logo

Posted:    Ingegard

Food stamps

Goverment
Florida
The EBT card should be for food only, how come people use then to go and get 17% Sherry cooking wine at the groceri store and get away
with it?? They are drinking up the EBT cards that way!

I work hard and can't even get help with anty benefits cause I work!!

Somebody needs to look in to this fast, this is my tax money they are drinking up!

Thanks!!!

By the way, my friend is an alcoholic and this is how he gets drunk on the 1st every month

Comments United States Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Nov, 2009 by   ms.p -4 Votes
OH get a life and complain about something else more important
I bet if u could do it too you would
there are more things in this world to complain about than worring about what someone buyes with food stamps
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   ms.p -3 Votes
F.Y.I.
some people on food stamps pays taxes too

I though you should know this before you complain about food stamp purchases again.
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   simplicity89 +1 Votes
I was thrilled to find this complaint and also to add to it. I work at a local mass merchandiser, so I see more than my fair share of EBT / government /welfare program abuse. On one occasion, a young black couple bought a 47.50 package of snow crab legs and paid for it with EBT stating that they wanted to try it and if they did not like it, they would just throw it out because "the guvmints payin' fo it". I was so disgusted by these people that I never said anything and just let them go on there way - not that there is much that I can say or do. I also see people using EBT to buy junk food, candy, chips, and soda . . and energy drinks on occasion. I thought EBT was made available by the US government to help nourish those who cannot make ends meet on their wages. Twice now I have had this older black man come in at about 10:30 at night when I am trying to close down my department, who buys a ton of stuff (including hot prepared foods - which cannot be purchased on EBT) and then both times argues with me that his fried chicken would not go through on EBT. All the time I notice that he has a huge wad of cash in his wallet, yet he cannot just pay the 5-6 dollars for the hot food items out of his own cash. Instead, I have to void off the hot foods, and they then go to waste because they cannot be resold. Something else that truly bothers me about black people and EBT - they always seem to have this horrid sense of entitlement about it. I have seen it before, a black lady, with cash-stuffed pocket book and Mercedes car keys in hand, buys a huge load of candy, soda, and garbage food with EBT and then complains to me that she cannot get cash back on her EBT card. What do you say to people like this? It just frustrated me so much, and I know I should not judge people based on what I see, but the stereotypes are very true, only becoming more set in stone each and every day. Every time I have seen white people use EBT (Which is not very often at all) they use it to buy canned goods, fresh vegetables, and nourishing food items that they really do need - not tons of junk food, nor do they carry an air of entitlement about it during the transaction. Just my rant, I don't know what more I can do about it, but I think there needs to be a huge welfare reform here in the US.
 8th of Jan, 2010 by   S#!T +2 Votes
like me i work and pay takes i have since i was old enough, not too. mention my family was poor so i had to help work to pay rent. I don't purchase wine for cooking or drinking with my EBT card i buy food to make healthy meals :veggies, fish, fruit etc. with no EBT i would live off top ramen because of the prices where i live. So just because you may have seen one person do this doe not make every one that way! I'm sick of people like you ! The person who when i was 8 years old stood behind my single mom of three and gave dirty looks and huffed and puffed becaus they had to wait and "their hard earned tax $" were being wasted. Not every poor person is a mooch some people need help to survive and dont take advantage and for you to zoom in and sterotype is shamefull way for a human to see. excuse my grammer but i care little of that just as you just see all EBT holders as winos. open your eyes to the larger picture or shut up.
 8th of Jan, 2010 by   JayDeee  Best Advice +5 Votes
If this was really a 'friend' of yours, you'd get off your duff and do something about it - LIKE A REAL FRIEND - instead of coming on the internet and making sweeping generalizations about millions of people based on your personal experience with a whopping number of one persons.

Some friend you are. Does your 'friend' know you think he's a POS and that you talk about him in public to complete strangers?

