logo

Rip-off

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Classmates/Memory Lane, New York Complaints & Reviews - unauthorized membership billing

Classmates/Memory Lane Contacts & Informations

Classmates/Memory Lane

Posted: 2011-02-28 by    Moa

unauthorized membership billing

Classmates/Memory Lane
New York
classmates.com
Classmates has been taken over by Memory Lane and the new website is using credot card information stored on the former site
to automatically renew, without notice, memberships in the new site. They did it before even notifying me of the new site, thereby
denying the right of refusal.

Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Feb, 2011 by   Bob10123 -1 Votes
They did the exact smae thing to me! I reported them to my bank. They refused to refund my money when I contacted them. I had a two year membership, I had only used 1 year and they billed me $39.00 which is twice the amount of my two year membership.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   MarkTurnerGA -1 Votes
Same thing happened to me. I am going to see if my card company will allow a dispute.
 1st of Apr, 2011 by   Monster1 0 Votes
Yea, I agree, I guess I also seem to be a victim. I want to report them to BBB, but am having a hard time finding their address. Their contact address.
 4th of Apr, 2011 by   jhayne 0 Votes
Classmates Memory Lane charged my old credit card number 39.00. It is very difficult to find a phone number. I knew there had to be one so I pretended to sign up and clicked on to pay by phone. Sure enough there is a phone number. I just got off the phone and they have agreed to credit my credit card the 39.00 fee that I did not authorize and they also removed the automatic renewal from this account.
Classmates/Memory lane 1-800-779-8689 address 333 Elliott Ave W Ste 500 Seattle, Washington 98119-4115 Good luck to all that this has happened to..
 10th of Apr, 2011 by   RTMB 0 Votes
If this happens to you and you are denied a refund, follow these steps; contact your bank and have them dispute the charge, then also contact the (BBB) Better Business Bureau Serving Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington Complaint Department and file a complaint with them, and finally contact the ATTORNEY GENERAL OF WASHINGTON Consumer Protection Division 800 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2000 Seattle, WA 98104 (206) 464-6686 or via the WEB which is easiest and file a complaint. (BBB and ATG are from the area the business is in)
You will be contacted of the status of your complaint by the BBB and the ATG offices. I have since recieved my refund of 39 bucks and my case is closed, in the future I will never have any business dealings with them again. Good Luck.
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   monajean -1 Votes
Thanks for the phone number - I called and got the 39.00 off my card. They will give you the spiel about automatice renewal and not being able to refund once it is on and that they will not charge you for NEXT year, but just tell them you want this charge off NOW.
 15th of Apr, 2011 by   GodBlessYou 0 Votes
The account information they had on me had expired. I was never sent a request to give them updated information as to the new expireation date of my Visa Debit card so the made up some kind of bogus date to run it threw. When I made mention to the them that is was illeagal for them to do that, they argued that it wasn't. I had to get very stern with them and threaten to repot them to the BBB & ATG, Only then did she put me on hold and come back to tell me thay would do a one time refund...LOL. I plan to file a complaint anyway. I believe it is illeagal to put in a bogus expiration date on someones credit card just to take their money. Slimy slimy business pratices. I will never do business with this company again!!!
 15th of Apr, 2011 by   R Hodge 0 Votes
I found the charge on my credit card 04-15-11 charged on 04-11-11. After contacting the credit card company ( they gave me a number to call 206-301-5900) I called their "customer" service for billing. I got the same line about no refunds. Here's what i did...
I stated the site never detailed an auto renew function (over year ago), I received no notice about a renewal and that I knew they had over 1000 complaints about this scenario. Once again the story about no refund. I sternly told the rep this "You will refund the money or I will do three things 1) I will call or file a report online with the BBB in your area, 2) I will contact the Attorney Generals office in your state to file a complaint and 3) I will call the credit card company back and dispute the charges. After being asked to wait on hold the rep came back after two minutes. Now i get the same story as others that the supervisor approved the refund and my account would revert to the free one with NO auto renewal. I stated that I would be cancelling the account, thanked the rep for her help, and got the MOST IMPORTANT thing a cancellation number (actually got this first).
Here's what I'm doing now... leaving the account info intact, credit card and all UNTIL I see the refund. I want no excuses as to why they could refund the money! Once that is done I will then delete the account, credit info off first! If they don't hold to their word of a refund I WILL DO WHAT I TOLD THEM!

