logo

Bank Of Africa
Bennedict Joseph
2. (3 mins ago)
Free of Blemishes
posting fake comments and product is a scam
3. (6 mins ago)

SCAM

HILLTOP RECORDS
Hollywood, California
Hilltoprecords.com
Dont give them any money!! They promise much, but deliver nothing. Hilltop records wanted money for one of my songs, then wanted me to pay them AGAIN for another song .
They send the same form letter out to everyone they contact, telling songwriters that they are looking for new material...and that for $399.00 screening fee or similar amount, your song might be chosen. You are required to pay full fee before your song will be recorded, once it's selected. I didnt even know how they got my name and address. I know now, it was from the US Copyright office. Makes me wonder if they have inside contacts there!
There are loop holes in their scam. They make the general offer look real good. They use pressure tactics. The fact that no one is available to talk on the phone from HILLTOP should be red-flag number ONE. They claim all business must be done in writing, in order to protect all involved. THAT PROTECTS ONLY THEM!
I recieved a letter WEEKS ago from Hilltop, saying that my song was in the hands of the arrangers, and that everything was proceeding on schedule. Then, I get a second letter wanting another song for the same amount of money as the first song..$399.00. The letter stated that as soon as I paid the screening fee for my second song and IF it was chosen, that they would "BEGIN WORK ON BOTH SONGS" That was Flag number two!!. My first song should have been fnished already. I was promised that my song would appear on the AMERICA CD ALBUM.
Go to AMAZON.com! Hilltop has only a few cd's on the sight...all OLD! So if they are a major compnay, then where's all the NEW MUSIC??????
Then go to GOOGLE. If you type in HILLTOP RECORDS..the first item to appear before you even click on ANYTHING, wi be "HILLTOP RECORDS SCAM" !!!
I had a gut feeling, and its a good thing I followed through with my hunch. I canceled my credit cards, and refuse to pay them another penny. They know I'm on to their scheme, so I doubt I will ever hear from them again. Good ridance!! I just hope for the sake of others, the word can be spread about HILLTOP RECORDS dishonesty!!!
They are CROOKS and will take you for whatever they can get. By giving then money, you are PAYING a crook his/her salary. Hilltop messes with peoples dreams, and talents. I doubt I would ever get my songs back, even if I asked NICELY. They took my money, and more than likely, would require more money for the rewturn of my demos I sent them origianlly. I learned a valuble lesson!! BE CAREFUL!!!
Last week I was dissapointed. Today, I'm a little wiser.
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Hilltop Records complaints
Hilltop Records - Rip-Off

Comments

25th of Feb, 2010 by   Rob Scallon 0 Votes
I get stuff from these people all the time. It's ridiculous. I want to tell them to stop sending me these letters, but I enjoy that the're wasting a small amount of money to mail me every other month.
-Rob Scallon

myspace.com/robscallon
youtube.com/robs70986987
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by   justreadingstuff 0 Votes
From the US Copyright Office website:

I’ve been getting solicitation letters from publishers. Is the Copyright Office selling my personal information?

The Copyright Office does not sell information. Copyright Office records, however, are public records, which means anyone may come to our office and inspect them. Occasionally organizations such as music publishers or book publishers send a representative to the Copyright Office to compile lists of names and addresses of those authors who have most recently registered their works. Their purpose, undoubtedly, is to solicit new business. This practice is not a violation of the law.
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   Not2BeDuped +1 Votes
I agree that it is probably a scam. Each and every possible place a musician can publish/perform/copyright, there are crooks out there waiting in the shadows to scam him/her. I've seen it on MySpace.com. I've seen it with Hilltop Records. If you have a dream of any kind and you have money to spend, there are thousands of people out there who would do anything possible to convince you to give it all to them.

Never give your money or personal information to anybody out there in cyberland (or anywhere else for that matter) until you have THOROUGHLY researched them. I'd say about 99.999% of these people are con artists, sadly...
 28th of Jun, 2010 by   Dan 76 +1 Votes
I'd like to talk to these people face to face, and let them know what it's like when they take advantage of songwriters trying to get a start in the music industry. Of course, I would probably end up arrested for displaying my "feelings" on the matter!
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   lajkaiweur +1 Votes
Wow, I'm so glad I did decide to do a bit of research before "submitting" my material.
I just got a letter in the mail 3 weeks ago. Ironically, I also just received my copyright registration from songs I sent in 2008! (2 years ago!!!) Obviously, NOT a coincidence.

