marshall was slow to respond and communicate. I had to wait on hold over 30 minutes several times just to keep the process going. This process has also costed me more than the warranty would ever cover with lost time with truck in shop, phone minutes, work time, frustration. I am not a scam artist - I am a normal hard working person expecting a company to live up to their warranty. Instead I have been put through the wringer over and over again.
The icing on the cake is that today when I was notified that my claim was denied after all of the above - they told me that my engine was totally disassembled and that I could come get it or pay for a freight company to pick it up for $150. So not only did they deny a valid warranty claim - they also told me to ship my engine to Kearney, NE so they could take it apart and leave it in parts. They are probably going to repackage it for the next sucker in line.
 10th of Dec, 2010 by   440 MOPAR 1800 MILE ENGINE 0 Votes
I too have gone through Marshall and had hope they replace my engine. 1800 miles and lower end went out.
I reported to them on start up that rear main oil seal went, They said replace it. Well 2 more rear oil seals went less than 1800 miles, then the lower end crankshaft went. So there was a problem with the lower end from the beginning. I reported to them the problem and did al there tests. And after my engine all disassembled am told exactly the same thing, DENIED.
My mechanic said when the engine came out, it is a poorly built engine. Buyer beware. Marshall engines will not stand up to there engines.
 22nd of Jan, 2011 by   supdty93 0 Votes
I have to say that this is a pretty disparaging commentary on a company from the heartland of America. It sounds like complaints you would hear from engines being rebuilt from mexico. I was looking into purchasing a 7.3L Diesel from them . Why? Because the price is right, figuring they can remanufacture an engine at cheaper costs in NE than in the high cost employment zones. But after reading how they screwed a serviceman, I wouldn't buy a gasket off of them. Piss Off Marshall!
 8th of Feb, 2011 by   bobsrealty +2 Votes
On April 16, 2010 I ordered a Blueprint SB Chevy 383 . I based my decision to purchase this engine on the 3 year warranty offered by Blueprint Engines (Marshall Engines). The engine was installed and was placed in to service in June 2010 on a Jeep CJ7 as part of an extensive restoration. I immediately began having problems with the engine and began filing warranty claims with Blueprint. 1st it as a bad lifter (they paid nothing), 2nd, it was a leaking rear main seal (they paid nothing), 3rd, it was a squeaking rocker arm . They offered to send me the same low quality Rocker Arms as what was causing problems. (they paid nothing). After a total 2000 miles on the new engine I began noticing a loud noise from the engine block and it was determined that it was ”Piston Slap” (excessive piston sidewall clearance). I contacted Blueprint and was advised by them to remove & send the engine to them so that they could determine the cause of the problem. After paying the cost involved to remove the engine, the engine was sent to them and my warranty claim was denied. Blueprint stated that the cause of the engine failure was the aftermarket Eledbrock valve covers that had rubbed against the rocker arms causing an abrasive in the oil supply which lead to bearing failure and scratching internal components. This explanation does not seem plausible to my mechanic and I. I used the recommended oil during break-in and I changed the oil at the initial 500 miles to a Synthetic oil and did not see any shavings etc. in the old oil. Blueprint has requested that I pay them for shipping back the damaged engine to me or the parts will be disposed of as they see fit. I am now out over $3200 plus the installation ($800) and removal of the bad engine ($700) (not to mention the parts & labor stated above ($900 including parts and labor). I did some research with the Better Business Bureau and found that Marshall Engines has an "F" rating with the BBB in Nebraska (see below). Here is the link to Marshall Engines Better Business Bureau listing: http://www.bbb.org/nebraska/business-reviews/engines-rebuild-and-exchange/marshall-engines-in-kearney-ne-105001270
You will see that they have an extensive complaint history.
Sincerely,
Bob Evans
 9th of Feb, 2011 by   440 MOPAR 1800 MILE ENGINE 0 Votes
Hi Bob, Im going through the same as you, Spent loads on install, removal, etc. And Marshall engines has shot me down and said Im warrantied etc, and then 6 months later pull something out of there hat and say Im not warrantied, for there excuse with you saying it was your valve covers is quite wrong, I was shot down by them 7 months after the claim, took that long for them to tell me no go. Sending photos, engine teardown, more photos and then they say one heat tab is slightly melted so warranty is voided. And they never talked to me since with phone calls or emails I sent to them. Best thing I see is let everyone know that Marshall engines is corrupt sells junk engines, and do not care for the customer. I drove 1800 miles driving it easy and engine blows itself. I should be warrantied as Bob Evans. Only thing I can do now is go to court, get my money back, and let people know to beware of a bad engine shop called Marshall Engines. Im in the USAF 25 years and counting, and being overseas I cant simply pick up another engine. They have not served me well, and I am letting Advance Auto parts know and Rockauto parts know that dealing with there engines is bad business.
