logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
dermajuve
add says try it free only pay shipping
2. (10 mins ago)
Investor Fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

HSN.com / Innova, Inc. / Ultrex Gourmet Quality Cookware Complaints & Reviews - Innova out of business according to HSN, All Ultrex Warranty are NOT supported

HSN.com / Innova, Inc. / Ultrex Gourmet Quality Cookware Contacts & Informations

HSN.com / Innova, Inc. / Ultrex Gourmet Quality Cookware

Posted:    Valerie

Innova out of business according to HSN, All Ultrex Warranty are NOT supported

I have purchased a 17 piece Ultrex Gourmet Quality Cookware set from HSN with a 50 year Warranty. After using the pots and pans, the teflon part of it started peeling off. I have attempted to contact HSN about the product and they could not find a record in their system using my home telephone number for 20 years that I have purchased the product. Ultrex has breached the Warranty of their Product. The product did not perform the quality as it was advertised on HSN show. I was hoping to get address or contact information for Innova, Inc.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Jan, 2009 by   Oldporkbutt +1 Votes
Well, Well, Well!!! Guess who I saw on Shop NBC tonight hocking pots and pans??????? Art Krull (sp?) the little man from HSN that got all of our hard earned money. Tomorrow I believe I shall give Shop NBC a quick call and ask why they would allow someone of that calibur on their show to sell anything. I too got stuck with some awful pots and pans that are useless to me just like everyone who got stuck with defective LIFE TIME WARRANTY that is only as good as the paper it is written on!!! Maybe I didn't believe the bull about 75 years, things wear out, but I did believe they should have lasted more than 6 months for some, and some did make it a year. I use some of mine now to feed out dog out of, and for his water pan. If anyone is able to get a class action lawsuit against HSN, or Mr. Get Outa Town Art let me know. The nerve of this guy selling pots and pans AGAIN. Didn't he rip enough of us OFF at HSN????
 7th of Jan, 2009 by   Heather 0 Votes
Hey everyone I completely agree. This is ridiculous I bought my cookware about 3yrs ago, and already peeling like crazy. I am a single mom of 2 disabled children. I can't afford to just go buy new pots and pans I spent over $200 on this cookware and had to do it with my income tax money. No I find out that my warrenty is no good CLASS ACTION COUNT ME IN just e-mail me at mommywoowoo@yahoo.com be sure to put in sugject about the cookware and the suit because I delete if I don't know where it came from. I think that HSN and ultrex should be at fault.
 11th of Jan, 2009 by   stevie"D" 0 Votes
Well I guess I'm not the only one that got hustled the the warranty claim ( which was the big seller to me). I have also sworn off HSNand I am vowing to buy only american made products. I've found what seems to be a viable set of cookware for us made by ALL clad $550 for a 10 pc. set and a lifetime limited warranty. I know, I know but a little research says this company has been in business since 1967 here in U.S. I am going to do my best to NOT purchase products made in china. I think we can all agree that have flooded our market with low cost, cheaply built, shoddy, poor quality, inferior junk, with meaningless warranties. If you shop around you can find the all clad sets with a few free pots or accessories and some free shipping. Take that HSN!
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   zeether 0 Votes
I bought Ultrex cookware and their pack n seal vacuum sealer product. The cookware is worn and the vacuum sealer doesn't work. Count me in on any class action suit.
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   Jen 0 Votes
I have a problem with my Ultrex pots and pans that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet. I was using my pan with one of the glass lids tonight. When I lifted the lid after a while, some of the condensation dripped off the lid and onto the stovetop and into the food. At closer inspection, I saw that the drips had what looked like a metallic, silver paint in them. I swiped my finger around the inside rim of the lid, and sure enough, my finger was covered in what looked like silver paint! I'm really nervous about this! Could this be lead, mercury, or something else really harmful?? Whatever it is it can't be good. If anyone else has had this problem, please comment. I'd love to get a hold of the company and ask them to address this. I would be interested if a class action suit were to come up against this company.
 1st of Feb, 2009 by   Dev Lopper 0 Votes
Get ahold of your state's Attoney General and file a complaint against HSN. If they don't care to stand behind the products they sell and promote, let's start the process of shutting them down.
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   paul menichelli 0 Votes
I ALSO GOT SCREWED BY HSN & ULTREX WITH THEIR CHINESE CRAP!
 19th of Feb, 2009 by   Dee 0 Votes
Add me to the list of dissatisfied customers; altho my set is about 10 years old. About a year ago we decided to try to exercise the warranty on a smaller skillet (probably used this one the most) that was peeling. My hubby found out they were out of business so the warranty was worthless. I threw that piece in the recycle bin and am close to pitching a couple more skillets. Sounds like I'm lucky mine have lasted this long. I'm done with HSN too.

