logo

Tianshi/Tiens
Is product really working
5. (1 hr 18 mins ago)
Panasonic Viera LCD TV TH-L32C3 BUNDLE
Item paid but later declared out of stock and then refused to issue an immediate full refund

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Century Link Complaints & Reviews - Lies to cover poor service

Century Link Contacts & Informations

Century Link

Posted:    shinoda2005

Lies to cover poor service

Century Link
So this 'internet provider' can barely provide internet. After finding out that my business only had 1.5 Mbps, we were upgraded to 5 Mbps, along with a new modem being sent for free. Sounds good so far right? Well sounding good is as far as it does. Companies like this hope that people wont call in and complain because they are so concomitant they can't handle any thing or do anything right. After running their FTP speed test at the direction of one of their technicians we found that the speed was too slow to even run the test! This was AFTER we supposedly had the speed upgrade.

Then there was the modem. After spending about four hours on the phone with numerous customer service reps, all of who gave me wrong tracking numbers for the modem that hadn't even been shipped. After more calling I found that the order hadn't even been put in. The last person I talked to during the day said the he put the order in and that it would be delivered by a local tech to my business the next business day, which would be a Friday, and that I would get a call 30 to 45 min prior to the delivery. After hearing this I was satisfied, but as with almost anything dealing with Century Link, the satisfaction doesn't last long. I found that instead of getting a free modem like I told, we would be paying rent for one.

The next day came and I was waiting for the call from Century Link. My father came in and told me that a Century Link van had been in front of my building. Upon hearing this I called Century Link asking if it had been delivered. I was told that it had been. I was never given a call and the rep said that the request had appointment times between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. I had asked the rep that I talked to the previous day numerous time if he had even the slightest idea as to when the tech would arrive and he said that they don't know that information. So I run up to my business to find the modem, nothing was there. I called them again, which I'm currently still on the phone with them, and apparently the modem had been shipped out, and there was no tech going to deliver the modem.

The tech I'm currently on the phone with gave me the exact same tracking number I was given yesterday, and it's still invalid, he's now trying to pass the buck, which doesn't surprise me. As it stands now, the effects of the upgrade should be seen by Monday, and the modem should arrive that day as well. We shall see...

Whatever you do, stay away from the ISP, they are not worth it by any stretch of the imagination. They wonder why people are leaving them and they're losing money. It's because they give people every reason to leave them. The only good part of them is their local techs and that's because they're local people who think!
Comments United States Internet Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Jul, 2010 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
Shinoda2005,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the DSL issues that you've experienced. I would be more than happy to help. Can you email me your name, account number, and any additional details on the issue? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Our customer outreach team has been helping customers online for over two years. Please let us know what we can do to help. Thanks!

18th of Nov, 2010 by   fjpor 0 Votes
Unfortunately, all companies are the same. Most (like Cox) here know that you have very little in the way of choice so they gouge you and give you the customer non-service on a continuing basis. I have all Cox and my choices are Centurylink - (not, I think after reading the complaints on the page) or I can go to DirecTV/Dish who are no better. Until we get net neutrality passed we can expect no better service from any of them. My friends/relatives are spread out over DirecTV, Comcast, Brighthouse, BellSouth, etc and their list of complaints are all the same. My son worked in the end of the industry dealing with cell phones and the customer service was horrible there, too.
 22nd of Dec, 2010 by   internetuser87 0 Votes
Century Link High speed 10 Meg service is fast and reliable. People can purchase their own DSL modems. why dont people like the person who listed this complaint just buy there own. seems to me like they create all this drama them selves. you can purchase broadband modems and routers fairly cheap. you can run your own speed test with out having technicans do it for you. there are many things that can cause internet troubles. they work through a vast infrastructure and rely on other networks carriers to provide service. ambiguity. cell phone carriers are the worst. 300- 400 phones. 100 dollar a month service plans. no guarantee of service. customer service these days are a thing of the past. you have to take care of your own issues and not expect people to do everything for you. no body cares about your problems anymore. choose options that are the best fit for you and your applications. I have had centurylink and never had any trouble with there service and havent had to call them fifty times. I would hate to be customer service rep and deal with people like the person who made this complaint.
 1st of Jan, 2011 by   norman5 0 Votes
what modem /router is compatible with century link? Their sales rep tells me that many aren't compatible.
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   claudea 0 Votes
It is with out a question the worst of the worst, i have never dealt with a company worst than Century Link. I got nothing but LIE AFTER LIE. I saw an advertisement for century link about buying a bundle phone and internet for 49.99 i already get phone service from them and I also needed internet service so I called to get info i was told that i will get the first month of internet free and they will waive the installation fee (15.00) and I can cancel within 30days if I am not satisfied.I advised them that i wanted to buy my own modem will that be a problem i was told no problem at all and was told that they use westell 7500 model and there will be no problem at all and just to make sure of that they connected me to tech supp to make sure everything will be ok, i was told by tech support that getting my own modem is no problem all i have to do is plug and i am all set as long as i have the right model, fine, so the sales person put the order in gave me a order number and told me when i decide that i want it to call back and give the order number and they will activate it. That sounds good, so i made sure that nothing was activated just yet i want to talk it over with my husband and i will call back. a week went by i called Century Link and gave them the order number only to find out a modem was shipped to me and the order was activated a week a go!!!WHAT? and I will not get the first month free and i was charged 15.oo dollars shipping fee for the modem that I do not want. so the sales person apologizes and adv me maybe the previous sales person was still in training but i will help you and make sure everything is ok. i asked her again there will be no problem if i get my own modem and if tech support will be avl to help me if i needed help i was told no problem what so ever.ok it sounds good, so i went ahead and went with it.Well on the 21feb2010 at 7pm i was supposed to get my service i hooked up my modem everything lit up except the internet light I called tech support told them what the problem was and told them that it is my own modem the reply was that they WILL NOT HELP ME because the modem is not from them and was giving westell (the maker of the modem) ph number for them to configure the modem to work with century link system. I was furious, I called tech support again gave them the spill on what was verbally agreed on with century link before agreeing to this deal and they need to help me, I was told that they can configure the modem but they will not do it because the modem was not from century link .FURIOUS, I asked for corporate ph number only to be told THAT CORPORATE DOES NOT HAVE A PH NUMBER, what? I asked to talk to a supervisor, the supervisor was as incompetent as the rest of them or even worst, mind you i had to tell her the spill again, the reply was i will not help you and you need to order the modem from us.Again I asked for corporate ph number and was told by the ethical supervisor that there is no such thing as a ph number for corporate office, told her what you guys are doing is illegal and unethical and I will make sure that they will be held liable for this . I am in the process in contacting BBB and the attorney general this is totally unacceptable work ethics. CENTURY LINK STOP LYING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
claudea,

