logo

Avvya
FAKE/TOXIC SOAP
2. (36 mins ago)
DHL
DHL non delivery and theft!
3. (38 mins ago)
Security staff

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Careington Dental Plan, Tennessee Complaints & Reviews - poor/ nonexistant discounts

Careington Dental Plan Contacts & Informations

Careington Dental Plan

Posted:    magikgenie

poor/ nonexistant discounts

Careington Dental Plan
Tennessee
Careington Dental Plan advertises up to 60% off of regular dental fees. In reality, WITH the plan I was quoted higher prices than at my regular dentist with no discount. Do not waste your money on this service.
Comments United States Dental Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Nov, 2009 by   kvirg21 0 Votes
Careington strives to satisfy the expectations of their members. If a participating dentist is not honoring the fee schedules that they have agreed to charge by contract please contact our Member Service Department at 1-800-290-0523 so that can be investigated and you receive the proper discounts.

If you need additional information please feel free to call Careington.

Kris Virgin
Director of Licensing and Regulation
Careington International Corporation
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   John Tiernan -1 Votes
This was my first and last experience with this company. I contacted them initially after Googling dental insurance. I downloaded a fee schedule that was a total fabrication filled with misleading fee comparisons and outright fraud. What is worse is that when I went to the dental office that supposedly accepted the plan for a teeth cleaning they totally blew it off and after an exam gave me a detailed ala carte menu of cleaning services which came to $380.00. This I was told by the technician was what a complete cleaning cost.

The Careington fee schedule I downloaded and was subsequently sold to me by the rep I contacted when I signed up was as follows:
Cleaning--$94.00 Fee with Careington 501 plan $$27.00 Savings 71%.

If it's to good to be true it is. The dentist, COAST DENTAL in Cape Coral, Fl (one office of a large corp with many offices), that Careington'se discount price of $27.00 was only for polishing the teeth and that his ala carte price of $413.97 was the non discount price for a total teeth cleaning. In my opinion both of these entities are practicing fraud and deceit on a large and consistent scale.

To make matters worse only 2 days had elapsed since I signed up with Careington and when I called them to cancel they refused to return my my $20.00 service fee. I am still fighting this. What has happened to the dental industry??? These corporations have turned it into a used car lot. For more info Google Careington/fraud.

An additional note: I contacted Kris Virgin of Careington at the number listed on his rebuttal and he assured me of a complete refund. We will see if I get it.
 28th of Mar, 2010 by   Dancing Bill 0 Votes
Discount dental plans such as Careington work well with honest dentists. Coast Dental is a large chain that is known for inflating fees and recommending procedures you may not really need. If a dental office doesn't honor the discount schedule, change dentists. Above all, avoid Coast Dental.
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   liah 0 Votes
this company is a scam . Careington is a discount plan that cover nothing ..they give u a list of 20, 60% discount . when u go to the dentist they cover the plan ..scam scam ..wanna my money back..
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   liah 0 Votes
sacm way from this people...
 30th of Mar, 2010 by   Dancing Bill 0 Votes
I've been on the plan for years and pay according to the discount schedule, which saves me plenty. If your dentists doesn't do so, you need to call Careington Member Service.

A few years ago, I had one dentist try to charge higher fees, but when I showed the office the schedule, they reduced my price to the published discounts. I changed dentists soon afterwards.

If you are new to the plan, to be safe, take a copy of the discount schedule with you on your first dental appointment. Talk to the office staff first to be sure there's no misunderstanding.

The plan has worked for me for many years and I will not pay retail prices for dentistry ever again. If you are too lazy or stupid to learn how to use Careington or any other discount dental plan, then by all means, pay the higher retail prices. You make my savings possible.
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   gberkeley +1 Votes
I've personally used this plan on several trips to the dentist, from basic exams and x-rays to fillings (no root canal so far!). My dentist is incredible (SUPER nice) and he recommends people check out this plan--I guess he's gotten a lot of new patients through recommendations and word of mouth because it ends up being so affordable.

