Enjoy all the features! Create an account or Sign In

Dog Ear Publishing

Posted:

Dawg Gone

Indiana
I purchased Google ad service. Over 625 clicks went directly from interested parties to my web site (this company had created) at Dog Ear and only resulted in one book sale. That one sale cost me over $500. Hey, I thought I was supposed to be making money? Advice for the novice: don't get linked up with any P.O.D. company that doesn't use a third party pay source that will give you an accounting of how much they took in. Why? You'll never know just how much of your product they actually sold and how much (of your money) they actually kept. In my situation I was trusting them to be honest...don't get fooled like I did. These guys have numerous BBB complaints.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I just experienced the same thing with them - I waited FOREVER for my quarterly report - within that quarter, I had 2 booksignings, and I know that hundreds have been sold for those, as well as it selling out in stores across the states - and libraries are carrying it----and what did they tell me I sold? 3!!! 3 books!! Not only do I feel cheated with the money end of it - but more importantly, they are stealing my success from me and hindering my ability to obtain a traditional publisher. I left a message for them as well as a blasting email - and while I wait for them to respond, I have to contact the bookstores and try to get order numbers from them...unbelievable that I trusted a company like this---I'm furious at them because this is not their book, it's mine. I paid for it to be professionally edited prior to going into their hands, I designed the cover, I did all the work - and I even designed it so that I make the least amount...and this is what they do. I'll repost when this gets straightened out, because part of me is still holding out a thread of hope that they've just made some grave error and will rectify it.
 25th of Nov, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I've encountered the same problem with them. The owners speak rudely, don't return calls or e-mails. From my experience with them they are in the business of making money off other folk's dream. STAY AWAY!
 31st of Aug, 2011 by    +1 Votes
wow. now i'm scared. i was looking for a publisher and stumbled upon Dogear online, but now i will stay far, far away. thanks for the heads up.
 20th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
Hi, my name is Ann and I’m a new out of the closet writer that finds your topic very interesting! I actually created a blog reviewing some of the popular Self-Publishing Companies. You should take a look at my site at anonymousann.blogspot.com. You might find some interesting information on my site. If you wish to add anything that is currently not there please feel free to do so. I’m still researching on some of the companies listed and I should have a complete list by end of the month. Thank you and enjoy!
 10th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
Dog Ear Publishing is based on lie and hides behind mistakes! Not only they ignore you as their customers, they also know how to go around Copy Right laws. I do not recommend this Publisher at all.
Once you pay for their service, everything will change. You will get your phone calls returned! If you do not want something to be added or taken out good luck, they pretty much do what it pleases them under the excuse that they know better and have been in the business much longer than you!
There for they target first time Authors and are good with their sales speeches! You will be better off to do it all yourself in a local print shop, with a much better end result with the color, designs, and much more.
This Dog Ear publishing also claims and has their own style to make their claim look real, that you will receive full amount of the sales. This is a deceiving joke!
 25th of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
I'm the sadauthor from the top of the page. I promoted my book & got it into stores, including Wal-Mart. I eventually gave up fighting with dog ear just because it wasn't healthy & it was draining me to the point where I couldn't focus on anything else. I figured that since I make so little on the book in the first place, the only thing that mattered was that people were reading it. I've since loaded my book and 9 others onliy kindle and have done very well. However, I just received notification that dogear has been selling my book on nook and sony for years without my consent or knowledge for three times the price I charge on kindle. So I had to take my book off of the kdp select, and I've yet to hear back from dogear. I'm tired of being ripped off by these people. Writing is the easy part. And you think the hardest part is promoting it, but it's not. It's dealing with slimy people like them. And I already know by the other complaints on the internet, that even when you pull YOUR book from them that YOU have the rights to; they continue to sell it. Funny when you first google dogear, you get dog ear infections...kinda what it's like dealing with them. Except they're like the flesh eating disease that just keeps going...
 20th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
It is important to all novice authors that these scams be posted and posted again. This sounds just like another Author Solutions scam and it would not surprise me if Dogear is a new addition to the stable. Author House, Xlibris, I.Universe, Partridge, Balboa, Hay House and a few others are all part of the same scam on unsuspecting first time authors... Stay well away if you don't want to be burned. Investigate Createspace and Kindle Direct Publishing. If necessary find someone who will help you to get your book up there, but DO NOT pay anyone a dime until you see the results of their "help". In other words, if you choose to get help publishing your book on Createspace or KDP, work with that service until your book is open on the net to your satisfaction and only then pay their fee. If you follow the prompts correctly you should be able to do it without help... When you are asked for money up front for a job over which you have no control, take your manuscript and RUN... These scamsters understand the psychology of novice authors (the dream of being published and being a famous author) and they stroke that ego to their fullest advantage and will gleefully take your money and leave you with nothing but shattered dreams. They are ruthless and unscrupulous. BE WARE... BE VERY AWARE.

Contact Us