logo

Harassment

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Diamonds International Complaints & Reviews - Beware of Diamonds International!

Diamonds International Contacts & Informations

Diamonds International

Posted:    Valerie

Beware of Diamonds International!

I purchased a set of diamonds studs on 1/20/07 from DI's Cozumel, Mexico store at Avenida Rafael E. Melgar #131. The purchase price was $1,500.00 USD. When I got home I decided that I would like to upgrade the quality of my diamonds. The back of the original sales receipt clearly states that "you may receive a store credit on any jewelry purchased by you within 30 days of your purchase provided you return to DI and TI the original receipt for the item purchased along with the item in its original condition".

I contacted DI customer service in NYC and spoke to Joan M. to inform her that I would like to return the studs for store credit, to be used against the purchase of my upgraded studs via DI's online store.

On 1/29/07 Joan faxed me a claim form. I completed the form, returned it to Joan, and on 1/31/07 I received back from Joan RMA# CZ-91-01-A3107. On 1/31/07 I sent the original diamond studs and original sales ticket, appraisal, and credit card receipts back to Joan via USPS Registered Mail tracking number RA460607023US. The package was received at DI on 2/6/07 as per the USPS.

On 2/7/07 Joan called me and left me a message stating that she would not process my store credit unless I provided her with an "EGL certificate" on the stones I had returned. This "EGL certificate" was never provided to me by the DI Cozumel sales staff when I made my original purchase, was never requested from me previously by Joan, and is not listed as a requirement in any of Joans return/shipping instructions. Furthermore, as per DI's own website, the new pair of upgraded studs that I intend to purchase only comes with a "replacement value appraisal"... Not an EGL certificate, which helps prove my suspicion that EGL certificates are not part of DI's standard operating practice and that Joan is using the certificate as an excuse to rip me off.
Comments United States Jewelry & Watches
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Feb, 2007 by   Valerie 0 Votes
On December 2, 2006, my husband and I purchased a “Past, Present, and Future” diamond ring at Diamonds International while on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. One of our chief concerns at the time of purchase was with the 14 karat gold setting that the 3 diamonds were set into. We were assured by the sales associate that the setting was secure and that I would be able to wear the ring for 20 – 30 years without fear that one of the diamonds would become loose or be lost. The purchase price was $1295.00. The ring was purchased to commemorate our 35th Wedding Anniversary. Since we had never purchased a diamond ring before, I was ecstatic with the beautiful and precious ring.

After the purchase was made the sales associate charged our credit card and sent the ring for sizing down two sizes. Then she suggested that we read the warranty.
Let buyers beware that the Diamond International warranty is, in my opinion, nearly worthless.

On Dec. 4, 2006 while disembarking our cruise ship I noticed that the center diamond was missing and two of the clasps meant to secure the stone were bent backward. The clasps on the setting were obviously defective and caused the loss of the diamond. It never should have happened while wearing it in a normal fashion for less than 48 hours. I sent the defective ring to Diamonds International so that they could determine that the setting was not damaged by us or by a tool. The setting clasps were apparently sufficiently loosened by resizing to allow a thread or other item to get under two clasps and pull them back so that the diamond fell out. Their idea of honoring the warranty was to ask for $750 to repair it. The defective setting caused the loss of the diamond after one day and therefore should be covered by their repair warranty.

We are expecting an exact replacement of the missing diamond in regards to carat weight, cut, color, and inclusion clarity as described on Diamond International appraisal form. We also request that the diamonds be set in a new 14K gold ring to replace the defective ring.

It appears to us that the repair warranty is worthless. We are proceeding to alert others about this business practice.

Beware of Diamonds International!
 22nd of Feb, 2007 by   K. Wood 0 Votes
Aren't you a little harsh to the representative that helped you? Basing it on your own story the representative, acted on your paperwork in 2 days time. The representative that helped you did all the paperwork, and from my understanding the representative didn't sell you anything, you wanted an upgrade. The representative didn't even make a single dime on you, how come you are accusing the representative who arranged for your merchandise get to it's destination be ripping you off? I do understand your frustration with the stud earrings that you returned and of what you say the money that was not returned to you but please don't blame a customer service representative of ripping you off of something that never got to her pocket. And if it is true that you haven't received your money back you can sue the company at all times.

I am surprised you still want to get another purchase from this company despite the frustrations, aggregations that caused you. I am really surprised that you will spend more money to the company who has not given you your money back.