All you welfare alarmists need to go take a long look at yourselves in the mirror. To rational, normal people...you all sound insane.
 19th of Jan, 2010 by   Mute254 +3 Votes
Regardless of his "whopping number of one persons'' encounter, it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Working at a grocery store right across from the "other side of the tracks" will show you a lot. People, buying junk food for their fat ass children, some even selling their food stamp cards for cash to others. I've seen people come in with 4 or 5 food stamp cards at once, none of them with the same name on the card. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't belong to them. Seeing other people, withdrawing money from their EBT Cash section of the account to by beer, cigs, and lottery tickets. A whole system based on weakness. I'm not gonna lie to you, the majority of the people that come in where I work, abuse the system. I'm gonna say around 70 to 80 percent of the people that come in are abusing the system in some way or another. So if you won't take another's testimony about seeing "one person" and "hating people like you"...then take mine. I've worked at this place for nearly 6 years. Started in high school and now into college. It's a good job with flexible hours and decent pay. A college student can't ask for much more than that. So if you plan on knocking on my job, don't. I've seen it. Take my word for it and quit antagonizing people just for the sake of it.
 24th of Jan, 2010 by   sweetgirl +3 Votes
too the racist complaining about black people and ebt cards, where i live in arlington texas, it's white people and only white people that have approached me trying to sell foodstamps to me, a hardworking, black mother(and wife) of four. i think you should check your facts and worry about what the "guv'ment" is missing out on because of ALL who misuse it.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   Sailorlitebrite +4 Votes
I work in a grocery store ( have for years ) and I can tell you that it's extremely frustrating seeing all these people wearing designer clothes, paying with EBT and then giong right over to the lottery machine and spending at least 100 bucks DAILY. They need to make EBT a lot more like WIC and narrow down what is possible to get with it. I'm not against people getting food stamps, after all...it is needed in some cases, but please. Narrow it down a bit more so that it can be used for what it's actually intended for.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   simplicity89 -2 Votes
Of course "sweetgirl" pulls the race card - I knew someone would. Not that this really matters, but I am not racist - I only tells 'em as I sees 'em.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   camarojoe -2 Votes
You have got to be kidding with all of these complaints agaisnt people with food benefit cards. I will be completely honest and say that I go to a $25, 000 a year college, my father sends me $500 for rent and other bills, I also have two jobs at my school (making about $250 every two weeks). I have a food benefits card and I did not lie at all on my application. I told the complete truth in my interview and I am able to receive the max amount a single individual can receive ($200 a month). Now some people may tell me im cheating the government. Well as a 20 year old college student, I am never going to see a cent of the social security I have been paying into. My own economics teacher congratulated me on getting the card.
 4th of Mar, 2010 by   Drekk454 -1 Votes
This is all Bullshit I am on the EBT program becuase I can't work due to the recession out here in PHX the family I live with is on it as well. Mom is unable to work let alone get out of bed sometimes her two kids both go to school my other room mate has very little work experience and as for me I am the go for and chauffeur tot he family I am not able to get a job because I am helping my new mom with her medical appointments and keep the house fixed and going. People have said I am cheating the system becuase supposedly I can work well sorry I can't get a job like other people can I have been trying for 3 years now. I use EBT I buy healthy food and yes occasionally junk food so what I am not afraid to admit I need help but I am pissed that everyone here says that only thieves and the likes use EBT. I follow the rules and I do what is right so stop saying all EBT users are lazy or abusing the system yeah you may live near bad parts of town so of course you are going to see people abusing the system but do not judge all of use by the bad ones you see.
 19th of Mar, 2010 by   Jesso +4 Votes
My family of five has been on EBT for going on four months now. It was one of the hardest, most humbling things for me to walk in and apply for this, but I can tell you, when I received that card in the mail, I cried in relief walking back to the house. Yet when I go shopping, I dread going through the checkout because I feel so bad having to use my "welfare". I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way, either. I buy fresh fruits/vegies, whole wheat breads/pastas, frozen vegetables, yogurt, low-fat cheeses, etc. and try to buy the store brand whenever possible. Occasionally, I will buy a store-brand bag of chips or a bottle of pop, but feel guilty for doing it and dread facing the cashiers.

Most of them are very discreet and nice, but there are a few, well... . You know. They see that you are one of "those people" on food stamps, their tone gets a little clipped when they hand you your receipt, and they won't look you in the eyes.

I wish they knew that I am looking for a job- I want one desperately!- but EVERYONE in our area is doing the same. There was a massive lay-off at a local factory and now the most mundane positions are absolutely flooded with applications. My husband works so hard to support us, but since his work is dependent upon the weather conditions- and the weather has been absolutely awful for months- it has been nearly impossible to scrape by.

My children don't wear new clothes. The Salvation Army $1 kid's section is where I shop. For their shoes, too. I try to buy only things that look new or nearly new, though. They don't dress at the height of fashion, but they look clean and respectable. We drive a 13 year old minivan we bought for a few hundred dollars. We very, very rarely eat out, and if we do happen to, it's usually a burger off the dollar menu somewhere.

