logo

Test Prep Services
Possibly Fradulent
2. (17 mins ago)
DVDpearl
They tell fake promises and excuses
3. (17 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Scam and cheating

Conns
conns.com
This is kind of a long and drawn out ordeal… In October of 2007, I opened an account with Conn's. I paid every month on time and even added items to my account sometime after. On May 12, 2008, I purchased a 73" Mitsubishi Television. The sales rep's name was Billy. I was told, upon signing the contract, that the new monthly payment for my Conn's account was going to be 176.00 for 3 years and that I was able to skip Mays payment, since I added a new item.

When I went in to make my first payment I was asked which account I would like to pay on. I was confused and asked what they were talking about. The cashier I was talking to called corporate and when she got off the phone she said they just hadn't closed out the old account yet (when you add an item, they add your new item to the remaining balance and create a new account, closing the old one). I made my 176.00 payment and left.

About a month later, (in July), I started receiving phone calls and letters in the mails saying I was past due on my original account. Since it was about the same time my “new" account was due, I decided to talk to someone about it when I went in to pay July's bill. It turned out, instead of closing my old account (which was 92.78 a month) and combining my old account with a new one, they left my old account open AND created a new account for 178.00 a month, which meant my old account was past due for two months.

I was informed by one of their employees (the same cashier I talked to before) that it was against Conn's policy to allow a customer to have more than one account open. I talked to the Store Manager and he told me that, despite the mistake, I was responsible for both accounts, which would total about 270 a month. I told him I could not afford that and if I had known, I wouldn't have purchased the TV in the first place.

He said that I could do a voluntary repossession, which would go against my credit. I was ticked because had Billy (the salesman who made the mistake) combined the accounts like he was supposed to, he would have been able to tell me my new payment would be about 270 dollars a month and I would not have purchased the TV.

I walked out and decided to contact Conn's Corporate Office regarding the matter. I talked to a lady named Lilly and her supervisor Iris in San Antonio. They said 178.00 is what I was supposed to pay for everything, that they didn't close out the old account, but that they did combine the prices of the old account with the new account.

I talked to the Store Manager again and he said that Corporate didn't know what they were talking about. I went back and forth with these people for a month. THEN, I ended up getting in contact with someone from Corporate in Beaumont (their main headquarters)… They told me basically what the manager had told me. They confirmed that no one was suppose to have more than one account and apologized for their employee's mistake. However, since I signed the contracted, I had to pay the two separate accounts.

I asked them if I could pay the 176 dollars that Billy originally told me I would be paying, and just extend the contract for a longer period of time. They said that no one was allowed to go past three years on their account. I told them I couldn't afford to pay what they were asking and that they should work with me since their employee screwed up. I talked to so many different people who gave me the run around.

One person I talked to in Beaumont told me I could combine the two accounts and refinance it, another person told me I couldn't refinance because I hadn't had the accounts long enough and now another person is telling me I can. It seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

They admitted to their screw up and say they want to work with me, but they can't help me the way I can afford it. It is now November and I get calls every day, all day long, from Conn's. Two of their employees (one male and one female), not only call me from an 800 number, but they also call me from a personal cell phone number, and when I don't answer they call 5 or 6 times in a row, sometime even after 9pm.

When I do answer or call back to try to settle things, they tell me the same old stories, which gets me irate. When I tell them I can't afford to pay what they are asking they get really rude and when asked for their names they won't tell me. I finally told the male, to take me to court. He said, “We don't have to take you to court we can come repo all your stuff." At this time, I was so ticked that I told him “good luck finding where I live, since I moved".

He said that it didn't matter because they had my social and could call my family and friends. He asked me if I could borrow money from my parents and I told him it was not their responsibility to pay my bills. He said, sarcastically, “want me to call them?" They have since called my family and started harassing them. My parents' names are not even a reference on the contract. The way I see it, Conn's Corporate is like a parent to their employees as a parent is to their child or children.

When their employees screw up, they are responsible. Instead, I have to pay for their employees' mistake by having Conn's go against my credit whether they repo it or not, because I can't afford to pay. Basically they are allowing their employees to commit fraud and do whatever they want to get a sale. I just don't see the fairness in it all. They should omit one of the N's from their name, because they are con artists.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2009 by   kartim 0 Votes
They are lieing to you. I have had up to four open accounts with Conn's at one time.
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by   Cashier29 0 Votes
HAHA! Can't have more than one account open at a time?! I have people come in and make payments that have 8 open.
 30th of Nov, 2010 by   bsteward 0 Votes
Thanks for posting this I will make sure not to buy more than one item under their financing term due to all the crap they put you though, it sounds as if you delt with Billy Peterson he use to work at Ultimate Electronics and got FIRED for taking money from customers and also was a snake. I worked with him and he is a con artist and likes to screw up thing for a lot of folks.
 14th of Apr, 2011 by   Not very happy with Conns 0 Votes
Just think about, what is the name of the company? That's right "Conns" because that's what they are. I paid for a damn microwave and I got sh***y service. The manager of the store said that "Westinghouse" is the same thing as "Frigidaire", it's not not even close. The manager at the Lewisville TX store said he explained everything to me before I paid for it but all he said was "Westinghouse is the same thing as Frigidaire", what a load of crap. To make things worse, the mangager was not even the person that helped me out. They also didn't explain their return policy but he said that they did explain everything to me before the purchase. Take my advice, go anywhere but Conn's to purchase all your appliances and electronics. This a$$**** of a manager didn’t even know how to calculate 15% of $60, how in the H*LL did he become a manager in the first place. No one at the store knows anything about anything.

Stop Holding for Customer Service