logo

Posted:    rena allan

Security Deposit

fpl
Phone: 561-630-1390
I would like to file complaint about fpl utility company. I am a customer of fpl for 10 yrs and been paying my bill. Unfortunately at this time I am the only one employed and get pay on the 15th and 30thof each month. There for I can pay all my bills around the sixteen of the month. I have 2 children under the age of 12. i have to work on a budget. I got a bill from fpl stating that they increase my deposit to $335.00 which i don't have at this time. I called customer service about why my bill is paid on that date, and asked if they can make my billing date as of that date. They said no, in order to waive it i have to sign up with auto payment. I went to an agency for assistance, they told me i am not qualified for assistance. i got another bill from fpl stating that they are going to shut the power off. i got an extention until 10/15/08. i still don't know how i will pay it even with the extention.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Oct, 2008 by   ffemt685 0 Votes
I am a single mother of 3 who works full-time and goes to school full-time. I try very hard to pay my bills on time, but since the increase in FPL rates, my bills have been averaging approximately 300 dollars. I have been late on my bills for several months, but have never been turned off for non-payment. I just received notice that FPL is now requiring me to pay a deposit of $409.00 or they will shut me off. I have been a customer at the same address for over 6 years and now they are requiring a deposit???? I could understand a deposit if I just moved in, to demonstrate that I won't raise my bill and leave. But I've been a resident of the same address for over 6 years and like most are falling on hard times. I think they should be ashamed of themselves and I have no where to turn. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.
 7th of Oct, 2008 by   nora janvier 0 Votes
Same issue. In economically challenging times, this monopoly chooses to strongarm its clients out of money . I have a similar experience and face the same threat. It is organized crime to demand access to someone's account. I have paid late by less than 5 days on two occassions in the past year. I have received a bill for 292 on top of my bill. I am already in budget billing. One would think they would consider thatfactor in determining raising deposits. They also do not respond as to the damage to my wiring due to power surges. They bear no responsibiliuty for repairs but send notices about 16 to 23 percent increases and are advertising surge protection for an unending monthly fee of 8.95month. They put profit before customers. Oh well off to buy some candles, since FPL robs its clients...

Miami Teacher/mom of two cannot afford electricity
 7th of Oct, 2008 by   nora janvier 0 Votes
They must be mass billing for additional deposits to make up for profit losses from all the middle class families and service professionals leaving Florida for lower cost of living.
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   Stephanie Nelson 0 Votes
I completely agree they have just recked me they have managed to take money out of my bank acount when I called them on the 3rd and they said they they would not and now because I dont have the money in the bank I have to pay my bank a 35 dollar fee that I dont have and a additional deposit because I told them to remove me from the automatic bill pay because I cant afford for this to happen every month because I have to pay it 1-2 days after it is due. They dont care about there customers all the care about is the mighty $ You would think that they could give you a few days after the due date right now because everyone is hurting but NO!!! They are going to cause us all to go postal! And the manager I spoke to was rude called me a lier and basically told me I was sh*T out of luck. Some customer service skills they have and then he told me there was no one over his head and that their was no corparate phone number so basically he was the bottom line What a Lie that is. I cant wait to move so I dont have to deal with them anymore their dumb as*es.
 10th of Oct, 2008 by   C 0 Votes
Unbelievable. I looked up "Fpl Complaints" just to see if there were other people with this problem. My story...I have been paying FPL an average of about $420 a month for electric in a large home. My husband is military, and gets paid on a monthly basis. SINCE they will never bend on exactly when your due date is, I have always had to pay the bill a few days after the due date. After 3 years of continued service, they all of u sudden send me a bill for $600 + as an extra deposit. When I called about it they said it was because I requested a payment extension on two occasions. (Even though I PAID when the extension was due) Mind you, that $600 + was ON TOP of my regular monthly bill of $400!!! They were "Gracious" (mean that sarcastically) to allow me to pay the EXTRA deposit split up into two months. Ok...so, I gave these crooks a little over $700 for two months in a row. For those of you familiar with the military pay scale, you probably know that we don't make the bunches of bucks some people think we do. This was an unreal hard time for us those two months. Next...fast forward a couple months, deposit is now paid, back to paying the average $400 a month. (which is insanely a bit more than my car payment, and a THIRD of my rent, that's ridiculous, come ON) So, withouth my husband here, I decide to make a responsible decision, move with the kids to a smaller home, to save on bills. We downscale to a two bdrm apartment. I check my bill a couple days ago, to see that my last bill from the other house is $540. It's for a month and 8 days of service. I also have a bill due at the end of October, for my new place of $200. Instead of freaking out, I figure, it's a good thing, that by moving I have cut my bill in half, and decide to call about a payment plan for that last bill, since again, I couldnt afford a $700 bill all in one month. I figure this will be no problem, considering these people DO have over $600 of MY MONEY sitting in a bank somewhere collecting interest on my deposit right??? W R O N G!!!
A very RUDE customer service agent tells me on the phone that "unfortuneately I am NOT eligable for any kind of extension or payment arrangement because that account is now closed. I will have to pay at least $420 now, the other $120 on the 10th, and then my new $200 bill in a couple weeks.
I ask for a supervisor or manager...you won't believe what she tells me..."I'M SORRY MA'AM BUT MY SUPERVISOR DOES NOT TAKE TELEPHONE CALLS FROM CUSTOMERS."
My reply?..."you're kidding me right? what exactly does you supervisor do then?"
Her reply..."He WRITES MY PAYCHECK"
I then wanted to make sure I understood all of this correctly before I took any other action, so I said..."Ok, let me get this straight, I pay you people over $400 a month for several years, AND you have over a $600 deposit of MY MONEY sitting in an account somewhere, COLLECTING INTEREST, and even though you HAVE that money, OF MINE, as a DEPOSIT, you are going to continue to hang on to that, and REFUSE to work out a payment plan of ANY KIND? Is that correct? Seriously, even though you have a deposit, that you could apply towards my bill if I didn't keep up with my end of a payment arrangement, you STILL are telling me you HAVE to have over $700 from me RIGHT NOW?"

