logo

US Pharmacy
constant telemarketing
2. (11 mins ago)
Radaris.eu
Failure to remove personal info
4. (34 mins ago)
Buy Bulk Meds
buybulkmeds.com Biggest Scammer from Pakistan
5. (47 mins ago)
Winn Dixie

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Barclays Bank, llbean visa credit card, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - unfair practice for balance transfer

Barclays Bank, llbean visa credit card Contacts & Informations

Barclays Bank, llbean visa credit card

Posted:    Angry in New Jersey

unfair practice for balance transfer

Barclays Bank
PO Box 13337
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I had inherited this credit card because LLBean changed Visa Providers. I noticed in my bill that they were offering a 2.99% interest rate for the life of the balance for any balance transfer. When I called, I SPECIFICALLY asked customer service rep about any hidden charges or fees I would incur by transferring a balnace. The answer was NO. I asked this questions THREE TIMES! All resulting in a NO answer. The customer service rep, Peter, told me that I did not have to use the checks enclosed in my bill and he would be more than happy to transfer the balance over the phone. Well, beware of the helpful customer service reps...

I received a 3% charge on my balance for the transfer. I immediately called and spoke to Supervisor Loita McNeal . Basically, her answer was WE DON'T CARE THAT YOU ARE UPSET!
The kicker is that I didn't even request this card. I got stuck with it because its who LLBean has decided to give their Visa services to. So, after I check the fine print on the back of the statement, I will pay off the balance except for the 3% charge and only pay them monthly the smallest amount possible. Now, I will cost them money to maintain, in good standing my balance for their delightful charge for screwing me!
Angry in New Jersey
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Mar, 2009 by   blbny 0 Votes
It will be a cold day in hell before I ever use anything associated with Barclays again. Such a shame, too...as I love LL Bean and have shopped them for years. I've purchased skis, snowshoes, jackets, shoes, backpacks, apparel, sleds, everything under the sun. I make it a point to detour through Freeport whenever I'm in Maine just so I can stop at their store. But, since I use their Visa for the "freebies, " they will now loose a most of my business.

I closed my account with Barclay's this afternoon. Back in January, I received a statement with a ton of fee's for none-payment. This has never happened to me - I sent them a check payment on time, as usual. When I called them months ago, the rep. on the phone reversed all the fee's because I had sent payment. I thought this was all taken care of until today - when I received my statement. My APR shot up to something like 23%!! I called and they said it was because I had a delinquent payment. They were the rudest people I've ever dealt with; treating me like I was some sort of deadbeat. I kept telling them the fees were reversed because I did indeed send payment. They keep telling me they can't control the mail (like I can?). How convenient an excuse...and the perfect way to scam fee's. How do I really know the mail failed??! Maybe these people threw my check in the garbage just to raise my rate and hit me with fees - or- one of their ever-so attentive CS reps could've lost it. I had a Citi card a while back where my check was actually applied to someone else's account?!
And, yes, I really did send a payment. In fact, if one of these drones bothered to look at my history, they would have seen I'd been paying the card off completely - on time - every month.
I have never gotten so angry with a CS rep.; to the point of telling them to go to straight to hell. Who wants to deal with a company that makes you that aggravated??? You would think Barclays would want to keep their good customers. Use some common sense before branding them degenerates. Pull my credit report, look at my history - they'd easily see my accounts have no problems.

I called LL Bean's CS reps - as usual, they were outstanding and professional. I think everyone who's had a bad experience with this bank should let LL know. They're ruining LL's name and costing them customers.

