logo

Ripoff!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Grand Getaways Vacation Travel Club Complaints & Reviews - Grand Getaways is a big rip-off!

Grand Getaways Vacation Travel Club Contacts & Informations

Grand Getaways Vacation Travel Club

Posted:    Valerie

Grand Getaways is a big rip-off!

I bought Grand Getaways in St. Martin and according to the US office they are not connected, yet now I am a member. I purchased this travel club to eliminate my traveling problems,(which is what they promise). When I called for airfare, it was priced higher than right off the internet. They had no travel locations available when requested, yet the other travel agencies had plenty. They say they can sell your timeshares with no problems, yet after you pay the money you don't hear from them again. If you call the sales office after purchasing, they claim they satisfy 87% of the time, and I guess I fell into the 13%.

Resort Solutions (supposedly the company that sells your timeshare for you) is probably a one person office that takes your money and doesn't even say thank you. When you call her from the Grand Getaways office to see if she can sell your timeshares, she tells you that they would sell easily because you paid so little, add a couple thousand and in 3 months they would be gone. Six months later, she states they are overpriced and won't sell.

Grand Getaways is a big rip-off.

Comments United States Travel & Vacations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Sep, 2007 by   Bonnie Yeomans +2 Votes
We were victimized on ST. Maarten in June 2007 by Grand Getaways Vacation Travel Club and lied to about interest rates and services. Do not buy.
 7th of Sep, 2007 by   Cheryl Cohen +2 Votes
At work, I received a fax from someone who almost became a victim of Grand Getaways. The potential customer was told that a 7 day cruise in an "economy" cabin with bunk beds costs $3000. That is untrue! If you look at ANY legitimate cruise seller such as Vacations To Go or Cruises Only, you will see how much this vacation truly costs and know how much Grand Getaways is stealing with its grossly inflated prices.
 14th of Sep, 2007 by   Trestin -1 Votes
My Grand Getaways vacation was the best experience I ever had. I loved the fact that I was able to book all my travel through there easy to use website. I have been a member for Grand Getaways for two years and always use them for traveling. I love the fact that I know longer have to pay full price on a vacation.
 6th of Dec, 2007 by   linda -2 Votes
I am a happy member of Grand Getaways since 2006. I thank Grand Getaways for bringing happy days to our lifes. Now we able to vacation 2-3 weeks each year for very cheap prices. My wife and I are very flexible so we enjoy taking advantage of Last Minute Deals which only cost us $200 a week. Grand Getaways changed my life!
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   John Camacho +2 Votes
IF ANY ONE CUT PLEASE HELP MY GIVING MY THE PHONE NUMBERS OR THE WEB PAGE OF GRAND GETAGAY VACATION CLUB I WILL BE THANKFULL. IM A BEMBER BUT IS NOT WAY TO GET CONTACT WITH THEM. THANKS A MILLION.
 11th of Nov, 2008 by   nayra Schlecht +2 Votes
i got rip off by grand get away call the police and call chanel 10 came out on the news but it still been a year and they never remburse me my $7, 995.00 in 2007 reported them to better buisness, chanel 10 had an inteview with the owner and he never show up, i dont know how the state atthorney doesnt arrest these people, and make him pay back all the money they have stole from the people.i wont sleep in peace until this happens.
 29th of Dec, 2008 by   Tammy Amoroso +2 Votes
CONSUMERS BECAREFUL, SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!! GRAND GETAWAYS VACATION CLUB aka Coast to Coast Grand Getaways Vacation Club aka as many many many other alias

We've been fighting with the nightmare company for a year now... We put the charge on a credit card and we are now refusing to pay it... Since my last complaint in here... The one and only vacation Grand Getaways booked us on wound up being a total nightmare... We asked to go to Sandy Beaches at Rocky Point in Puerto Penasco Mexico... They told us the Condo was at Sandy Beaches in Rocky Point... They lied to us and booked us 30-40mins away from Sandy Beaches...

Not only did this take months to make this reservation with them... They also managed to destroy our summer vacation...

As for our family members trying to use the nightmare Grand Getaways Vacation Club... They too received the run around by them... Our family members gave up and booked it themselves at way better rates...

