logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
hackhimnow.com
They started to steal from me
2. (1 mins ago)
Select Portfolio Servicing
Extortionists
3. (9 mins ago)
Orite hair
Rubbish hair
4. (20 mins ago)
silkroad-pharmacy.com
They didn’t send order and communicate with clients
5. (28 mins ago)
Dealdash.com
Whatever you do, do not waste your time here

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Dish Network Complaints & Reviews - Dishonorable business practices

Dish Network Contacts & Informations

Dish Network

Posted:    Caroline Koch

Dishonorable business practices

(I've sent this to the BBB, Attorney General's office and a few newspapers. I want to get the word out)

I have been a customer of Dish Network company for over five years. I telephoned them on February 21, 2007 (yesterday) and asked if I had a standing commitment to continue service with them. The employee I spoke with put me hold, checked my records, came back on the telephone and informed me that I did not. I asked again, “Are you sure? I need to positively verify this as I am planning to enlist the services of another satellite company and intend to cancel your service.” The employee further assured me that I did not have any commitment with them any longer.

With that information supplied to me by Dish Network, which I trusted to be truthful and correct, I arranged for another satellite company to come to install their system, which they did today, February 22, 2007.

After the other company finished installing their satellite equipment and left my home, I telephoned Dish Network to cancel my account with them. The first person, with whom I spoke, verified apparent notes on his computer, that indeed I do not have a commitment with them. However, they needed to transfer my call, or so they said, in order to cancel my service. I was put on hold for a very long time, approximately 30 or 40 minutes until they caused the telephone to disconnect.

I called back. After waiting on hold for what seemed an eternity, listening to repetitious music, they then informed me that I have a commitment with them for another six and a half months and if I cancel, I will owe them $13.33 per month remaining in that time frame, which amounts to $86.65.

I objected, naturally, informing them of my telephone conversation yesterday with one of their employees. I went through the whole story again with someone else. (You can never talk to the same person twice) I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold again for approximately twenty minutes. Altogether, I was on the telephone for approximately an hour and a half and all to no avail. I was told, point blank, that no supervisors were responding.

Therefore, I explained the whole story again to yet another employee. This time, they denied having any notes that someone told me that I was not under any obligation to continue their service.

I again reiterated that they should honor the information that one of their employees gave me, regardless of whether I have six and a half months left of obligation to them. They refused to honor that. I explained that had I been given accurate information, I would not have arranged to connect with this other company yet. And still, they held fast.

They also demanded that I pack up their receiver boxes and satellite dish in boxes that they will send me by UPS. Then I am to take them to the UPS office and mail their equipment back to them. If I fail to do this, there will be an exorbitant monetary penalty. I am dumb struck as to why I should have to do their work for them, using my time and effort to package these items. I am a senior citizen and I am appalled at their aggressive behavior.

To sum it up, although I may have had a commitment with them and I had nothing in writing about the telephone conversation, (big mistake that I should know better than to make)I feel that Dish Network displayed very dishonorable, immoral and despicable business practices. These practices clearly manifest themselves in this company’s mistreatment of customers, with untruthful, incorrect and inconsistent information, resulting in my having to pay for two services for another six and a half months. Had I received a straightforward answer yesterday, that I am indeed committed for another six and a half months, I would not have signed up with the other company until those six and a half months were past. I am extremely displeased with this ineffective and dishonorable company.
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Feb, 2007 by   John Doe 0 Votes
Dish Network are SCAMSTERS and their business practices resemble the infamous "bait and switch" camera/video shops of Brooklyn. I signed up for a "Gold HD package" last year, the price was to be $49.99 for an entire year. After only two months, they changed their pricing scheme and raised prices (without any prior notice) and now they want $72.99 per month for the very same service. This is illegal, this is a scam,we should organize a class-action lawsuit and take on these assholes.
 15th of Mar, 2007 by   Loretta Darrillo +1 Votes
DISH Network is the worst, hands down, when it comes to automated phone service. I've gone through the phone system instruction seven times in an attempt to resolve my technical problem. This annoying automated male voice asks me, after pressing the correct number for technical support, to "check the batteries on your remote." I do so, because I don't want to appear scatterbrained in the opinion of the automated voice. God forbid. Batteries good.

