logo

Terrible Customer Service

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Kimball Hill Homes Complaints & Reviews - Do not buy a home from kimball hill homes!

Kimball Hill Homes Contacts & Informations

Kimball Hill Homes

Posted:    arodda

Do not buy a home from kimball hill homes!

My husband and I had a TERRIBLE experience there. We signed a contact to build a new home in March, 2006. We were pre approved for a loan with the mortgage company affiliated with Kimball Hill Homes, KH Financial. We wrote an initial check to them for $1000 at that time. We wrote two additional checks on scheduled dates, each for $2500. When we wrote the last check, I had asked our sales person, Betty Prejzner, if our money would be returned to us if something happened to our financial situation, and we were unable to obtain the financing. She told us that it would be “No problem, no problem, at all. Don’t worry.” Of course, then, there was a problem…I lost my job, and we no longer qualified for the loan. I wouldn’t put my current home on the market, worried that it would sell, and I wouldn’t have anywhere to live. It would have been insane of us to put ourselves in that position. I was denied by the lender when they updated their documents, and called our sales person, Betty, to get our $6000 back. I was told she would talk to her manager to see what she could do. I called many times over the next few weeks, only to be told she was not in, or, when I rarely did get a hold of her, I was told that she was unable to get a hold of her manager. Finally, on July 10, 2006, Betty left me a message stating that our “request” to get our earnest money back was denied by her corporate office, and they would not be refunding our earnest money to us. My husband and I are beside ourselves. I will continue to fight this matter, taking it to the Kimball Hill corporate office, and to Mr. David K. Hill, himself. I hope that Mr. David K. Hill does not approve of the sales tactics his sales people are using.

It will take us years to save that money again, and our dreams of building a new home have been crushed. We were very sad when we knew we would not be able to buy the new home, but said we would go back to them once we got back on our feet, thinking we would get our money back, as promised.

I have been grossly mislead, and misrepresented by Betty Prejzner, Kimball Hill Homes Sales Consultant, Edgewater Subdivision, Shorewood, Illinois. I would never have given the final check to them, had I known then what I know now, as I knew things were a little shaky at my place of employment. That way, I would only be out $3500, instead of $6000. Either way, it’s a lot of money, and I plan on getting it back.

I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THIS HAPPENED TO….there is another complaint from 2005 on this website as well.

DO NOT BUY A HOME FROM KIMBALL HILL HOMES!!!!!!!!!

Kimball Hill Homes, Shorewood, Illinois, Edgewater Subdivision is a fairly large builder in Illinois for single family homes.
Comments United States Real Estate
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Sep, 2007 by   Kevin Goff 0 Votes
My wife and I had about the same thing happen to us in Houston with Jane Akers. We put a deposit of 3,000 and had to give an other deposit of 4,171 for the design costs. We asked her several times if for whatever reason we had to cancel would we get it back? She said as long as we had a good reason for the cancelation we should get back all our money minus the 400 design fee.

My wife was not able to get a transfer with her company the way we had planned and we had to cancel our house instead of her giving up her job. After waiting several weeks we finally received a check for 2,600 and a letter saying Kimball Hill was not obligated to refund our deposite but as an accommodation to us here is a check for 2600.