Please LL, drop this crappy bank soon - I have a lot of shopping to do but I'm not doing it through Barclays.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   Veronique Foti 0 Votes
I had the LLBean credit card for years with no complaint. When they changed to Barclay's Bank, I accepted their balance transfer offer. The balance transfer check (to another visa company with Barclay's Bank) cleared but was miscredited. Despite inquiries since November (and a copy of the cancelled check they finally produced), they claim they do not know whom it was paid to and I finally, after harassment by the other company, paid the disputed amount to them but am still paying the transfer check plus interest. In the meantime, my credit rating has been ruined. After this unresolved horror story, I will NEVER deal with LLBean or Barclay's bank again.
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   cje 0 Votes
Yes they are a horrible bank and I am a customer of LLBean and had the experience of Barclay not sending the credit card bill in November, calling me in December on Christmas Eve and telling
me I missed a payment. Rasing rates and not notifying me that they were doing their dirt. I have never had a problem receiving bills or making a payment on time . Barclay is useless to speak with. Nasty, Nasty and unprofessional. We shall see if LLBean stands behind them or their customers. I have spoken to LLBean Customer Service 4 times and just today sent a letter to LLBeans CFO Chris McCormick. They need to do something about this Company or they will lose several more customers. Sorry for all the grief people are experiencing but I was glad to see that I was not alone. CE
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   Hates Barclays in Seattle 0 Votes
I just received a letter I owe 150$ for a 9.$ charge made 6 months ago to LLBean.
Barclays never sent me a bill. It was sent to my"email".
It's "your your problem you made the charge."
I can see I'm not the only one being ripped off by them.
What recourse to we have?
pissed off in Seattle
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   Carol Crabb 0 Votes
This same thing just happened to me--they sent me an email bill - and I never got it because my SPAM system on my email caught it and wouldn't let the bill come to me. I had originally owed $2.95 and they told me that now I owed over $100. After much arguing, Barclays agreed to have me pay only the $2.95 but they said they would have to cancel my card. I will call LL BEAN to complain. I would like to have an LL BEAN credit card, though. North Carolina
 16th of Apr, 2009 by   rhode island red 0 Votes
I thought I was the only one!! I've been an LL Bean customer for 30 years and NEVER had a problem with them or when their cards were through Bank of America. I've had the Barclay's card for 6 months and have had nothing but aggravation. The bank's customer service reps are arrogant and don't care about Bean's customers. When I wasn't getting any satisfaction I mentioned I'd have to cancel my card, the rep said to go ahead, he could do that faster than to find me the answer I called about. Hey, LL Bean!! You're voted one of the top companies for customer service in the world consistently----do something about this!!!
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   edg 0 Votes
Did anybody notice the Bean/Barclay card is a 20 day account? And that the statements are mailed late so many times the payment has to be mailed the day the statement is due?

The card rep said they are receiving many complaints about the 20 day period and that will have to change it next year due to a new Federal Law. Why not change it now? LL Bean says the problems are between the customer and the bank and they are not involved. Now is a good time to run this one up the flag pole since Obama is castigating credit card companys .
 29th of Apr, 2009 by   Rosemarie 0 Votes
We received a 25 dollar late fee in addition to a 1 dollar finance charge for a 9 dollar bill that they posted 3 days after the due date. We are currently cutting up our LLBean card at this moment. We will never shop at LL Bean again or use any service even remotely connected with Barclays. Disgusted in Waterville, Maine. Rosemarie Kenney- Lavin Home State of LL Bean!!!
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   wport 0 Votes
I have been a loyal LL Bean customer for 30 years, and switched from Bank of America to Barclay's because I expected the same excellent customer service form them as I get from LL Bean. Reading these other posts, I see I am not alone in my frustration with Barclay's.

I received a 3% charge for using the courtesy the checks issued by Barclay's bank as well, and was not informed of this when I called to ask them to send the checks to me. Imagine my surprise when I got my bill which had a $500 fee on it. I had planned on paying off the bill in full when I got it, which I have done every month for the past 20 years. So, in fact, I paid $500 to float $17, 000 for two weeks. Isn't that what a loan shark charges? I called customer service and got nothing but rude consideration, bounced form person to person and was repeatedly told that the rate was on the check. I finally got a fax number and address from them, and sent my bill with the charges and a copy of a blank "courtesy" check, which has nothing of the sort on it! This was three weeks ago. I called and asked if they got my fax. They replied that the had, andthat they sent a letter declining my request (which I still have not received.) Again, the same rude manner. I guess that must be because they are used to talking to people who have been ripped off, like me. I called LL Bean, they could do nothinb to intercede on my behalf. I plan to pay yhte bill when it comes, and cut up the card. This is my first time using the courtesy checks, and it will be my last. I also noticed that all of the terms and conditiond printed on the monthly statement conveniently leave out this interest charge figure. Shame on you, Barclay's- you are a predatory lender.
 28th of Jun, 2009 by   blbny1 0 Votes
If you are looking for free shipping at LL Bean but don't ever want to use their Barclay's card again, try this code: 3003260

I found it online, just used it and it worked! When checking out, enter it in the space provided under the "promotions" tab.