Anyway, I asked what my fillings would have cost without the plan and they showed me a copy of the bill without the discounts. It was over $600 dollars. I had just paid about $300. Works for me...
 28th of Apr, 2010 by   worshipgirl 0 Votes
Well, I have my first visit on Friday and I will see. I hope it is what it says it is.
 10th of May, 2010 by   TPAGrl583 0 Votes
I have had Careington for a year now and they automatically debited my checking account. When my debit card expired, they did not notify me, instead, they cancelled me. When I called to reinstate my policy, they told me that I could not merely update my bank information to re-establish my account. No – they told me I would have to drive to my bank, pay for a money order, pay for 3 months premium and mail it in. Seriously???
This sounds like the type of business someone runs out of a trunk and the message is very clear - this company does not care about its members or they would not have such a neanderthal policy!
 20th of May, 2010 by   9847572716 0 Votes
The most recent comment is of complete ignorance. if your debit card expires or cancels, its your responsibitlity to deal with your regular debit transactions. with ALL insurance if you want to REINSTATE then you have to pay for the time that you werent paying. you can cancel then try to resign up. its reinstating because if something happened to you in that period where you werent paying, they would cover you for that period once you are caught up.
 20th of May, 2010 by   Azlee 0 Votes
I have been researching dental plans and came across Careington and it sounds really good. I did read a few negative responses but a few good too. So I guess the best thing to do is see for myself. I'm going to join the plan online through the 1dental.com website today, and need to see a dentist for work as soon as next week. I'll be sure to give my feedback. -Az
 28th of May, 2010 by   CapeCoral Chuck 0 Votes
May 27, 2010
For the past week, I researched numerous Dental insurance Plans and Discount Plans. Careington appeared to be a great plan... so I called three of their participating dentist for quotations.
All three participating dentist quoted prices higher than the published Carington price list and they were also higher than non-participating dentists that quoted prices for the work (root canals and crowns) wherein I would be a self pay patient.
The "Insurance" plans are designed to lock you into an HMO dentist. The PPO dentists did not offer any discounts to the patient, even if the dentists were a part of the "plan".

Why pay for membership or insurance if all you get is a fee or premium to pay to the insurance company or discount service?

My wife and I will continue to be self insured and self payers.
We can shop around for the best price/service without paying any premiums or fees.
Our goal is to get high quality work/service at realistic prices.
I had the same disapointing experience as John Tiernan of Cape Coral FL when I contacted the dentist at COAST DENTAL in Cape Coral, Fl.
I also contacted two other dentists on the Careington list and received the same inflated (non-discounted) rate quote.
I doubt that there are any participating dentist willing to do the work at the published rates on the Careington website.
Fortunately, I was able to learn what I learned before signing up for any program or incurring the unreasonable costs and billing at rates dramatically above the member prices.
Careington and the other discount providers must provide their members with a guarantee of the published charges and go-to-bat for the member if/when the dentist overcharges for their work.
 5th of Jun, 2010 by   saintjames 0 Votes
i recently found out about this insurance. now hearin that is a scam, what would be the best dental insurance to go to?
 2nd of Jul, 2010 by   terryray 0 Votes
There is so much mis-information above, it's hard to know where to begin.

1. Careington is a GREAT plan, and will save you money, IF you get a reputable dentist!

That's not rocket science folks.

2. If you say Careington is a scam because you run across a dishonest Dentist, you should be sued for slandering Careington. That's not free speech, that's a public lie hurting a reputable company.

3. If a complainer will merely set aside their paranoia for a moment, they will see that they can either (1) contact a different, more reputable Dentist, or (2) contact Careington about a Dentist who is not abiding by the rules, or whose Receptionist may simply not be "on board" yet.

You WILL save money. Think! Why would Careington want you to pay the higher prices? It has no benefit to them. Again, think!

4. We have gotten crowns, for example, for about $400. The other dentists in town are averaging $1100 for the same procedure. Cleaning is less than half!

Again, this is not rocket science, folks, but you may have to do a half-hours research to save hundreds of dollars! Too much to ask? Sheesh!
 18th of Aug, 2010 by   Stevepb +1 Votes
Any time someone complains about Careington - or any other dental plan it's because they didn't get the discount they expected to get, or they can;t "call in" and cancel their plan because the company has to have an advanced notice . HINT: READ YOUR MEMBER TERMS OF SERVICE!