Life lesson I already knew folks, always use a credit card, you can better protect yourself by disputing underhanded charges and poor business tactics. I see this company going the way of a lot of other companies in this economy, OUT OF BUSINESS.
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   4 anya 0 Votes
Thanks to all of you who took the time to detail this FRAUD. It is making the process easier for me.
 23rd of Apr, 2011 by   Capt. ronn +1 Votes
These assholes are the kind of business that gives on-business a black eye. They took CC information that they had on file and just banged the account for the $39.00. If you are not sharp and not willing to fight for your rights, they get the money. I suspect the 10% to 20% of the people billed will not have the stomach to fight, so they will make that much money no matter what. This is what we have degenerated into. Moralless money grabbers. If you have been billed and are reading this, fight it to the end as I and others will. Shame on them.
 25th of Apr, 2011 by   suz11 0 Votes
The same thing happened to me. I received no notice for renewal and I had checked the box last year to not renew automatically. Since they changed Compainies all that went away and I had to idea until I checked my online banking and found $39 taken out of my checking account. I have e-mailed them to refund and they refuse saying I gave permission to take the monies. . I will contact the 800-779-8789 and will also follow up with a letter to their office. If that does not work I will contact the BBB. I also will never do business with them again. I feel they are crooks and what they are doing behind everyones back is illegal...
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   sherri30721 0 Votes
They just charged me the $39 also, called my bank first. they said they would dispute it for me but we had to wait til it posted, I finally got classmates phone number by calling Truste.com and they gave it to me. I called classmates and he promised me he gave me a full refund, I will check with my bank tomorrow to see whats being done. If I don't get it back I will go back to Truste and file a watchdog complaint on classmates.
 27th of Apr, 2011 by   Smokeonu@yahoo.com 0 Votes
They just charged me the $39 also, I will call my bank also to dispute this charge. I will also contact Truste.com as well. This is uncalled for. I cancelled my account with Classmates.com over a year ago. Until this charge, I had not had any charges from Classmates.com.
 27th of Apr, 2011 by   Mrs. Teapot 0 Votes
I have a thought going on here and don't know if this will help anyone who has yet to be billed, but maybe you need to remove your billing info from your account. Am thinking they are able to bill the people who have billing information stored in their account on Classmates/Memory Lane. I just happened to log-on today for the first time in nearly 6 months and didn't even recognize the website! They never as much as sent any type of an email notification either, and I am signed up for those types of notifications. And my email remains the same and they have it marked correctly. I'm still not certain what happened - did CMates sell, or did they merge with another business? Well, long story shot, I deleted my credit card info along with my automatic renewal information and authorization. I'm just glad I happened back to the website when I did and was able to remove that information before any renewal can take place.
 27th of Apr, 2011 by   suz11 0 Votes
I called my bank today and put a freeze on Classmates/Memory Lane from being able to get into my bank account. I then e-mailed Classmates and told them what I did and that I was also filing a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office and Better Business Bureau. About 30 minutes later I got an e-mail back saying they were going to refund $38.58 and canceled my account. Good enough but I am still filing the complaint. How many other people out there are getting ripped off by them and don't know what to do?
 28th of Apr, 2011 by   Pat Castro 0 Votes
I too am being ripped off by Classmates Memory Lane. I contacted them about 2 months ago and told them to stop withdrawinhg $15.00 monthly from my account. Again today, my statement shows another withdrawal of $15.00. I contacted them by email today to unsubscribe and was given instructions on how to do so. I was told that at the top or bottom of any page there will be the word "account". Click on " account", then click on "Account & BIlling". Then under "Account Information" click "Turn Off Automatic Renewal". Click "yes" to confirm your decision. Confirm your Account Billing page now reflects your desired renewal option "Manual". Problem is, I cannot find any page that has the word "Account" at the top or bottom so I an folow these instructions. What a rip off! I too will contact any and all persons/organizations to get to the bottom of this and have my membership closed. Good luck to all of you in getting removed from their membership.
 28th of Apr, 2011 by   Mrs. Teapot 0 Votes
This is for Pat Castro - Pat, I just logged onto my classmates account to see if I could help you out with your not being able to find your account. When you log into your page, scroll all the way down to the very bottom where the area is gray all the way across and everything is in white font. There are 3 rows of white font and on the top row, about 5 choices in you will see "account". It actually reads Memory Lane Home/ About Us/ My School/ My Profile/ ACCOUNT/ Careers/ Help - All choices are clickable and in your case, click on 'account'. After you do that you will have more options that will be in blue lettering up an ddown on the left of the page. Your options begin with 'Personal Information' and you want to click on the 2nd one down that reads "Account & Billing". Anyone who has automatic renewal activated will be re-billed when your 'subscription' has expired. So it is up to us to de-activate that option if we no longer use classmates. And I would suggest scrolling a couple more options down and checking out what your 'email subscriptions' are, to see why they are not notifying you of their actions. I hope this might help you out.
 28th of Apr, 2011 by   Althais 0 Votes
I would like to thank everyone that posted a note on this site. I just found out that classmate charged me a $39.00 renewal fee. I will be contacting my bank first, then classmates. I hope that I'm as lucky as some of you were and get my money refunded and my membership canceled. The information I obtain from this site was very helpful. Thanks again. Althais
 30th of Apr, 2011 by   ISS1935 0 Votes
I also was automatically renewed. This wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the fact that my password is not recognized and I am unable to read any e-mails /news items because I need to "upgrade" my membership, as if I only have the free one. I cannot find an e-mail to write my complaint to and will now do everything possible cancel an unsolicited renewal and to stop anymore payments.
 2nd of May, 2011 by   RMT144 0 Votes
They just did this to me too. My bank said to try and dispute the charges with the company and get a Confirmation # and who I spoke with. I talked to Sara, operator #4927. She reversed the charges and canceled my account. I am calling my bank back with my confirmation #. The number I dialed was 1-206-301-5900. RMT

Health Care Reform is Unconstitutional