The power of the internet and writing to stars and stripes and other newspapers etc will eventually shut down that business, which they deserve for not honoring there warranty claims.
 15th of Feb, 2011 by   ronmack1 0 Votes
Certainly glad I found this site, I was considering one of their engines. NOT NOW!
 19th of Mar, 2011 by   1990 jeep 0 Votes
Man do I feel stupid. I bought a Marshall engine through RockAuto. I called both companies and sent pictures before I ordered to make sure I was purchasing the correct engine. Wen I got the engine it was the wrong one apparently neither of the companies knew that there was a V- belt app on a serp belt engine for a 90 2.5 Jeep Wrangler. Check out Rock Auto 1990 Jeep Wrangler long block they have 3 apps 2 serps and 1 v belt. The V-belt app has a long cranck snout 2.5" mine was 2.05". Marshall had me sned mine and said they would rebuild it. They held onto it for two weeks then sent me a different engine. I called them on it and got hot air. Should have known what I was getting into. After installing the engine myself with an entirely new cooling system and exhuast system plus all new parts all new sensors and even the fan clutch. All the parts cost more then the engine. After I installed the engine 10 after receiving the engine but 2.5 months after paying for it I started it up. First thing I heard was a knock. I called Marshall and said I hoped it would be an octane knock since some of the gas was over six months. The car now has 300 miles and is getting worse. Marshall wants me do do whateveryone else has been told to do so they can send me the parts. Since I did nto have a ASE tech install it they won't pay for labor. I told them that a tech looked at it and said no way is that from you installing it. The engine was primed correctly, but it sounds like a bad valve. I told them they were picking and choosing how to work the system professional install labor covered no profressional install parts only. Parts only is not warranting the engine. If you don't cover the labor to have it fixed then your not covering the engine. After reading this post it seems that everyone has the same parts problems. I only hope that the credit card disput comes through. i am sending the BBB printout as well as this board and others. I am also sending the Marshall Engines warranty page that is on the website. The website states Not complicated- just comprehensive and valuable it also states 36 month or 100, 000 miles which ever is first. The detailed warranty is included when you get the engine and it is to later to return it unless you pay. No way am I sending my engine back to be inspected. It may cost another $700.00 - $1, 000 to fix it but at least I have an engine to work on. Don't buy from them.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   Allen T 0 Votes
I can relate with all these complaints!! Got a 7.3l diesel from these clowns that would not hold 10 lbs. of oil pressure. Had 3 different techs check the pressure with 3 different gauges and they all agreed with the shop owner.Engine was in a van so it was not an easy installation.Had the engine in and out of the van 3 times.Changed oil pump and all related items.Marshall finnaly sent me another engine after 2 months of fighting with them.Replacement engine was a little better, but not much.Then came time for a labor claim and they said the original new engine held 40 lbs of pressure after the checked it out.Also said the cylinders were not scored at all and I had personally seen that they were.Now they are saying they are not paying for any of it!!! This palce is a joke of a machine shop and I strongly suggest NO ONE buy anything from them.Do not know how this place stays in business.GO JASPER!!!
 30th of Apr, 2011 by   Dean Langille 0 Votes
Just submitted my crazy ordeal with Marshall Engines. Dean L. from Ontario.
 17th of Jan, 2012 by   Joe Kub 0 Votes
I bought a transmission for a 2001 Impala that was a Marshall transmission sold by Schlock (Rock) Auto. To make matters more complicated, Marshall jobs out the transmission, which is rebuilt by Transmission I bought a transmission for a 2001 Impala that was a Marshall transmission sold by Schlock (Rock) Auto. To make matters more complicated, Marshall jobs out the transmission, which is rebuilt by Transmission Remanufacturing Company (TRC) of Kent, WA. First transmission failed in three months. Second transmission sounded like it had marbles rolling around inside. Fail. The third transmission that was promised by Bob at TRC to be “perfect” still bangs into first gear when rolling fast to a stop. The first two had this problem also, and this was repeatedly discussed, so TRC knew this was unacceptable. It took the threat of sending my well documented complaint to the Nebraska State Attorney General’s Office (I faxed Marshall all my documentation that was ready to send), before I finally got a check to cover the re-installation costs for transmission two. All three companies make better stooges than the 3 Stooges. Rock Auto wouldn’t help me in any least way when I asked them to pressure Marshall to pay up for their mistake. Beware of buying from Rock Auto because of their “good deals” –they sell crap and leave you twisting in the wind if you ever need them. Stick with your local big box parts supplier – at least you can get satisfaction by griping to them in person. Marshall Engines are a bunch of incompetents – I had call after call from clueless customer service people regarding my warranty claim, telling me how much they wanted to help, and doing nothing. Transmission Remanufacturing Company of Kent, WA is a complete joke – I wouldn’t let them rebuild my go-cart transmission. Stay far away from these three companies!
