logo

Posted:    DisappointedMobina

Selling unhealthy kittens

Ragmeister Ragdolls of Southern CA
San Diego, California
This breeder advertises that they are national recognized as a top breeder of Ragdoll cats. They also claim to have a "3 year health guarantee, " however, it only refers to if the kitten dies within 3 years due to hereditary and congenital defects.
It was apparent immediately that my kitten had no experience with human contact during it's early weeks (being held, touched, played with) prior to my adoption. It was scared of any human contact for the first few weeks. It had it's first vet appointment one week after pick up from this breeder. It had been diagnosed with herpes, upper respiratory infection and conjunctivitis (an eye infection brought on by the herpes.) I have since had my kitten back to the vet 4 times due to chronic symptoms. In addition to this, upon initial inspection, my vet discovered remains of a severe flea infestation in its fur. Luckily my kitten had been treated so it was no longer infested. However, the remains a.k.a. "feces" remained all over it's coat.
I am deeply saddened by the severe neglect of this breeder. I feel he is selling unhealthy kittens without properly alerting the buyer of their conditions. It is likely the other kittens in the same litter have contracted all the same viruses as mine. Since he breeds multiple litters at a time, I would be weary of the conditions in which this is being done in.

Comments United States Cat Breeders
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Oct, 2010 by   Complaints Against Cat Breeders 0 Votes
There is no excuse for selling sickly kittens or cats

14th of Oct, 2010 by   Complaints Against Cat Breeders 0 Votes
CFA needs to be held criminally liable for THEIR CFA cat breeders doing harm to their own pedigreed cats

17th of Oct, 2010 by   vakdevi 0 Votes
How do you tell if a complaint is the exception not the rule? I have researched breeders and thought this guy was one of the good ones and have purchased a kitten from him and am just waiting for her to arrive later this week. My plan is to continue as planned, however, I am now nervous. Still this is the first complaint I have found about Ragmeister in 6 months. What a sad situation. How is the kitten doing now?
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   Complaints Against Cat Breeders 0 Votes
To read more about this cattery latest info you can view our "Whats New" page http://ca-catbreeders.info/whatsnew.html
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   vakdevi 0 Votes
Thanks Complaints Against Cat Breeders. I copied and pasted the web address in and read that the charges were investigated by officials and found to be completely unsubstantiated and that all kittens were found to be healthy and socialized.
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   Complaints Against Cat Breeders 0 Votes
I have 2 sites if you ever have any kind of trouble with the breeder with a sick kitten/cat or health issues please contact the 2 sites and file your complaints to the proper agencies.

I wish you much sucess and happiness with your new kitten from that cattery.

here are the sites
Complaints Against Cat Breeders
Stop Inhumane Cat Breeding

To read about what goes on inside CFA go to:
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   vakdevi 0 Votes
Thanks. I hope I don't need them, but appreciate the support.
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   Complaints Against Cat Breeders 0 Votes
I also pray you will not need them. I pray you kitten will be 100% happy, well adjusted and 100% healthy in every way. God Bless you
 24th of Oct, 2010 by   DisappointedMobina 0 Votes
This is an update to the blog I posted on Oct 9th, 2010. Shortly after I posted my initial blog, I contacted the breeder to alert him of the situation. After a thorough discussion, he assured me that this is not something that he runs into with his kittens. He agreed to refund me my vet bills once I submitted them to him.
After the 2nd round of medications, the symptoms seem to have subsided a bit. There’s still the pinkish eyes and occasional sneeze and eye matting, but I am hopeful that this is something that will lessen as time goes on.
I am happy to report that after much human contact (at home) from family, friends and loved ones, my kittens have become very socialized, friendly, happy, and playful. They are everything I had hoped them to be.
I can understand how the breeder may have felt after reading my blog. If I hurt his feelings, that was not my intent. The fact is that I was disappointed. I paid the Cattery a lot of money and expected to not have to pay costly vet bills that I feel could have been avoided. I intended to write an updated blog sharing the breeders initial cooperation (with or without his prompting.) To say that I was trying to ruin his good name and reputation is absolutely false!
I chose to go to the vet when I felt the sneezing, red and running eyes were not getting better. Sometimes things do not show up right away. My vet was very caring and provided the best care he knows how. I trust that my vet has the best intentions when he prescribes his treatments.
Health conditions aside, my kittens are beautiful, loving, funny and enjoyable creatures. I am hopeful that moving forward, the health conditions will be less and less and we can move forward living health lives together.
I believe that the owner did not intentionally sell me sick kittens and am confident he will continue to do everything in his power to assist in this situation. I’m also confident that the owner will stand by his “100% health guarantee.” Due to these three things, I would still recommend his Cattery.
 12th of Nov, 2010 by   vakdevi 0 Votes
I also want to update my comment. I received my kitten with no problems at the date I was told. She was sweet and cuddly and not a speck of any dirt flea or otherwise on her. Her eyes and nose were clear. After some initial huffing at my dogs, she got used to them and now sleeps with the shih tsu. Her first vet appointment 6 days after I got her was routine: she was and continues to be in perfect health. I can not tell how glad I am that I did not cancel the purchase of her from Ragmeister which I had researched among other catteries before deciding on it. My kitten is growing like a weed and is frisky, healthy, affectionate, and a delightful new member of my family.
 7th of Apr, 2011 by   kristeejo 0 Votes
I had almost the EXACT same thing happen when I picked up my kitten from this "cattery." He obviously doesn't care for his animals and I would NEVER recommend him to anyone.
 15th of Jul, 2011 by   Alley Cat 0 Votes
He will not keep his end of the agreement. I had my kitten neutered as agreed and mailed him the paperwork. After phone calls with no answer and several emails I still haven't received his registeration papers!!!
 15th of Jul, 2011 by   Alley Cat 0 Votes
I omitted to say I have been waiting three and a half months!
 10th of Aug, 2011 by   loveforragdolls 0 Votes
I bought a beautiful ragdoll kitten off of him for my breeding program and have to say I never had a problem. The registration papers did take a while to come in but I have been told from numerous breeders that TICA is very slow! I did eventually get my papers and am glad to have a kitten from him. I would recommend him any day over some I have dealt with in the past.

Tips for Cyber Monday Shoppers