logo

US Observer
Breach of Contract Libel/SLander
4. (1 mins ago)
Harrison Law Firm
Harrasment call claims my arrest
5. (2 mins ago)

Posted:    Angie Martin

Fraud/misrepresentation

Homeland Health Care
Phone: 18004934240
I too was scammed by Homeland Health Care by a fast talking Joe Rizzo. Joe totally misrepresented Homeland Health Care health insurance in the same way as the scammed senior who filed a complaint on Jan. 29, 2009. You are also told to get a refund on your enrollment fee(mine was $75.00 I guess they just decide what they want to charge you for this enrollment fee) you must call back the same day you apply to get your money back. What they fail to tell you is that you will not reach anyone because all mailboxes are full on their voicemail and their is no other way to reach anyone since the customer service number is on the paper work you are to be receiving in the mail. I was also told that after talking to Joe that I would be talking to a man named sergio who would be recording my conservation. I was also instructed not to ask him questions because he would have to start everything over and that Joe would call me back to answer any questions that I might have. Of course I haven't heard from him yet. That was on Feb. 5 and today is Feb. 11. I have called customer service numerous times and talked to Jeremy. The first time I explained the situation to Jeremy he pointed out the misrepresentations that had been made by Joe to me. since then he has turned this all around to be my fault instead of Joe's whom lied about the coverages to start with. I have since called 4 times and left messages for Jeremy to call me back and he hasn't called back yet. I called Jeremy back today and was given another run around and was told he would call me back in 5 to 10 minutes. That was 31/2 hours ago. I've since tried to call back several times only to get a recording. This company has a D rating with the Better Business Bureau and has had numerous complaints filed against them. This is a supplemental insurance which they fail to tell you and you are also told that if you were to enter the hospital on the same day that your insurance starts it would be covered 100%. While sergio is recording your conversation he throws in that you are not covered for 1 year on pre-existing conditions and 30 days for everything else. I didn't say anything while the recording was going on as instructed and waited for the call from Joe to question this since he had told me something different but of course he never called me back. I guess with the practice of taking everyone's enrollment fee it doesn't matter if they sell any insurance they can just take your hard earned money and run with it!!! Apparently you people are not of any faith or you couldn't do this to people especially elderly people on a fixed income. I'm sure God is smiling down on you now for screwing people out of what is rightfully their's. You know what they say, what goes around comes around so when you see yourselves struggling in these hard times maybe that phrase will be going through your head.
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Mar, 2009 by   kris +1 Votes
I also was scammed by this shitty insurance company. I was told I would have RX coverage I just left CVS after paying over $400.00 for my RX that Homeland Healthcare covered NONE of. If you need health insurance I strongley reccomend you look somewhere else because this company is a SCAM taking advantage of hard working people in this tough economic time.
 3rd of Mar, 2009 by   LiedTo +1 Votes
Joe Rizzo is an outside agency that sells based on Commission so they lie. Homeland HealthCare is a Third Party Administrator that condones the lies and lack of disclosure because they get a portion of the "Non-Refundable" enrollment fee. Thus, regardless of rather the policy takes effect or not Homeland ALWAYS makes SOMETHING from the encounter.
 12th of Mar, 2009 by   Pissed - Off +1 Votes
7 hours ago - Pissed - off

I personally spoke with David Handler Broker, American Health Brokers today. I was told everything that everyone else was. I have pre -existing conditions and I need insurance badly, beacuse my Capital Blue Cross was so high I couldn't afford it. But, I am out in the cold with no where to turn. I called my credit card company to stop the transaction but, I have to wait until it post, to have it removed minus the $75.00 enrollment fee. I only wish I had seen this website first. Thanks for the information, before I went to get my RX's, or had my first office visit.
 18th of Mar, 2009 by   Marcos H. 0 Votes
Before anything else I would like to apologize to anyone that felt they were not represented our product correctly. My name is Marcos and I am the Vice-President of sales for America's Health Brokers and would be more then happy to hear your concerns. Please give us a fair chance to rectify any problems you may have had. In my experience with sales and customer service I have learned that one person can make an entire company look bad or fraudulent. I would be more then happy to hear what you have to say. Most of the time I have learned that the plans we offer don't work the way they're supposed to because the customer is not using it correctly or the representative didn't explain how to use it correctly. You can email us at customercare@ahbinsure.com for any questions or comments. Thank you in advance!

