logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Luxe Models
I am sure that this service can’t cost $1000…
2. (3 mins ago)
SBI ATM Card
TO BLOCK LOST SBI ATM CARD
5. (18 mins ago)
Frederick J. Hanna & Associates
Never pay them until you go to court

Consumer Tips & Tricks

298 Orange Ave. Suite B
Goleta, California
Phone: 805.683.8600
Firststepequity.com
Beware Beware of this Firststepequity.com, this is a total scam.

All they do is post and post everyday to get you to pay $40.00 for forclosed homes. It is not
as easy as it sounds, if you want a list of forclosed homes for free, contact the banks in your
area, they list them for free.

This is a scam to sell you for $40.00 a month for foreclosure homes listings. Don't believe it.
It is a scam. BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE
Comments United States Scam Contests
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of May, 2009 by   First Step Equity -6 Votes
First Step Equity is not a scam. We are accredited with the better Business bureau and a member of the Goleta Chamber of Commerce. It is true that you can get free listings of REO's from local banks for free but those are only properties owned by that particular bank. We get our listings from title companies nation-wide and our actual members who put the information of their pre-foreclosed home on our website themselves. We do agree acquiring a pre-foreclosed home is not always easy but it is very possible and we see it happen every day. We also provide our clients with more than simple listings. Our detailed website includes sections about buying tactics and various information very important to the process. If you want to do further research on our company check out our website at www.FirstStepEquity.com
 14th of May, 2009 by   first step scam -1 Votes
wow, "We are accredited with the better Business bureau" wow, just luck up what there bbb score is- its an F. they are not accredited with the better Business bureau

this place IS a scam, and i should know. i previously worked there.
 19th of May, 2009 by   ripped off +1 Votes
its not just 40 dollars as they would have you believe its 40 dollars per month and the easiest way to cancell by far is to cancell your credit card. good luck.
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   fabster +3 Votes
these poeple are very shifty and use inappropriate advertising. i did not give them my firty dollars which I am guessing would have been wasted...they advertised under legitimate rentals and then make a sales ptich to get your money ...very misleading and unethical
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   thescamkilla +3 Votes
plus the jerk that runs its just goes to daddy when he messes up, google HR NATIONAL that is this fools last scam and jam operation
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   HomeShopper +2 Votes
I just found a listing on Craigs list for rentals. They are telling me that they have lease to own options with no downs. What should i look out for? I need and want to move my family by end of year and really would love a lease to own option if that option really does exist in NORCAL (Bay area)
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   little cobra +2 Votes
Yes I too got scammed by this FIRSRTSTEPEQUITY. It was such a fraud, they took my money...At first they make themselves available to you and then they don't even answer your phone calls when u try to unsubscribe with them, , , , , how very convinient... BOOOOOOO...Don't get tricked like I did..
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   nijuuf +3 Votes
Yes, this is definitely a scam. They advertise on Craig's List as "One Year Lease" "No Credit Check" "No Deposit" and "Only Pay Default Amount." I called the "Customer Service" line and they said the default amount is typicallt $1, 000 - $4, 000...there are some defaults as high as $50K! I did pay the $40 and as soon as I went to the site, lo and behold the properties that I saw on Craig's List were not even there!
 13th of Sep, 2009 by   FIRST STEP EQUITY... FAKE COMPANY +3 Votes
I found this home on FIRST STEP EQUITY and I went to look at it and could noticed that it looked very lived in. I left a note on the door for the owner to call me. He never did. So I thought maybe he didnt get it, so I went and left another one. He still didnt call me. So I went over there one more time and left a very detailed message and he finally called me. To my surprise he yelled at me, in between asking me questions about how I came up with the conclusion he was losing his home. He said it was absolutely ridicious to think that I would lose my 400 thousand dollar plus home when I only owe a remaining balance of 70, 100 dollars and the default being only 2, 900 after being yelled at I called first step equity hoping to find out more information on this house because I was thinking it must be a scam. Chris re assured me it wasnt and that the home would be up for auction in 7 weeks. However, after speaking with Chris I did what he told me to do which was call the lender and the trustee. Conveniently none of the numbers he told me to call where in service. Meanwhile he never answered anymore of my phone calls. They sure didnt forget to charge my account 40.00 a month for three months without me knowing. To top it all off I was told it would be a one time fee of 40.00
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   researching my money -2 Votes
I usually try to do my research on a company BEFORE I give them any of my hard earned money. I noticed "first step scam" posted that this company has an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau. I just looked it up myself and they actually have an "A-" . I don't know how you can confuse and F with an A. For one, buying a forclosed house is difficult if you're not using a real estate agent then you have to do the work yourself. I for one am giving my business to this company for the simple fact that they ARE accredited with the better business bureau and because of their rating. If you can find a better rating (with in the BBB website) on a company who does this same business I'd like for somebody to post that information. Thank you.
 13th of Oct, 2009 by   Foxbutler -2 Votes
This company does have an A- with the BBB, not an F. They provide you with contact information for homes and they will walk you through the process so you know what to do when you find one that you want. If you don't want to pay $40 for it, just don't! Don't pay $40 and then get mad that you didn't find a home. They can't control what you do with the information they give you. Read their response at the beginning of this list of comments.
 15th of Oct, 2009 by   lcf +2 Votes
This company is a total fraud. I was scammed by the smooth talking sales pitch which included, "Yes it is really that easy to contact the sellers and take over payments". One more company trying to take advantage of people in tough times. Shame on them. Do not give them your money.
 25th of Oct, 2009 by   Chris Wong 0 Votes
FIRST STEP EQUITY IS THE SAME AS ANCHOR HOUSE FINANCIAL AND AMERICAN FINANCIAL ONLINE. IT IS OWNED BY MDSQ PRODUCTIONS LLC WHICH IS REGISTERED WITH THE DEPT. OF CORPORATIONS IN SACRAMENTO, CA.

