logo

Posted: 2011-03-28 by    Jenn CM

Taxes

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
I am a Status Indian working on reserve. I do not pay taxes, however my non status husband does. We went to H & R Block because my husband had gone there for many years. I was told in March 2010, at H & R Block, that i would be recieving my CPP Payments and EI Payments as a refund. I am not a tax professional and have never claimed to be, which is why i relied on H & R Block to do my taxes correctly. I was then deducted $1400 of my so-called refund because i owed CRA. I was ok with that, and left me with $1200 after H & R Block deductions. Then in April of 2010 i was sent a letter from the CRA claiming i still owed $1400. Then in December of 2010, i was sent a letter from H & R Block Collections Department saying i owed $1222.39. More than they even gave me!
I have since spoken to a Canada Revenue Agent and it was explained very clearly to me that H & R Block should NOT have given me any refund and they did my taxes wrong. The CPP and EI payments i make every year, can and will be beneficial to me in the future. H & R Block should have known, that if they refund me my CPP and EI, I will never be eligible to use these services in the future. I absolutely will need a Pension plan and collecting Unemployment Insurance is an absolute option i must have, especially with todays economy, or if i were to take maternity leave or am unable to work for any reason. I am now being hassled and will be charged 24% interest if i continue to delay this collection from H & R Block. I spoke to a representative from H & R Block and he said they did not make a mistake and i will have to pay immediately. This is where i am at now. Any informatiom will be extremly helpful to me at this time.
Comments Canada Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

How to Avoid Phishing Scams While Using the Internet