logo

GLD Myscore
Unauthorized charges / false advertising
4. (34 mins ago)
BeBodySmart/Shahzad Paul Ph.D.
order has still be sent...
5. (36 mins ago)

Buffalo Wild Wings

Posted: 2011-04-19 by    Starmar87

Harassment and Racism

Buffalo Wild Wings
I was interviewed by the Bar Manager and General Manager at the new Buffalo Wild Wings in Ames, Iowa. They originally told me that I would be getting $8.50 plus tips (tip-share) as a part-time greeter/cashier. I took the job, and management told us through orientation that they would discuss tip-share after orientation was over, so I waited. In the meantime, I was harassed by a woman working as a trainer for corporate, she favored the younger (teenage) workers and looked the other way when they refused to do their jobs (mostly sidework.)Three workers (myself included) picked up the slack, cleaning toilets, rolling silverware, mopping the floor) because these girls would lie about doing it, or just not attempt to do it at all.

I was one of about six of older employees, and by the time I left all but two quit. I had regular comments about my age (I'm in my mid-twenties) and I was bullied about being "old" and it caused me quite a bit of stress, especially since the teenage girls (the majority of the employees) refused to work with me. I can understand that there will be some drama, clique behavior and fighting especially considering the environment, but I had so many teenage servers refuse to wait on customers (they would sent them back to the greeter/seater, telling them loudly that "they probably wouldn't tip, give them to someone else!" None of these girls were reprimanded.

The last straw was when I overheard my trainer use several racial slurs referring to asian-americans. My husband is asian, and so are a large portion of my family members. I decided that it wasn't a family environment and made plans to look for another job. However, pay was good - so I kept trying to convince myself to stay, and my husband supported my decision. Later on in the week, a couple of my cousins (of Laotian background) dined at Buffalo Wild Wings and the server jokingly made some off-color jokes about asian customers, and made a poor attempt at speaking mandarin saying gibberish such as "ching a ling a chong". They were offended and told me that the restaurant was horrible, they would never dream of going back.

By the time I was made aware of the treatment of my cousins, I was ready to leave. I got my paycheck and it was less than what I expected, I confronted my trainer about it, and she said that Buffalo Wild Wings never does tip-share because the poor waitresses (teenage girls she loved so much) only make so much money an hour. I know that, and they were aware of that upon hire. I have a lot of friends in the restaurant business. However, I was promised that tip-share would be included in my pay by both the General Manager and the Bar Manager, and nothing was done about it.

Due to all these problems and the amount of stress and unprofessional behavior, I ended up quitting. My friends and family refuse to dine in anymore and instead we opt to eat at home. I tried to get the number of Human Resources or corporate in order to file a proper complaint, but it was never posted anywhere in the restaurant.
Comments United States Restaurants & Bars
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Apr, 2011 by   scott967 0 Votes
You should contact an attorny about a lawsuit for race discrimination.

Beware E-mail Scam Targeank Accounts!

Latest Groups