Marcos H.
Vice- President of Sales (America's Health Brokers)
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   amfairfax 0 Votes
Gee Marcos, that's so nice of you to apologize to the hardworking people your company takes advantage of and misrepresents it's product to. I don't believe "one person can make an entire company look bad or fraudulent", I believe that is the nature of your business, scamming people out of their money, especially those that are naive or desperate regarding insurance. If someone doesn't know the right questions to ask, then they don't get the full story do they? Ommission is a form of LYING Marco, don't fool yourself...companies that operate like this are despicable and people that are Vice Presidents of these companies...nothing short of shisters. My little brother has had a run in with your company and I am helping him to get a refund. He may not know any better but I do. Get a conscience dude and go work somewhere else.
 3rd of Apr, 2009 by   rippedoff +1 Votes
The agent told me that my doctor and my husband's were on the plan . I have later found out neither one of them are on there. So we are out of about $600.00 . We are both laid off and can not afford to spend this kind of money for nothing . I need some one to make this right and refund our money . How could you do this to people? I have sent an email to Marco .
 3rd of Apr, 2009 by   rippedoff +1 Votes
I just emailed the company with homeland at customercare@ahbinsure.com .Some one called me and we called the DR. office and they do take the card but we were supposed to tell them the name Beech Street . The dr. office said they will bill the company. I will let you know how it turns out.
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   tracy @ Sage 0 Votes
People, this is a different form of insurance, it does not operate the same as major medical insurance; it provides cash benefits to HELP off set the costs you incur at the doctors or hosptial. With having this type of insurance you receive the negotiated PPO network rates on all medical bills, which you would not get if you did not have any insurance card at all. As with any insurance company, you need to check to make sure your doctor is on the PPO list. RX also has a list you need to check to ensure your meds will qualify for discounts. It is up to the Agent to inform you on all these points and to make absolutely certain you understand this Limited Benefit Plan. It is a very viable option for those that can not get coverage with major medical. If you can find a good Broker (me :)) who takes care of your claims you wouldn't feel left out in the cold (as one person put it).
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   jg9663 0 Votes
I am having a problem with these folks, too. I was told by the agent who contacted me that my doctors were on board with Homeland and that I would be coveresd with my pre-existing conditions without waiting a year since I had not been without health coverage for more than 63 days. I gave him the doctors and hospitals that I deal with and was told that they were in the plan, only to find out after they took my money that these doctors dropped Homeland and Beech Street March 1st. They took my money out of my account on March 2nd. I was also told that mri's would be covered 100%. Now I am told that they will only cover $100. Not only am I out that money, I will have to figure out how to pay for the medical expenses that they said were covered.
 9th of Apr, 2009 by   Nina Gallion +2 Votes
my complaint is much similar to the rest I have read..I actually applied for CareFirst online, and a couple days later I received a call. I specifically asked if this was in reference to the application that I had filled out on line and was told yes, but they had found me a better policy for a better price. I was under the impression the whole time that this company was affiliated with CareFirst, and they never told me any different..I didn't know the difference until I received a letter from CareFirst accepting me..Of course I called them and they told me they difinitely were not affiliated with this co..I tried to use it for the first time two days ago, and was told it was useless..I then took my RX card to the pharmacist and he told me he would never accept it..I have closed the account that they were taking it out of, because I could never get in touch with anyone in order to ask questions or to cancel...I think it is a shame that these people can get away with these things
 29th of May, 2009 by   Matt Bowers 0 Votes
My name is Matt Bowers and I am an agent with Homeland Healthcare and I can assure you that the agents here in our office in Richardson Texas are trained to present our product fully and honestly. I have hundreds of clients who have our insurance and are happy with the coverage. Because they were told how to use it and the limitations were explained fully. I get referrals on a daily basis from those clients. This is a limited benefits program that offers coverage to individuals that would not normally be able to get insurance. Our products are designed for people who have pre-existing conditions but who are basically healthy. I take great pride in what we do and how we go about our business. I regret that some people have had a bad experience but I can assure you I have clients who use our prescription card, health insurance and other aspects of our coverage and are very pleased with the results. If anyone has any questions about how our products work or the validity of our company please feel free to call me directly. I will help even if you are not my client. Every company has complaints, there are other larger insurance companies that have F ratings with the BBB and I just wanted to set the record straight. We are not a fraud or scam. We are hard working agents who help people everyday even if we do not sell them insurance.