Good luck!
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   Angry in NH +1 Votes
Absolutely rude customer service. LLBean should be ashamed and nervous to have a partnership with Barclays. I tried to use the email route with a complaint and Barclays sent me a cut-and-paste boiler plate response which clearly showed they didn't even open my account history to review it!! how embarrassing. And I know this sounds crazy, but I feel that they have "lost" two of my online payments in the last eight months...keep your payment confirm numbers! I didn't...and they dinged me $39 and the finance charges. I noticed the very next day after payment was due (I always check to make sure my payments were made as expected on all my bills) and made payment immediately. No understanding from Barclays. I got the "you signed a contract, blah, blah blah." I also agree that the 20 days is crazy...by the time I get my bill, I have less than one week to react...what if you're on vacation? Nonetheless, we had it only for free shipping, so if the code aboves works...I'm good...the coupon earnings were not great anyway, especially since I can get 1% CASH back on other rewards cards...Closed it!
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   tmf13 0 Votes
They also have the Carnival Cruise line card so watch out for this one as well. I got the card with the bait and hook 0% intro rate. The first mistake I made was getting the card right before I moved - the second was thinking I was smart to register for the online paperless banking so the move wouldn't be such a problem. So the card I got was a Carnival Master Card ... the bank name on it is Barclay ...the EMAILS you get are from a very suspicious looking cc.juniper email address which my SPAM filter immediately flagged. I also didn't recognize it to find that mistake. I admit I was late then with the first payment and they automatically charged all the late/interest fees they could find, revoked the promo interest rate, and took all the "sea miles" away. I feel they intentionally use all these names so it is easier for mistakes like this to lean in their favor. BEWARE!!!
 7th of Aug, 2009 by   blbny3 0 Votes
Hey, you can still get free shipping without using that awful credit card!

Visit http://www.retailmenot.com/view/llbean.com
for the free ship coupon code - 3012422 is the current code.
Enter it in the "Promotions" section.
Used it tonight and it works fine.

I use to be a loyal LL customer - had their credit card for several years. I will never use a credit card backed by Barclays - NEVER! It's disappointing that such a stand-up company like LL Bean would partner themselves with such trash!

Good luck!
 7th of Aug, 2009 by   JessicainMaryland 0 Votes
I just cancelled my L.L. Bean Visa after having it for more than a decade. The interest rate jumped from 10% to 29.9%. Bank of America, which you may recall had the L.L. Bean Visa before Barclay's, gave me 1.9% on everything I transferred and then a fixed rate of 11% after April 2010.

