logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
wigsway.co.uk
They took money and haven’t provided order
2. (2 mins ago)

H & R Block Contacts & Informations

H & R Block

Posted:    Hopelessly Waiting

Unreliable Preparers

I am so very disappointed with H & R this tax year as well as last year. The representatives are horrible. They smile in your face and as soon as you challenge them on their mistakes, you are suddenly the enemy. They have been giving me the runaround regarding the status of my taxes and I am at a lost as to what to do next. They have cause me a huge amount of stress and I will NEVER use their overpriced services again.

My complaint is legitimate and I am too frustrated to share the details of their mistake because it is far from professional and completely irresponsible.
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Sep, 2008 by   linda 0 Votes
i'm sorry that they had such an bad experience with the tax professional i just think they went to the wrong block office because block have some very qualify preparers i should know because i am one of those preparers and i been working for them for 16 years. i have always advise my clients to look for preparers with experience to do their taxes.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   krizty01000 0 Votes
I am so disgusted. I have had my taxes prepared through H&R Block for 12 years. I went to an office in Clewiston, Florida. The first words out of their mouths were that everybody had to pay back the stimulus check they received last year. I knew this was ridiculous. So I checked around with other H&R Blocks. They told me Clewiston, Florida's H&R Block was misunderstood. They would inform them that they were not supposed to deduct the stimulus check. I waited 2 weeks before returning to file taxes and asked if they were still deducting the stimulus checks. They said yes. I said your not supposed to because I checked around. They laughed at me. I am happy to say that I went to Jackson Hewitt and they gave us an extra $600.00 stimulus check.
 28th of Jan, 2009 by   ex tax preparer 0 Votes
the amount you received for your stimulus payment has to be inputed on your tax return no matter who does it. they might have been misinformed but even if they but the amount in the software they use would not have made a deductions. everyone is freaking out cause they have to put how much they got on this years return and the only reason is so that if you didn't get the full amount or your status changed last year you would qualify for more. i am sorry they were wrong but it wouldn't have affected your return.
 16th of Feb, 2009 by   Jenny Black 0 Votes
You know, I am have been using H and R for ten years, I had a baby last year and so I didnt file but I convinced my fiancee to go to them, we moved to a new town recently and used the local H and R block location Carthage, Missouri. I've never in my life have had to deal with service this bad, not just as far as H and R is concerned but businesses as a whole. First of all, we brought in last years return to get our childrens social security numbers off of, they entered our daughters in incorrectly, seriously delaying the return, then when we finally got notification from the IRS that the return would be here on the 17th, the IRS sent us a notice apologizing for the delay and told us two key tax credits were missed by the preparer, that increased our refund by over 1200 dollars. We complained to the office about the social security number error and they blamed us, even though the preparer read it directly from last years return. Everything that happened was our fault, according to our tax professional ( and I use the word preofessional as loosely as possible). So we didn't even bother contact them about missing the tax credits, because we knew that would somehow be our fault as well.

Above all this, they were not even friendly at the store, I would compare the atmosphere and their attitudes to that of a fast food chain with unhappy teenagers that are annoyed with you for coming to their restaurant and making them work. I will never use H and R block again, even though I recieved good service from their other stores, if they allow one store to get away with that type of behavior and have people working with customers taxes that do not know what they are doing, they are not the kind of company I am going to give my business to.

Jenny Black
Carthage, Missouri
 7th of Mar, 2009 by   Bob 0 Votes
H & R Block charged me $554.00 to do taxes that took my previous accountant (now moved out of State) 1 hour to do, out the door. I am a very good bookeeper and am informed before going to the preparer, but like to have other's coomplete my taxes because they supposedly "know the tax program".

My previous accountant / tax preparer charged $100 / hour. Asking H & R block up front of what cost should be they can not give you an answer other than "after we put everything in then we will know". Of Course, at the end of session you can choose not to have prepared document submitted. What a crock! My wife and I spent nearly 2 hours with the preparer that had to make numerous phone calls to another office because she could not figure how depreciation and rental housing went into their system. This from a 5 year H & R Block Vetran! After, spending 2 hours with this office in Midland, Michigan, wasting time with incompetance and coached the preparer along in their own program to complete. I was ready to leave. Questioning the fee of $542.00 I was shocked. I tried negotiating with office manager and was advised to contact the District Manager about the unfairness of the charge. All I got was lip service. Figuring we already put too much time into the 2008 returns we paid and got out. After settling a bit, I called corporate business office in Kansas made a formal complaint with no response back. Of course I called to check status 3 or 4 times and get "I will upgrade your complaint status to priority, you should here back from somebody in a couple of days". It would have been satisfied with paying up to $250.00 - but, not happy.

The peace of mind I agree that is a scam. That only does cover their mistakes in calculations. Not entry errors or your errors.

I will never use this rip off service again. A matter of fact I might even apply for a job at H & R Block. Side note! My family owns a dairy farm and has very complicated taxes. They go to a privatley owned H & R Block and were charged $380.00. Wow... most Lawyers charge $200 / hour is this place really that good?
 20th of May, 2009 by   nancy 0 Votes
i have always used h&r block, other than the high cost i never had a problem. i became un able to work and filed for my dissability the year before. i told my friend he could claim as a dependent. i took all the paper work to h&r block gave it to the worker explained that my friend was claiming me as a dependant. to make a long story short.when i went to the clinic they denied me my health care and meds because the h&r block put me down as a spouse instead of dependant like i told him. this if not corrected will hurt me on my dissabilityalso. oh yes, i also had to correct him on his work when he said he was getting about 300.00. isaid you need to figure that again he said oh i made a mistake your refund is 2756.00. that should have been my first clue
 21st of Mar, 2010 by   Taxprep4U 0 Votes
Bob your complaint is the one I hear the most. While H&R Block's pricing is very competitive
with Jackson Hewitt and Liberty Tax Service, H&R Block can not and probably never will be able to compete on price with mom&pop shops and some local accountants. Each area of the county is different but in my local area (not a large city) CPA firms charge $350 per hour not $100. You mentioned depreciation and rental housing and said you spent nearly 2 hours.
That sounds about right. H&R Block has no way of importing data from your accountant, so
everything has to be entered again. That takes time. Unfortunately, most people expect every
preparer to be an expert. I wish that was true but in reality H&R Block hires and fires just like everyone else. Demand a Senior Tax Advisor 5 or better yet an Enrolled Agent, whenever you have something beyond a basic return.

In the past H&R Block did not give price quotes. This year they have price ranges, but frankly the ranges are so broad I believe they are of little value to most clients. In your case, I would have told you I will input the information, show you the results, answer your questions, and then if you are not happy with the price, you are under no obligation to pay. I can't be more fair than that.

Frankly, if you believed you preparer was incompetent you should have collected your documents and walked. The last thing you should do is sign and pay.

Regarding Peace of Mind: In my experience, the clients that need it the most are the ones least likely to buy it. Peace of Mind covers the errors I make and the errors the computer makes, provided you make a timely claim. I can't tell you the number of times people have come in with a letter from IRS that they have sat on for 6 to 9 months. At that point, if the IRS's position is legit there is nothing I can do except advise you to pay what is due.

LOL, I love your last paragraph where you say it is a rip off but indicate you might come to work for H&R Block. Priceless!

In all seriousness, you should sign up for the tax course, every taxpayer should.

Tips How to Save Money on Gasoline