The voice begins each sentence or question with 'Okay...' or "Let's see..." in an apparent attempt to ingratiate me. I did a reboot. I reset the remote. I went through this each of the seven times I've called. I even had a new receiver sent to replace what I assumed was a broken receiver. Not the problem.
For my last foray into the beloved world of customer service, the human person (for whom I waited an astounding 46 minutes) told me I must go through the steps by phone before a technician is sent, or pay the price out-of-pocket for the call, which is $29.95 per hour, including drive time. I refused to go through the steps yet again. I asked to have a technician sent and reminded them of my warranty. I overheard this actual human person, Tiffany, speaking to another actual human person about how she finally "did" her brother's friend, and hopes no one finds out. I was almost so bored with the aforementioned 46 minutes of mind-numbing phone hell to actually care about her sex life. Really. She returns to the line to tell me that I will have to speak to a supervisor. This sounds like a fabulous idea to me. Then, dead line. Ooops, we were cut off. Damn, I won't find out who was on top and if they cuddled afterwards. I call back. This time, after chatting with automated Dish Man, a conversation sprinkled with my, "Sure thing, co*ksu*ker!" to his cheerful requests, I get a human in 22 minutes. I note that this is less than half of my original wait. I count my blessings. I tell this new human, who has just completed a weeklong community course in English as a Second Language, that for two months I've been experiencing the same problem, and I need help. I want a human to come to my home. I remind her that I’m still under warranty and throw in that DishMan has called me a valued customer at least twenty times. She is unimpressed, but schedules the human technician after two jaunts of "Um, hold on a minute...I need to,… um,...just hold on, okay?" She schedules the service call. I rejoice in that fact that although I’ve used foul language with automated DishMan, I’ve kept my actual conversations with the humans quite professional; cordial even. “Thanks for your help, honey-dumplin, I’ll be home on Thursday awaiting my technician!” (No, I didn’t SAY ‘honey-dumplin,’ I only thought it.)

I’m supposed to have a technician here between 8 am and noon today. I mean "was supposed to have..." I called in at 12:30pm to the automated system only to be told by DishMan, "Okay, I see that you have a service call scheduled for (second automated voice; this time female) Thursday, March 15th, 8 am to 12 pm. (now back to male voice) Please continue to wait for the allotted time." Then I’m rerouted to the main menu. Okay, I think, perhaps they meant Eastern time. Cool. I think I'm being quite reasonable, considering that I'm a bit limited to television programming because I live in a remotely rural area. I am also not afforded the luxury of finding and killing DishMan with my bare hands, but I digress. Now, it’s 2:40. I’ve called back, spoken to a human (31 minutes this time) and, while I didn’t use an epithet, I did become belligerent. They tell me the technician is “en route.” He must be flying right behind the monkeys that are exiting my a $$.
 16th of Aug, 2007 by   Me Me 0 Votes
Well Dish does suck, i switched from direct tv, to dish and in 48 hours i didn't like it so i switch back and dish charges me 300 for early termination, i said i don't like it and there pretty much like tough shit, try that on, dish sucks and i hate them...
 30th of Oct, 2007 by   customeradv 0 Votes
I am a customer from Dish Network for almost 2 years now. I don't have any connection problems, but I do experiencing very poor customer service care, Billing disputes, excessive fees charged into my account.

Poor attitude from Dish Network representatives and supervisors. They do not clarify OR even try your questions about your account with them.

I am frustrated and disappointed with this Company. I think we all should joint and start a 'Class Action' against Dish Network.
 30th of Oct, 2007 by   customeradv +1 Votes
I agree let's do it!!! They are giving me such a hard time as a customer. I am so tired and frustrated! Someone has to do something about it.
 16th of Nov, 2007 by   steve jureski 0 Votes
A good tip. When dish overcharges you on your credit or debit card call the number on the back of the card. I did this and visa put the disputed money back in my account and some overdraft charges caused by dish the same day and after the investigation got dish to the cancel the charge. Visa said we dont' let dish network do that.
 22nd of Dec, 2007 by   John -1 Votes
Stop complaining, you USAns always complain.
 9th of Jun, 2008 by   hb7779 0 Votes
I have the similar story. I have been a Dish customer for past 7 years. Just the other day I called thm to ask why I am not getting local channels in HD even though I have been paying for them for past 2 years. I was told that they need to replace my Dish to mpeg4 version and they made an appointment for Friday. Friday came I received a call that they were really busy today so is possible to re-schedule for Saturday. Reluctently I agreed to screwe off my Saturday. I sat and waited all Saturday and no one showed up. I called Dish and was told no one had my appointment. I was furious and tried to cancel my service. After a long discussion and aplogies I decided to give them another chance at the promice that someone will be there on Monday. Well, Monday came a technician showed up but told me that my roof is too steep and she cannot climb it. My house is a standard colonial in Chicago land area. I was told that she needs to go to another job and didn't know when they can come back. I called again Dish and spoke to a customer service supervisor. She apologized agian and promised that a install team's manager will call me with 5 minutes and set something up. It has been 4 hours and no one has called. I think I will cancle them.
 30th of Jun, 2008 by   Joe McAllister 0 Votes
I had to move from Jenner, California this April to Everett, Washington. I knew when I was going to move, so I called Dish about 30 days before and told them the move date, and asked to be sent a box or label to return my HD-DVR. No box arrived. I called a few days before the move and said I only needed a label, as I had packed the receiver in it's original box. I gave them my new address in Washington. I will say that they did NOT charge me for canceling my account early, as they agreed they could not provide internet and phone service with TV in Everett, while Comcast could.