I am so turned off that when I did my kids' back-to-school shopping this week, I went to LandsEnd.com. (And they were having a sale!) I love L.L. Bean, but not enough to have a 29.9% APR and bad customer service.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   jwalkervermont 0 Votes
I join the list of people who feel screwed by Barclays Bank and by extension LL Bean. Like others I had enjoyed shopping LLBean. When Barclays took over I received a balance transfer offer which I accepted. At the time of the balance transfer I had a small balance with them of around 90.00 with 15.00 due. I had always paid my bill on line to keep the finance charges low but for this particular month I did not receive the email that my statement was ready. When I did check I noticed I was two days past the due date. I paid the total amount immediately figuring I might get the late charge but will call them and explain. When I got my next statement not only did I have the 35.00 late charge but the interest rate had jumped to 28%. They credited the late charge but would not lower the rate so I cancelled the card. That move seemed to have upped the rate on the balance transfer also to 28% (although it probably would have went up anyway). I then moved most of the balance to a BOA Credit card with a 2.99% rate. That left me with a balance of about 500 plus dollars. But because they do the daily balance thingy my August bill had a finance charge of 110.00 since they didn't post the transfer until 7/31. That left me with a balance of 659.00 which I just paid in full even though I could't really afford it at this time but I did wanted to be rid of them. Needless to say I won't be shopping LLBean until they ditch this card company..
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   JohnInConnecticut 0 Votes
I just cancelled my LL Bean card. I happened to notice the interest rate had gone for around 11% initially when they took over from BOA to 26%. When I called them I was told it was due to 2 late payments putting me in default. I always pay the entire balance every month and to payments in question were applied 1 day late. Their service rep was at first seemingly helpful and said they could lower the rate, and transferred me to the person to do that. That person said they could lower the rate to 23%! End of conversation. I am now writing a letter to the CEO of LL Bean to let them know that a 20 year + customer is now history.
 20th of Sep, 2009 by   CNMC 0 Votes
I just canceled my LL Bean credit card, too. I noticed my interest rate jumped up to over 26%. When I asked why, the "relationship manger" from Barclay's couldn't tell me, but said that there were many people paying higher rates. I've always thought LL Bean was a socially responsible company that cared about its image and the people who shopped there. I will call LL Bean tomorrow to let them know that my family, which has a tradition of shopping at LL Bean for more than 50 years, will no longer shop its catalogs and stores if they continue to put their name on Barclay's credit cards.
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   nothappymn 0 Votes
Glad to see I'm not alone. I have been an LL Bean customer for 20 years and have never had a problem with them or their credit card companies until now. Barclays has not sent me a bill for the past two months and then has called to collect payment over the phone. When this happened the first time, the customer service rep said that the bill may have gotten lost in the mail. In any case, they jacked up my APR to 22% even though I have never been late or missed a payment in the past. I negotiated a lower rate of 20% which is still complete robbery, in my opinion. Last night I received yet another call notifying me that I had not sent in a payment for September. While on the phone with customer service, I physically went through my checkbook register, my bank statement online and my "current bills folder." I realized that once again, I had not received a bill from them! I have excellent credit (well, I did prior to working with Barclays- don't know how this has affected me) and I am very diligent about paying every single one of my bills in a timely manner. Of course they treated me like any deadbeat credit card holder who claims not to have gotten a bill. Outrageous! I have transferred the balance of my card to another card with a 7.14% interest rate and am closing my account with LL Bean. Barclays needs to be reported to an entity that can deal with their fraudulent practices.
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   Eileen M.Callahan 0 Votes
Please, please
I do not want checks sent to me.
I have my own checking account.

Eileen M.Callahan
31 Hickory Way Mt. Arlington N.J
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by   mandamoose 0 Votes
O happy day to see I am not alone. On the one hand, I am sad because I've always loved LL Bean, but on the other, I REFUSE to do business with this horrible Barclay's, so I canceled their card. I actually did more shopping at Lands End this year for Christmas, even though I prefer LL Bean, but on principle I am just not going to forego the free shipping and monogramming I used to get. I had a $0 balance forever on my card, but missed a $4.67 payment (that's right, FOUR DOLLARS AND SIXTY SEVEN CENTS) that automatically posted to my account after I failed to return a movie to Blockbuster. I'd forgotten that I used my LL Bean card as my default card there. One day out of the blue, I received a letter from Barclay's stating that they were a) reducing my credit limit, and b) raising my percentage rate to something crazy (I think it was over 25%) because of "too many late charges." Um... what?? For a balance under $5 that I missed ONCE? I was so outraged that I immediately canceled the card. As the above posts concur, I was treated like a sack of you-know-what from the guy at Barclay's. The woman at LL Bean could not have been more courteous, and suggested that I state my complaint to her so that she could record it. Apparently LL Bean does take complaints seriously, but if they were really serious, they would ditch Barclay's. I will do what one commenter did, which is write a letter to the LL Bean CEO, but somehow I doubt that will fix it. It's a sad day for LL Bean when they are literally losing customers because of a stupid decision to move to Barclay's. Bah humbug!

Antivirus Software is a Waste of Money