The integrity of your accusations proved nothing but mere fabrications. Make up your mind Sir, the customer representative that you say is making an excuse on how to rip you off, and the company that you said did not return your money back is the same company you are upgrading your stud earrings! Please make your story more convincing. I personally won't do any business with any company for the 2nd time, and spend twice the amount of what I originally spent if I believe I am being ripped off.
You can't honestly believe that you have been ripped off by this company and this customer representative, if you are spending twice more for your upgrade.
 7th of Nov, 2007 by   Richard Mawhinney 0 Votes
My wife and I love the jewelery selection in the Carribean, however most comments tend to insinuate the vacationer is usually ripped-off. Can this be avoided?
 26th of Jan, 2008 by   Elaine Bais 0 Votes
My adivse is to stay away from Diamonds International. To make a very long story short, we bought a diamond ring from them. It was neither the color nor the clarity that they'd stated and worse, they chipped it when they were setting it. We were caught in to catch 22s. One was that American Express would not give us a refund as long as we were in posession of the ring thus DI's refusal to take the ring back. If you can get them to take your merchandise back, call your credit card company immediately because they may just refund your money regardless of what is going on. The other catch was that we had the stone appraised in the setting thus the appraisal didn't mention the chip. Since the appraisal didn't mention the chip, DI refused to acknowledge the possiblitity that it could be chipped. The only time DI acted was when it looked like they might be forced to take the stone back. Those times being when we offered to fly to Las Vegas and have one of their jewelers tell us the stone was not chipped and the next time was after I had contacted the NY Attorney General's Office. After having sent us two unacceptable replacement stones, they finally sent a half decent stone. It took us 11 months, 20 letters, 4 written appraisals/evaluations, 27 emails, 30+ phone calls and numerous faxes to finally get this resolved. The stone I know have is a half carat smaller that what I had originally bought and it isn't a better stone to say that I gained any "quality" in going down in size. I just have a smaller stone.
 5th of Feb, 2008 by   doree a becerra 0 Votes
Diamonds Iinternational needs to be stopped from rippng people off. My husband and I too purchased a ring in Cozmel while on a Carnival Cruise. The Ship representative told us to make sure we register our purchase on the ship so if anything should go wrong they would back us. WRONG!! The same representative that helped us with our purchase and assured us that we were getting a good deal. WRONG AGAIN!! While we were at the store they assured me that the settings were all secure but again another LIE. A diamond falls out when it is only worn a few times. THE APPRAISAL falls short by $1075.00 on one diamond alone. They are Fraudulant all the way around and the Cruise Ships promote them. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.
PPI (which is the company that the cruise ship provides you to protect you from being ripped off) had the nerve to tell me we did not have the appraisal done at a place that knew what they were doing and that they were not qualified to appraise the ring . When the appraisal company called them to get an explanation for there actions they in turn acknoledged THEY ARE qualified but didn't like the fact that they put a $ figure on the diamonds and setting as well as the mount. Because where Diamond International wants you to send your purchase to be appraised is back over Seas. Where they will NOT put a $ figure on them at all. So they can get away with their lie. Diamonds International offers me $200. towards another purchse for the fraud committed with this purchase. I was shocked!! Like who would really want to buy more of their JUNK!!! LIES!!!
 25th of Mar, 2008 by   STEPHANIE 0 Votes
My boyfriend and I also bought a diamond and setting at diamonds international. when we got home the diamond was not the one we actually purchased and the apraisal was no where near what diamonds international said it was. they also debited our credit card several times for the one transaction which added up to over $15, 000.

we are just starting the process of returning the diamond and setting and getting our money back but I have already had some resistance from diamonds international. if anyone has info on how to speed up the process or how to make them take the merchandise back and credit our account please let me know.

angelfish1493@hotmail.com

thanks...
 18th of Jul, 2008 by   Christina 0 Votes
While on a cruise in June 2008, my husband & went to DI in Cozumel looking for a loose diamond. We looked at several different diamonds before deciding on one. I was planning to put the new diamond in the setting I already had. The clerk at DI said they would put it in my setting & make a pendant out of the smaller diamond that I already had for no extra charge. We agreed to that & came back a couple of hours later to pick them up. I was very pleased with the results. After we got home, I made an appointment to get the diamond appraised. I began reading the reviews about DI on websites like this one & was beginning to feel very nervous that we had been scammed. Imagine my surprise when the diamond was appraised at twice what I paid for it. The clarity, cut, etc from our appraiser matched what DI had. Oh, I take that back - our appraiser had the size a little bit bigger than what DI had. The jeweler did not see any of the paperwork that DI had given us until after the appraisal was complete. He told us that everything he has appraised from Cozumel has been right on target - only one case of him appraising something at less than what the people paid for it. Needless to say, I would not hesitate to go back to DI.
 20th of Sep, 2008 by   Gina Canto 0 Votes
HI:
I USE TO WORK IN THIS COMPANY AROUND 7 YEARS, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR THAT LONG IN THESE COMPANY.