About two weeks after I had moved and taken the receiver with me, I received a forwarded carbon copy post card from UPS telling Dish they could pick the (empty) box up in Santa Rosa, as I no longer lived there. I called Dish again, gave them the new address again (it was not in my account) and asked that a label or box be sent to me. A week later I received a second carbon copy post card forwarded from Jenner telling me the same thing, that the customer had moved and to pick up the box in Santa Rosa.

At that point I called Dish again, and asked for a supervisor. I had him repeat back to me all the information I gave him to get me a box here in Everett. I had to do that because my account still had no record of my new address.

Soon, the box arrived. I unpacked the receiver from it's original box and boxed it into their carton, applied their pre-printed UPS label, and dropped it off at a UPS approved shipping point.

A week later, while checking my bank account, I saw a $2.00, then a $23.85 debit from Dish. The next day they took out $384.34. (I had more than sufficient funds for the whole amount the first day).

It had taken them more than 75 days to get me a shipping box, yet after my final phone call about it they had immediately debited my checking account for more than $400.

I spent more than 5 hours today trying to get that money refunded to me, only to hear the same song over and over. We're so very sorry for your inconvenience, but equipment not returned within 30 days must be paid for.

And, because I merely applied their UPS label and dropped the box off at a local UPS shipper, and therefor had no tracking number, they could not refund the money until they received the receiver. They apparently do not keep a record of the customers shipping label numbers that they print, only those they use to get the empty box to you.

I asked how could I possibly get the equipment back to them within 30 days if they could not get me a box or at least a label to ship the equipment back to them within 75 days.

They're "so sorry for my trouble", but not so sorry that a 66 year old on a fixed income has to do without $400 for 3 to 4 weeks.

Very frustrating dealing with overseas representatives who have their hands tied (they cannot call other departments, like shipping, who would have the reference numbers from the labels that were printed for me)(And shipping, by the way, does not take calls!) I never did get to speak with anyone who was in the USA, or could have seen the folly of their service and helped me.

Not only here, but wherever I can, I will trumpet the failings of organization within Dish/EchoStar, and the lack of customer service they exhibit.
 1st of Aug, 2008 by   NotAnEbayFan 0 Votes
We have been so totally screwed by Dish Network! It all started about four months ago when we decided to upgrade to HD (and the highest, most expensive HD tier) because we discovered that Dish Networks carried the Voom HD channels including Monsters HD, which was a channel that we really loved. After about only a month of HD service (with poor picture quality), Dish Network suddenly and without warning pulled all of the Voom HD channels from their service. We work up one day and turned on the TV and discovered that these channels were gone. In there place were a few new HD channels that are much cheesier (and not as good), along with a few new HD feeds of "basic channels" that didn't look any better than the SD feeds.

We finally decided to drop the HD channels completely, since there were no longer any channels offered that were really good. But, strangely enough, Dish insisted on still charging us $7.00 a month just for the privelege of having an HD receiver, even though we no longer received any HD channels!!!

And it gets worse. We were long-time subscribers to Dish Networks' Club Jenna adult channel, which we really enjoyed watching. Then again, suddenly and without warning, Dish dropped the hardcore feed of Club Jenna (July of 2008), opting instead to carry the softer core feed of Club Jenna, which is not as good and is heavily edited (poorly) with shorter movies that are not as erotically stimulating. We tried watching movies on Club Jenna for the entire month of July before we finally realized that something was wrong. I contacted Spice Networks/Club Jenna to complain about their recent poor programming changes and they informed me that Dish Network had given us the old switcheroo, changing the Club Jenna feed to a softer feed (a.k.a. "boring")