What really worries me is the previous post that this 'Art' guy is hawking a different pot/pan on a different network. We should definitely email complaints about this guy's products to Shop NBC or whatever network he shows up on...particularly if he claims to be this company's president. He may be nothing more than a wholesaler for different cheap product. Think about it... if you have sent Ultrex pots back to that Iowa address in recent time and are getting a response of some kind... someone is there. They've probably just reorganized under a new company name.

Thanks for the honest complaints and info on the Ultrex warranty; and thanks to the poster for the recommendation on Allclad, I'll check them out. We all sure got schmoozed on Ultrex. I'm not sure HSN is any more responsible than Penney's, Sears or any other department store that sells a warrantied product; the warranty is usually with manufacturer not the retailer.
 19th of Feb, 2009 by   franklin 0 Votes
I to have bought the whole set of Ultrex and it is falling apart I would like to be on the list if anyone is going to do something about the warrenty.
 20th of Feb, 2009 by   dave 0 Votes
I waited for great cookware and now they are closed - I feel HSN should backup all products they sell on their SHOW all items!!!regardless they close or not they get paid when we buy this stuff?

Dave
 22nd of Feb, 2009 by   jaslady 0 Votes
I also bought, when they mentioned 50-55 yr. warranty, AND showed a man using a power sander on the surface, to prove stick-proof (believablity), and mine has NOT lasted 10 yrs. Flaking bad, and stained right away, was always very heavy, and I called it my GOOD pan (large fry pan-11" across). I think using the dishwasher (high heat of drying) may have contributed to rapid deteriation of "teflon" coating. Peeling is scary to think it is in food, and ingested! Funny how any company can give you a Lifetime guarantee, and that is their lifetime of being in business, so if tomorrow they are gone, so is the guarantee/warranty. Luck of the draw? HSN should give credit of being their customer, and suckered by their sales pitch, but as they don't seem to have records of knowing who you are after the sale, that alone speaks volumes! You can't even sue, if the company is bankrupt, or out of business! There is no recourse, just a life lesson. Oh well... HSN needs to make it right, by acknowledging problems with the product, and offering credit towards anything else.
 22nd of Feb, 2009 by   jenlsala 0 Votes
I too believed when HSN said you would never have to buy another set of pots and pans again! I bought the more expensive Ultrex II with the lifetime warrenty and was very upset when the nonstick began comming off into my food just a few years after I purchased it. I too called HSN for a replacement reciept having lost mine in a move, and was told they did not have records that far back (maybe three years). I do think HSN should hold some resposibility for this because they backed the product, sold it, and claimed the same lifetime warranty for them. I will no longer buy from HSN because they have backed an unreputable company and cost me hundreds of dollars my family of seven cant afford! I would be right there with anyone interested in a class action lawsuit against either company!
jenlsala, CA
 26th of Feb, 2009 by   Dawn 0 Votes
Ultrex was the first purchase I ever made on HSN - In the presentations HSN always said " They tested the Ultrex cookware non-stick coating with a sander to prove it would last and showed the pan they claimed to have run the test on." Both HSN and Ultrex reps stated there was a 25 year guarantee on the Ultrx I and when Ultrx II arrived they said it had a 50 year guarrantee. HSN reps tested it and HSN test results were presented as proof it would last for the guarantee period and often stated "This cookware will last a liftime, it is the last cookware purchase you will ever need, etc. It sounded like HSN was guaranteeing to me!
I invested about $400 in this cookware and the non-stick coatings no longer keep food from sticking even after freshly seasoning the pan. When calling HSN about returning the Ultrex, I was told HSN is not guarranteeing the cookware as I was rushed off the phone. It seem fraudulent for HSN to make all those guarrantees on TV - I think they're afraid of all the money they would have to refund if customers refused to take no for an answer. I tink I may just go ahead and return the cookware to HSN with a letter demanding they stand by their promises.
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   Caveat Emptor 0 Votes
I bought the Ultrex/Innova set about 10 or 11 years ago. I think the only reason I've lost only 1 handle in that time is that I prevented my son from overheating it. I didn't get the teflon-type pans. They are all stainless and they darken in places, but have generally performed fairly well.

