logo

Job scam / fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

bidcactus Complaints & Reviews - Auction site is a con!!

bidcactus Contacts & Informations

bidcactus

Posted:    djdj

Auction site is a con!!

Bidcactus
bidcactus.com
I was excited to try this auction site. However, after spending $75 (it cost 75 cents for each bid!) and a whole day (from 10 a.m. to 6pm), I didn't even win one bid! Please DO NOT waste your time and money. This is an auction site for people who have the extra dough to throw away. If by chance you do win a bid, you most likely would have spent so much money buying the rights to bid at 75 cents per bid, you would be better off just buying the product yourself!

Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Aug, 2009 by   djdj +2 Votes
Bidcactus is a scam, there are only a few auctions running, and most everyone is bidding at the same time, chances are you are NOT going to win, meanwhile you are out the amount of money for bidding! Totally agree, BIDCACTUS is a SCAM
!!
 15th of Aug, 2009 by   seb33sf +3 Votes
Thanks for posting. I have been looking at this site without buying, and it really looks to me like a gambling site masquerading as an auction site. I say this because:

1) People who lose at traditional auctions generally walk away empty handed without having spent anything, except perhaps a small membership or entry fee. On Bidcactus, you can lose virtually unlimited amounts of money without ever winning an auction.
2) People who win at traditional auctions generally pay for the item itself, whereas gamblers spend money by throwing their chips on the table hoping to win. On Bidcactus, the final sale prices are minimal, but all those losing $0.75 bids add up fast.
3) Auctions typically make money through item sales or by taking a small percentage of the sale price from the seller. Gambling enterprises make money from losing bets.
4) Winning on Bidcactus has an element of basic strategy (bid at the last second), but it seems to be mostly luck. Few people on eBay would stop bidding on a $50 gift card because its price hit $1. While traditional auctions also contain elements of unpredictability, the person with the greatest chance of winning is the one willing to pay the most for the item, not the one who lucks out.
5) A surprising number of items on Bidcaster are cash equivalents (either bid packs or gift cards). Play cash to win cash. Need I say more?

These are just my opinions, of course. In Bidcactus' defense, their site clearly explains how the bidding works and how they make money. They even recommend watching several auctions before jumping in. Barring any laws to the contrary, I have no issues with betting-for-fun sites. However, I am still a bit disturbed by the idea of people jumping into this with an auction mindset as opposed to a betting mindset (as you appeared to do). The methodology of Bidcactus has significant differences from typical auctions. I would prefer to see this site promoted more as a play-for-fun site (with perhaps some pages added to explain problem gambling and where to get help).

After reading your story about losing $75 and 8 hours of time (sorry to hear that), I have concluded that this is the most likely outcome for me as well. I am going to pass. Again, thanks for posting. This has been a really good reality check.
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   RobbedbyBidcactus +1 Votes
I was a high performing bidder on bidcactus. I can't disclose my bidder name but have won numerous items!
Although I received some low cost prizes - i.e -$20 Dunkin Donuts Gift Card, $25 Barnes n Noble Gift Card

I NEVER RECEIVED THE SAMSUNG TV THAT I WON

I NEVER RECEIVED THE APPLE MAC MINI I WON

I NEVER RECEIVED THE $100 AMEX GIFT CARD I WON

STAY AWAY- KIP (supposedly a Customer Service Rep) & Marjorie (part Owner) ARE SCAMMERS!!!
 4th of Sep, 2009 by   LadyJane +2 Votes
I recently came across the site and decided to watch and see what happens. I saw two people, named gold777diamond and alisa2333 win WELL more than 3 items in a day. There was one time when these two people were winning all 8 auctions. And gold777diamond would bid on something the second they posted it, which to me seems REALLY fishy since who bids at the very start when they know everyone waits til the end and then the clock adds time? Either this person has billions of dollars to waste, or it's someone hired to increase prices and take money with lost bets. This person always also seems to win the "bid on bids" items. Seems like a huge scam to me.
 9th of Sep, 2009 by   Tony_Me +3 Votes
Its a scam and this proves it.

14th of Sep, 2009 by   daivalin +3 Votes
It's a game of chicken. Instead of swerving your car because you think the other guy won't, you make the next bid because you think nobody else will. (You want to make the last bid, all others just cost you money.) Simple as that. Some very good gamblers win the items, everybody else loses their money and the site makes a fortune. Also, I have no doubt it is crooked because of the prevalence of one ID making the first (incredibly stupid, never-winning) bid immediately after the item is listed. Obviously a company shill, either human or computer. THERE IS NO WAY TO SEE WHAT SOMEONE ELSE HAS WON, so unlike e-bay, there is no way to see if a bidder is legitimate or fake. I vote for a lot of fakes who either work for the site or are the site computers themselves. Either way, don't waste your time and money unless you are a rich masochist.
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   marlodakota +2 Votes
I wish I had seen this complaints board before I too had lost money at bidcactus. After spending to much money and time, it became obvious that most winning bidders had an autobidder program placing their bids.
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   StayceeLynnS1978 +2 Votes
I just stumbled onto Bidcactus.com today. I bought 25 bids for $18.75 right away. That money was gone in less than an hour. After about 1/2 hour of watching the different bidders, I started to think it was a scam. Now, about 12 hours later, I'm back on the sight watching again. All I see are the same people winning the auctions. I truly believe this sight is a scam and hope that you won't buy into it like I did. I just wish that i would've saw this sight before blowing money on it! I hope that this will help deter you from making the same mistake that I did. Keep your money 'cus it's really not worth it.
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   theprosumer 0 Votes
I have a friend who wanted me to help him with starting one of these auction sites. So I have been reading message boards to see what people think of them. There is a lot of concern about scams. I have my own site at surveysandprizes.com where I give people points for taking surveys which they can use to get rewards. I suggested to him that maybe I could set up one of my rewards as free bid packages for his auction site. Do you guys think that would be a viable way to take the fear of scam out of these types of sites? This would basically allow people to earn free bids on an ongoing basis.
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   Steve01 0 Votes
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   Steve01 -1 Votes
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   Steve01 0 Votes
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   PennyAuctionWatch -3 Votes
Steve01, as the owner/editor of Penny Auction Watch http://www.pennyauctionwatch.com

I will tell you that I AM not a convicted felon, I have never committed a crime. Your blog is a blatant lie/defamation of my website, me as a private person, Zoozle, BidRodeo, Rockybid & Bid Cactus all of which have actually shipped people items.

