logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Bankcard Empire
Money invested with no return
2. (0 mins ago)
Ripoff

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Gap - Old Navy - Banana Republic Complaints & Reviews - Changed Return Policy without Telling Anyone!

Gap - Old Navy - Banana Republic Contacts & Informations

Gap - Old Navy - Banana Republic

Posted:    water

Changed Return Policy without Telling Anyone!

Gap - Old Navy - Banana Republic
I wanted to see if anyone else got screwed over by Old Navy, Gap, or Banana Republic when they changed their return policy and didn't tell anyone. They should have posted it on their website where people would actually see it, or print it on the receipt, or email everyone in their customer base. Customer Service told me to write it to the head of Gap Inc. Here's his info:

Toby Lenk
President, Gap Inc. Direct
Gap Inc. Headquarters
2 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94105

I also plan to file something with the Better Business Bureau. Here's the link for the San Francisco chapter that would handle the complaint: http://www.oakland.bbb.org/

I invite everyone who has experienced a similar issue to write to Toby Lenk, call customer service, and write to the Better Business Bureau. If enough people complain, they'll do something about it. I also noticed there is a blog here, with people who had similar experiences:
Comments United States Retail Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Jul, 2009 by   SSnt 0 Votes
Yes, exact same problem here. I will never shop at a BR, Gap etc again.
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   tfan22 0 Votes
work for the company and the policy changed in April and it is on the bottom of the receipt
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   honolulu_lulu 0 Votes
I agree. I was surprised when Gap (Banana Republic, Old Navy...) changed from an unlimited return policy to a 90-day policy a few years ago, also with no notification, no verbal announcement from store associate at register, and no additional signage, but I understood the reasons.

The new change is absurd. It gives these stores some of the strictest return policies in the industry, and was done with (again) absolutely no notification, no additional signage, and no verbal statement at register. It wasn't until I looked at the receipt that I saw the change, and that passive-aggressive decision is disrespectful of customers who have become accustomed to different policies. This is Marketing 101, folks: you keep your loyal customers by making them feel like part of the family.

I'm not protesting Gap's right to change the policy, that's business. But I am a loyal, longtime customer who has spent thousands of dollars in these stores -- and I'm very disappointed by the sneaky policy change.
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   KJ30 0 Votes
I am now boycotting BR because I returned something a day after there 30 days and lost $10 in the deal. Not worth it, when Jcrew and Limited sell similar stuff and are much more customer service oriented.
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   BrookeMB 0 Votes
CALLING FOR A HOLIDAY BOYCOTT!

I just encountered this and I am VERY UPSET! There is only one Banana in Iowa and I thought I would take a risk and buy a dress there for an event. When I decided to wear something else I thought I would make it back and figured that I could at least get store credit if past the 30 days. Boy was I wrong. My husband had a class there and so he took it for me. despite having the receipt, tags attached and perfect condition (still on the hanger) they would only give us $50 store credit for the $140 dress!

I will never shop at BR once my s/c is used up. Thinking twice about the two shirts I bought for my husband at Old Navy yesterday as well. How can they get away with such a horrible return policy!!?!?! US shoppers need to boycott them this holiday season and get them to rethink their customer unfriendly policy!!
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   sbj079 0 Votes
I bought a pair of the sexy bootcut jeans recently in a size 4. Fit like a glove in the dressing room, and after I washed and dried them once. Wore them for 2 hours one day and they totally stretched out...saggy booty, etc. Went to return them one week from the purchase date...had receipt and tags...big hassle to return. They treated me like I had done something wrong and said I should've bought the size 2 instead. The size 2 was waaaaay too tight in the store, could barely button them...muffin top and worse going on...so I got the 4 which were very fitted. Salesperson called customer service for advice...customer service said to find another size 4 and take measurements of my jeans and the other 4's and if there was excessive stretching, I could get a refund. There wasn't another size 4 in the store, so the manager grudgingly gave me a refund and said it was "just this once"...as if I was always returning jeans to the store. It took me at least 15 minutes to complete the transaction and I really think the only reason I was refunded is because only one person was working the register and a line was forming behind me. I thought Gap used to have better customer service than that. I'm afraid to buy anything there now because I probably won't be able to return it for a refund if I'm not happy with it after one wearing. Nordstrom allows returns, no questions asked.
 21st of Nov, 2009 by   gap234 0 Votes
I also work for the company, there was a sign posted at the cashwrap of the change, and in my store we verbally told every customer about the change. We also highlight the bottom of the receipt with the return policy for those who still have not heard. The policy is also "unwashed, unworn."
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   CarpeNoctem 0 Votes
I work for Old Navy, and we had signs up about the policy change for 6 months and as well as gap234, verbally told each customer. The bottom of the receipt also warned about the change, and has the policy printed out on it. Instead of taking drastic measures and suing a company for something so mediocre, just ask around and learn from a mistake. :-]
 22nd of Feb, 2010 by   WantsARefund 0 Votes
I won't shop at BR, Old Navy, .. anymore. Of course they have a right to change their return policy, but when people have become accustomed to the return policy being one way they are not going to be reading about it on the receipt unless they know there was a change. You don't expect a store's return policy to change. I have shopped at BR, Gap and Old Navy many times over the past year and never was aware of the change in the policy until just a few weeks ago when i tried to return some sweaters my husband got me as gifts 40 days after he had purchased them. There needs to be a better way for them to make customers aware of such a strict return policy change. A sign at all of the registers that can't be missed might help. Signs should be left up for more than 6 months as there seems to be a lot of customers who are still just becoming aware of the changed policy. Sure, they have the right to do it the way they did, but they will be and have alienated a lot of loyal customers who feel like they've been taken advantage of.
 4th of May, 2010 by   dalbora5 0 Votes
Furious...I bought some shorts for my daughters birthday and they didn't fit so I went to return them 40 days after purchase and am shocked that I cannot return them for what I paid even with the receipt. I was not aware of the 30 day policy and at least thought it was 60 to 90 days like the Gap outlets. Anyway, I was told that if I had a gift receipt for my daughters clothes then I could get a full refund within 60 days..how absurd...I would need a gift receipt for my 10 year old daughters clothes to get a full refund but am not entitled to a full refund with the regular receipt because it is over 30 days ...I will never shop at the Gap again and not worth it since it is over 45 minutes away and the outlets are only 20 miles with a 90 day return policy...
 22nd of Sep, 2010 by   Bree4 0 Votes
All GAP Stores posted notice at their registers and on the bottom of their receipts months before the return policy changed alerting customers of the change that would happen in the following months. The return policy is still printed on the bottom of the receipt so you are aware of the policies.
 25th of Dec, 2010 by   easyshopper10 0 Votes
If it takes you more than 90 days, or 3 months, to return something, maybe you should just keep the product. Also, I believe 30 days is more than enough time to make exchanges and returns on retail. If it's really that inconvenient then maybe you shouldn't shope there at all.
 20th of Mar, 2011 by   formerGAPemployee 0 Votes
The changed return policy was clearly advertised in stores, on the receipts, and online. This policy was changed to combat return fraud. The company lost millions of dollars each year with the old policy. The change was better for business. Current store return policy is 60 days for BR and Gap and 90 days for Old Navy which is more than enough time. The online policy is 45 days for all brands.

How to Avoid Being a Mortgage Fraud Victim