ABOUT JEWELRLY I CAN SAY THAT I DONT KNOW IF JEWELS ARE GOOD OR NOT.
BUT THE WAY THEY TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES IS THE WORST .
I BELONG TO A HUGE GROUP OF PEOPLE THATHAS BEEN FIRED IN THE RECENT 4 YEARS WITHOUT NO PAY FOR ALL THE YEARS I WORKED .

I DONT KNOW IF THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY KNOW ABOUT IT, BUT MANY OF THE EMPLOYEES THAT WE ARE NOT LONGER WORKING JUST WANT TO BE PAID.
I HOPE HE CAN READ THIS.

Gina canto
 21st of Oct, 2008 by   S. Goldston 0 Votes
My husband and I purchased a diamond ring from Diamonds International while in Puerto Vallarta on a Carnival Cruise. I have no complaints about the ring quality. After returning home, though, I was disappointed to find the exact same ring, same number of diamonds, same quality diamonds, same 18k white gold setting, in the DI online website catalog for over $200 less than we paid in-store. I have no intention of contacting DI about this, I just feel like a heel. I don't think they should gouge tourists who don't have the luxury of going online to see if they will match their catalog price. It comes down to having jewelry knowledge. I won't ever buy jewelry from a place I can't drive to from now on or comparison shop beforehand. Lesson learned.
 11th of Nov, 2008 by   Marcus Schantz 0 Votes
My wife and I were just on a Carnival cruise and like everyone else we were told by the on board buying expert how great Diamonds International was. We went into the DI store in Belize and we picked out a princess cut diamond and setting to upgrade the modest engagement ring I purchased when we first were married. After they set the diamond I noticed what looked like a scratch in the stone. Although it turned out to be an inclusion that was previously not visible it completely ruined the stone. In fact, it was ugly.

The staff and the buyer from Carnival were very eager to fix the problem as my wife had not seen the ring after it was mounted. Long story short they found another stone that was a little better quality so I paid $500 more. They said I was buying a 1.05 ct VS1 K color princess cut diamond. Total cost with the setting was $4500.00 and the stone is gorgeous.

When we got home I looked on the internet and found posts and complaints like this one that made me very worried. I quickly made an appointment to have it appraised and was stunned to find out it appraised at $7500.00. The gemologist estimate the weight at 1.07 ct. She rated it a VS2 but color I.

Under a microscope it's flawless to my eyes and the gemologist said it was a very, very nice stone. On another note, while I was picking out my wife's stone she was buying me a Breitling watch I had my eye on. The jewelry store I had her ring appraised at is also an authorized Breitling dealer and I found out she got a great deal on the watch too.

In summary, our experience with DI was outstanding and we would buy from them again without hesitation. But you need to really look at what you're buying very closely because I could have walked out of there with an ugly stone had I not looked carefully. I don't think they were trying to pull a fast one because the inclusion was not visible until the stone was mounted. And they were eager to make us happy.
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   Jenae 0 Votes
Our experience with DI was nothing less than a nightmare. While on a cruise to Cozumel Mexico we took the advice of our onboard shopper Rudy and with his "expert" help purchased a 1.5cts engagement ring for 7, 500. With the assurance that the EGL certification would come in the mail. Well we got home and waited for the paperwork. After a few weeks of no certificatoin I stated to get nervous and took the ring to be appraised. It was supposted to be a E color and SI1. It in fact was a I color and I2. Which in reality only made it worth 4, 000 at best. We called the company to begin the long process of a refund. We never signed the back of the recepit with the return policy, and it was never explained to us. It states that if it is appraised for 2 grades less on color or clarity then they would issue a refund. Well when I gave them the reports for our independent gemologist they said that it had to be appraised from a national lab. However national labs don't appraise stones already set in a setting. It was the battle of a lifetime. I was engaged and could not wear my engagement ring. It took over 3 monthes. Over 100 plus phones calles, over 50 emails. Dealt with around 15 people working for DI and the threat of a law suit to get a refund. I can't believe that this company is still in business and selling "junk" jewlery! I would be happy to share all of the knowledge that I have learned through this ordeal with others. Post your email and I will be happy to email you with some tips to getting justice!
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   swindled 0 Votes
My husband and I just returned from Nassau, Bahamas on a cruise. We purchased a solitaire ring, .56 ct, H color, SI2 Clarity and paid $1500. I thought we were getting a "great buy" as the cruise line told us we would but when I got home I compared prices online and it appears I could have purchased the same ring for much less. I definitely feel swindled and have tried to contact DI several times by phone and left messages but have never received a returned call. I could try harder but it seems by the other comments, it won't do me much good. I do like the stone, I just wish I could have paid less for it. I guess I've learned a valuable lesson. Don't buy from DI!!!
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   Ripped Off 0 Votes
In 2008, while on a cruise, my wife and I stopped into a Diamonds International store on St. Thomas Island. The Carnival cruise line was heavily pushing everyone to go to Diamonds International, saying they had the best deals. We priced a new engagement ring at $18, 000.00, we had been married for 30 years and it was time for an upgrade. After much squabbling over price and speaking directly to the manager we finally got the price down to $12, 000.00. I felt on top of the world! When we got home we had it appraised for our home insurance coverage and were we horrified when it was aprraised at $4500.00. Talk about feeling ripped-off!
 31st of Mar, 2009 by   evrenseven 0 Votes
Diamonds International is clearly a scam. The greasy, sleazy sales expert aboard "mariner of the seas" had the entire crowd of grotesquely obese mouth breathers from the fly- over states eating out of the palm of his hand when he pumped dance music as he hyped DI during the shopping presentation. One woman threw her baby in the air. I'll repeat that. SHE THREW HER BABY IN THE AIR.