She said "that is correct ma'am. We absolutely will not work on any kind of extension for you at this time. That account is closed now, and it is no longer eligable for an extention. And if you DON'T pay it, it will transfer to your new account and your power will be turned off"

UNREAL

So, what we have here are CROOKS. It's ONE thing for us to be paying outrageous bills in this state. My out of state friends are appalled at what I pay for power. But it's still a whole new ball game for these idiots to have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE skills at all, and be so rude, and give NO ONE, even good paying customers NO SLACK for help when it comes to this type of situation. I was NOT asking for some crazy leeway here, I just wanted to split up $700 in a couple months instead of 2 weeks.
Everyone is having it rough right now, I feel so bad for families and single moms and dads who are working their asses off to support their children, who can't afford to pay these high prices and have to deal with a company so incompassionate, and so unbelievably RUDE. Something REALLY needs to be done about this. I wish SO BAD there would be other power companies we could deal with. I'd NEVER give FPL another DIME.
 19th of Oct, 2008 by   ffemt685 0 Votes
I would just like to follow up my previous post with some good news. I called Ellen Plendl
Regulatory Specialist
Public Service Commission
Division of Service, Safety & Consumer Assistance
850-413-6123 (phone)
850-413-6124 (fax)

like some on this board suggested and they were able to help me reach an agreement with FPL. I don't believe this could have happened without the help of the PCS. So thanks Ellen! I really can't thank you enough for helping me out. I appreciate your understanding, and empathy more than anything. Times are tough, and it's not always easy asking for help. You definitely made it painless and your response time was great. Thanks again!
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by   Carlos Vargas 0 Votes
I have a problem with fpl where I paid for me bill but it was posted to the wrong account. I tried to resolved it over the phone after three hours and they still do not to resolve the issue. They turned off my power and I paid them but to the wrong account. They will put the money into the account after three days but they will not turn on the power till then. So, I asked the money to be returned back to me and they told me NO. I mean you ask for a refund back and they told you no. So I bite the bullet and paid them again so they can return my power. So, I'm looking for a way to see if I can get my money back or something
 24th of Oct, 2008 by   FPLmustbestopped 0 Votes
FPL are thieves. From making ratepayers pay for their equipment damaged during hurricanes, to the flap over renewable energy monies being spent on advertising and promotions, to the arbitrary charges on our bills no one understands, to rate increases for THEIR cost of doing business - FPL must be stopped. Is this America? Where can I sign up to start my own utility company since apparently they can never lose money - ever. When is someone going to stand up to this monopoly and make them responsible corporate citizens instead of government-aided thieves. FPL is enough to make me want to move out of Florida so they can't get one more nickel of my money. Down with FPL!
 21st of Nov, 2008 by    B MAHONEY 0 Votes
FPL is holding there coustomers HOSTAGE and the only thing we can do is pay the ransom.
I concider FPL TERRORISTS in florida. as an fpl hostage i have been paying them for nearly 30 years now & will have to for another 30 years. they have a deposit now for 502 i have been in house for three billings 467, 450, 424and now 310 .i am getting the bill lower every time i fix something the water pump, broken windows, ect. ect.i did buy a fixer uper! when i called fpl and asked if they could not charge extra deposit at this time ?but wait untill another 2 or3 months to see what an average bill would really run ? the answer i got from them was ( you are lucky we dont want more of a deposit!!!)
WHERE ARE ALL OF OUR ELECTED OFFICALS THAT SHOULDE BE STANDING UP FOR US!!!
APPARNTLY THEY MAKE SO MUCH MONEY THEY DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS .

HELLO!! ANYBODY OUT THERE WE NEED HELP.
 21st of Feb, 2009 by   Philbert 0 Votes
FPL (Florida Power & Light) is also extorting me for $530. From all of the complaints I have reviewed, and news paper stories I have read, the conclusion is that this is authorized extortion by the State of Florida Public Service Commission. (what an twist on words ... public service?) I wonder if anyone has investigated any ties or relationship there might be between The State of Florida regulators and FPL. ???

One thing I will say is that this is the Republican government at work that you elected, folks. You wanted it? You got it! (for the record...I did not vote for these bums) This is how your "red state" government treats you. How do you like it? When are you going to wake up and pay attention? When are you going to vote for the right people who would serve "the public" instead of huge corporations? It is not a far stretch to think that Florida wants you out of here...if you're not rich enough. Think about it!
 24th of Feb, 2009 by   zero18 0 Votes
Call this person.. she will help

Ellen Plendl
Regulatory Specialist
Florida Public Service Commission
Division of Service, Safety, & Consumer Assistance
1-800-342-3552 (phone)
1-800-511-0809 (fax)
 3rd of Mar, 2009 by   Olivier 0 Votes
Same thing, I m military retired, I received my SS and military retirement on the 1th and 3rd of each month. I call FPL to say I can paid my bill on time, just few days late, or ask if FPL can move my due date, and FPL say: No ! It's computerized so we can move your due date.

I paid 1 time $220 + $79 of additional deposit, and the last statement the due date is on the 3rd of Feb, that is really not business like, it's just take customers in hostages.

May be we can build something to help others customers and put our force together again FPL.
 13th of Mar, 2009 by   Steve Myers 0 Votes
I call this unfair business practices, these people are JERKS. The only reason why they dont care is because of two reasons:
1. They ARE a monopoly that MUST be busted.
2. The Government allows them to do it.

My notice to our gov't officials is TAKE NOTICE: Look at BUSH, he and his thugs did bad things, didnt represent the american people well and helped ruin this country. TAKE NOTICE if you dont do something about it, YOU WILL BE VOTED OUT and that stinging sensation you will feel at the seat of your pants will be our FOOTS IN YOUR 4SS!
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   inda dark 0 Votes
FPL... AKA MAFIA..
SOME ONE SAID IT ABOVE. THIS IS STRONG ARM ROBBERY. THEY TELL YOU HAVE TO PAY THE DEPOSITS OR ELSE. THERE IS NO GETTING AROUND IT.ITS A SHAME BUT ITS NOT GOING TO CHANGE. A 100, 000 PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TO STOP PAYING IN ORDER FOR SOME-ONE TO HEAR THE CRIES.

I HAVE WORKED FOR 14 YEARS STRAIGHT WITH NO INTERUPTIONS UNTILL DEC 20TH WHEN I WAS SENT HOME. JUST LLIKE THAT. IF IT WASNT FOR FAMLIY AND FRIENDS, I WOULD BE IN THE DARK. I AM SITTING WITH A FINAL NOTICE READY TO BE DISCONECTED ANY DAY NOW.
WHEN I CALLED THEM FOR HELP THEY SAID FIND THE MONEY USE ALL YOUR CARDS USE YOUR FRIENDS YOUR FAMLIY ANYTHING BUT PAY YOUR BILL. SAD BUT THEY DONT REALLY CARE ABOUT US. IF FPL STARTS TO CARE ABOUT US THEN THEY WILL GO BANKRUPT? OR WILL THEY.I WISH SOME ONE WOULD LOOK IN TO THERE BOOKS. I BET THEY WOULD FIND SOME CRAZY SHIT.I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO PAY I HAVE KIDS AND HAVE MEDICAL NEEDS. ITS JUST SAD !!!
 23rd of Jun, 2009 by   Jaleal 0 Votes
I had a problem with FPL just today. I paid my bill of just $200 through Wal-Mart 2 weeks ago. This was supposedly a passed due bill because a couple months ago our budget billing didn't automatically go through due to some unknown reason, the money was there. They then back charged us all this supposed money we were saving through budget billing that was over $500, and we paid that about 3 weeks ago, plus 2 weeks ago another $200 through Wal-Mart, and a guy came today and shut off our electric, a total surprise to us. He wouldn't work with us or anything, he just said he wanted $200 CASH or he was going to shut it off, and we didn't have that much cash on hand so he did. I then have been spending the entire day on the phone with Wal-Mart money center and FPL trying to straighten things out. Apparently the payment was applied to the wrong account number. None of this seemed to matter to FPL though. I talked to a bunch or customer service people and was being told that it was my fault for not double checking that it was paid. Me and my wife couldn't believe this, we have 3 small children, and one is a 4 month old baby and the heat index was over 108 degrees today. The only thing they would tell me after Wal-Mart got the payment straightened out was that they would turn on my electric within 48 hours.

