JC Penney Optical

4.5
JC Penney
Aurora, Illinois
Phone: 630-851-0305
I needed new glasses in a hurry, the "thick" metal frame around my lenses cracked at the corner and would no longer hold the lense. I had previously purchased this pair and another pair of glasses from JC Penney and thought I might try them again. I looked online and saw that they had a special of 2 pair of glasses for $129, for frames valued up to $130/pr. I looked online to see what frames they had available, and found several, however, when I called my local JC Penney, they informed me that they only had one of the the three frames I selected and only in pink. I asked how much the frames were that they did have, well they were $159, so I made the appointment for the exam.

Everything was fine except when it came to selecting the frames and settling the bill. The only frames available @ $130 or less were of subpar quality at best so I wound up purchasing frames @ $230 and $160, plus $30/pr for lineless bifocals, and asked them to be expedited because I could not continue wearing glasses secured with a rubberband around the lense. I asked the sales person to explain the break-down of my now $318 bill, a far cry from $130 (not including the exam mind you). I didn't feel the sales person was very qualified to mark my lenses for the location of the bifocal, because she couldn't figure out how to expedite my glasses on the computer system, nor could she explain the details of my bill. She assured me that she would expedite my glasses "manually" by leaving her manager a note. Well needless to say, the glasses were not expedited, as the manager explained to me that once it's in the computer, the shipment of glasses couldn't be changed. The glassses were "hostage" to whatever was put in the "computer" and the only way to get this done was to re-enter the order, for which the manager did not do, why I don't know, but she didn't.

I received a call from JCP Optical the next business day telling me that they couldn't get clarity of my insurance, in addition the $40 optical exam I was quoted on the phone and ultimately had, would now cost me $85, with a ten dollar discount so it would only be $75. Asked for the manager, she told me the salesperson made a mistake and in fact it would be $40 as I had been quoted previously. The only reason I didn't pay for it when I had the exam is because the salesperson could figure out what phone number to call on the back of my insurance card, and when she did the offices were closed.

The manager asked that I call back on Monday to check the status of my glasses as she would do her level best to get my glasses to me in FOUR BUSINESS DAYS, as I had been promised. Well, I called on Monday, my glasses should be to me on Tuesday evening or Wednesday, however the proceeds to tell me that they might be ready on FRIDAY! She says this almost laughing, so much so that I commented on the fact that I know she thinks this is funny, but it is not.

My hands are tied, I am forced to walked around with rubberbanded lenses, for NINE DAYS hopefully, less. The manager asked that I call back tomorrow to check the status.

Signed,

So mad I can't see straight (literally)
Complaint comments Comments (55) Complaint country United States Complaint category Vision, Glasses, Lenses

Comments

21st of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes

JCPenney - Terrible service
JCpenney
www.jcpenney.com

I bought the sofa on 2/23/08, the company told that I would receive the item in 8-10 weeks. Now is 4 months pass and I still not receiving it. Every time I call the department and they give me another date of delivering but never true. They shouldn't promise the customers if they don't have the item in stock. This company is totally a liar, I'll never buy furnitures in this JCpenny again. I rather spend more money to buy elsewhere.
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

JC Penney - late fee

I tried talking to someone whose name began with a "d" but he was someplace in India and i could't understand him. He said something about yes he could take off the late fee but there was a catch--and that I didn't understand Of all the people in the US looking for work why is this shippe to India I am not sure I want to use J C Penney any more
 28th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

J.C.Pennys - jewelry fraud
Pennys
Clearwater Beach
Florida

I purchased a1/2 ct diamond pendant, original price at the time was 1000.00, got on sale with tax for 861.00 a couple of years ago. I only have bank statement of transaction.

anyway we have had a terrible downfall in our lives and I was sacrificing my jewelry, and found out it wasnt a 1/2 ct, only 4.4 and that it wasnt worth 200.00, poor quality!!!

How can Pennys do that to a customer by high markups on bad quality... and advertise to be a 1/2 ct, and its not.

I think I should be refunded...If not not I will make sure that the
public know of the poor standards you have. this is a FRAUD towards customers.

I want some action done on this. My family is in need of funding, and this was a big let down that my pendant is practically a fake!!!

Mireille Dalman
 16th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN PAID OFF AND CLOSED FOR ABOUT 8-9 YEARS I WOULD NEVER REOPEN ANOTHER ACCOUNT THAT I HAVE PAID OFF AND CLOSED, IT JUST DEFEATS THE PURPOSE.

