logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Gigats.com
Hijacked during online job application
2. (15 mins ago)
CHANNEL 7
Bruce mcavaney needs to go
3. (21 mins ago)
Chennai Govt. MTC buses - (formerly PTC)
Crowded buses & worst roads

Invention Promotion Contacts & Informations

Invention Promotion

Posted:    Cynthia

Fraud

Davison Design and Development, Inc.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
davison.com
Davison Design and Development Inc, aka Davison Associates, aka Davison Inventagration is a high-profile invention promotion company that has been featured on NBC, CBS, in a number of magazines, and on Ripley's Believe It or Not, mostly because of their truly innovative factory, called InventLand. They also advertise very heavily on the net and convenionally. They seem to be a model company. However, they have a very dark side.

Go to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) website, and search "Inventors". The first topic is "FTC News results for Inventors".
Click on "Invention Promoters Will Pay $10 Million to Settle FTC Charges", and read the article dated July 18, 2009. Davison was sued because their "development" charges far exceeded the returns for most of the clients who trusted them. In fact, after the settlement, most of these people will still not receive what they lost to Davison.

The article on the FTC web site also stipulates information Davison must post on all correspondence and web sites. Davison does supply it in correspondence, but it is not on the web site. Further, Davison shows 94 products they claim are receiving royalties for their inventors. If you investigate each product, you will see that most are developed by and licensed to Davison Design. The ones developed by individual investors are a distinct minority, and half of those have received no net profit. Since Davison claims to receive hundreds of submissions, one must ask what has become of all those other submissions, who are paying $15, 000 and more for Davison's "help".
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Feb, 2009 by   Cynthia 0 Votes
I would like to make an addition to my complaint. Please click on http://www.ftc.gov/os/a997/07/davisonb~1.htm for further legal briefs on this company. The brief is easy to read, free from legalese, and lays out the charges against Davison very clearly.

On his web site, Davison claims that they obtain an average of 10 licenses a month. He does not inform you that this includes licenses for his company's products. Between December 1989 and September 1996 the company obtained 435 licenses for products entrusted to them for "development That is an average of 5.37 a month. Of those 435, only FIVE realzed any profits above the fees paid Davison. (That is one every 16.1 months!)
 6th of Jul, 2009 by   jjs4you2 0 Votes
Like an idiot I outlined my idea to Davison, told them in detail what it is but never sent them my sketches or detailed computer renderings. Do I have to worry about them trying to license my idea and claim it's theirs? I have been worrying about this since I told them to take a hike after I saw their BBB record of 196 complaints with zero reconsiled over the last 6 montghs only! I never signed anything or sent them money but they do know about my idea in detail! Do I have anything to worry about or should I be doing something to back my idea up? I am in the process of getting a provisional Patent. Is this really the only way to protect myself without having to dig into my wallet?
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   54! 0 Votes
I'm so sorry to hear people spent $15, 000 with Davison. Here is what you get for $15, 000. A design completed in three hours and a prototype built in a day then stored forever in a trailer and not shown to anybody. jjs4you2, no you don't have to worry about Davison stealing your idea. They don't have to steal ideas when 200 people a month give them $15, 000 to produce nothing.
 28th of Mar, 2013 by   T. Meece 0 Votes
I am reading all of these comments and, quite honestly, am extremely hesitant about pursuing idea development with or having any further contact with this company. My main complaint regarding Davison is their repeated attempts to contact me, they put collection agencies to shame, and the lack of information they are willing to provide in writing, prior to discussing matters with their company's representative by phone. Pretty pictures and vague promises aren't enough information to make an informed decision. They have refused to send me any further information until I talk to their representative and that fact is enough to make one think that something shady is going on.
 22nd of May, 2014 by   sid the sloth 0 Votes
I notice all the same complaints and all around the same time frame.
The FTC ruling and subsequent fines all appear to have ended around 2009.
On the bottom of the emails I have received it says "A typical client invention is not licensed, sold in stores or profitable. Davison offers fee-based services."
What services do they offer if not products sold in stores along with a profit?
I suspect the disclaimer resolves all responsibility and further law suits.

ID Theft Still Persists