I feel like Dish Network has given us the "bait-and-switch" at least three times now, and I am totally disgusted with their inconsiderate and unscrupulous business practices.
 3rd of Aug, 2008 by   s thom 0 Votes
I ordered a dish from Dish Network for 19.99, with locals for another 5.99 totaling 24.99, in speaking with the sale person she asked if I wanted a DVD recorder I said no I already have one, forgive me she didn't ask she said that I would get a DVD recorder I asked what was that!, she explain, I told her I didn't need that, than she said I would get 100 channels, I asked how much was that she said something like 39.99, I told her that I didn't want that, I just wanted the family package for 19.99, she acted like she didn't hear me, so I said it again, she than said I could call and down grade. They came to install on 08/2/08 the man said he wanted to know what room I wanted the recevier in, I pointed him to my den. At the end of this situation he gave me all this paper work to sign, I became confused, the contract didn't sit well with me so I told him I wasn't going to sign it, so he told me I didn't have to sign it and they left in a hurry, he did tell me that I needed to call the 1800# Customer Service number, so I did and this is when I found out that I would be billed 39.99, plus 5.99 for the Dvd. I told the customer Service rep that I didn't order it, she told me that I allow the installer to install and to leave, I in turn told her that I didn't know what he what he was installing he told me that he needed to install a receiver . The long and short of this story is they will not come back out and remover it, if they do it will cost me 50.00 to remove something that I didn't order in the first place, I called again and ask to speak with their supervisor she came on the phone saying the same thing, that I allow him to install it and that I allow him to leave, I called again and again each time they would put me on hold and never come back to the phone. This is the worse business dealing I have ever had with a company, stealing money from people, lying to get business and making you seem like you are the bad person in this situation, now am in this situation for the next Two years, because they will not come back out and if I cancel they will charge my credit card 200.00
 3rd of Oct, 2008 by   Ken Cullen 0 Votes
I am too pissed off to even begin to express my displeasure towards dish network. After being promised local netoworks, I recieved local channels for about 30 days, after which, they removed CBS locally (I watch SEC Football) and they had no answer for me. Screwed once. I kept the service for the remainder of my contract, then disconnected and went with cable. I recieved the boxes to return my equipment yesterday and then today I noticed a $600.00 equipment charge on my Checking account. Screwed twice) Nowhere in my contract is this specified. After HOURS on the phone with dish network, all they could say was "we are sorry that you feel this way." Please, everyone stay away from dish network!!! It is a total scam!!! My family really needed that money! Dish network took it!!!
 12th of Feb, 2009 by   BlueMoon 0 Votes
Infinity Sales Group, LLC - performs installations for Dish Network
I was a victim of infinity group yesterday and I was so mad I called Dish Network directly to complain. Guess what? After being transferred 3 times I spoke to someone who identified herself as Executive account manager and she gave me a $100 credit on my account for the gas card I never received (I should have said the card was $200 (lol)). If enough of you call and hold Dish network accountable and they spend enough money, they will stop doing business with low-lifes like Infinity group and put them out of business for good!!!

I also filed a complaint online with the Better Business Bureau.

CALL DISH NETWORK NOW! and let them know how pissed off you are and that you are not going to stand for it.
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   Nunayo 0 Votes
Wow! I'm glad I read all of these. I will never go with them. The only reason we went with a different service when we moved into our new home about 4 months ago was that Dish Network wanted us to sign a contract and I refuse to do that. I won't even sign a contract for cell phone service. Thank you all for posting. I will heed these warnings.
 22nd of Feb, 2010 by   ssaviss 0 Votes
Do not order dish network...after just a few months of service they will drastically hike up your monthly charge and since your in a contract you have to pay! Their customer service is horrible ! I hate this company!
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   gijeanie79 0 Votes
I an my husband are being charged for a reciever we returned 2 years ago. Come to find out they have been charging us and extra 6 dallors a month. My husband has been fighting them on and off for a while now becuase we didn't know we were being charged this extra 6 dallors and they waited until we had already moved a few times an no longer had the information to prove we sent the reciever back to them. Now we are about to be charged a $100 for a reciever that they have somewhere.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   TJintheozarks 0 Votes
On April 29, 2010, I called Dish Network because I was having trouble receiving certain channels that are part of my package. I went through all the trouble-shooting with the Tech support. Nothing worked. Then I was told that I would need a Tech to come to my house. That I would be charged $15.00 for the Tech to come out and fix whatever the problem may be. At first, I didn't understand how could I be charged a fee when I pay $6.00 a month for what Dish Network calls a "Service Plan" for if there is anything that happens to "ANY" of the Equipment it could be replaced and/or fixed with out any further charges. So I thought since I all ready pay a $6.00 fee a month that having a Tech come to my house would be covered. I was wrong. So you pay $6.00 a month and $15.00 every time you need a Tech to come out. Since, I felt that the $6.00 a month is not worth having if it don't help cover cost of any equipment malfunction and Tech Support coming out to the house, I wanted to cancel paying for something that would not be working for me. Then I was told that if I didn't keep the "Service Plan" and keep paying the $6.00 a month I would be charged $95.00 Every time a Tech would need to come out to my house. So I decided that I would need to keep paying the $6.00 a month because I can not afford a $95.00 bill on top of what I pay a month to Dish Network. Also, I decided to go ahead and let a Tech come out to the house to resolve what ever issue the Equipment was having. I agreed to go ahead and be charged the $15.00 on top of my monthly bill. Which is $57.48. So my total should have been $72.48. I was wrong. Because on top of the $15.00 Service Charge I had to pay, I also got charged $1.14 in tax for the service fee. At this point I am so angry with Dish Network. I want to cancel the service with them. But, again I have been reminded that I would have to pay $400.00 dollars just to get out of the contract with them. Dish Network really knows how to stick it to someone. I am disabled and on fixed income. This is bad business. I can't believe a company is able to charge on top of another charge then tax it. I am just blown away by this. Because I have always liked Dish Network. It's sad to see business's treat people this way. That is why America is in the state that it is in because of bad business. Please any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I have paid all these charges even though I don't think they are right. My current amount due is : $0.00. I keep my account in good standing. But, If I continue to be treated badly by Dish Network then I will cancel with them and since I am disabled I don't care about my credit at this point. Thanks for listening.