NANCY M GREAVES
 20th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

JCPenney - order scew ups
JCPenny
West Grand Avenue
Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin

I ordered an electric blanket in "natural" color. I was told on the phone by a lady who totally lacked sense of the english language (she said she was in MANILA!) that it would come into our local store. When it came in, it was putrid purple! The lady at the Wisc. Rapids store, said she would reorder a correct color one for me. She had NO idea on how to work their cash register which also does the ordering. She tried one then another. I know Penny's has crap for computer systems because several years ago I tried working for them. Besides having a pervert for a store manager, the computer system they had then was crap. They have the cheapest systems you can get and no one stays working for the company because they pay so little and treat you like dirt. AFter a half hour, I left the store and the clerk was STILL trying to order the electric blanket for me!!! Finally I just left. A while later another clerk called me and asked if I still wanted to order the blanket! I said forget it, and ordered one on the internet from another company. Today I trew out every Penny's catalogue I have!!!
 19th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes

J C Penny's / SBS Fun Family Rewards - Charge Credit Card / Checking Account without Authorizing
SBS Fun Family Rewards
Pennsylvania

When a purchase was made through the J.C. Penny's web site, an offer for a $10 dollar discount was offered and as such an authorization to enter into the SBS Fun Family Rewards program, which charges your credit card or your checking account a $9.95 charge each month, automatically strats up.

You need to call SBS Fun Family and speak to the cocky people on the phone to have your account cancelled. Call 1-888-527-6839, M-F 8am-8pm, Sat. 8am-2pm, CST.
They have a web site - https://www.funfamilyrewards.com
 20th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
At Fun Family Rewards nothing is more important than our customers' satisfaction and our Company's reputation. We take pride in researching and responding to customer concerns. If you would like for us to research your concerns, please forward your information, such as name, address, phone number or membership number to us at custrel@aegonusa.com, by fax to 972-881-4072 or by mail to 2700 West Plano Parkway, Plano TX 75075.
 10th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Bath Rug And Towels - Bath rug and towels
JC Penny
Pier Bossier Mall
Shreveport
Louisiana

The bath rugs and towels from india in jc penny changed colors and the threads came out.
 24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

JC Penney's - Photos
Pennsylvania

My 6th month old granddaughter had her photos taken at JC Penney, so I purchased the CD that contained all of the photos (13 in all). The photos were cute and well done, but the CD, at $70, is only that. I cannot view it on my Kodak Easy Share photo frame; I cannot enlarge the photos to print them (they are smaller than wallet size); I cannot upload them to any website for printing; I cannot upload the photos to use in photo books or flip books; I can't use one of the photos as my screensaver. In other words, if I want a print, I still have to buy it and the print is just that, a print.

So what's the advantage of buying the CD. There is none. DON"T BUY the PENNEY'S PHOTO CD -- it's a waste of $70.
 31st of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes

JC Penney website - &Free& shipping
JC Penney website

"Free shipping on orders of $49 or more" is a scam. They charge you shipping if you order a clearance item, even if your non-clearance items cost more than $49. And they don't show the shipping charge until the next day. Scam.
 18th of Sep, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Whoa...I'm right there with you on this. JCPenny Optical is the 'worst' and I will never do business with them again.
You'd think I'd learn but I went back and over the past have spent a ridiculous amount of money on so-called specials AND having to return glasses because the lenses chipped out (twice) and 'now' they tell me that those frames I picked out originally can only have the 'pricey' carbon-something lenses. Never have they offered even a cent of reconciliation.
There specials are a joke. Half off everything! So...If I'd have paid full price, every pair of glasses I bought would've been between $500-600. OMG...!
Every pair that I've bought from them (total six pr), the lenses have popped out. They never stay in. The lenses themselves don't even fit the frames that I buy.
Regardless...I'm done with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
signed,
Stupid JCPenny Optical consumer (I admit it...)
 28th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
did the samething to me
 4th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Jcpennys - Unauthorize
Montgomery
Alabama

I have been charged 9.95 every month since July. I ordered something online for my son @ jc pennys but never authorized nothing to be charged. I'm just finding out what it is and somebody really need to fix it. I will report this and JC Penneys will be closed down if they dont get this in order.
 4th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Sorry but you cannot have an entire dept. store shut down because of an unauthorized transaction on your credit card. It can be one of two things. Someone used your card to purchase something, you unknowingly signed up for a monthly service, or there is some sort of error. Any of these can be easily corrected. I work in credit card services. But to say the store would be shut down is not possible in this case. Sorry.
 14th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