I am SO very grateful to have the EBT card- it has meant my children have good, healthy things to eat. Please try to understand that there are people out there who are struggling- hopefully for just a little while- and this service is invaluable to them. We understand how you could feel frustrated at the thought of someone getting a "free hand out", but a lot of us want to be back on our feet, supporting our families, just as much as you want us off of the food stamps.
 22nd of Mar, 2010 by   WhatAWonderfulLife 0 Votes
Well I work a 25 hr a week shift at a local grocery store dont make enough to afford to live without having 2 roommates they wont give me any more hours been trying to get full-time for 11 months now but they dont want to pay the benefits. Just had my car shit the bed and repair is going to be 3, 500 dollars I owe 4, 000 on the car so looks like i now wont have a car to get me there my mouth is hurting so bad went to the dentist that was fixed around my salary and paid 44 dollars to get a tooth pulled i think its infected because it took them like 5 min to pull it and its been a week said it would heal in 3 days and as far as i know i cant get assistance from anyone because my wife and i make like 400 a week put together. so im pretty much shit out of luck
 23rd of Mar, 2010 by   precious23 +1 Votes
I am so disgusted reading all this BS! I am a white woman who is married, I have 3 children and 2 step children, I've worked in a restaurant for 15 years and I've been going to college for the past 3 years, I'll graduate in 1. I live in a poor neighborhood where people of all races, religions, cultures and backgrounds live. Sometimes I've needed food stamps and sometimes I've been able to get by without them. I use coupons when I don't have a bridge card and I use them when I do have a bridge card. I buy fruit, vegetables and JUNK FOOD with or without the bridge card and I don't feel like it's anyone's business!! I work, I pay taxes and I don't give a damn how anyone else feeds themselves or their kids as long as they're eating!! I also believe that everyone black, white, poor, rich, fat or skinny deserves junk food once in a while!! Simplicity89 sorry to inform you but yeah you are a RACIST!!! Mute254 that's exactly what you need to do BE MUTE cause you sound like an idiot and i hope you don't work at my grocery store passing judgment on the people you're supposed to be serving!! none of you are better than any of the people you encounter, you just think you are, which in my opinion makes you worse!!! By the way Simplicity89 with the simple mind, Sweetgirl didn't pull the race card you moron all she said is that people of all races misuse the system which is absolutely true!!
 25th of Mar, 2010 by   ltcman18 -2 Votes
Simplicity89 you are a Racist son of a bitch!
 1st of Apr, 2010 by   Mute254 +2 Votes
Remember the part where I said that "around 70 to 80 percent of the people that come in are abusing the system in some way or another"? I never accused precious23 of being in that majority. Precious23, you might be in that minority. I don't know that for sure because I don't know you so, obviously, I wouldn't even consider accusing you. And that goes for Drekk too. There is 20 to 30 percent margin where people DON'T abuse the system and clearly that isn't "saying all EBT users are lazy or abusing the system". Don't assume that I am talking about you. The only point I was making was that where I work, where I alone deal with around 1000 customers a week give or take 50, I see the signs of abuse to the system and weak internal controls to prevent it.

Yes, I am sure that the ones complaining work hard and need some assistance and the ones who can't find a job need it. Times are tough, I get it. I believe that simplicity89 brought up a good point about controlling what is bought. Little Debbie swiss rolls are a luxury item, not a necessity. If you want to buy junk food because everyone "deserves junk food once in a while", do so without assistance and pay out of pocket. Although simplicity89 strayed a little bit and went to the racist card (maybe he did, maybe he didn't), I believe that was his (or her) main point and it is a valid one.

Now, remember, I, in no way, accused anyone of being lazy or abusing the system. I offered my experience, which is more than enough to voice my opinion based on some amount of fact (in my grocery store only). This can be a friendly discussion on both sounds of the argument.

And to precious23, being mute has no effect on typing, but with speech. Just a friendly reminder :)
 2nd of Apr, 2010 by   notsohungryanymore +1 Votes
I am sickened by people who abuse the food stamps system. They do make it very difficult for those who really need it.

A little over a month ago I received expedited EBT card. I am disabled and out of work for over a year. Savings evaporated very quickly by unexpected expenses about the same time I had to quit work. Getting food stamps was the best thing for me, as I now get a variety of food instead of eating ramen on occasion and remaining constantly hungry. My health and energy increase has been dramatic.

I just want to point out a few things. I have NO money (I am awaiting a decision from SSI). I have food stamps, but I cannot get toothpaste, toilet paper, etc. (I am living with family members who resent having me here and will share very little.) Due to the nature of my disabilities I often buy food that others may find excessive or luxurious. I cannot take long to prepare food so nearly all my meals must be ready-to-microwave. I am also borderline hypoglycemic which means I need to have sugary foods on hand, as well as salty ones. "Junk food", in other words, is a necessity for me. I still purchase quite a bit of ramen to balance out the cost of prepared meals so that I at least have something to eat. I also buy fruits and vegetables but they must be in a ready-to-eat form (bananas are a favorite), but as these go bad quickly it would probably seem disproportionate.

I know it's got to be frustrating to see people abuse the system, especially in the percentages cited, but please also remember some people may have a need for the odd foods they buy. Most cashiers are quite nice and discreet, but I have gotten some dirty looks when purhcasing sweets for my hypoglycemia, or mints for my stomach problems (since I cannot buy actual medicine).