I just want to know if these charges are justifiable ? Is it okay to be charged on top of another charge and then be taxed on top of the other charge ? Does this sound like fair business to you ? Would you keep this service if this is how you were to be treated ? Nothing makes sense with Dish Network and their so called "Charges". So I think it fully needs to be investigated. I also think Dish Network should be more fair and honest about "ALL" their Charges. Don't continue to do bad business it just turns people away. This whole experience has left me feeling really bad about Dish Network. All I am asking for is Fairness and Honesty from this company.
 13th of Jun, 2010 by   Johnny J 0 Votes
Dish networks' company policy is shifting toward less response to customer complaints. They have several formulas they use to figur how much they are accepted as ok by most customers and therefore how much they can ignore others and let them fall by the wayside. Any custoemr service rep that spends too long actually trying to sort out one of their horrendous fuckups is counseled severely to not spend so mych time on the phone. There are hundreds of sales reps--most contracted out--that are ignorant and/or greedy enough to just outright misinform the customers to get them off the phone, and then front line agents who are too poorly trained to deal with the complaints so that the problems get bigger, mand about the third or fourth time you call you finally get someone who knows what they are doing but they end up spending the time to help out but get punished for spending the time! The Phillipines agents get paid about 1/4 as much but it takes 3 of them to do the job right that one good agent could have done the first time. Phillipines probably don't get the bennefits either. Not to mention the Indian agents. Starting today, if you call for tech support after midnight you will be talking to someone in India or the Phillipines. Good Luck!
 16th of Jun, 2010 by   Jody21 0 Votes
I ordered Dish last Tuesday (June 8) and was billed $26 for the first month (free installation). I agreed to $26/month until the 2nd year. I was supposed to have them install on Friday between 12-5. They called at 5:30 pm and said it would be more like 8:30 pm. I waited until 9:30 pm and called customer service. They told me they were going to put a not on my account to set up service in the morning (the next day, Saturday).

I called Saturday morning to see what time they were coming out and they claimed they had no available slots. After dealing with them for about 45 minutes I, reluctantly, agreed to have them come out the next day (Sunday) from 8-noon. At 12:30 with no call and no show I got on the phone again with customer service. They told me they would not be available today and nothing was set up in their computer for installation. I was then transferred two or three times, spoke to a "supervisor" and they said on my account there was a note that I refused service on Saturday! The day they told me they had nobody avaialbe. I was stunned. I have never dealt with a company like this before.

I was then transferred again to cancel my account. The woman offered me 2 months free service and I declined. She said I would be reimbursed my $26. I just spoke with them online so I could print of the conversation and the woman assured me I would be reimbursed and that I will not have any outstanding fees. I am nervous after reading all of these complaints that they will try and debit my account.

NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH DISH! I wish I would have done a little more research before signing up with them.
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   Billy Crabtree 0 Votes
Dish Network SUCKS and I am fixing to call the better business bureau on monday about my account!!!

Identity Theft and Credit Card Fraud Protection