logo

BB&T

Posted:    Stephanie

Excessive Charges and Fees

BB&T
BB&T is robbing its customers of their hard earned money. I am a fairly new BB&T. When I begin my accounts, I specifically told a customer service representatives that I wanted my checking and savings account to be linked for overdraft protection. A couple months later, I was out of town making purchases. Normally I will transfer funds between accounts. On this occassion I was unable to do so but I knew or thought that funds would automatically be transferred over "because I was suppose to have overdraft protection". I made 5 small transaction during my travel totaling $16.00 I was charged $170.00 in fees. I although I did not write checks, I used my debit card as "a credit transaction" due to their program "Visa Reward Points" if you use credit and instead of debit. I had appropriate funds in my savings to cover $16.00!!!!!! but they did not move funds over. I contacted the bank, and they stated that I had not signed up for overdraft. I am very itelligent person and worked at a bank for many years. They did not sign me up for overdraft protection not myself. They refused to refund the fees and then I was charged $2.00 for making more than 2 calls to customer service per statement cycle and top of that when they finally linked the accounts. They automatically withdrew the $200.00 from savings to take care of the overdraft but charged me $10.00 because they did and I did not transfer the funds over. When called to inquiry as to what the $10.00 was for since it was noted as "misc debit- no description what so ever of the charge" I was charged another $2.00 per call. What is the point of having overdraft protection if I am going to be charged by the bank for the service. Suppose I am ill, in a hospital unable to transfer the money? BB&T has probably made millions from deceiving customers.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Nov, 2008 by   ANONYMOUS 0 Votes
Yeah I think that is unbelievable that they charge you to call customer service. I actually just found this out myself when i checked my bank online and discovered a $2.00 PHONE24 charge. called and asked what it was...then they informed me it was for calling...so great, I just incurred another $2.00 charge! I am switching banks ASAP!
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   alodum 0 Votes
I just fell prey to the $2.00 per call charge as well. I was mistakenly charged twice for a purchase, and customer service told me that I needed to call back once an hour to make sure that they removed the incorrect overdraft fees after the charge was removed... I had to call back 3 times because the customer service rep gave the company the wrong fax number to send the removal authorization to... and then lo and behold was charged $6 today for calls to customer service. Unbelievable!!! Charging people to call customer service... clearly I wouldn't be calling them if they hadn't fouled up my account!!! I'm getting out of BB&T so fast heads will spin.
 22nd of Dec, 2011 by   Mike Lawter 0 Votes
BB&T took approximately $110.00 from me.
 2nd of Jan, 2013 by   CLuvsDaKidsMang 0 Votes
hahaha f*ck them! Switching banks too...just found the $2.00 phone charges on my account after they took over Bank Atlantic in Florida and switched my accounts...yeah right, next!
 16th of Sep, 2013 by   L. Conner 0 Votes
I recently went through a very similar issue with BB&T...Got me for $180 in fees and today I saw the $2.00 (x3) Phone 24 fees...WTF? I called them to work out an issue that they helped create and I have to pay for the phone call? Without being alerted that they were charging me?

So done with BB&T...In the process of swapping now.

Fake Airline Promises Free Tickets