Eye Doctor's Optical Outlet

Posted:

I’ll never go back to Optical Outlets

Eye Doctor's Optical Outlet
opticaloutlets.com
Here is my experience at Optical Outlets in the Seminole Town Center Mall in Sanford, Florida. Absolutely horrendous customer service experience (quite possibly the worst I've ever had). I had an exam at Optical Outlets and the prescription the doctor prescribed was different than the one I had last year, which was done at a different eye doctor office (-1.0 at Optical Outlets vs. -1.25 at other place the year before). As soon as I walked out I noticed that my vision was not as clear as with the earlier prescription. But I thought it was maybe that I just had to get used to it. Then I had to go out of town on business and realized that it wasn't getting any better and there was definitely something wrong with my contacts. My vision was blurry in the distance. So, as soon as I got back from my trip, the first thing I did was to go back to Optical Outlets to tell them about my vision problem. The lady I spoke to (unfortunately, I don't remember her name) told me that the -1.0 was the right prescription for me since the doctor did a "full" exam and that's what he prescribed. I kept telling her that I couldn't see clearly (but I could just a week ago with my old contacts), but she kept insisting that there was nothing wrong with the contacts from Optical Outlets. She told me that the prescription can change from year to year… blah blah blah… and I kept telling her that I couldn’t see clearly. She finally ended up consulting the doctor, who also insisted that the prescription of -1.0 was correct. I then, again, mentioned that my prescription was -1.25 last year and I could see just fine then. The lady told me that she couldn't help me and told me that if I wanted another exam, I would have to pay for the exam again. I really couldn't believe my ears when she said that. She refused to give me a follow-up consultation (which should be included in the initial exam my insurance company covered) and had the nerve to tell me to pay for another exam with a doctor who couldn't get it right the first time. I told her I would go somewhere else then and have another eye exam so I could at least get contacts that fit. Her coworker then informed me that I could exchange the boxes of contacts that had been ordered for me already (with the -1.0 prescription that wasn't right for me) with another prescription as long as it was the same brand. I then left and made another exam appt with the same eye doctor I went to last year. He did the exam, and as expected, my prescription was -1.25 on both eyes, with my right eye being borderline -1.50. AND…. VOILA… I could see clearly again with my new contacts!! At this point it became very apparent that I had been lied to and cheated out of my insurance money by the place in Sanford, so I called my insurance company to explain what happened. I told them that I did not ever want to set foot into Optical Outlets again, not even to exchange my correct prescription for the ones that they were holding for me (with my insurance funds tied up). They informed me that I just needed to call Optical Outlets in Sanford to release the funds for the materials so I could get my contacts at the other eye doctor office with the correct prescription. That’s exactly what I did, but whoever answered the phone at the Sanford outlet was giving me the run-around and again wasn’t trying to help me, citing that the store manager would have to make that decision and he/she was in an all-day meeting. That’s when I sent an e-mail through the Optical Outlets Web site and a few hours later I was contacted by someone at the corporate headquarters telling me that it was taken care of and my insurance funds were released. WOW! So much time wasted on trying to get this corrected and now I have to file an appeal with my insurance company to get reimbursed for my second, correct exam… only because the incompetent people at the Sanford Optical Outlet refused to help me get the correct prescription. UNBELIEVABLE. Needless to say, I’ll never go back to Optical Outlets and I’ve informed my coworkers, friends and family members to stay clear of the Sanford place at all cost should they have any vision issues. The insurance company rep., my other eye doctor, as well as everyone else was also baffled by the way I was treated and couldn’t believe that there is a company out there that engages in shady business practices like the one I experienced.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Vision, Glasses, Lenses
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

