Posted:

Lifetime Membership RENEWAL?

4.75
Pennsylvania
Ok, I have been a LIFETIME member of this club for over ten years...It has been awhile since I recieved my bi-monthly LIFETIME Handyman magazine.
I just got a postcard today saying they have not heard from me in a while and I quote "If you wish to continue receiving Life Member Benefits, we need to hear from you"!

First off, why do they need to hear from me? I signed up for a lifetime of benefits. Secondly, I recently moved in the last year AND UPDATED my information on the club website, so in essense THEY HAVE HEARD FROM ME QUITE RECENTLY.

So, fearing to lose my membership, which has to be completely illegal, I went to the site and did what I needed to do. The thank you message stated that "My account has been REACTIVATED"! So they are telling me the deactivated my lifetime membership because "they have not heard from me in a while"? How about you try and contact me first before you just deactivate something I have paid for?

I am really getting sick of these companies offering LIFETIME or UNLIMITED products only to try and screw you down the road!
Complaint comments Comments (88) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

1st of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Deceptive billing practices

In a weaker moment I gave in and accepted a free gift of Handyman Magazine. When I was billed for the magazine the notice advised me to cancel in writing if I no longer wanted the magazine. I included a note canceling. They have continued to bill me and recently turned my case over to a collection agency. I have been unable to get a real live person on the line to discuss this with the collection agency or with Handyman. The collection agency, RMCB Collection agency, gives this number as their customer service: 914-345-7136. When you call it is voice mail that only gives your billing information. They are billing me for $24.00 which I would pay if they can show me where and how I agreed to accept the magazine in the first place.
 22nd of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
Same thing just happened to me... how the hell do I get in touch with these crooks?
 10th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club Of America / Magazine - Harassment of dues that I never asked for!

I paid for one year subscription and they kept sending magazines and garbage tools asking me to become a member, I just threw them away, since my subscription ran out, I called them and told them not to send any more, and asked if I owed them anything, they said no, now I keep getting invoices in the mail with second notice on them.

What a scam!
 14th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am having the same problem what can I do to fix this seems now they want me to pay and I called two months ago to cancel my subscription.
 17th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Misuse of my membership payments!

While I was sending my $12. a month,someone at handyman put my money towards a set of tools that I was suppose to test and buy or send back with my opinion, like a member is suppose to do. I sent them an email telling them that the $12. was my membership payment but they never got it straight. Also, I sent that same set of tools and a book back, because I didn't want them,in the same box, and they kept sending me a bill for $29.95 for the book and today I got a letter from a collection agent. I have my lifetime member kit but I don't get any more magazines or tools to test like a member is suppose to get!

Veyy poor service!
 22nd of Oct, 2007 by    -2 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Collections Notice

We received a magazine from Handyman and an invoice saying we would receive our membership package once our payment was received. We wrote cancel on the invoice and sent it back. They sent another invoice saying they had sent us our membership package and payment was past due. We never received anything but a magazine, now by this time two magazines. We once again wrote cancel on the invoice because there isn't any other way of contact on the invoice and mailed it back. Now they are threatening to turn us in to collections. Is this legal and how do you get them to stop harrassing you?
 29th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
I signed up for Handyman Club of America and after receiving one magazine which i found not interesting I cancelled my membership on the invoice I received. I keep getting invoices and now a threat of turning my account over to a collection agency.

They have no telephone contact information. What a scam!
 11th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Rip off!
Tennessee

I joined Handyman Club of America and sent them the membership fee that they requested. But they have not kept up their end of the agreement. They were to send me tools to try. I have received NONE! What I have gotten is a paper note pad, carpenters pencil and a measuring tape which looks like something you could buy at a Dollar Store for a buck. The real kicker is they keep sending me statements wanting me to become a lifetime member, I would like to know (A Lifetime Member of WHAT?) There is no phone number that I can find where you can actually talk to someone. They also sent me a book that I did not order, I thought it was a gift from them and weeks later got a bill for it in the mail. I went ahead and paid for the book and sent them a cancellation in writing. It was not long until another book came.

Very Frustrated,
Jody.

P.S. DON'T JOIN THIS CLUB!!!
 12th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Over due payment!
Handyman Club of America

You have sent me a letter stating that you were going to send me to a collection company, when i am not even a member yet until i make my first year's payment. I was/am still thinking if i want to be in your club. I, as of now do not want to belong to your club. I am not as handy as i thought i might be, especially after looking at your magazine, and giving it a good thought.
How can you give me to a collection agency when i have not even sent you anything. Someone might say they want to join, but until they send the fee for joining, they are not officially joined.