Take a look at Bid Cactus' Alexa ranking, 6, 701 in the US, and you will see why there are so many bidders.

If any of you have questions regarding any penny auction site please feel free to join the penny auction forum at http://www.pennyauctionwatch.com/forum

My best regards,

And as for you "Steve, " ''Gertrude" whoever, I'd like to know why you are spreading blatant lies/slandering me all over the Internet.
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   PennyAuctionWatch -1 Votes
"Its a scam and this proves it.

Tony, that post that you posted does not prove anything nor does it even mention Bid Cactus.
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   lopa +2 Votes
I totally agree, this site its a scam, sometimes the word DONE (which is used when you have won something) suddenly appears and the right next 1 or 2 seconds it goes away and people keep bidding. I have seen it and it has happen to me. I could not prove it because i did not have a picture, or a video, of it, so i couldnot do anything about it. So my advise if you are going to bid please put a video camara right in front of the screen, so they dont fool you.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   bzdizzy -2 Votes
If only I had found this page earlier I wouldn't have joined BidCatus. For those of you who don't understand what everyone above you is trying to say, let me break it down for you.

You don't buy each bid for $0.75 but rather packages of bids ranging from $18 (what I bought) to $75 (for 100 bids).

Each bid only adds a penny to the auction but 10 to 15 seconds to the clock which allows other bidders to outbid you easily.

I lost all my bids but watched an auction with an initial time of 15 mins go on for 2 hours. This particular bid ended at $5.80 which means 580 bids were used. The site made a profit of $435 - still a $300 profit for a $100 giftcard.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   sarajean +2 Votes
Boy, I wish I would have thought to check this "SCAM" out on line also. I purchased the $18.75 package for 25 bids and that was gone in no time, with no wins. This was after I watched the auctions for 2 days to see how it was done. Silly me, I purchased a 50 bid package for $37.50 and still no wins. I was convinced that if I could just win a bid package, I would be ok. I was studying again today and was thinking of purchasing again. I think I will just cut my losses and move on. Wish there was something we could do or some way we could prove this is a scam.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   jax1 -2 Votes
Thanks for being here for me to read. Me too could see the con side and the good side. I could see all the money they were making at 75 cents a bid. But hey those packs are not equal to 75 cents in each auction. But could I win one of those packs? How much would I have to spend at 75 cents each to just WIN a pack? At least 25 wins, likely more like the bigger packs. So now how many other people bought a minimum of 25 packs today like me almost? "Other people" just made Bidcactus a ton of money. And some of the prizes you win, were bought by Bidcactus at a discount for buying in bulk probably.
That's why the increments aren't that high, because it takes so much for one to give up on it, in the meanwhile how much did each of those bids cost? I watched an auction so close for a $50 gift card that one particular user spent 22 bids, stopped at 59cents and it finally sold at 75 cents, like 16 bids later. That's more than half of the 25 bids ($18.75 worth) I ALMOST bought today and just ONE auction. and even if ten other people were suckered into buying 25 bids, $18.75 x 10 = $187.50 paid for that $50 card 3 times over. Do the math with 100 people, it paid for all those gift cards today and that WII given out daily.
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   idonwanna -2 Votes
Participation in Bidcactus like most things has a learning curve. I started in August and bought 100 bids, and 75 bids. Won NOTHING. But because I view it sort of like gambling, which is not available in NC and I know for certain that on line gambling is fun right up until you try to collect winnings, I thought what the heck and bought some more bids, $75. For that I won two $50 cards (barns & noble and Macy's) and a $25 blockbuster card and 25 bids all of which were received via UPS. A month later I bought total $300 in bids, won $860 in various cards, a 32" panasonic TV, a Kitchen Aid blender and a set of expensive steak knives. All of which have yet to be delivered. Considering the oldest of the above is 5 days old I will wait to report the receipt. There is definitely a learning curve, and a good time to bid. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out. Oh and I won about 800 bids for less than 50 dollars. So I still have over 500 bids.
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   PatzeeP -2 Votes
Why does anyone care about how much the penny bid sites are making?
Isn't that the point of all auctions wether it's a penny auction or Ebay?
Or any business for that matter! The point is to make money, not give
things away. If you don't want to spend your money on a chance to win, don't purchase a bidpack!
Do you purchase lottery tickets? You know how much you are willing to spend on
a chance to win X amount of money. This is basically the same thing.
Figure out a strategy and how much you are willing to pay for something and stick with it.
After reading many, many websites and posts, there are lots of real folks posting about
winning and getting bargins. However, I am concerned about some who say they won
big items, i.e TVs, WII etc and have not recieved them. It also concerns me that you can watch one day
and see the same bidders all day long, but come back every few days for amonth or more
and never see those bidders again. I'm not convinced it's not some kind of scam with the site having fake bidders. But I certainly don't care that the sites are making money if all bidders are legit!
Once and if I decide there's not "fake people" bidding against me I'll probably join in the fun!

How to Get the Best Possible Tax Return this Year