Matt Bowers
Homeland Healthcare
1-800-281-4635 x139
 15th of Jun, 2009 by   mouse2009 -1 Votes
The same exact thing happened to me as the original complaint. I was given the same exact info and told that my type 1 diabetes would be covered from day one of the policy later to find out there's a waiting period. I was also told that it would pick up my pregnancy from day one of the policy which was also false. There's a year waiting period on that too. I think Homeland Healthcare is a load of crap and I feel that lieing to people is not a way to do business.
 16th of Jun, 2009 by   Stripped Pockets +1 Votes
In January 2009 I applied for what I was led to believe was Medical Insurance that would cover my pregnancy. I specified several times it was the only reason I needed the coverage. I was told by myself as an individual I would not qualify but with my daughter on the plan no problem. I was specifically told since my daughter was a minor if I added her on to the insurance it would be a group policy and my pregnancy would de.finitely be covered. The rep David reassured me of this several times. Also in addition to my Insurance I was told Beech Street was ai addition to the insurance plan which would cover additional visits. Apparently Beech Street is the network provider and pays like 20% of visits. through some other thing they have connected to all this. I remember speaking with a David and then his supervisor Ethan who at the time definitely reassured my "only verbally of course" that yes they would cover the pregnancy. My premiums have been $320 a month over a 5 month period that comes to $1600. The medical bills have been surmounting which I thought were being taken care of until I recently started receiving statements saying Beech Street has paid this much and here is your share. I had a sonogram costing $1000 and beech street covered $200 so on top of paying $320 a month for the coverage I now have to figure out how to pay $800. This is Insane. I recently spoke with a representative who said my pregnancy is not covered that it is a pre-existing condition. I am now sitting on bills of approximately $2500 of which this company has paid for probably $500. Isn't this company a part of AIG - The big bail out scam company -?? It is amazing they get away with this crap. I would love to dispute their charges and get the money back but I am not sure if I would be in the right doing that if they have paid a % against the bills. Who's up for a class action lawsuit against these thieves! And yes my doctors have all been within their network!!
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   Zoey +1 Votes
Homeland Health Care is a limited benefit plan. Everyone should be wary of a plan that makes you pay an enrollment fee up front (your A-rated carriers DO NOT!) If you qualify for a major medical plan with an A-rated carrier like Aetna, Humana, United Health Care, Unicare, or a Blue Cross Blue Shield, you should take it over these plans anytime.

I was working with Homeland Health Care, but was unhappy with their payment for claims. I started looking around for new health coverage, and found an advisor Aurora Zinck, she works for My Insurance Expert, which is essentially an advisory service. She knew about Homeland, found their benefits, and explained them to me. Once I understood what I had purchased, I was angry, and there was no chance of getting any money back. Immediatly, I cancelled my Homeland Health Care, and she assisted me in picking out an incredible major medical policy with Aetna. My coverage began June 1st, I went and got my mammogram and Pap Smear and I didn't pay a dime! She saved me from so many problems. Please call her if you have Homeland, or are considering it, she does a great service. Her number is 800-732-5569 X 254, her email is aurora@myinsuranceexpert.com. GOOD LUCK!!
 26th of Jun, 2009 by   anonymous11 +2 Votes
I would like to say that I am an agent with Homeland Healthcare, and I try to do my job with honesty and integrity. Unfortunately, I, and many others have had to suffer due to the antics of this Joe Rizzo character and others like him. He is an independent broker, who doesn't actually even work for our company, but does sell our product. (at an inflated rate, I might add). He has even had the audacity to tell customers that what we sell is not even real insurance, and then turn around and sell them the exact same product. I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of myself, and my colleagues, to anyone who has had to waste time from their lives to even speak with this piece of trash. I'm sure he will get what's coming to him in the long run.
 1st of Jul, 2009 by   Suz L -1 Votes
I wonder who the agent is that wants to do his job with honesty and integrity? I spoke to Richard at X703 who out and out lied to me. As soon as I got the information I cancelled, there was not one thing in those documents that matched what I was told. After I cancelled I was also told I would be getting back my $75 when I asked for a copy of the transcript from the "legal" recording, I was told they "made a mistake" and my $75 would be returned, NOT. I have left at lest 4 message for Erica Maurer in the "legal department" and have faxed a letter to the Texas office no one ever calls back. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY.
Suzanne
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   Colorado Resident +1 Votes
I am not sure what type of policy any of you were looking for but Homeland Health is a limited coverage policy. I thoroughly read the .pdf file they sent me on what it does and does not cover. Also, I have a pre-existing condition but Homeland Health is a HIPPA qualified company and if you can show a letter of creditable coverage for the last 12 months with no longer than a 63 day period without coverage, the 12- month period is removed. I talked with several people on this and went out and researched them on our State of Colorado website regarding health insurance companies allowed to operate in the state and they have an A rating. The insurance is through Markel Insurance out of Virginia and the $75 pays for membership in the American Workers Association that has a lot of benefits. Again, this is a limited coverage policy. My doctor and the three local hospitals are all on their list that are approved for payment. They negotiate any bills down to the same that Medicare allows for reasonable and customary charges. My policy has a $10 copay on my prescriptions. Other than the prescriptions, I hope to not have to use any other features for the next 18 months when I turn 65 and go under Medicare and a supplement. My agent made it very clear that this is a supplement style policy that has limited coverage. I am assuming all of you were dealing with third party brokers who had no sense of right and wrong. I will read my policy over carefully when I get it and make sure I got what I paid for. I have been turned down by Aetna, Assurant Health, United Health, etc. because I have a pre-existing condition so was glad to find a company that would cover me.
 24th of Jul, 2009 by   B. Drake -1 Votes
hello everyone...i came here just as frustrated and upset as all of you...please read this entire post, i promise it will be very helpful!