Registration #200813710015

THE OWNER IS MIKE DAVENPORT. THE LAW FIRM REPRESENTING THEM IF YOU NEED TO SERVE THEM WITH LAW SUITS IS ...CHARTER CLAIBORNE HUGHES
AND THE ADDRESS IS 21 East Canon Periodo Street Suite 218, Santa Barbara, CA.

Phone numbers are 213-291-1525, 805-680-8837, 630-669-5369

Call the US Attorneys office and DA in Santa Barbara, Ca.
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   Chris w.w. -1 Votes
AMENDMENT TO: FIRST STEP EQUITY IS THE SAME AS AMERICAN STANDARD ONLINE AND ANCHOR HOUSE FINANCIAL
 16th of Nov, 2009 by   theskamkilla 0 Votes
not true jerk First step is not any other scam but the one they pose as
 16th of Nov, 2009 by   theskamkilla -1 Votes
Member since May 1, 2009
Goleta, California
Add to my Associates
Invite Member to a Group
Send Message
Posting summary

Just because Chris got fired he is linking first step to the other companies he is a liar and full of it, get a life go to school and leave first step and any other companies alone or you will be in court
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   Chris WWW 0 Votes
There's no honor amoung thieves. And I have never worked for any of these companies.
ALSO I am well educated much to your shagrin, working with the feds to bring all of you down. Speaking of court, all of you better get your defense lawyers because you will need them.
 19th of Dec, 2009 by   internetmarketing -1 Votes
So funny Chris how you say you are working with the Feds. If that where true 2 things would be happening.
First: you would not be posting on here saying that you are working with the feds.
Second: You would not be throwing around threats of people having to get lawyers and court.
You are so full of yourself, you do not know what you are talking about at all. If the Feds where on to something then they would say something themselves and not on Complaintsboard.com. Get a life. Also you are going around here throwing around a lawyers name. Does that lawyer even know what you are doing? I doubt it and that alone is a crime of itself. So if anyone needs to get a lawyer it looks like you should. You go around all day and just write scams because you are bored, have no life, and no family to spend time with. Chris you have posted these Scams on over 20 sites all together.
 22nd of Dec, 2009 by   G101 0 Votes
First Step is just posting a service that title companies and the county you live in offer to you for free. This information is public record. If you go to the county office you can get a list of defaults for free. Title companies are directly working through the county to check titles and record deeds so they have access to all county records they to will give you this service for free through their websites. Just because a home is reporting in default does not mean that it is actually in the process of being foreclosed on. The mortgage could be paid on time and they are behind on tax for 2years and you have 4 years before a defaulted tax lien can request foreclosure. Owners of properties that are behind almost never want to give up their house. They are like pit bulls protecting it, and they are not paying any service to help them find someone to take it over if anything its the opposite so you will have an uphill battle off of these type of lists which is I repeat public record. In the Real Estate business we call them farm lists for cold calling and trying to get listings its no different than going door to door you just have more information before you knock.Keep in mind these owners are hit up everyday non stop with calls and people offering to help them and predators so they are very cautious.
 19th of Jan, 2010 by   RealEstateJohn +1 Votes
I'm not sure who First Step Equity is trying to fool with this A- BBB rating.
Just checked 1 minute ago and this company is not even rated !!
Here are the reasons why it might not have been rated : ( taken from the BBB site )

A business may receive an “NR” (No Rating) instead of a rating under the following circumstances:

BBB has determined business is no longer operating
Business has filed to dissolve business in bankruptcy
Type of business is not appropriate for BBB rating
BBB thresholds for report development have not been met

Being that there was a PREVIOUS rating and that it doesn't appear this company is going out of business my money on why they no longer have a rating is that BBB has recently received numerous or serious complaints about business but BBB has not had sufficient time to receive and assess business’ response to those complaints.

Something to think about before signing up with a company that supposedly provides a service that you can get for free.

Know Your Online Pharmacy