All in all, the food stamps have been a miracle to me.

Oh, as for nice clothes...I have a decent wardrobe from a prosperous time years ago, and from hand-me-downs, second-hand stores, etc. The cheap clothes wear out quickly but the nicer clothes can last for years even when the money is gone. Just another thought to keep in mind.
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by   krw2121 -2 Votes
I also work at a grocery store my husband is in the military and I'm in school and we don't get food stamps, instead we scrape by and are very thoughful with where our money goes when it comes to groceries buying cheap bananas instead of five dollars per lb grapes and cheap cuts of meat etc. I see the same thing seventy to eighty percent of people using ebt cards buying name brand junk and snack food a live lobster today( one of two sold) and the highest cuts of meat. WHY SHOULD MY MONEY (taxes I'm paying) FEED THOSE ON FOODSTAMPS BETTER THAN IT FEEDS MY FAMILY? Maybe all those receiving aide should really look at where your grocery money is coming from and thank all of us paying taxes for your family to eat by purchasing essentials. The foodstamp program should work more like WIC and allow for food essentials only.
 7th of Apr, 2010 by   katicake +1 Votes
I am amazed at the turn of events that this topic has created! I stumbled upon this site while looking for an answer to the question "can I use my EBT card at Walgreens". I still do not have my answer, but this conversation put a screetching halt to my search. I wanted to see if Walgreens accepted EBT cards so that I could go there to purchase CANDY! Does that make me a bad person? am I 'using' the system? The only one who knows the answer to those questions is ME. I'd like to elaborate. Today is April 7, it is three days after Easter. My daughter decided to spend Easter at her father's (with her baby brother) this year. Although I had already purchased a small amount of Easter basket items for her (which would have been impossible, had it not been for my EBT card), I decided to take the opportunity of a delayed celebration to purchase further items at a greatly reduced price. You may think I'm full of it, but I actually crocheted her three small baskets, as I was unable to actually purchase one with an EBT card and no real cash to speak of. If I decide to buy Easter candy, or snacks, or whatever it is that makes my daughter happy, that is my choice, I don't mind eating a Spam or tuna sandwich for this purpose. You have to budget your EBT the same way that you budget your money. You do without somethings to do this. Just because you have limited money, do you never splurge? Never over spend on something frivilous? I don't think so. This is where you spend hours on couponing and store deals, and maybe have BOGO hot dogs, instead of the healthy 97% beef burger. The fact that someone is in need of financial (food) help, does not mean that ANYONE else has the right to regulate how they eat! Some (actually most) people do not cook and eat healthy. Quite frankly, it is expensive. I can tell you that my daughter has never liked meat. Makes it hard to feed her. Sometimes I'm just happy that I've found something that she actually likes and will eat more than 2 bites of. These items may seem wasteful to someone else, but to us, they are staple, and we are greatful for them. I do not believe for one second that people with financial dificulties should no longer desire, let alone crave, 'junk food'! And if they are able to budget and finagle their weekly menu to include these (actually important) items, more power to them (us)! I would like to add at this time, because so many people feel that they are owed an explaination, that I am 44 years old, and this is the first time in my life that I have taken the opportunity to utilize any sort of help like this. I know that some people abuse the system, but for the most part, the system helps those who need it. Nothing is fool-proof, so get over it. If you're upset about contributing to the lower income's junk food habits, how are you going to feel being laid up in a hospital bed for thousands of $$$$ due to a coronary?!!! Relax, it's all for the greater good. Bitching and complaining only spreads more negativity, why not find something that makes you feel good and spread that around! That being said, I am more determined than ever to go out and buy my daughter some well deserved Easter treats for our personal celebration tomorrow ... with my EBT card! I hope I did not offend anyone here, as my purpose was to do the opposite. God Bless us everyone!
 11th of Apr, 2010 by   Greg Patrick +1 Votes
In fact, I think hot foods should be allowed. In some areas, hot foods are cheaper than cold foods. The reason it works for all food. Is because fruits & vegetable are expensive. Think about it. Leave two weeks on junk food or leave one week and starve the second week. It is really not that much benefit with the card. You don't get very much at all. For the one in the military. They have there own food help programs for the other spouse. You possible could still qualify for ebt card. I even meet a person working at a grocery store, tell me the get food stamps, because her rent is to high. Yes, if you rent or mortgage is two high. Then you can get food stamps. Some states even count your cars against you. Indiana change that, they only count 2 cars, 1car is ok unless it a luxury item, you could sell & get another card. 2 cars is ok if you both work. I think county card against is really not that smart. You need a car to go get grocery.

Anti Gay Marriage Scam