My wife and I had been happy with the way things were going for the most part with the home, and were thinking about buying another home in Austin where we live with Kimball. Now this whole matter has us soured to the whole home buying experience!
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by   Libby Sampson 0 Votes
I would just like to ask what the actual contract that you signed with the builder stated and if you fully read and understood it before you signed it. Many builders have clauses in their contracts that fully explain what are 'good' reasons for deposits and other monies that are collected to be refunded. Keep in mind that your builder, whoever they are, is putting up all of the money to build the home with your criteria and on your time frame. When a contract is canceled, there are costs that the builder still has to incur and that is why they specify exactly what is refundable and what is not and for what reasons. The fact that someone loses their job, doesn't get the transfer they planned or even can't sell their existing home is not the fault of the builder, so should they have to pay the price just because they have more money (which in turn gets passed along to us all with higher prices)? The bottom line is make absolutely sure that you read every part of the contract before you sign it so that you aren't relying on someone's word alone to get a refund, warranty service, etc. Also, you have a legal leg to stand on if you don't get what is promised to you when you get it in writing.
 25th of Jan, 2008 by   Christina Wiener 0 Votes
We had a bad experience with Kimball Hill Homes. From the time we first talked to our salesman Jose in the Bridgewater Community in Katy, Texas was all lies. Every word that came out of this man's mouth was a lie. He told us when we went to the design gallery, we would have to pay a percentage but after we picked out all our upgrades, we were told something completely different. The girl at the Design Gallery was rude and said "Is this what you want because I have to meet some friends at the bar". She was not professional at all. There were so many lies we were told by Kimball Hill Homes. The day we were supposed to close was the day we found out we didn't get the house we wanted to start our family in. We called Kh Financial to see why we did not get approved and they told us that they denied us 3 weeks before our closing, but no one told us that until our closing date. As well, as no explanation on why we were not approved. We had our old house all packed up, rented the u-haul. Then our salesman gave out our Social Security number without our permission to another leader to run our credit to see if maybe they could approve us. I told them were to go after I got my money back from them! They are shady people over there in Bridgewater. Don't ever buy a home though Kimball Hill Homes!!! They ruined a family dream of having there first home to start a family in.
 29th of Jan, 2008 by   XRC79 0 Votes
Christina. I totally disagree with you about Jose in Bridgewater Community in Katy Texas. He was always very straight forward with us about everything. Good or bad news he always let us know what was going on with the home. The loan part of it was not in his hands but he always tried to give us as much info as he got from the finance company. There where some things that Jose told us that had changed at the design center but Jose had not been informed. I to was denied a loan but it was not without an explanation. It was actually my own fault. I did serveral things that I was advised from the begining not to do. For starters I spent the money that I was supposed to keep in the bank for the closing. Then to top it all off I did not send off all my payments on time. I sent one credit card payment late. In the end with these factors my loan was denied. I understand your frustration because I have been there but you should not take it out on the person that tried to help you. I am sure that Jose did as much for you as he did for us. He always met with us late if we asked and always answered his cell no matter what time or day it was. It is sad that you vent yourself towards others when it is probably your fault. We are the drivers of our own detination.
 30th of Mar, 2008 by   rosanne 0 Votes
I am a realtor, would not take my client to Kimball Hill if I lost a sale because of it. Over the past many years, I have heard nothing goo about this company. I have had buyer's and sellers and new home purchasers come to me with horrible problems with this builder. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.
 31st of Mar, 2008 by   Isaac 0 Votes
Plus, their warranty of 2 years is a complete joke.
 25th of Apr, 2008 by   John 0 Votes
I have to offer these positive words about Kimball Hill Homes in the Lockeridge Farms development in Spring, Texas. The sales consultant, Kim Bardwell excells at being personable and professional. She's just excellent. Their building manager, Caesar Smith knows his "stuff" and oversees that KH builds a quality home. We had a third party inspector from Texas Inspection Services (which I highly recommend http://www.texaninspection.com/) do a three phase inspection for our home (foundation, pre-sheet rock, final) for our own protection. He said that the builder built an excellent house and he graded it with, "the best grade I give...you've got a good house." At least in Spring, Texas Kimball Hill is doing a great job and we are proud of our home.
 21st of May, 2008 by   joanne 0 Votes
I am sorry people have had financial downturns but no builder - I know I have built several homes - will return a deposit in full, especially in a good market. They have taken the lot off the market, perhaps pulled a permit(a costly proposition) and paid staff from the sales staff to corporate to process a sale which did not happen. Most builders charge much more down than Kimball Hill - you would be out a lot more with them.

