Handyman Club of America

Posted:

Lifetime Membership RENEWAL?

4.75
Pennsylvania
Ok, I have been a LIFETIME member of this club for over ten years...It has been awhile since I recieved my bi-monthly LIFETIME Handyman magazine.
I just got a postcard today saying they have not heard from me in a while and I quote "If you wish to continue receiving Life Member Benefits, we need to hear from you"!

First off, why do they need to hear from me? I signed up for a lifetime of benefits. Secondly, I recently moved in the last year AND UPDATED my information on the club website, so in essense THEY HAVE HEARD FROM ME QUITE RECENTLY.

So, fearing to lose my membership, which has to be completely illegal, I went to the site and did what I needed to do. The thank you message stated that "My account has been REACTIVATED"! So they are telling me the deactivated my lifetime membership because "they have not heard from me in a while"? How about you try and contact me first before you just deactivate something I have paid for?

I am really getting sick of these companies offering LIFETIME or UNLIMITED products only to try and screw you down the road!
Complaint comments Comments (46) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

9th of Mar, 2012 by    -1 Votes
I agree with you 100%. I paid almost $300.00 for a lifetime membership, and now their asking for $24. for a dues renewal. This had better been a mistake. or they can forget about anymore more from us. Also we will advise anyone else to not fall for this advertising from Handyman. supposedly invoice #LRKBD7946. We would like a response from Handyman in Hopkins, MN
 9th of Mar, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Would like this problem corrected by the Handyman Co.
 21st of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
I also have a Life Time Membership and have not received my life time subscription magazine for a number of years. I contacted Handyman Club of America numerous times over the last 1 to 1 1/2 and was told that my account is still active. My response is always the same, then why am I not getting my magazine. I am always told that I will receive the next issue. Now they only except emails no phone calls, lost that personal touch have we. I also have not heard a thing from the Club in a long time. Why did I pay for a Life Time membership? I have news for you Handyman Club of America, I am going to plaster your lying thieving ways everywhere I can until you refund my membership fees or until you are out of business. If any lawyer is willing to help me collect damages for membership fees, an incomplete set of books and whatever else, my Name is Mike Wakeland and my email is mwakeland@live.com.
 24th of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
its been 14+years since i bought/ordered anything from handyman of america.today-01/24/15, i recvd a collection notice 4 $74.i am confused on why i got this!can't get a answer online or by phone!!if i owed anything, it would have been paid off 14+years ago!!!
 21st of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
I recently started to get the mags again. In late 2005 I was laid off and became homeless for a while, when I got a place again it took a few years to convince them I am a life member who will not pay for something that is already paid for. Now I have changed my email address and gave them several notices and they still won't take the hint.
 21st of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
Email from this site goes to the spam box.
 2nd of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
I also am a Lifetime Member since 1996 and this is the second time this has happened to me. My magazine stopped again around a year ago and I was told when I joined that I would be able to test tools and other products. A "Life Member" since since 02/1996 and have never received a single tool to test! Way to treat your members!!!
 20th of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
I also have a Life Time Membership and have not received my life time subscription magazine since the beginning of 2014. I also have not heard a thing from the Club. Why did I pay a Life Time membership fee if I don't receive any of the benefits. I live at the same address and have the same e-mail as I did when I subscribed however I don't use the e-mail service much. What do I have to do to get my benefits from Handyman?
Paul Adling Member 30038889
12161 Euclid Street
Garden Grove, CA 92840
Also I have been in the hospital for most of last year and did not receive even one magazine!!!
One pissed off master life member
 25th of Jun, 2015 by    -1 Votes
I also have been a life member of the Handyman club of America since 1996. I have no idea when the last time I heard from them or received a magazine. I know it's been several years. I tried calling was informed by operator that 800 number was disconnected. What do I have to do to start getting my magazine again.
Member #30185533
ANOTHER PISSED OFF LIFE MEMBER
 1st of Jul, 2015 by    -1 Votes
I am also a lifetime member #301743389 8 and has not received a magazine for over a year or a test product ever what can be done about this club taking your money and giving no service.
 11th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
Lifetime member, I also stopped receiving the magazine, so I emailed them. I was told that it is no longer a paper magazine. you have to have internet to get the magazine online now. So I asked if they are going to pay me so that I can have internet. I have not received a response yet, but I just sent it today.
 12th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
12 august 2015
I also are a lifetime member of HANDYMAN CLUB. The last magazine I received was Feb mar 2014 issue NEIL DOYLE #3ooo7858 Never happened when Larry was editor
 16th of Aug, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Also have not received the magazine since early 2014. and also no response from the company. lifetime member since mid 90's
Now you say it's only available as an e-zine??? sign me crabby carpenter! wife saved for nearly a year to buy me the membership.
She will be soooo unhappy when I tell her; and she doesn't take kindly to being swindled. Frauds and miscreants! all of them and now they have done their dirty deeds to not just me, but my darlin.
 3rd of Sep, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I have been a life member since1996 and have enjoyed receiving the Handy Magazine. However my last issue I received was fall 2014. I am a life member #30148795 and would you to send me the missing issues, i.e. Winter 2014, Spring 2015, Summer 2015 and Fall 2015(as soon as it comes out). I do not feel that I need to keep communicating with you to get this service continued. Once a life member should mean always a life member. Now that I am retire I can finally use the magazine to my benefit. I have limited internet service and do not want to read this over the internet. Thank you and I hope that this will get a response from you to me personally.
 3rd of Sep, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Like all the others, I paid for a LIFE TIME MEMBERSHIP, the only thing I received from them since then was a Card that says I am a lifetime member. ????? This cannot be legal!
 9th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
I also have a Lifetime Membership and can, t remember the last time I have received the magazine. At least the magazine was decent. My email and mailing address have not changed in the last 10 years. J.Cruz
 11th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
I agree because i have been a member for years my number is 30641220 and have not heard from you in forever along with not getting a handy in over a year
 15th of Sep, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I guess now its my turn to complain about the same thing, I too am a life time member and want to know why I paid for something that I no longer get
We should all get together and file a class action law suite if we are not going to see any results.
 21st of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
I've got to find my Lifetime membership number, but I' with you guy's. I haven't received a magazine in about two year's. What does lifetime mean? Come on Handyman club of America. Did you sell out to China or something. I know we get screwed everyday by the government, but this is suppose to be something a little special, for some of us handymen, can share and be a part of. It's probably time all of us, who has lost our contact with these thieves, take a little action. Anyone want to start a petition, to send to a legal source or maybe A TV stations news reporters, or maybe seek some help from our congressmen. I'm pissed.
 26th of Sep, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Same thing happened to us. I have already contacted them once and they sent the magazine 3 more times and now it has been nothing for a year. I too have been ill and husband also, so receiving your magazine is not what you notice first when there are more pressing issues at hand
. After things calm down and you would like to sit back with an issue, you realize you don't have one and haven't for quite some time. Checked all the magazine racks to make sure one of us did not get it without the other knowing and sure enough, WE DO NOT have any issues...
We paid for the lifetime membership too. Really enjoyed the magazine, so what is the recourse now?

HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com Logo HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com