I am shocked that HSN hasn't made good on the warranty; I would love to get the "saute" pan handle replaced, but from what I read, that's a long shot.

I sold cookware in a fairly up-scale specialty shop and can think of only one other company as apparently irresponsible. It is no longer in business either.

I have e-mailed shopnbc and let them know what I think of the mouthpiece/representative "Art" they are and the junk they are selling as cookware.
"Caveat Emptor" ("Let the buyer beware" in Latin; even then they knew that if the deal looks too good to be true...
 2nd of Mar, 2009 by   Lynn 0 Votes
I too bought a 10-12 piece set, a chicken fryer, and a blender, all no good--the blender after only ONE use--and it was supposed to be commercial grade!! This is why QVC is so strict--they won't have it if they can't back it all the way. What about it--I say class a action suit is in order!!!
Lynn
 7th of Mar, 2009 by   Debra Blair 0 Votes
Yes, I have a pressure cooker that I would like to return under the 50 year warranty... Since I do not use it as often it has taken longer to break down. It looks just like brand new, but burns literally every thing you try to cook, no matter what temperature. It has a heavy special bottom disk that was suposed to keep that from "happening"... ya right. I will say one positive thing... all that burnt crap on the bottom (my stew) just wiped out like a breeze. What a joke! I think HSN sells a lot of inferior products. Buyer beware... HSN has an obligation to replace if not refund. The makers of Innova/Ultrex need to go to jail with Maddoff. We, the People of the United States of America, need to stand up and say "NO" ! No more inferior, rip off products. There has to be an attorney or perhaps letters written to John Stossel ABC 20/20. Bombard media with this information. I am writing now... come on folks let's get this rolling... forget the money.. now it is the principle... the con artists that rip off the American public need to be exposed and HSN needs to take responsibility!!!
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   PeaRose 0 Votes
Art Krull and his cohorts have been at this scam with cookware for a very L-O-N-G time. Perhaps longer than most folks know about. Most people think it started with the HSN Ultrex line but it didn't. The HSN Ultrex line was the SECOND line of cookware he's scammed on innocent shoppers. The first set I'm aware of was the "Magnalite Professional Stainless Steel." No, not the older "Magnalite" brand which was made from cast aluminum. Mr. Krull's line of this cookware was also referred to as MPS and described as being "Superior Engineering. Superior Results." I still have the beautiful tri-fold black and gold brochure along with a price list from, guess where? Innova Inc. 409 West 76th Street, Davenport5, IA 52806. Phone number AT THAT TIME, which has since been disconnected was, 800-767-5160. My son purchased a nine-piece set for me which was sold at retail outlets. (Mine was purchased from Service Merchandise.) He later contacted the company and ordered more pieces directly from Innova Inc. All together he paid over $1, 000.00 for the extra pieces. (Thinking back and knowing that hard-earned thousand dollars my son spent would have bought a large set of All-Clad, makes me ill.) It is a good thing dear Art is on television and not in my home town. I would most definitely make arrangements to meet face-to-face with this dishonest, corrupt, deceitful, crooked, lying, cheating, fraudulent, unscrupulous, low-down, good-for-nothing, disgusting excuse of a human.

Please accept my apologies for the rant. I really didn't intend to do that.

One thing I would like to suggest to everyone, if you have Ultrex, MPS, or any other cookware which has the non-stick coating, please do some research. At one time Art referred to this as "Excalibur" non-stick. "Excalibur" is polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) which is best known as Teflon and was originally developed by DuPont. It will begin to breakdown at about 500 degrees Fahrenheit. This decomposing process is lethal to pet birds and causes flu-like symptoms in humans. For years, DuPont denied PTFE contained carcinogens but in 2005 the United States Environmental Protection Agency discovered one of the chemical compounds used to make PTFE was indeed, carcinogenic. There's a lot more information about this substance on the internet.