26th of Jul, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I just left the Optical Outlet located in the Citrus Park Mall location in Tampa, Florida. I got there before the 'doctor'got back from lunch with my right eye completely shut because it felt like a rasor was slicing my eye every time I blinked. I explained the pain I was in and begged to be seen as soon as the 'doctor' got in. When he arrived he was told of my condition and chose to see the appointments scheduled first instead of my emergency. I questioned the person behind the counter if it was there policy to take appointments before emergencies and all he said was that the 'doctor' was quick. I waited till the appointment was done and thought I would be next but no, he took another appointment. The man behind the counter said that I ought to go ahead and order my glasses first and by the time I was done the 'doctor' would be ready for me. I started to do that and then thought to myself, why, why was I straining my eye to be fitted for glasses instead of taking care of the emergency at hand. I requested for my and my husbands perscriptions and told them that this was just not right. No one tried to make the situation better they just let me walk out. I had been going there for years but never again. My eye still feels like a rasor and my nose even hurts from the pain but if it is not better by morning I will look for another place to go. Optical Outlet SUCKS!!!
 4th of Oct, 2010 by    -1 Votes
A quater of a change doesnt make a differce in your vision. Possibly it was the brand of contact. Do a little research before you insult a very well respected company. Ill continue to be seen there because they have ALWAYS got my rx right and glassesd back ON TIME! Maybe because i treat them like professionals like they are! They know what they are doing, so quit acting like you know what your talking about bc you clearly dont. Have a nice life insulting other doctor offices.
 7th of Oct, 2010 by    -1 Votes
@ Aldous Snow.. a quarter of a change does make a difference. Not all Optical Outlets are "well respected company" and perhaps you can help by teaching and/or training these outlets to be more professional - not that you are showing much professionalism yourself based upon your attack on someone's experience. How about you have the life that is expected based on your attitude.
 9th of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
Optical outlets on colonial drive is horrible. The Dr. there calls other Dr."s to get the previous rx so they can find out what to do, if they don't know how to do an exam why do one, they couldn't get my old rx and so I wasn't seen because of that. Glad I didn't get the exam I am sure my rx would have been wrong. Optical Outlets needs to screen their doctors credentials
 4th of Oct, 2011 by    -1 Votes
In most cases I would say that if you have a vision plan they want you to have that exam so they can collect your 10, 15, or possibly 20 dollar co-pay, file and get back the 20, 30, or maybe 40 reimbursement from the provider. That way they can pay the OD which is independently contracted his 29 or so dollars, splitting the rest of the profit among the 4 owners of the company. Now if you take 38 locations throw in a few VA contracts and do the math, someone is making a helluva lot of money.
 26th of Jul, 2012 by    -1 Votes
Very bad experience with the Optical outlet in the West oaks Mall in Ocoee. Other then the fact that my mother has gone back 4 times to have her prescription corrected only to finally be told that there was nothing that they could do for her. My 12 year old son was there for an exam because he did not do well on a general exam with the pediatrician and it was suggested that he be seen by an eye dr. On the medical consent form that I filled out, I clearly marked the box that stated that I did NOT want his eyes dilated. My son emerged from his exam in LESS then 5 minutes and the dr. informed me that we needed to wait because his eyes were dilated!! Not only that..I was also told that my son has 20/20 vision but yet 2 yrs ago he was prescribed glasses because he was nearsighted! Needless to say I was concerned, but I was VERY upset that the dr. ignored my orders NOT to dilate his eyes. The dr. laughed a nervous laugh and told me that it was no big deal!!! He admitted to not reading the release form, but that it was irrelevant because eye dilation is standard practice! During the confrontation the regional manager came out from behind and told me to leave the office or he will contact security! Not 1 apology was made. I have since made a complaint with the Dept. of Health, the insurance co., and the corporate office.
 19th of Nov, 2012 by    -1 Votes
The blurred vision originates from the eyedrops you have been given before your screening with the vision-machine. It is common knowledge that after this precedure with the Eyedrops that you WILL have trouble focusing on things as Reading, Writing, Watching TV and Operating a Motored Vehicle. The drops usually work about 1-2 hours before you can focus again. Those Eyedrops are made to relax the muscle during the eye exam and was designed to help doctors to get a 100% clear reading on your vision. After all that was why you came in for right?! The Person that administored the Eyedrops should have mentioned to you all "facts" before giving the eyedrops! The vision itself does NOT change from the Eyedrops as it is only temporary to relax the muscle during the exam. I have to stress that patients should be more questioning if something feels odd or confusing BEFORE doing any kind of medical exams. I agree that a patient should be upset about things but to be fair... the patient should take the time and inconvinience that comes with it and pay attentions to every little detail. It is your Body and you have to live with it for a very long time. Make the time for yourself even if it means to be a horroble nosey patient. At least you'll know what you need to know for your own health and piece of mind.
 6th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
You are all a bunch of stuck up haters!! I've been to every eye doctors office in my area..Sears, Jc penny, pearl vision, eyeglass world...Optical Outlets was the ONLY place that could help me and meet my needs. I am legally blind, and i have to have shots in my eye every month. Optical Outlets was the ONLY place that could help me see to the very best of my ability. I will recommend everyone i know to them. I spend a lot of money there, and every year they continue to help me more and more. GO TO OPTICAL OUTLETS DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE MORONS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)
 9th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
I agree the Opitcal Outlet should be Investigated for poor quality and horrific customer service, and no morals.. When a Dr and a company can not get your prescription correct, there is a company that needs to be investigated. Be Aware of the Optical Outlet in CountrySide Mall. They are working on trying to get my prescription correct for the third time, I wanted to cancel my order and go somewhere else, however, although not posted, they refused a refund and stated you can only receive a credit, and who wants a credit from a Company who does not even give a correct prescription. I am reporting them to the Dept of Health, my Insurance Company, and anyone else who will listen and investigate this Company...It is wrong that an Insurance Company sends you to such an horrific Company - Hopefully this will keep you from making a mistake by giving your business to Optical Outlet..
 8th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes
Optical Outlet, 1150 E Vine st, Kissimme, FL.