Btw, the form letter I received does not mention $$ or a fee. But I thought the whole thing was strange to begin with. It's so vague and bizarre that they would want your songs to "arrange" and re "record" and put on what? a compilation?? Just weird.

In the garbage!
 30th of Jul, 2010 by   Lorna Stone +1 Votes
Hi,
When you copyright your songs people like Hilltop can view your personal information, they do this because they feel they can make money out of peoples ignorance.

Why copyright, Publishers will do that for you if they like your songs, No one is going to steal your songs, the chances are ten million to one, As soon as you have it on paper and a simple recording just put it in your Friendly Local Bank, most will provide that service free.

Otherwise you leave yourself open to every Scam on this planet.

Lorna
 31st of Aug, 2010 by   Grateful Granny +1 Votes
I appreciate your honesty and in depth report on this situation. Shame on Hilltop if they are scammer folks. What goes around comes around. Sooner or later they will have to pay the fiddler or the GOOD LORD for any wrong they do to folks!
I was excited when I received their letter today because I had copyrighted a song I specifically wanted DOLLY PARTON to record because it is a song she could really put her soul into. They mentioned DOLLY as one of the artist that the "PLAYERS on their talented team have recorded tracks for... along with several other famous artist!
THANK GOD I had the good sense to go online and type in Hilltop Records- Hollywood, CA for a review of their business BEFORE I SENT them anything!
God Bless You for this service!
Grateful Granny
 21st of Sep, 2010 by   troyjenkinseverybody 0 Votes
JUST GOT MY HILTOP LETTER TODAY...!!! DOWN HEAR IN FLORIDA!!! THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET THOUGH!!! LOL!

I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO APPROACH MY ORGANIZATION WITH THIS FOOLISHNESS BECAUSE ALL YOU LOVELY MUSICIANS GAVE ME ENOUGH INFORMATION ABOUT THESE HILLTOP LOSERS...!

I'M TURNING MY LETTER INTO A FACEBOOK PICTURE... WHO'S WITH ME!!!???????

FACEBOOK - TROY JENKINS
YOUTUBE - TROYJENKINSEVERYBODY
TWITTER - TROYJENKINS11
MYSPACE - /DATFEELGOODMUSIC
 29th of Oct, 2010 by   Vivian Hammonds +1 Votes
I have a stack of letters I have received from Hilltop Records within the past couple of years. Mine, too, started coming just as I received my letter from the Coypright Office. I will keep them, just in case these people decide to record something I have written, without my permission. I personally doubt if they have ever listened to anything I have written, although they seem to be sure my songs would pass their screening test. I see no reason to pay someone to put one of my songs on a CD. If they are marketable, I should be on the receiving end. I have lived long enough to see through this. I just hope younger and less-informed folks will be cautious!
Vivian Hammones, Tennessee
 3rd of Nov, 2010 by   Candeegirrl +1 Votes
Thanks guys for the info. As everyone else, I received a letter after my songs where copywritten. I was all excited, dang it, but I'm glad I researched.
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   Doubleopossum +1 Votes
The Hilltop letter came today and had me excited at first but I knew it was too good to be true. Did some research and according to the majority this company is a scam and the letter is an example of what happens when you get a seatbelt ticket you wind up with 40 different letters from 40 different people wanting to represent you in a court of law. I guess you are all in the same boat here. Just toss me a life jacket I'm coming aboard. But who's gonna navigate? My only concern about this situation is it is my first copyright and now I'm kinda lost. I would really love to sell my song I had copyrighted. I have no idea where to start. I got through with step 1 of getting it copyrighted, now I just need a little direction towards getting it picked up. So now my hopes about Hilltop Records giving me a hand that were never up are now gone. So where can I turn now on how to sell the song? I'm not keen on singing or performing this song anywhere. I would rather let someone else do it. How do I go about being able to pitch it to a producer or does anyone have any advice?
 11th of Mar, 2011 by   tadreamer +1 Votes
My wife has lost a lot of money to Hilltop Records. She pays out hundreds of dollars to them per song which usually gets put on a compilation CD. She gets nothing for it, just promises. The last song she paid them to publish was never heard from again. She refuses to believe that it's all a scam and gets angry when anyone tells her it is.
 20th of Mar, 2011 by   TanyaHatch +1 Votes
Well, now I am scared! I just got a letter from them but they did not ask for money? They are wanting me to send in 3 or 4 of my songs to for a new CD Album project? I do know that Patsy Cline used a company called Hill Top records but I don't know if this is the same one? HELP! The only song that I did send them was legally copyrighted! So, does that protect me 100% I don't know as I know nothing of the legalities of it all! I am scared now after reading all of the above comments! I have written 2 songs that I am really proud of and my dream is to have them recorded. Oh what to do????? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Always,
Tanya Hatch
 16th of Jul, 2011 by   blackrose9794 +1 Votes
Thanks for sharing! I just got a letter from HillTop Records this week but decided to do a little research first, just to make sure if it was a scam or not. Looks like it is ! haha
 11th of Aug, 2011 by   Knox It Music Publishing +1 Votes
I am sooooo pissed at these scam artists!!! I fell victim to these people and sent in a song "Giving Up To Lose" and Cody Lyons (never heard of him) sang a song country that I wrote R&B and paid my $399. Problem is, this song is on the original tape they sent me, but on the website they sell their material, (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/americasong/from/payplay#) I am not even mentioned or my song on the project. I am going to speak to my attorney's concerning this and sue them for this mess. This is not right at all!

