logo

Posted: 2011-03-28 by    Jenn CM

Taxes

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
I am a Status Indian working on reserve. I do not pay taxes, however my non status husband does. We went to H & R Block because my husband had gone there for many years. I was told in March 2010, at H & R Block, that i would be recieving my CPP Payments and EI Payments as a refund. I am not a tax professional and have never claimed to be, which is why i relied on H & R Block to do my taxes correctly. I was then deducted $1400 of my so-called refund because i owed CRA. I was ok with that, and left me with $1200 after H & R Block deductions. Then in April of 2010 i was sent a letter from the CRA claiming i still owed $1400. Then in December of 2010, i was sent a letter from H & R Block Collections Department saying i owed $1222.39. More than they even gave me!
I have since spoken to a Canada Revenue Agent and it was explained very clearly to me that H & R Block should NOT have given me any refund and they did my taxes wrong. The CPP and EI payments i make every year, can and will be beneficial to me in the future. H & R Block should have known, that if they refund me my CPP and EI, I will never be eligible to use these services in the future. I absolutely will need a Pension plan and collecting Unemployment Insurance is an absolute option i must have, especially with todays economy, or if i were to take maternity leave or am unable to work for any reason. I am now being hassled and will be charged 24% interest if i continue to delay this collection from H & R Block. I spoke to a representative from H & R Block and he said they did not make a mistake and i will have to pay immediately. This is where i am at now. Any informatiom will be extremly helpful to me at this time.
Comments Canada Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Is Work at Home a Scam or Real Deal?

Latest Groups