This is horrendous service. I mean we paid over $700 in the past month alone and they still shut me off due to a clerical error and then won't fix things in a timely manner. I used to live in PA and never had problems like this with any utility company. I can't believe that they were telling me they had nothing in place to take care of emergencies like this or to rectify problems that are not the customers fault. Well I've been trying to get a job in PA again so I can move back up, this is all the more reason to try harder.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   Robert Greene____ 0 Votes
OMG, I am using a generator tonight because of FPL, we paid their extended deposit because my daughter moved in with her kids for 6 months and they raised the deposit, so they added 250.00 to my bill last month, it was paid and now I’m sitting without power because they turned it off at 4:30 in the evening before I could stop them, I live 70 miles from my job so couldn’t make it home in time. Plus they left a ticket saying I now owe 600 dollars to turn it back on?? I have the receipt however tonight my family sits in the dark until tomorrow. This saddens me not only for myself however others who has to go thru this. They should be ashamed of themselves and the director of fpl needs to be removed from his position. This has to stop, its simply wrong… Please email me at timexone@hotmail.com with more complaints so we can submit them all at once to the BBB to prevent another family like ours from every having to experience this, our silence is our worst enemy… I have never done this however I am up for the challenge… Its time to stop this monopoly or our elected officials will go unemployed… Please people, if you are here, it’s for a reason. Contact me… Together we will build a new tomorrow together, But I need your help.

Robert Greene
27 Wood Lawn
Palm Coast Fl, 32164
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   kenelad 0 Votes
In the course of 6 weeks I have paid over 1100.00 dollars to FPL. I was out of town and got home on a Sunday nite @ 11:00 P.M. and foun d my power had been off for several days. One could only imagine how my house smelled. We lost all our food in the fridge, meaning everything had to be thrown out. This is where the nightmare begins. I made a payment over the phone, now keep in mind my wife has paid our bills for 34 years and is now suffering rom clinical depression. I've been a customer for 22 years and had never been lat unil recently.two weeks after that payment I made they showed up at my door wanting another 240.00, two weeks aftter that they showed up at my door wanting a 400.00 deposit. The only bill I had received was due on 8/25/09 this was the 24th when he was at my door to turn off my power.
I explained to him that I didnt have the money and that I would have to find some money somewhere, so he told me to write him a check and that would give me a little bit of time. The little bit of time was that day. The check was deducted from my avvount the very same day I gave it to him. How can that happen ? My uneployment is direct deposit and was issued on the 25th, much to my surprise it didnt get posted to my account until 2 days later, how can FPL get a check debited from my bank account and the State of Florida cant get a direct deposit credited to my account until 2 days later what is wrong with this picture. So I guess Monday they will be at my door again to turn my power off. I have no more blood, oh I mean money to give them
 10th of Sep, 2009 by   brokein FL 0 Votes
Problems with FPL ? call (850)488-4441 and or (850)488-2221 and report them.
I also complained to my state rep. Maybe you should e-mail yours?

15th of Sep, 2009 by   EDMO 0 Votes
Hello
I just resolved a dispute with FPL over an outrageous deposit. I spoke courteously and calmly, and came away completely satisfied. They waived the deposit!! thanks to Ellen P for her assistance and advice.
Mr O
 5th of Feb, 2010 by   tiffany Koonce 0 Votes
Dang I thought they were only picking on me! The are doing me the same way but my bill is $300 and it has to be paid in 3 days (but I just got the notice) fpl sucks and we need another electricity company

Nigerian, Lithuanian and German Scammers Targets Ebay