Knox It Music Publishing
 28th of Aug, 2011 by   Keepintune +1 Votes
I can't believe these phonies have been around for so long. The first letter I received was when I copyrighted two songs in 2005. Just copyrighted 9 more in 2011 and got new letter. But, I have had the same form letter for the past six years, and received several of them after the first copyright in 2005.
Before you do anything with them, check the BBB and Consumer Affairs, and also ask any of your friends in the music business or with connections if they have reports on this outfit. If you hear anything negative, chances are they are not what they claim to be.

Good luck to you if you decide to trust a letter from someone you don't know.
 20th of Dec, 2011 by   Perry Redd +1 Votes
I too recieved a letter from Hilltop Records dated December 15, 2011. I was prompted to do research after I recieved the letter as I've been writing for over 30 years and have never had discretionary income to pay anyone that kind of money. I do satisfactory demos myself and now self-publish. What I do know is that if a major label wants to record your compositions, they'll pay willingly. If all of us who got know this or already got beat got together, we could form out own recording, publishing and distribution label covering several genres of music. They need to be reported and prosecuted through the FTC. ~Perry Redd, Washington, DC
 15th of Jan, 2012 by   Empress Zaina +1 Votes
Well, Just received my letter today, I thought it was funny! I never submitted to them, the letter seem so fake, they brag and name drop which is a red flag, do not leave a contact number, the wording in their letter is so unprofessional, they cant be a record company if they are not signing acts, just taking their songs blindly. No meeting, just a letter that could have come from Nigeria for all I know. Went to their site, total scam. I am so very proud of all of you for doing your research and seeing clearly. Not everyone is new to the business that copyright songs, how stupid, they need to watch who they approach, which is also a red flag for them to think that most people are naive to the music industry. How ignorant they are. I am not the one!!! and I will expose them for who they really are!
ZJ
zainajuliette.com
 2nd of Apr, 2012 by   dexterkent +1 Votes
I got my letter today... (April 2), dated March 30, 2012, postmark from Los Angeles. Obviously, this is a total scam. Whether they are raking for specific ideas (which are not copyright-able), which they can spin into their own songs or facsimile songs... the stories on here seem to be consistent enough to warrant our dismissal of their "opportunity." Suffice it to say, whether they have a minimal amount of credibility as a company or not, it doesn't happen this way. There's not some distant interaction via letter, with no meetings, etc., and then a check arrives for untold millions... Again, it just doesn't happen this way. If people from the industry want your songs, they'll knock themselves over to get to you. And usually, you've done something to establish yourself already... like do well on a reality show, etc. I hate being disappointed, but it's MUCH BETTER TO KNOW that this is FAKE... and my sincere thanks to those of you who have suffered through what you have, and then shared it with us. You saved me the whole heartache! Incidentally, I got a letter today, and I write SCREENPLAYS. That's what I registered with US Copyright. So THAT'S been going on... :) Good luck to you all, and God bless.
 3rd of Apr, 2012 by   Dave Evans Solo +1 Votes
I have got numerous letters from them. It seems like each time I send a song in for copyright I get something from them... It's a shame they are still allowed to do this to people... The first letter gave me hope that something might be done with my songs but for some reason when I got the second letter asking for $400 to pay for the recording and mixing I saw through the scam and started checking on them... It was as I figured, you send money, they send nothing... Does anyone out there know a safe place to send songs that is not a scam???
Dave Evans