We have built with builders more expensive than Kimball Hills and are happiest with our current Kimball Hill house which still appraises in the $700's than any we have previously owned. There is tons of architecure is in this 2 story that can not be added - as we added the bells and whistles post construction. Granted - the management of the company has changed in the last 4 years since we built so I can not speak to the current situation and hiring a CEO from garbage builder US Homes was a big mistake.

Again, I am sorry if people have experienced financial down turns and I wish you will but lets grow up. You entered a contact and the down payment was agreed upon. Other professionals charge cancellation fees as they have set aside their time. Do you somehow feel that is wrong as well? Should you be able to return a slightly used car for full price? Good luck in the future.
 17th of Jun, 2008 by   Michael 0 Votes
I bought a Kimball Hill home about 5 years ago and did not have too many problems. My biggest issue was that the sales person who sold me the home left the company soon after. Nobody else at the office seemed eager to help me because I was not their sale. So I made sure to constantly check with the finance comapny and build supervisor on my own. There were also some numbers issues at closing, so know what you need and what you are entitled to. My number one tip for anyone buying a new home through any home builder: Bring your own real estate agent to act on your behalf.

Also, as far as the warranty went, I always recieved a response the same day I filed the claim and it was taken care of within a week.
 18th of Jul, 2008 by   Belinda Cornejo 0 Votes
I am so sorry about your situation and hope that you can find some other lending companies to help you out. I will definitely not look into building with Kimball after all these issues of concerns, so I appreciate your time in letting others know about your negative experience and good luck to you.
 27th of Jul, 2008 by   LALA 0 Votes
you need to keep all your nasty coments to yourself.I look up to him and i love him, hes my hero.Dont ever put comments like these on internet this is horrible to do.Im not only sticking up for him because i love hiom but because you dont do this.Talk bad about somone.Thats just sick.Nothing but sick.
 20th of Aug, 2008 by   LALA 0 Votes
You are messed up in to many ways to count.Would you like it if i went and made a hate club for you!?!?!
 21st of Nov, 2008 by   Sean 0 Votes
I work for Kimball Hill Homes, and I can understand your how you feel. I have purchased many homes in my life. Every home I have purchased said that they do not have to give you any thing back. However most builders will give you your earnest money back but they dont have to give you back the money on the options. Remember not everyone is going to like your style and the builder may have to change things after cut offs.

These is not just a pracitice of Kimball Hill Homes but all builders. Also when you give your earnest money on a resales home and you cancel after 3 days they dont have to give it back either. BUT please check with a realtor in your area for details. Not all states are the same.
 21st of Nov, 2008 by   Mellisa 0 Votes
I purchased my brand new built Kimball Hill home in Lakewood Ranch Fl in 2007 with an agreement that they signed that they would repair my counters due to cracks.One year later and alot of going back and forth they hired out a company that not only did a really bad job but could care less of there work.Kimball Hill doesnt care what I have to say and wont fix this problem.I even complained to the corporate what a joke They offered to pay me less then half of what its going to cost me to repair.Do not I repeat do not purchase from Kimball Hill it was the biggest mistake I have ever made.They are dishonest and once you sign on the dotted line everything they said they would do they won't.
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by   San Chucy -1 Votes
YOU GUYS ARE DUMB FUCKS! AHH HA HA!!!
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   pfcc64 0 Votes
Edgewater Subdivision in Shorewood is a great place to live!
Had multiple repairs done by them and were acceptable in response time and quality.

Kimball Hill like many other builders are strugling with the economy. If I had a chance to go back in time I would still buy in this subdivision.

Good luck to you all.
 17th of May, 2009 by   delldarby +1 Votes
I Love my kimball hill home, the saleswoman was a complete liar. she promised free upgrades to be issued after the closing date then denied it. Make sure that you have everything in writting before accpting a sales person promise.

Tips How to Save Money on Gasoline