I'm also sorry to read about the troubles you've had. If you email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com I'll be glad to see what I can do to help. Thanks.

1st of Jun, 2011 by   BigC23 0 Votes
I had service from Century Link for roughly a year. During that time I never once got the speed they claimed. I was paying for 3mb/s and most of the time it stayed at 1. I have seen it go as low as 300kbps.

In late December early January I decided I had had enough and would not like to renew service. I called them and notified their customer service representative that I would be like to discontinue service. The representative I spoke to said that would be fine and that service would not continue. As soon as my payment was received they reconnected service and now are saying I am on the hook for several months of service I had explicitly asked to be disconnected from. They claim that there is no record of the call even though I can show very clearly from my phone records that I spoke to them twice in the two days prior to payment being sent. When I asked to see their records of my calls the second level manager I spoke to said he could not authorize that and that it could take a week for them to get that information to me. Like he couldn't just do a print screen and e-mail it. He also said that even if I had asked for service to be disconnected it would have been reconnected automatically because I paid electronically through my bank rather than paying over the phone. That also makes a whole lot of sense.

Century Link are the worst internet provider I have ever dealt with. I hate that companies do this kind of stuff. They know that it's a large enough sum of money that it's a pain to pay but not enough to make it worth going to court over and just completely take advantage of people. I will be posting this story on every consumer board I can find. If you live in Central Virginia I would go with anyone else besides Century Link they will not deliver the service that they claim and they will lie and rip you off. Also, at $65/month or whatever it is now it's not even competitive with the other providers in the area.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
BigC23,

Joey with CenturyLink here. I'm sorry to read about your troubles as well. If you email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com I'll be glad to help out. Thanks.

9th of Jul, 2011 by   shinoda2005 0 Votes
To internetuser 87, this might be over a year old, but I just saw your comment and you sir are an idiot. I have 10 megs at my house and it's no more reliable that any other speed. Where's your smart ass reply to that? It goes out and is slow many times. Century has told me that if I don't have their modem they can't give me the 'proper' help that they do people with their modem. So what's the point in having my own then as they'll just write it off as my modem not being good. I know how to do my own speed test and run them constantly to find out my speed. That's when I call in when the speed isn't what I'm paying for. If the speed is fine I don't bother. Centurylink should stop spending money on other companies and put it into their aging infrastructure. They should also off better training to their employee and get a better system in their call-in centers. I know that companies don't care and why should they when they have people like you who mindlessly try to make them look good. They're a crap company plain and simple. And as for you Mr. internetuser87 must be nice to work for them eh?
 12th of Jul, 2011 by   todaysmodernconsumer 0 Votes
Same story here. My father has CenturLink and has nothing but problems. Throughput not as advertised, they till him the area is under construction (for 2 years), his cable modem shuts off periodically and now they want to rent him one (scam?) and the customer service is a joke. I use Comcast and they are a dream compared to these guys. What a joke! Look around, don’t take this crap. We are investigating shifting him to satellite. It might be more, but we are willing to pay for quality service and superior products. It might take time, but trust me CenturyLink will start to feel the impact of their lackluster opinion on their customers. ps. I wish you the best Joey and it is a good start.
 23rd of Nov, 2012 by   Zcool798 0 Votes
So here is a very long rant about Centurylink whom i despise with such passion...its amazing.