 21st of Aug, 2012 by   B Nova 0 Votes
Bought the 355 dressed engine from them.Well installed it and started up fine, but thats the start of a long story.after about 30 miles of driving a strange sound started comming from the new engine .Well rocker arms were said to be somewhat scored from lack of oil [BAD SIGN}, So new rockers and guide plates were sent to me to be put in by me. Hummmm no labor was costs were offered to me . So in go the rockers and guide plates, still the noise was in the engine. Was told it may be dizzy has bad bushings or something.So in goes a dizzy i had bought for my old engine .So far i havent had time to finish it and get it started. I guess where im going with this is i thought i was getting a turn key engine for my ride. So far the only key im turning is the one to my tool box to get out the tools needed to repair a new engine. I had second thought before i bought this engine, but i made the mistake of trying to do things the easy way and it backfired. Before i forget i even had to drive well over a 100 miles to pick the enging up. The shipper they used didnt deliver in my area so i had to take a day off from work to go pick it up. Off goes the 355 engine to a local machine shop to get this clunker running .3400.00 engine going to cost around a 1000.00 just to get it so it might run a while. Pretty sad way to do bussiness with people .Going to write a letter to Jegs, Summit, and others so maybe they will stop selling these poor excuses of a rebuilt engine. Maybe if they read the letters i will be sending out, they would take this engine back .And send a full refund of my hard earned money .Photos of bad parts to come soon.
 6th of Jun, 2013 by   Frank Sieber 0 Votes
383 Blue Print engine Installed it in my 68 nova had a noise from the beginning. Called them "Ken" told me I had an exhaust leak. I've been doing this work since 1978 & have had my own shop since 1990. This was no exhaust leak. More like a wrist pin or skirt to bore problem "No you have an exhaust leak" I was told. I pulled the POS & took the pan off . I was not impressed at all, very poor attention to detail. I did not send it back. I don't have the time to deal with Idiots. So I'm building it myself (like I should have done to begin with) I knew not to send some stranger hard earned $$ hoping to get a decent motor, was just pressed for time. Now I've got an expensive lesson learned. I wouldn't let Ken & that bunch at blue print work on my wheel barrow. Sincerely, Frank Sieber.
 8th of Aug, 2013 by   bryno 496 0 Votes
almost 3 years i'v been dealing with these yahoo's on a 496, 6900 dollar mistake this company worse than my ex wife... 3rd motor should be here in 2 weeks.
 21st of Nov, 2013 by   Steven G. 0 Votes
I had problems with a Marshall engine, as well. It is a 350 I put in a 1971 Chevy C10 pickup. It has ALWAYS leaked motor oil like a screen door in a submarine. I had a valve go bad early on and when I talked to them in warranty I knew immediately I was going to have a problem with a claim. Their attitude changed when I told them my problem and they were very short with me. My mechanic pressured the dealer I bought the engine from and the dealer got Marshall to send me two new heads, one for each side. I haven't had any more problems except for the high cost of pouring oil in the motor and the oil slick I leave everywhere I go. I have finally worn the engine out and will have it rebuilt locally.

"Classic Trucks" magazine has an article in the January, 2014 issue about a C10 engine swap. They reviewed an engine from Blueprint Engines which is actually a Marshall Engines company. I e-mailed "Classic Trucks" about Marshall Engines BBB "F" rating and told them I was going to subscribe to their magazine but I am not sure that I will now since they are promoting this company.

You are on your own if you do business with either Marshall Engines or Blueprint Engines, in my opinion.
 12th of Jan, 2014 by   elpalmer 0 Votes
We also have a very poor quality marshall engine and have been put through the same customer torture experience. They won't even respond to our queries. The short version of this is not to vent here but to inform that we are preparing to go to the next step which is the Nebraska AG and file for litigation. We are confident they will blow it off as all others have encountered here and we will have to sue in small claims or maybe class action. We would like to combine our claim with others if possible to and bring such a suit that would force them to remunerate us all for our troubles, including damages for the mental anguish. The evidence is very clear that they are predictable in their business behavior in most of our cases. Our contact info epalme1@hotmail.com Email me back quickly so we can decide which direction to pursue as we would like to inflict as much swift, unforeseen legal trauma as possible. Give them what they deserve. epalme1@hotmail.com. Way beyond upset and now in focused damages recovery mode. (and we have consulted with our attorney) Thanks for your time and spread our message as I think we need as much response as we can get for this to be effective as the BBB is a joke and Marshall refuses to answer the complaints there. When we filed with the BBB there were 54 outstanding cases at that time. We Remain...epalme1@hotmail.com

5 Tips for Your 2009 Tax Return