My point in telling you this is three of the MPS pots/pans I had, did have the "Excalibur" non-stick finish. The rest were stainless steel inside and out. Some of the "Excalibur" non-stick coating came off in a batch of spaghetti sauce I was making. The finished sauce looked as though I had put lots of coarsely ground black pepper in it. I didn't think anything about it at the time because my husband will occasionally come along and add a few extra grinds of pepper or salt to something I'm cooking. I use peppercorns, not the pre-ground pepper. After dinner, as I was emptying this pan, I noticed the black non-stick coating appeared to be "bubbling" off the sides of the pan, not the bottoms. I never used utensils which would scratch the pans. I tried calling the phone number on brochure which came with my cookware and that's when I discovered the company had disappeared into thin air. I put that pan along with the others which had the "Excalibur" finish in the trash. I now wish I had not done that. I wish I had taken the pans to an attorney who knows how to handle a class action suit.

All of this happened about twelve or thirteen years ago in 1996 or '97. In November of 2007, I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. I had no symptoms of acid reflux or GERD, no Barrett's Disease, I did not smoke or consume alcohol. Coincidence? I can't prove it and neither can my doctors but it's highly probable. I had a trans-hiatal esophagectomy (THE) February 18th, 2008 and spent fourteen days in Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. After coming home, I developed pneumonia, along with other complications, and spent three more weeks in the hospital here in my home town. I weighed 117 pounds the day I went in for surgery. Today, I weigh 78 pounds. It is impossible for me to gain weight. I hate going out in public because I'm so skinny after the surgery. I will never, ever, use non-stick products in my home again. I've gotten rid of everything, including a coffee pot which had a non-stick coated warming disk.

So, now that I've written a book explaining my ordeal, can you understand why I'd appreciate an opportunity to pin Art Krull to the barn door while I have my say with him? Thanks for giving me a place to tell of my experience.

PeaRose
 12th of Mar, 2009 by   Sugar 0 Votes
First, let me say PeaRose, I am so sorry to hear of your issues and I can understand your reasons for venting here. Good luck in the future, I hope you can recover your health a bit.

I bought a set of Ultrex from HSN about 10 years ago as well. The selling point for me was when the advertiser took a power tool and tried to scratch the coating on the pan. I was always leary of Teflon and the way it peels off after a time so I thought this coating would be more durable. I tossed the smallest frying pan within a couple years because the coating had completely come off and everything I tried to cook in it just stuck to the pan. I couldn't locate my receipt and I do remember getting the 50 year guarantee - "just send it back and we'll replace it" I remember him saying. Well a short time ago, I found my receipt and decided to look around the web for the company because all of my other pieces are completely useless and scraped up and I stopped using them a while back. Having found multiple websites with threads of conversation similar to this one, I realize I am out the money and the guarantee doesn't mean a thing. I'd go for the class action too because I know my family and I have ingested this coating and my children were very small at the time I used them the most. I recently started replacing my cookware with stainless and I too vow not to use coated pans in the future. I am also outraged at the idea that this man just goes along selling products that aren't safe and don't live up to their word. I have little faith in home shopping sellers these days.

When I was young in the '70's, I remember my mom bought a couple sets of new pots and pans that had the original Teflon coating in them. We used those pans until they were scraped clean of the Teflon. Like my mom, I bought this set of Ultrex because it appeared to be more durable, yet still provided the ease of stick free cooking. I had a mindset that stick free was a good thing and now I wonder if I or my children will develop any health issues, I certainly hope for the best but it is on my mind. Thanks for posting information on PTFE, I will definitely be doing my research.
 13th of Mar, 2009 by   ednakracker 0 Votes
I agree with everyone that these pans are worthless. I also bought the pressure cooker for around $100. What junk!
 14th of Mar, 2009 by   Kitt 0 Votes
I also bought the cookware set. Not long after buying the set the coating starting coming off the pots. I contacted Innova and sent the items back and they sent replacements. Not long after receiving the replacements the coating started coming off. Also I bought a Innova Colorcast Enamel Dutch oven and the enamel is coming off. I admit I was slow in trying to get the items returned, but since they had a 75 year warranty I was in no hurry. When I finally did try to return the items I also found out they were out of business and no longer honoring the warranty. So like all the others that bought their products, I am stuck with all these products, which I paid alot of money for, and cannot use.

Anyone that knows of a lawsuit please contact me.

Kitt