I recently had my Westell 7500 start having connectivity issues, fine my bad its almost 3 years old its fair. Found a number for a local CenturyLink office by me which is only an hour away in Chaska, MN. Talked with the man their happily sent me out a brand new router the amazing and wonderfully shiny PK5000. I get it the next day and was happy as all get out. Hooked it up everything went smooth until i started playing xbox and was constantly receiving "Connection Interrupted" issues. Shrugged it off to Black Ops servers and kep playing. This went on for about a week till I gave up and finally called in. I was instantly told taht the PK5000 was defective and had constant disconnecting issues since the beginning of the year this call was placed 11/19/2012. They knew about these connection issues since January!! Told me that the issue with the PK5000 wouldn't be fixed till December around the 15th. Just furious now, so they once again told me they'd send me a secondary router to take over till the PK got fixed. This new router would be here by Wednesday, since next day delivery was put on it. Nothing on wednesday, of course yesterday was thanksgiving, and now here we on Friday and nope it will be delivered monday.

Plain out furious now that im paying 76$ for 10mbs a month!!! And my old router from them is barely pulling 2mbs. I told them I needed a router today I pay for their rental situation and still nothing! This secondary router could have been sent to me from Chaska, instead it was sent from Kansas!!! BS, most horrible business ever. I do alot of remote access and my signal is constantly dropping with the Pk5000 and the westell 7500 i have currently. It doesn't just effect gaming but my job to, if im paying to rent a router then I fully deserve one that works.

Let me just touch base on a couple of other issues here. I've had "crappylink" for almost 4 years now since no other providers in our area. I was paying 65$ for 1mb. I believe i just heard your jaw drop. I moved to a bigger city now upgraded to 5 mb oh 70$. Finally upgraded to 10mb and now its 85$ a month. I've gotten raped literally on prices, I deal with customer service who I found if I call in 3-4 times usually around the 3 or 4th time I call in I actually get someone that is willing to help me with my issue. I have been told service would be hooked up when I moved so I could continue my job would be the day I moved in, it took 2 weeks of them messing around to finally realize they had my settings configured wrong and it was not setup properly. So now a full month and I have had crappy internet service and I am getting sick of it.

This company was great in the beginning, but now for some reason or another has just completely failed me. With horrible prices, horrible customer service, horrible product, and most of all the inability to be understanding on any of this. Forever more centurylink will be that company that constantly gave me the "I apologize we are unable to help you with this"

Don't...DON'T...100% DO NOT go with this company as you will be severly disappointed.
 29th of Nov, 2012 by   Pamela123 0 Votes
Oh wow now I am scared. I have not yet called century link but I have ordered it and my direct tv has been up now for about 7 days. I bundled. My modem has not been delivered but I am waiting and hoping that it all goes well. If not I will be on here again soon.
Pamela
 29th of May, 2013 by   Pfeasal021 +1 Votes
I had services with Century Link for a month. When the tech installed the modem they did not wire it correctly from the phone line to the switch. They some how got download speeds of 40 and upload speeds of 12. I called them because my service was still cutting out and freezing and could not install any updates. My last time I called them they were supposed to give me a knew box and it was an old one so I canceled the contract because I had a service tech come out 5 times and the issue was never resolved. they charged me 200 for the cancellation. I am just about finished with my associates degree in Computer Science and Networking. I actually know what the Issue is but they are to lazy and cheap to fix it. My mom has been having the same issues with here modem and their phone service is even worse.
 21st of Jul, 2013 by   reneem299 0 Votes
I don't know where to begin...so let me start at the end. We just received a threat of disconnection if we don't pay Century Link the amount of a modem that was returned to them. We were talked into the high speed deal which they were unable to provide so after 3 modems we decided to go back to our original internet speed, of course we are paying for high speed. We had already been charged and paid for the modem so had to wait until they received the last one to receive credit. Two months later I spoke with a rep who said it could take up to 2 billing cycles after receipt of the modem to issue credit. I was told they would make a note on the account and to pay the bill minus this credit as the credit would appear on my next statement. Another month passes and it doesn't show on the billing statement and now have received a letter of disconnection if I don't pay them this past due amount which is for a modem that was returned to them. If anyone asks me about Century Link I tell them they will regret doing business with them - I have.

Consumer Fraud in Health Care