A phone number on the letter would be a good thing to have. I hope you get this e-mail, and that someone reads it and responds.
 14th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Scam and rip off!
HandyMan Club of America
PO BOC 3451
Minnetonka
Michigan

We got in the mail a letter saying we were being referred to a collection agency for not making the due payments to Handyman Club of America. I did request information but have not received anything from them except bills. Oh wait, we did receive some return address labels that went into the trash. What do we do to make sure we are not sent to a collection agency? We are not paying for this! If we wanted to be members, the bill would have been paid.
 14th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Unfulfilled offers then collection threats!
Western Technical Resources
403 Grant Dr.
Wylie
Texas
Phone: 972-429-7342

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I have had numerous solicitations from this company over the years which I have thrown away. Since recently starting a business where we review tools for the HVAC trade, we decided that perhaps their company would provide an avenue for growth. I sent in the reply envelope.

I failed to receive any of the offered "free" gifts. Instead, I received two rater weak magazines reporting to be club member reports. I received my dues membership invoice and acted by sending a debit card number. I received several notices indicating that payment had not been made, each of which I returned indicating that payment had been sent. Finally, I sent the last one back with a note of dissatisfaction and a request that the membership be terminated.

I received a "Final Notice" letter that sounds like a collection letter and mentions further collection action to be taken. This "club" is a scam! It is no more than an attempt to sell a substandard magazine by promising "free" tools. The tools "reviewed" fall into the novelty category and I doubt if very many "members" really see any tools.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!
 11th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
I too have been harassed by Handyman, after not buying or taking advantage of their "services", and receiving no benefits from them, period. The "reviews" are a joke in and of itself, as well.

It's my understanding that sending threats through the U.S. Mail is/are viewed the same as would be using telephone lines in the commission of a fraud -- against Federal Law.

After calling the Atlanta sector of the Federal Trade Commission, this is confirmed.

Perhaps one or more of us providing the FTC and the FBI copies of these threatening letters sent through the auspices of the U.S. Postal Service might be of aid?
 26th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman Supscription and Membership - Handyman Supscription and Membership
Handyman Supscription and Membership

I am a person with disabities and had someone living with me, who through theft and fraud, has cost me approximately $6,600.00. I recieved a collection with RMCB with the PIN #8866435889 for $359.00. As few people can understand me by phone and I do not write, I tried but could not contact you.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Dowd
 6th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman of America - sent to collection

I have been turned over to collection. I do recall an invitation to join approx 2 yrs ago, and I did recieve a magazine, a short time afterwards I recieved a small key chain and some stickers with my name on them. I have moved and changed addresses approx 18 months ago. Yesterday March 4th I rec'd notice from Collection Agency, that I joined in Dec 2006, and now owe them $461.00. I have not even ever gotten an invoice or statement. That is a pretty expensive key chain. I am also frustrated that I cannot find any contact numbers, nor have they answered my e-mail.
 11th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
Call their customer service number @ 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333 and ask to have your subscription canceled.
 19th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
Call 1-800-243-7679 and ask for customer service. The person I spoke to today was pleasent and helpful in resolving my issues The date is 3-19-08.
 2nd of Apr, 2008 by    -1 Votes
I would like to have my membership money back please. The letter I had received stated that if I am not satisfied that I could have my membership paid back to me in full. I am not satisfied. Please send me my money back. Thankyou
 7th of Apr, 2008 by    +1 Votes
membership services is 1-800-243-7679
 31st of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman of America Club - Membership
2543 Lower Lake Rd
Seneca Falls
New York

I received a invitation to join. I returned the card and wrote on the front NO THANKS. Now I get an invoice with membership # 7715517. I do not wish to participate in the club. Please take my name off your list. Thank you.
 1st of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes

Handyman Club of America - Rip off
Handyman Club of America

I received a letter today stating that I am going to be turned over to a collection agenct for nonpayment. The only thing that I have received from this company are the dreaded invoices. You would think that after they did not receive payment that meant that I was not interested. The offer clearly stated once we receive payment we will send out the so called free items.

This was a real shock to receive a collection letter for items that I have never received. I am not sending a dime on it. I w0uld not even waste a postage stamp as mad as I was when I opened this letter.

HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com Logo HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com