J.C. Penney Company, Inc. - Misled By Sales Rep

Simply stated: My wife and I ordered blackout blinds for for our newborn's room, very clearly stating we needed blackout blinds. We purchased what the sales rep advised based upon our requests for $300. The order arrived, and the shades/blinds are the furthest thing from blackout than one could imagine. They allow in vast amounts of light. JC Penney insists it is my issue now, as they do not refund or fix special orders like this. I have sent them photos which clearly indicate the blinds do not block light, refusing to work with me.

How is that we are being held responsible after making our request very clear, then going with the recommendation of the sales rep? If the reps don't know their products, or if their vendors misrepresent their product, we the customers should not be held accountable.

28th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I purcashed tri focal eye glasses which I have wore for 30 years with no problems. These lines are right across the
center of my eye. I have to put my head down to watch tv. I was told those lines are exactly where they are
suppose to be by the book. They are still blurry out about a foot. I got them at jc penny store in alton illinois.
The only frames she showed me were gold, well I picked out one, when I look in the mirror I see gold flashing
at me. I went back and ask if they came in silver or another color. She said that was the only frame that would
fit these lens. I am not too happy. She said not many people can wear tri focals, I can understand why if the
lines are where these are. So I am stuck with them.
 8th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I am still waiting for my bifocals. Initially I ordered a pair of progressive lens glasses and was told they would be ready in two - three weeks. About two weeks later I was called and told that the glasses were in.

I went in for the fitting and was told that if I had trouble adjusting to them I could bring them back and exchange them. About a week later I did so, requesting regular lined bifocals. Told they would be ready in two - three weeks. So far so good.

It has now been nearly SEVEN weeks and the glasses are still "not in". About a week and a half ago the manager said (after my second call) that they were now ready and shipping from the lab and would be in the next day.

Lo and behold, the next day when I called she said that the lab had discovered a problem during quality control and they needed to be redone. I was asked to call back in a week.

The week ended today and I just called. Guess what? No glasses. She said she would call the lab and call me back. She just called and now they are ready and will be in tomorrow, or the next day.

All of the staff that I have dealt with have been polite, obviously JC Penny optical is mismanaged and inefficient. Almost two months for a pair a glasses to come in? Come on!
 17th of Dec, 2009 by    +1 Votes
KJA,

Apparently, you don't realize the cost of progressive lenses. $318 for 2 pairs of progressives (lineless trifocals) is a STEAL considering in most places they retail for about $350-$500+ just for the lenses, and this, of course, depending on the quality of progressive you opt for.

I've found that most people who 'complain' about salespeople, and pricing are usually under-educated consumers, who don't read the specifications of a 'sale' and then place the blame on sales staff, who, are there to sell you what you ask for, and do not set pricing.

Secondly, I know for a fact, from my experiences with JC Penney optical, that they, like most optical centers, do not allow you to use both insurance, and a sale price. It's double dipping.

Oh, and ABQ... pricey-carbon... I'm assuming you mean Polycarbonate, which is a relatively inexpensive lens... usually about a $60 price difference, and well worth that for the fact that it's thinner and doesn't crack.

...instead of bitching, why don't you all research your products, and have a "sale" explained to you before you assume what you want is included. Like anything else in this world, there's always fine print.

Signed
Visionista
*a happy, loyal, JCP optical customer for over 10+ years.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

JCPENNEY.COm - Quality of their merchandise has gone to the crapper
Jcpenney.com
jcpenney.com

Seriously, the quality of their merchandise has gone to the crapper. Seems like you might as well shop the Asian sites because it appears that's all they sell anymore!! What happened to American Products made by Americans? At least give the public the option!
 18th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

jcpennys - Unauthorize
Jcpennys
Dupont hwy
Dover
Delaware
Phone: 410-778-3276
bugsandpin@yahoo.com

I bought from you bedding which included the Bed spread, scurting, pillows, euro pillows . It has not been 2 months I paid over 200.00 for all this the scurtin has come apart, just about all the way around. the tazzles are all falling right off the pillows. I really love it, however I wood like to have you replace it. It is alot of money to have it all fall apart.

JCPenney Logo JCPenney