My point is, if you went and bought a diamond from a store you had never heard of before, you probably deserved to get ripped off. C'mon, people. Has anyone heard of Mexico or Alaska or any other cruise destination being famous for diamonds?

They offer tequila shots while making your purchase decision. That's the same thing frat boys do to incoming freshman girls to get in their pants.

Bet you had the same feeling the next morning after buying from DI.
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   pjbtulsa 0 Votes
I am looking for anyone and everyone who would be interested in joining me in a class action lawsuit against Diamonds International. You may contact me @ pjbtulsa@yahoo.com.

Pam
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   teeder27 0 Votes
I just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise in which I had stopped into the Diamonds International location in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. I purchased a men's Titanium Bracelet and was assured that I was getting the lowest price possible. I negotiated with them for an hour and felt satisfied that I did ok, so I purchased it. I get home to the states and check the DI website, only to find out that what I had purchased, exact item, was $400 cheaper online. I have opened a complaint file with DI and am waiting for them to reply back with what they are going to do to rectify the situation. I have also informed Royal Caribbean about this issue, and to my surprise, the rep told me that there have been many other issues with DI lately- It would have been nice to know that before I went in there and spent my money. DI has also tried to run multiple transactions on my credit card for the original purchase, some in different countries. Luckily my credit card company has put a fraud alert on that card and stopped all purchases from going through. This is the first, last and only time that I will ever deal with Diamonds International!
 8th of Nov, 2009 by   Monica<3 0 Votes
Notice there are no complaints about Diamonds Internationals Key West or Alaska locations, but all from the caribbean?
 21st of Nov, 2009 by   OldPine 0 Votes
It's still going on. St. Maarten location, overpromising, undergrading, overcharging. Our battle is just beginning.
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   Kingdiamonds 0 Votes
My husband and I returned from a wonderful trip to Cozumel, and purchased a beautiful ring there. It is in the shape of a snowflake, with a Blue Diamond in the center with smaller white ones surrounding it. I have had many compliments on the color, clarity, etc. After returning home, I took my ring to my family jeweler and had it appraised, and looked over. The ring is a definite investment, the stones were impeccable, and the gold was high grade! My experience was a plus in my book! The service there was awesome, and I feel for what I paid, and what it appraised, I came out ahead. I will definitely do a return visit when I'm there!
 7th of Jun, 2010 by   stephen199 0 Votes
HELLO.MY FRIENDS PARENTS JUST WERE RIPPED OF 20, 000$YES THATS RIGHT!I HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THIS COMPANY.DOES ANYONE WANNA JOIN TOGETHER AND BRING A CAASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM.IT WILL BE HARD BUT IF YOU DONT GIVE UP YOU WILL WIN.MY NAME IS STEPHEN.EMAIL ME AT sankrum_tl@hotmail.com, MY FRIENDS PARENTS ARE FIRST GENERATION AMERICANS AND WERE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY THIS COMPANY WHILE THEY WERE ON A CRUISE VACATION THUS RUINING THE SECOND FAMILY VACATION THEY HAVE EVER HAD.

Beware of Phishing Scam!