All same story. Instead of Bi-focal issued cheap single vision glass on cracked frame. Returned the product but refused to make

refund. Terrible bussiness. Manager and all associates no body want to talk. All turn their face other way and deaf.
 5th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
This is the worst place ever..Meaning the custormer service and the lies i was told repeatedly. My son needs glasses so we went to the Optical Outlet in Lake Wales @ the Eagle Ridge Mall on the 24th of April. Well they told me that my sons lenses would need to be thin ones so they would contact the insurance company and let me know within 24 hours if they were to be approved. Never got a phone call so waited a week and called to see if my sons glasses were in as He desperately needs His glasses, His vision is not well at all. Well alas on friday when we called. They stated they had not gotten approval from insurance. I was upset i asked why they wouldn't call and tell me such so i could contact the insurance company. They said that wouldn't be advisable and then another associate came on the phone and said the insurance had approved it and the glasses would be here Monday. We called Monday to see if they were in. Told that the shipment for day hadn't arrived yet and they would call us. Well no call so alas today *Tuesday* i call again @ 11am..They said they were looking into things and would call me back. We waited til 3pm and called back because had gotten no call. When we call we are informed that they hadn't ordered them yet and were doing so today so they would be there tommorrow. Amazing the ability of the associates to lie. So i got upset and they got really really rude i asked for Corporate Number. They refused to give it to me. They Refused. I was so upset i went online to find another location to which gave me corporates number. They gave me the District Managers Number. I called Him fully explaining my upset and told HIm of the rudeness and inconsideration in the manner to which we were treated. He is trying to take care of by giving my son a extra pair of glasses. I don't even care about that but atleast He is willing to try to do something to take care of it. We are to take my son to pick out another pair of frames and alas He will overnight order it so they will be in Thursday but i am angry. I told HIm i would NOT EVER return there for any reason so my Husband will take Him down to pick out lenses and get them sized but i told Him again i would NOT go and see those rude lying women. That i don't know how they can even have jobs with their lies and rudeness that i have been in customer service my entire life and they were beyond rude. That they don't deserve jobs at all in the manner they behave. I would rather get my sons prescription and go elsewhere because the treatment of us was insulting and rude. I will never return to them ever again. DO NOT GO TO THESE OPTICAL STORE>>>>>Go Anywhere beside these guys. Especially Lake Wales...>They are the worst. I have worn glasses for 40 years now and been to many many many Optical places. Never in my life have i had such a bad experience.
 29th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
Optical Outlet, 1150 E Vine st, Kissimme, FL.

Brought a pair of glasses paid $484.00 didn't have them two weeks the lens fell out as I was boarding Amtrak on my way to visit my grands in North Carolina needless to say my vacation was a disaster no glasses. Thanks Optical outlet 1150 E vine street Kissimmee Fl
 11th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
I purchased a pair of glasses for my son at Optical out let. Modern Launch Black and Grey.

Within the first day the arm came loose out of he plastic. We called optical outlet and they covered it since it was less then 30 days (reluctantly)
Its now been 2 months and the frames broke again in the corner where the lens are held. Normally I would just walk away and chalk this off to a cheap brand of frames. However I spent over $200 plus on transition lens and got less then 90 days of use. Keep in mind these frames were not abused or used for sports. These broke in the house under normal circumstances as in taking on and off, nothing stressful! Is there a manufactures warranty on these? I cant see buying another pair to have them snap in 2 months. I will not go back they sell dollar store glasses for $200 plus.

Contact Us