If you haven't been to a dentist in YEARS and want your teeth cleaned, then you will need a deep cleaning, xrays, scraping, etc. NO ONE is going to get that for $27. I've been using Careington for years and am very happy with my discounts. I saved $1, 000 on a bridge, $352 on a crown and my wife has saved almost a $1, 000 on work she had done in July 2010. Careington is NOT a scam. I've had it for years and use it in lieu of my "we won't pay for that procedure" Blue Cross Blue Shield "dental insurance."
 10th of Sep, 2010 by   JohnSt 0 Votes
I had a lot of work to be done and Careington was recommended to me by Aspen dental in Pottstown. It saved me $3000 off my $7ooo bill. If you use Aspen, it will save a lot.
 11th of Sep, 2010 by   MaxDental.com 0 Votes
Here are the REAL facts about the Careington dental plan. First full disclosure: our company has represented Careington as brokers for 9 years, so we deal with their customers on a daily basis.

Yes, we do get a few complaints about dentists not honoring the discounted fee schedule. Usually this is a misunderstanding on the member’s part because they think the fee schedule applies to specialists as well as General Dentists (it doesn’t – you only get 20% off the regular price at specialists). Also, lab fees are not discounted, so the total price of a crown is usually higher than schedule. Not many procedures have lab fees. Careington has over 40, 000 dentists and we see a few (very small number) that add unreasonable charges to the bill. Careington’s Customer Service Department does an excellent job at resolving these types of problems. Most of our customers are VERY happy with Careington’s discounts (over 9 out of 10) and experience about 40% average savings at participating general dentists. Most of our business comes from referrals from dental offices that want to give a discount to patients with no insurance and referrals from existing members.

It’s easy to verify that Careington is a very reputable company and has been in business since 1979 (over 7 million members). Careington is a member of the Better Business Bureau.

Go to bbb.org – click “USA site”, click the orange bar “check out a business” and enter “Careington”. Click on the first link (Careington International) and you will see they have an A+ rating.

Many large companies use Careington’s network (like Humana, New York HIP). Also the National Association of Counties has partnered with Careington to offer a plan through county governments nationwide. (Search Google: national association of counties careington).

Be careful not to overpay for the plan. You will see a wide range of prices. That’s because Careington markets the plan through brokers. Brokers re-price the plan at their discretion (like a McDonald’s franchisee selling a McMuffin for $1 or $3). DentalPlans.com offers the 500 series plan for $139.95 per year for an individual. Our firm offers the lowest price on the internet: $6.95 per month (plus $20 one-time set-up fee). Our site is MaxDental.com. If you do a Google search for Careington, you will see us near the top of the results. We are a BBB Accredited Business.

Jerry W. Crater
Owner
MaxDental.com
 13th of Dec, 2010 by   HockeyGirlBoxer 0 Votes
I purchased Careington a couple of months ago and have found the plan to be wonderful! I went and had x-rays and an exam for $70 due to dental pain, then I went back a few weeks later and had a cleaning for $34.oo. I have recommended this plan to many friends and the person who wrote this complaint probably went to a dentist that didn't honor the Careington plan, so the fault is with them.
 6th of Jan, 2011 by   Kyle44 0 Votes
As someone who used to work in the discount dental plan industry for several years I can attest that most often it is foolish to purchase a dental plan even if you don't have dental insurance.
I have found when looking for a new dentist that they will often negotiate their fees below Careington's fee schedule and others fee schedules as well. It's a win win situation for both parties. You (the client) get a discounted rate and don't have to pay for Careington's fees and the dentist gets a new and loyal client.
Kyle
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   Felix A. 0 Votes
Hello
I purchased the Careington 500 dental plan online about five months ago and have nothing but good things to say about the plan! I went in needing a root canal, post build up with a crown. I entertained (3) different estimates from(3) different dental offices without any insurance and none of them could come close to matching the careington discounts I received. I paid just under $400.00 on my root canal. Just for the root canal along I saved over $600 alone compared with the other different dental offices without no insurance! All I'm saying is "It worked for me". I had always carried dental insurance in the past until my medical retirement and now I'm force to evaluate and re-evaluate my every move concerning dollars out of pocket spent! I used the internet reviews in the past to help sway me. This might help you with your decision on this plan! When your in dental pain doubt. Why not take a chance.

Identity Theft Has Many Forms