i am 24 yrs. old not insured and 4 months pregnant...i purchased homeland health care through a broker 2 months into being pregnant...this broker, michelle who works in miami, fl...told me i would have complete maternity coverage, that i can go to whatever doctor i please, and only pay about $30 a visit, they told me dental was included..i could go on and on...it sounded too good to be true and i kept reminding her that im 2 months pregnant and that this is no joke and that i need real coverage or nothing...making a long story short..she kept lying to me and i signed up 20 minutes and approx $300 later...
once i got my package, a month later i realized how much trouble i was having getting an appt. with a doctor's office, i paniced and looked online for complaints and found this page...and saw Matt Bowers post and decided to call him for help.

He was incredibly helpful and apologized for the misunderstanding. He actually explained the policy to me...which im sure to many people is exactly what they need and more than they hoped for...unfortunately that just isnt the case for me. I decided to cancel and just pay for the pregancy and get proper health coverage when its over. I dont want to get into detail about the policy benefits i had with Homeland because I dont want to falsely represent anything. Matt Bowers is definitely the guy to talk to. He was awesome!

He was very apologetic and explained that brokers are getting carried away with their false descriptions of Homeland Health Cares policy. Being in sales and marketing myself, i understand how very full of crap a lot of phone salesmen are and continue to be...especially in the insurance sales field...they basically are encouraged to lie and get the sale.

Anyway...Matt Bowers was terriblely helpful and today i actually received my money back, a total of $244.00 was credited to my account. Granted I paid like $290 but youre not going to get the sign-on bonus that goes directly to the broker back...$244.00 is great especially because i expected nothing.
I suggest if that if you are having any issues that you call him. You will be glad you did. His number again is:

1 800 281 4635 ext. 139

Leave a msg and he will call you back :)

Thank you and I hope this will resolve a lot of issues.

Best Wishes,

Bruna Miami, FL
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   smileyg07 +1 Votes
i also have HAD PROBLEMS CONTACTING THIS COMPANY EXCEPT I GOT TO TALK TO SOMEONE BUT THEY ARE ALL THE SAME, I PAID A DOWN PAYMENT ENROLLMENT FEE OF 184$! AND I AM GOING THROUGH MY BANK TO DISPUTE IT, I HAVE ALREADY CANCELLED AND IM WAITING FOR MY MONEY THEY PROMISE TO CALL YOU, BUT OF CORSE THAT IS A JOKE, IM A PART TIME CASHIER, BARELY LIVEING PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK, I NEED THIS MONEY TO PAY MY BILLS, THEY TOLD ME THAT MY REFUND HAS GONE THROUGH AUGUST THIRD, BUT I HAD CANCELLED MY BANK ACCOUNT THAT PAYED WITH BCZ I HAD TRANSFERRED BANKS, I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY CAN ACT LIKE THEY SENT IT WHEN I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON! IM PISSED! AND IM NOT GOING TO LET DOWN OF MY MONEY, I HAVE PROOF OF PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION AND DATES THEY CANNOT SAY I NEVER PAID IT, DON'T GIVE UP YOU GUYS DISPUTE IT
 19th of Aug, 2009 by   insurance irritations +1 Votes
This company is not right - the salespeople lied and the customer service people will keep asking for more and more info. When you send it, they want more even after they tell you that they have everything they need. Working on a claim since December of 08 for only $400 - I've paid in more than that to date.

Cancelling the plan and using the money to pay the bill - faster and cheaper in the long run. Thank God I didn't wind up in the hospital!!!

While Homeowners Suffer, Foreclosure Mills Make Millions