Instead of purchasing into a scam like this use Redweek.com they have great deals for everyone...
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   pfalls +2 Votes
We were also scammed in St. Martin by this company. After paying $14, 000 and yearly $199 for dues, we have absolutely NOTHING to show for it and certainly no deed or even a vacation from this deceitful company. We called Scott Whittle and asked that we be refunded our investment and were told no way. We were served alcohol during the presentation and then joined under duress. This was the most awful experience of our lives. We will take further action and hopefully sue them. If anyone else wants to join us, please let us know.
Pam and Dave Falls, Poquoson, VA
 13th of Feb, 2009 by   getaway vacations +3 Votes
This company should be carefully investigated for illegal activity. We cancelled after a day and got a partial refund. They have you sign a paper saying that they will keep a portion of your payment even if you cancel within the 3-day grace period. I didn't think you could sign away your rights of protection under the law this easily. My advice: Stay away from this organization!
 9th of Mar, 2009 by   Jim O'Brien -5 Votes
While I can sympathize with the people who are not happy with their experience with Grand Getaway Vacations, I am very satisfied. IN fact, my wife and I were trying to book a trip for our 20th anniversary and couldn't get a beach front condo in Hawaii at all for the week we requested. Scott Whittle, the CEP personally got involved and within 48 hours we had a 2 bedroom villa on the beach for $429!
Thanks to Mr. Whittle and the Grand Getaways staff we were able to have the time of our lives.
Obviously, there are always people out there that have had a bad experience but they are the ones that complain the most. Its because of people like Scott Whittle that compelled me to post on the blog. He made a difference in a large company when he didnt have to get involved at all.
Jim O'Briens
Palm Coast, FL
USA
 15th of Apr, 2009 by   trudie +3 Votes
We also were sold a package from this company costing $6000.000 with the promise of a week in mexico with a value of $2500 but when we sent the form to claim our holiday we heard nothing back and are still waiting. We booked a holiday to orlando but all that was on offer was westgate lakes in kissimmee. Certainly not the top class accommodation promised from the salesman and no cheaaper than if I had booked it myself. As we are from the United Kingsom we do not know if there are any consumer protection laws. I have now received an email demanding $199 membership fee for the year. I will not be giving anymore money to these people and warn anybody else to be aware of these unscrupulous people.
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   Intelligent Consumer -3 Votes
I purchased my Grand Getaways Vacation Plan 2 years ago and we have been very happy with the prices and quality of resort vacations we have enjoyed. We have stayed at top resorts for less than $400 FOR A WHOLE WEEK for SIX PEOPLE (that's right, less than $400 for a three bedroom luxury unit for ALL six people). A looked on the internet for similar accommodation and did manage to find the same resort but that was advertised at $180 per night (i.e over $1, 260 for the week!).

I also own two weeks of timeshare which we have had for over 10 years now. My timeshare offers similar accomodations but here I pay about $1, 500 in maintenance fees for the two week, plus about $150 each time I exchange a week, plus my exchange membership of about another $100 per year. If I had the choice I would switch my timeshare for more Grand Getaways anyday. Still, both are better than the alternative, which is paying retail.

The way I see it is that all these 'unhappy' people who are complaining really a are a very small (but vocal) minority of Grand Getaway Members. Scanning through their hard-luck stories it seems that most of these 'poor' people made rash decisions or perhaps were mislead by a sales person who 'painted' and overly optermistic picture. GET REAL PEOPLE! If you can't read English and don't understand what you're signing up for, then don't jump-in and cry later. Also, don't confuse Grand Getaways with some of the marketing agancies that sell for them. They are NOT one and the same.
 10th of Oct, 2009 by   high pressure +2 Votes
A friend and I went to a presentation today. She was obviously targeted as she is a senior citizen, a world traveler and was chatting about her trips with one of the reps. They left me alone ! After the presentation, they relentlessly hounded her to join. It was horrible. The top guy whose name I can't remember came over and was so close to her face that we were both very uncomfortable. She was being polite and telling him that she never makes major decisions on the spot and wanted to think about it. He wouldn't hear of it - citing her income and questioning what she did with her money. She told him her finances were private and she felt that he was pressuring her. He slammed her application on the table and angrily told the female rep, "Get this woman out of here." It was unbelievable.
 7th of Feb, 2010 by   Armbruster +3 Votes
Is it time toorganize a class action lawsuit?
 7th of Feb, 2010 by   Armbruster +3 Votes
Is it time to organize a clsss action lawsuit agains Coast to Coast Grand Get Aways?
 12th of Feb, 2010 by   slash069 +3 Votes
LOL, i signed up for this membership 10 years ago, paid my fees, and promptly cancelled. I then moved 1500 miles away.

They tracked me down and have now been harassing me for the past 6 months and tell me that my membership is perpetual and cant be cancelled.

What a joke of an organization.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   Keep speaking out  Best Advice +4 Votes
My parents lost $7, 000 to this scam.

It's obvious the positive posts about this company are planted by the company rather than satisfied customers. I'm not sure how these companies get away with stealing.

Keep getting the word out. Do whatever you can. This is the only way we can assure these companies not only go out of business, but also don't resurface.
 20th of Jul, 2010 by   lee82 +2 Votes
It is a scam. You have to keep paying fees for your 'free holiday' and you can never speak to a human being. This will be a real hassle when trying to claim you prize.

If someone is offering you a free holiday to attend a presentation, it will end up costing you about $250 each to book a trip on a date you don't want.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   Stinson +2 Votes
SCAMERS!!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   Stinson +3 Votes
Me and my wife went to Little Harbor in Ruskin for one of their presentation. Mark Biondi was the speaker, lying about going to the war, just to impress us. Just because he forced us, we had to give him $1250, and then made it hard for us to cancel. They are now in Ruskin, FL. Please, stay far from them, they will take all your money

Buying a Car? Beware of the Tires